ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson with the last laugh

Dude....OSU has hung 59 on Nebraska last year and had s severe beat down of Wisconsin in a championship game of the Big Ten a few years back. You're reading too much into this. I think we would have done even worse with Kevin "Otis Campbell" Wilson this year at the helm. Stop the nonsense. There's a lot of football to be played. Don't go on these stupid tirades about Glass over a game that got away from us in the final 21 minutes. I've been to plenty of Michigan or OSU games where the thing was over at half time.
Who's causing all the trouble this time? Ordfan 15.0 or that fpeagh guy? Both are on ignore.

IU had 18 returning starters and OSU lost a ton of players to the NFL. Wilson played OSU tough last year with the same team that Allen got trounced with so it seems to me that coaching was the.biggest disparity
We lost 38-17 last year in pretty much the exact same fashion. It got away from us in the fourth quarter. Actually it was almost 45-17 but I believe a TD got called back on a penalty.

Also, your line of logic here is an incredibly stupid and dangerous road to go down.

Do you know how off the wall your story sounds, Superstar84b?? I mean we're talking about a coach making millions of dollars to be head coach!! You're telling this board that his players didn't even have a play book!?!

I'm blown away by this...as a fan, what in the hell are we supposed to think??
I want to make it clear that I'm not saying this to be malicious towards CKW. I personally like him and respect him as a coach, and a wiser older man (although some may disagree with the last part). I didn't like his firing. What Wilson did bring was toughness, and he demanded that you be tough/aggressive. He forced you to respect the program, and he didn't accept any complaining. The team needed that, the team needed to demand more from itself. this was a coach that I personally saw tackle a running back in practice for not running hard enough. Some may call that over the top, but no one viewed that as (abuse), and that is the kind of intensity that he brought. That helped the team improve, and I think that Stephen Houston will tell you that he's happy in hindsight that Wilson took that sort of interest in his practice performance.

It's also true however that what he brought in toughness, he simply didn't bring to defense or any kind of organization. I know for a fact that many players didn't have a playbook on defense, and that even the few who had one prepared didn't really take an interest in it. This was evidenced in games like Rutgers in 15' or Minnesota in 13' or even BSU in 12'. If it seemed odd that a defense would look that incompetent even with improved recruiting, its 100% because having a football IQ was not enforced. Even look at Michael Hunter's improved performance when he went to Oklahoma State and now he's on the New York giants. This is the same Michael Hunter who was torched against Bowling green in 14'. I don't think his poor performance was a reflection of talent per se, but coaching and a lack of organizational structure. The same coach who would tackle offensive guys for not going hard and demand results, simply didn't have that level of structure on the defensive side whatsoever. Mike was one of the more talented players I played with, and I'm proud of him. He got so,e heat on the board for transferring, but I think that he highlights what was going on in our program compared to other programs, and the move paid off for him. He's more physically gifted than players we have lining up today, but we never saw that at IU and I think that it was largely due to the lack of structure. And although it's not CKW's fault per se, it is his problem as the head coach. At a certain point you'd expect him to step in and fire a coach mid season if need be for the complete negligence.

So on one hand Wilson brought a certain level of toughness and enthusiasm that was needed. On the other hand there was a certain lack of structure brought to the defensive side, and he didn't particularly enforce structure consistently. He got guys to play hard, but does that help if you don't understand cover 3? Players like Hunter didn't just magically improve when they left. There must've been a different level of structure at Oklahoma state. My assumption would be that TA brought this kind of structure which is why Scales went from being just a good linebacker, to maybe one of the best in school history. Or why fields went from being a rotational backup to one of the top DB's in the conference. Or why some guys who played in 15' magically disappeared from the lineup in 16'. I think that moving forward TA is going to have the program in good hands because he brings Wilson's toughness, but also doesn't have that side of recklessness/negligence from what I see. I have never met TA because my final year was the season before he came in, but just as an observer who knows many of those guys, there's a difference.

Sorry, dude, but this sounds like pure, unadulterated BS. You're talking about Wilson's handling of the defense when you were supposedly a player on the team but there's not a single mention of Mallory, Knorr or any other defensive coordinator or coach in your posts. Not one. And what does "giving a sufficient amount of energy to the defense" even mean?

Why would he talk about coordinators when the argument he's making is about CKW?

I think halftime adjustments certainly played a role, and Wilson can be credit for that on the offensive side, but there were also defensive adjustments that contributed significantly. That, on top of the depth on tOSU's roster, I believe, accounts for the 2nd half last night. Both the offense and defense for tOSU had the luxury of rotating players much more frequently than IU could.
Congrats on an intelligent analysis of what actually happened. People trashing Allen after one game loss against OSU is laughable. Have battle at IU is going to be a mindset which Allen brings in spades. If IU even goes 7-5 this year it surpasses any season Wilson had, and I liked and appreciated what he did to get IU to mid-tier level. But I believ Allen will get us to next level in near future.

Reactions: 76-1 and IUgradman
Kevin Wilson is gone. I have not read or seen any interviews where he disparages The Hoosiers or their team. Unquestionably, he did bring a vast difference to IU football. For God's sake, he has 2 children attending your great school. Let it go!

If he was a "Hugger" it would have been different ..... gotta consider the audience.

Fact is investigations were made and could find nothing to hang him on. So what is the next step? Assasinate his character. No proof needed for that.... where else is that seen? Consider the audience

Tears before a game shows strength... gum throwing shows moxie... holding people accountable and demanding more shows.... an @$$hole

Move on.... proof will be in the pudding

Opening the University up to lawsuits typically isn't a good way to keep your job.

Jesus Christ. We lost to Ohio State. All that means is that we aren't going to make the college football playoff now. The horror.
You have an idiotic excuse for everything.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Who's causing all the trouble this time? Ordfan 15.0 or that fpeagh guy? Both are on ignore.
You're very smart to ignore the people whom you're unable to BS. You're a complete fraud.

"We're going to win and it's going to be glorious!" This is all we need to know about your football expertise.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I would have preferred to have gone out and gotten a coach with proven success at a lower level like a Fleck or Brohm, but Allen did wonders with our defense last year and wasn't going to stick around for another season with bigger programs interested in his services. Glass made a gamble that Allen could apply his success a defensive coordinator to an entire team. We shall see.

I do hope there weren't financial reasons behind hiring Allen. You can't afford to go cheap when hiring a football or men's basketball coach.
From what I have heard, Allen is a really good defensive and special teams coach, but isn't much of an offensive coach and will need a good offensive coordinator. Hopefully, DeBord is that guy. I hope Allen can oversee the offensive side of the ball and make sure the people he delegates the offense to are competent, have a winning gameplan, etc. The total lack of a running game is concerning: I hope it was just OSU being really good and the fact it was the first game. The OSU game looked like the classic IU eventually getting overwhelmed by superior talent later in the game.

I would have preferred a Mallory/Hoeppner type of coach with proven D-1 head coaching experience to replace Wilson. But, Allen does have good high school experience as a head coach and has proven he is a competent D-coordinator at the college level. I will give him a chance. Once again, my concerns are on the O side.

Not impressed with Wilson as a head coach, and the comments from the former player under Wilson confirms my feelings. He never had a winning season and didn't address defense until last year. The crap he pulled with injured players is unacceptable. I understand emphasizing toughness and accountability, but there is a line and he crossed it. He belongs as an O-coordinator.

Last edited:
Reactions: iulb and IUgradman
Just so I'm clear here, all of this hysteria is because we lost to second ranked Ohio State? Really? We know we can play defense. They looked completely different last year from how they had looked for the past 25 years, and they still looked good for the most part last night. Ohio State is a very very good team and very very fast. Hell, Clemson torched Alabama last year. Do they suck now?

We know Allen can coach defense at the very least. He has had two drastic turn arounds at South Florida and here. It's not a fluke. Can we see how we do not playing one of the best teams in the country before these big melodramatic threads come about?

I'm not throwing in the towel on Allen, but rather criticizing the Wilson hire. If it is true he didn't pay any attention to defense then he cheated his players and the fans out of bowl appearances and more wins. That is unacceptable and it is also unacceptable that Glass put up with it for five seasons.

Reactions: td75
From what I have heard, Allen is a really good defensive and special teams coach, but isn't much of an offensive coach and will need a good offensive coordinator. Hopefully, DeBord is that guy. I hope Allen can oversee the offensive side of the ball and make sure the people he delegates the offense to are competent, have a winning gameplan, etc. The total lack of a running game is concerning: I hope it was just OSU being really good and the fact it was the first game. The OSU game looked like the classic IU eventually getting overwhelmed by superior talent later in the game.

I would have preferred a Mallory/Hoeppner type of coach with proven D-1 head coaching experience to replace Wilson. But, Allen does have good high school experience as a head coach and has proven he is a competent D-coordinator at the college level. I will give him a chance. Once again, my concerns are on the O side.

Not impressed with Wilson as a head coach, and the comments from the former player under Wilson confirms my feelings. He never had a winning season and didn't address defense until last year. The crap he pulled with injured players is unacceptable. I understand emphasizing toughness and accountability, but there is a line and he crossed it. He belongs as an O-coordinator.
They investigated him for lines crossed.... weren't any .... accept it for what it is .... we just didn't want him or what he brought... hugs work better at IU

They investigated him for lines crossed.... weren't any .... accept it for what it is .... we just didn't want him or what he brought... hugs work better at IU
Glass's complete lack of experience in running an athletic department has really shown up in many of his coaching hires. He's all about Fred, though I realize some people aren't smart enough to get past the style over substance that is FG.

Well.....

Tom Herman was one of the hottest coaching commodities in NCAA football last season and he kisses all of his players.

Glass's complete lack of experience in running an athletic department has really shown up in many of his coaching hires. He's all about Fred, though I realize some people aren't smart enough to get past the style over substance that is FG.
Your "smartest guy in the room, insulting others" schtick is beyond old and classic internet troll.

I don't think anybody has said Fred is perfect, and most would admit he has his flaws.

Your "smartest guy in the room, insulting others" schtick is beyond old and classic internet troll.

I don't think anybody has said Fred is perfect, and most would admit he has his flaws.
Never claimed any of that, only that Glass's inexperience is an impediment to him doing his job much better than he does it. You must agree since you weren't able to offer any sort of reasoned rebuttal, though that's typical of your posts here.

As someone who was there, I'll give my two cents. It didn't occur to me as unusual at the time because I was 18 and it was just normalized. But I'll tell you in all honesty that individuals did not understand the defense and it wasn't emphasized. I'm talking about starters. Not even everyone who got into the game had a defensive playbook. Basic concepts were never explained to us. This isn't a joke. So while Wilson was a great offensive mind, he would even tell us straight up to our faces that he wasn't a defensive guy. I didn't find this unusual until around my senior year when I literally had to teach myself. Now that's on us as players for not taking the initiative to teach ourselves, but at some point don't you think a head coach should say, "hey, I'm going to get you all a playbook." "Hey I'm going to get someone to explain all of these route concepts to you." "Hey I'm not putting you on the field until you can tell me what this play call means." It was literally a situation in which guys had no sense of what was going on and the head coach never really went out of his way to emphasize it. Now I personally like CKW, felt bad when he got fired (although most of the stories are true and there are many more things that led to his firing may have been omitted), and think that he is a great offensive coordinator. But in hindsight, it's odd when a head coach has absolutely no competency in terms of what it means to play defense. We literally had guys who didn't understand what the purpose of cover 4 was. You may have noticed that we played off coverage often, and that teams could easily get first downs on third and long. It was literally never explained to corners that a weakness in quarters coverage is the underneath stuff, and that teams like to run a chains route (get to the chains and stop) in this situation. Looking back on it, it's actually amazing. That can explain some of the losses and I just don't see how a head coach can be that aloof. TA is a defensive guy, but don't you think he at least makes sure his offensive guys understand the basic fundamentals of offense? With Wilson there was no emphasis whatsoever towards explaining BASICS, or even ensuring that everyone who got into the game had a playbook. For example, I know for a fact that a safety who gave up a touchdown in 13' against ISU didn't have a playbook or understand that in cover he had deep quarters, yet this player was in the game. It's doubtful that Wilson even knew that this player didn't have a playbook...

Interesting stuff. All sounds fair and true. Think Wilson will thrive as highly paid OC at OSU, like he did at OU, but not sure he's got the demeanor for great HC.

Allen hired DeBoard right away and delegates it all to him. But there is definitely accountability and Allen has openly stated "we can't turn the ball over as much, we need to protect the football." That's what you describe as not seeing re: Wilson and the defense in his tenure and I agree.

I also think Allen is genuinely liked and trusted. I do not think Wilson had the equal amount of respect & relationships with most of the players during his time either.

Lastly, I believe Allen's LOVE of being at IU also comes through. He wants to be there, he believes in the place and is setting the tone for what he expects. I believe he'll have them on right track starting this year and beyond.

Reactions: iulb and 76-1

You know, I've seen Ducati / Twindegrees claim that he posts over here and nobody knows under what moniker he does so. Maybe this guy?

You've never had to since your post history's done that for gou, Ord.
"For gou"? Another idiotic post from another poster with empty accusations. If you can't talk football, go away. I'm sure it's past your bedtime, even though it's not a school night.

You know, I've seen Ducati / Twindegrees claim that he posts over here and nobody knows under what moniker he does so. Maybe this guy?
Kind of funny seeing you here after your pre-OSU posts. You're brave to show up after looking so, well, ignorant.

I want to make it clear that I'm not saying this to be malicious towards CKW. I personally like him and respect him as a coach, and a wiser older man (although some may disagree with the last part). I didn't like his firing. What Wilson did bring was toughness, and he demanded that you be tough/aggressive. He forced you to respect the program, and he didn't accept any complaining. The team needed that, the team needed to demand more from itself. this was a coach that I personally saw tackle a running back in practice for not running hard enough. Some may call that over the top, but no one viewed that as (abuse), and that is the kind of intensity that he brought. That helped the team improve, and I think that Stephen Houston will tell you that he's happy in hindsight that Wilson took that sort of interest in his practice performance.

It's also true however that what he brought in toughness, he simply didn't bring to defense or any kind of organization. I know for a fact that many players didn't have a playbook on defense, and that even the few who had one prepared didn't really take an interest in it. This was evidenced in games like Rutgers in 15' or Minnesota in 13' or even BSU in 12'. If it seemed odd that a defense would look that incompetent even with improved recruiting, its 100% because having a football IQ was not enforced. Even look at Michael Hunter's improved performance when he went to Oklahoma State and now he's on the New York giants. This is the same Michael Hunter who was torched against Bowling green in 14'. I don't think his poor performance was a reflection of talent per se, but coaching and a lack of organizational structure. The same coach who would tackle offensive guys for not going hard and demand results, simply didn't have that level of structure on the defensive side whatsoever. Mike was one of the more talented players I played with, and I'm proud of him. He got so,e heat on the board for transferring, but I think that he highlights what was going on in our program compared to other programs, and the move paid off for him. He's more physically gifted than players we have lining up today, but we never saw that at IU and I think that it was largely due to the lack of structure. And although it's not CKW's fault per se, it is his problem as the head coach. At a certain point you'd expect him to step in and fire a coach mid season if need be for the complete negligence.

So on one hand Wilson brought a certain level of toughness and enthusiasm that was needed. On the other hand there was a certain lack of structure brought to the defensive side, and he didn't particularly enforce structure consistently. He got guys to play hard, but does that help if you don't understand cover 3? Players like Hunter didn't just magically improve when they left. There must've been a different level of structure at Oklahoma state. My assumption would be that TA brought this kind of structure which is why Scales went from being just a good linebacker, to maybe one of the best in school history. Or why fields went from being a rotational backup to one of the top DB's in the conference. Or why some guys who played in 15' magically disappeared from the lineup in 16'. I think that moving forward TA is going to have the program in good hands because he brings Wilson's toughness, but also doesn't have that side of recklessness/negligence from what I see. I have never met TA because my final year was the season before he came in, but just as an observer who knows many of those guys, there's a difference.
It's clear CKW confused "delegation" with "abdication". Gotta admit I love the tackling story though!!

So, why no quotes or copy from Stephen Austin, Ted Bolser, Nate Sudfield, Dan Feeny, Jason Spriggs, Tevin Coleman, Jordan Howard, Shane Wynn?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT