ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson with the last laugh

fpeaugh

All-American
Sep 19, 2001
Wilson just hung 49 on Allen's home turf. Would've been 60+ if not for a couple wide open drops. When is Fred Glass going to be held accountable for mistake after mistake after mistake?

Reactions: snarlcakes
I didn't see anything that highlighted his offensive brilliance. He did pick up on our having #40 out there on the right side and ran a play that worked him good but aside from that I'd say there may be a little buyers remorse from Urbans point of view.

Their overall team speed bailed them out of a tough spot and our giveaways made them look better than they are.

Kevin, while a genius, didn't out scheme us tonight. He just had better faster players...

I didn't see anything that highlighted his offensive brilliance. He did pick up on our having #40 out there on the right side and ran a play that worked him good but aside from that I'd say there may be a little buyers remorse from Urbans point of view.

Their overall team speed bailed them out of a tough spot and our giveaways made them look better than they are.

Kevin, while a genius, didn't out scheme us tonight. He just had better faster players...
I couldn't disagree more. His general strategy is to set up the defense in the first half with designed looks then come back in the second half with complimentary plays that go for touchdowns. Everyone on OSU was anxious, but they stuck with the plan and they had wide open touchdowns. We played with great effort, but scheme was the difference in the game on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I couldn't disagree more. His general strategy is to set up the defense in the first half with designed looks then come back in the second half with complimentary plays that go for touchdowns. Everyone on OSU was anxious, but they stuck with the plan and they had wide open touchdowns. We played with great effort, but scheme was the difference in the game on both sides of the ball.
There was no scheme that would've allowed iu to win. Ohio State has better players all over the field, and many more of them. They're just more talented.

Reactions: Fro
Ok, I can't completely disagree but I didn't see his overall influence when it came to their schemes. That's the same O they've been running for the last five years in my eyes. He did work the matchups in the second half and we kept giving him the ball to work with. Makes things a lot easier when the other guy keeps letting you have the ball. Kevin wasn't the difference; their overall team speed and our carelessness with the ball was...,IMO

There was no scheme that would've allowed iu to win. Ohio State has better players all over the field, and many more of them. They're just more talented.
Talent alone does not win games. See Brady Hoke's Michigan teams. OSU patiently executed a brilliant gameplan by Wilson.

Look, I like Wilson. I just don't see his genius as having much to do with the outcome. That O was exactly what they were running last year. Now maybe we'll see them do something special against OK or P$U or MI that'll impress me schematically but this game didn't. They just lined up and beat us and we often helped them. (Again, just my opinion ;))

Reactions: Dallas Fred
Talent alone does not win games. See Brady Hoke's Michigan teams. OSU patiently executed a brilliant gameplan by Wilson.
Im not dismissing Wilson's work tonight. He's an outstanding offensive coach. But OSU is also much more talented than iu, and nothing iu did or could've done would've been enough to offset that disparity.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Look, I like Wilson. I just don't see his genius as having much to do with the outcome. That O was exactly what they were running last year. Now maybe we'll see them do something special against OK or P$U or MI that'll impress me schematically but this game didn't. They just lined up and beat us and we often helped them. (Again, just my opinion ;))
I'm not sure what game you were watching. Wilson has progressions throughout the game that build on each other and hit for touchdowns. For example, they ran the zone read in the first half, then the option, then the option with an option to pass to the sideline. In the passing game, they threw it short and to the sidelines in the first half, then deep, then crossing routes. Yes they are more talented, but it wasn't as simple as it looked. They tested us at every level, and we didn't pass the test. If you can't see the Wilson factor now, you will soon enough.

Look I think we are not in as much disagreement as it may seem.

You are correct in regard to his progressions but I'm talking about their overall offensive scheme (which tonight from what I saw wasn't much different then what they've been running). I thought it was their pure speed that made those progressions work however versus just completely fooling us...

I'll just have to agree to disagree as to the reason why those plays worked (on the 2nd to last TD by them their WR got away with pushing our CB completely to the ground..., that's not genius play calling)...

Where we agree is that KW is really good at his job and probably will make a difference later in the year. ;)

Wilson skated by tonight with talent. That guy wouldn't have done one iota better coaching us tonight given the talent disparity. Wilson was awful last year in a season that needed his so called"genius" the most. He is overrated and took 6 years to get a defensive coach. I like DeBord's play calling bellter.

Hey! We used the tight end. What s novel concept. I like this leadership better than anything we had under "Otis" from Mayberry.

Wilson just hung 49 on Allen's home turf. Would've been 60+ if not for a couple wide open drops. When is Fred Glass going to be held accountable for mistake after mistake after mistake?

Dude....OSU has hung 59 on Nebraska last year and had s severe beat down of Wisconsin in a championship game of the Big Ten a few years back. You're reading too much into this. I think we would have done even worse with Kevin "Otis Campbell" Wilson this year at the helm. Stop the nonsense. There's a lot of football to be played. Don't go on these stupid tirades about Glass over a game that got away from us in the final 21 minutes. I've been to plenty of Michigan or OSU games where the thing was over at half time.

I'm not sure what game you were watching. Wilson has progressions throughout the game that build on each other and hit for touchdowns. For example, they ran the zone read in the first half, then the option, then the option with an option to pass to the sideline. In the passing game, they threw it short and to the sidelines in the first half, then deep, then crossing routes. Yes they are more talented, but it wasn't as simple as it looked. They tested us at every level, and we didn't pass the test. If you can't see the Wilson factor now, you will soon enough.
Then how did we never win more than 6 games in a season with "the genius" running the offense if talent isn't the difference? And why weren't we beating OSU when he was here?

If our offense last year had been anything close to competent, we would have won 8 games. If you're going to give KW all the credit for OSU's success last night, then you have to hold him accountable for IU's failures the past 6 seasons.

Im not dismissing Wilson's work tonight. He's an outstanding offensive coach. But OSU is also much more talented than iu, and nothing iu did or could've done would've been enough to offset that disparity.
IU had 18 returning starters and OSU lost a ton of players to the NFL. Wilson played OSU tough last year with the same team that Allen got trounced with so it seems to me that coaching was the.biggest disparity

Reactions: fpeaugh
Let's judge our coach on one game against a team almost good enough to play in the NFL and rated #2 in the nation for many reasons! Don't forget to completely write off the fact we hing with a team that is senior lead and has much more athleticism at pretty much every position! While we're at it, can we start complaining about him not landing any 5* recruits? Some people on these forums just crack me up.

IU had 18 returning starters and OSU lost a ton of players to the NFL. Wilson played OSU tough last year with the same team that Allen got trounced with so it seems to me that coaching was the.biggest disparity

It also wasn't the first game of the season last year. On the 74 yd touchdown, the guy just out ran us... and the blocking receiver held our guy.

Wilson only looks good when he has studs to execute his plan.

Offensively, it's not the same team up front. It's not even close. And it's far less talented in the backfield, too. IU never believed they could run it and OSU quickly agreed. OSU, on the other hand, stuck with the run and knew it would eventually pay dividends, which it did. The crowning of IU's defense as a top unit was obviously premature, as a few of us knew it was.

Last edited:
It also wasn't the first game of the season last year. On the 74 yd touchdown, the guy just out ran us... and the blocking receiver held our guy.

Wilson only looks good when he has studs to execute his plan.

Wilson looked good after the size and depth of his team wore the less talented IU squad down. Actually, despite being a little thin at RB I would have run the ball on IU much more early.

Let's judge our coach on one game against a team almost good enough to play in the NFL and rated #2 in the nation for many reasons! Don't forget to completely write off the fact we hing with a team that is senior lead and has much more athleticism at pretty much every position! While we're at it, can we start complaining about him not landing any 5* recruits? Some people on these forums just crack me up.
This might be the dumbest post in the history of this forum. Almost good enough to play in the NFL? Seriously? What world do you live in? That team could play 50 seasons in the NFL and would go 0-16 every single year. They're not even remotely close to NFL level.

And actually IU was the much more experienced team. That OSU team is young. We win that game with Wilson as the HC.

This might be the dumbest post in the history of this forum. Almost good enough to play in the NFL? Seriously? What world do you live in? That team could play 50 seasons in the NFL and would go 0-16 every single year. They're not even remotely close to NFL level.

And actually IU was the much more experienced team. That OSU team is young. We win that game with Wilson as the HC.
Exactly. The NFL talk is nonsense, though the talent disparity between them and IU, especially up front on both sides of the ball, is significant. I knew the O line would struggle as they're modestly talented and very light experience wise. But IU's defense really got run over in the second half and showed they have a ways to go. Allen can't be pleased with how they played after halftime. Not a good performance.

Last edited:

LOL, that's a big no. We needed our O-Line from 2 years ago (and probably Jordan Howard and another good O-Lineman like Roger Saffold), not Wilson.

Can't run those pick plays and crossing routes if Lagow doesn't have time to throw more than quick fade routes for 15-25 yards.

Last edited:
Ok, I can't completely disagree but I didn't see his overall influence when it came to their schemes. That's the same O they've been running for the last five years in my eyes. He did work the matchups in the second half and we kept giving him the ball to work with. Makes things a lot easier when the other guy keeps letting you have the ball. Kevin wasn't the difference; their overall team speed and our carelessness with the ball was...,IMO

They have beat IU since 1987 without CKW.... They need him to beat the teams that are a threat.

And they replaced their losses with 4 and 5 star guys. This wasn't some coaching chess match. They have #1 or #2 personal in the country. What is hard to understand about that?

IU missed his toughness. There was too much "love each other" and not enough ornery

I can't believe anybody really believed IU had a shot in this game.

"Dumbest post in the history of this forum?" I'd like to nominate you for that award, given the last sentence of your post.

News flash - - there was a major talent discrepancy last night. As someone said in another thread, the outcome would have been the same if Allen and DeBord were coaching the Buckeyes and Meyer and Wilson were coaching IU.

Finally, OSU collectively couldn't compete in the NFL but their DL might. Schiano said publicly a couple of weeks ago that the DL is the most talented he's ever coached, including his NFL (Bucs) team.

LOL, that's a big no. We needed our O-Line from 2 years ago (and probably Jordan Howard and another good O-Lineman like Roger Saffold), not Wilson.

Can't run those pick plays and crossing routes if Lagow doesn't have time to throw more than quick fade routes for 15-25 yards.
Wilson, the most accomplished IU coach in decades, just took Tom Allen and the rest of our defense behind the woodshed in the 2nd half for an old school, playground type beat down. Were you not there/watching? Noooo we don't need that guy.

You're letting Fred Glass's ego get in the way of rational thinking.

Lots of wishful thinking in these parts. Reality showed up last night.

The wishful thinking for this board has turned now toward you and taking your constant negative bulls$&@ and leaving. You're the most negative person roaming these boards.....and an expert at everything.

Wilson is only co-offensive coordinator. If he becomes head coach again then beats us he can have his last laugh. I highly doubt that will happen.
I wish coach Wilson well, but he is still riding coat tails of other coaches with 5 star recruits.

The wishful thinking for this board has turned now toward you and taking your constant negative bulls$&@ and leaving. You're the most negative person roaming these boards.....and an expert at everything.
It's a football discussion, so I understand your anger and disappointment at not being able to meaningfully participate.

Wilson, the most accomplished IU coach in decades, just took Tom Allen and the rest of our defense behind the woodshed in the 2nd half for an old school, playground type beat down. Were you not there/watching? Noooo we don't need that guy.

You're letting Fred Glass's ego get in the way of rational thinking.

Are you that out of touch? Wilson didn't do sh$&. His more talented players did.

That's like saying that if Michael Jordan dunked on your middle-aged, out of shape ass that it wouldn't have happened if you were in better position.

Please. Don't be silly with this.

It's a football discussion, so I understand your anger and disappointment at not being able to meaningfully participate.

And, we realize that you have a strong dislike for IU football now that Otis Campbell Wilson has left. Either move on with the new group or get out. You talk about meaningful participation but your heavy negative anti-IU slant makes all of your drivel meaningless Ordfan.

I think halftime adjustments certainly played a role, and Wilson can be credit for that on the offensive side, but there were also defensive adjustments that contributed significantly. That, on top of the depth on tOSU's roster, I believe, accounts for the 2nd half last night. Both the offense and defense for tOSU had the luxury of rotating players much more frequently than IU could.

And, we realize that you have a strong dislike for IU football now that Otis Campbell Wilson has left. Either move on with the new group or get out. You talk about meaningful participation but your heavy negative anti-IU slant makes all of your drivel meaningless Ordfan.
Claiming "Wilson didn't do sh$&" is all we need to know regarding your alleged football knowledge but, when you combine that with inane, unfunny and repeated references to Wilson as Otis Campbell, you really reveal your true intellect.

This is a football discussion . . . you don't belong here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT