ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson with the last laugh

I think that the "too late" comment means that the team left a lot of wins on the table. Our 12' and 13' offense was flat out Better than our 15' or 16' offenses. If you combine those 12' and 13' offenses with a semi-competent defense, those are 7-8 win seasons. I want to emphasize that it's fair to say that Wilson can't be the HC and the DC, but the level of negligence given to that side of the ball until the TA hiring is the primary issue. As I said, when he gave a sufficient amount of energy to the defense (I used our first win against Penn State as an example in 13') we showed improvements. When he didn't give a sufficient amount of energy towards that side of the ball the results were obviously horrible. My point is that if we had 7-8 win seasons a couple of those years, Wilsons off the field behavior and player "abuse" allegations don't even come up. But when you're on the bubble and going 6-6, AND have some off the field issues, it's going to be hard to keep your job.

I'm not trying to push responsibility off of the players, because players could've certainly been more proactive in improving on defense. And again, Wilson had toughness, most of us liked him, and I think that he's one of the best offenses minds there is. But even with my bias towards likely him, I'm not going to ignore the treatment of guys like Donovan Clark (the stories from players like Clark are 100% true). So when you combine 6-6 records, a team that underachieved, and off the field concerns with player treatment, it's easy to see that this may have not been the best situation for IU or coach Wilson. As I recall, he started his tenure off by telling lynch recruits that they had no scholarship the week after glass sent everyone a letter that all lynch commits still had a home. A coach with a better record can get away with that lol, but blatantly contradicted your own boss one week into the job might cause some issues. It's not as if Wilson's behavior changed. What is confusing is the timing of the firing, because Wilson was the same guy the whole time. If glass had an issue with him the information was available BEFORE he extended his contract. But I was gone during 16', so it's possible that something new happened that's between FG and CKW. But every guy who came forward had an incident that happened prior to the extension.

I think that the "too late" comment means that the team left a lot of wins on the table. Our 12' and 13' offense was flat out Better than our 15' or 16' offenses. If you combine those 12' and 13' offenses with a semi-competent defense, those are 7-8 win seasons. I want to emphasize that it's fair to say that Wilson can't be the HC and the DC, but the level of negligence given to that side of the ball until the TA hiring is the primary issue. As I said, when he gave a sufficient amount of energy to the defense (I used our first win against Penn State as an example in 13') we showed improvements. When he didn't give a sufficient amount of energy towards that side of the ball the results were obviously horrible. My point is that if we had 7-8 win seasons a couple of those years, Wilsons off the field behavior and player "abuse" allegations don't even come up. But when you're on the bubble and going 6-6, AND have some off the field issues, it's going to be hard to keep your job.

I'm not trying to push responsibility off of the players, because players could've certainly been more proactive in improving on defense. And again, Wilson had toughness, most of us liked him, and I think that he's one of the best offenses minds there is. But even with my bias towards likely him, I'm not going to ignore the treatment of guys like Donovan Clark (the stories from players like Clark are 100% true). So when you combine 6-6 records, a team that underachieved, and off the field concerns with player treatment, it's easy to see that this may have not been the best situation for IU or coach Wilson. As I recall, he started his tenure off by telling lynch recruits that they had no scholarship the week after glass sent everyone a letter that all lynch commits still had a home. A coach with a better record can get away with that lol, but blatantly contradicted your own boss one week into the job might cause some issues. It's not as if Wilson's behavior changed. What is confusing is the timing of the firing, because Wilson was the same guy the whole time. If glass had an issue with him the information was available BEFORE he extended his contract. But I was gone during 16', so it's possible that something new happened that's between FG and CKW. But every guy who came forward had an incident that happened prior to the extension.

Appreciate your perspective and thoughts. I hope you stick around.

Reactions: 76-1

Sorry, dude, but this sounds like pure, unadulterated BS. You're talking about Wilson's handling of the defense when you were supposedly a player on the team but there's not a single mention of Mallory, Knorr or any other defensive coordinator or coach in your posts. Not one. And what does "giving a sufficient amount of energy to the defense" even mean?

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
And Lagow threw for 410 yards and Cobbs had 149 receiving yards but you throw our coaches under the bus repeatedly. DeBord had "a hand in that."

And, yes, you know full well what the "Otis Campbell" reference means because it's true and you defend that behavior....because you condone it. You, sir, are a fraud.
Once again, your lack of football knowledge is astounding, and your "humor" is neither funny nor remotely intelligent. This is a football discussion. You're out of place.

Ask the hired chauffeur who had to haul Otis around to avoid DUIs He likely has the inside scoop.

Once again, your lack of football knowledge is astounding, and your "humor" is neither funny nor remotely intelligent. This is a football discussion. You're out of place.

Yes - and when we want to have good discussions with connected individuals to the situation, we certainly don't go over to the kid's table and look for you, Ordfan (a.k.a Lewzerfan1 or Turdfan)

Reactions: ZildjianZLine
His athletes took over.

Riddle me this oh wise one:

"Otis" was supposed to have improved Barrett's passing game. Hell, we heard he was connecting on 95% of his passes in spring ball, and yet, last night he couldn't hit much of anything. What did your hero do there in his development?

Nada.
I get it; you want a statue built for a coach who got us to 6 wins. Unfortunately, took him 6 years to figure out that you have to play defense as well. You don't belong Ordfan. Your judgment is clouded.

Ignorant

Yes - and when we want to have good discussions with connected individuals to the situation, we certainly don't go over to the kid's table and look for you, Ordfan (a.k.a Lewzerfan1 or Turdfan)
Says the guy who claimed Wilson didn't do sh$& last night. You're on a football board and you know nothing about the sport.

As for Wilson, I know plenty of stories about him. And Glass praised him, tore up his contract, redid it, and doubled his compensation.

There's a reason you look as foolish as you do. All the time.

This might be the dumbest post in the history of this forum. Almost good enough to play in the NFL? Seriously? What world do you live in? That team could play 50 seasons in the NFL and would go 0-16 every single year. They're not even remotely close to NFL level.

And actually IU was the much more experienced team. That OSU team is young. We win that game with Wilson as the HC.

Lol....Wilson lost at Bowling Green. I was there. He had much better talent but couldn't figure out how to stop a team with a QB from the state of Indiana as a backup. How about the Navy game at home where they were a running team only and we gave up over 400 yards on the ground despite spending multiple practices preparing for an option attack?

You can't have it both ways. Yeah, let's wave a magic wand and put Wilson on IU's sideline last night and he wins the game against a supremely talented team. Hell, Otis couldn't hardly win the 50/50 ball games and the Rutgers game in 2015 with his horrific offensive game plan while up 24 points was enough to fire his ass on the spot.

Reactions: IUgradman

Who was the DC then? ...... if this is all true, we still have a problem at IU because at some point during 2012, 2013, 2014, you would think someone might say, "hey, can I get a look at a playbook?"

It just sounds so rediculous. Basically what you are saying is we didn't have a DC , we didn't have an OC, and we didn't have any defensive assistants that were engaged enough to ask for a playbook.

If this is believed then the board should kissing CKW's ring because he won more with less and recruited better with less than any staff in D1.... if this is the case, we still have an administration bent on less is more...

You are officially the last person giving this fraud an audience.

Says the guy who claimed Wilson didn't do sh$& last night. You're on a football board and you know nothing about the sport.

As for Wilson, I know plenty of stories about him. And Glass praised him, tore up his contract, redid it, and doubled his compensation.

There's a reason you look as foolish as you do. All the time.

You talk a big game but offer no specifics. You complain about mediocrity and then praise the guy responsible for our mediocrity. You have as many twisted personalities inside your head as you do screen names. When I look for football insight, you are the last individual I give any credence to. Go play on the basketball board where your psychotic nature is a bit better fit. You are so disconnected from football that it merely serves as entertainment here to read your lies.

You have no idea the amount of fundraising that Glass has done for the projects. Not a clue.
Actually I do. I've been at several of the events over the years. It's standard work for any AD. What's really moved the needle though is the BIG Network. Glass himself would tell you that.

Hindsight is 20/20. While I agree that the extension was bad, you kind of paint yourself into a corner when you win the Big Ten outright. Hard to fire coaches on the heels of knocking off the #1 in the country. As much as I disliked Crean's coaching, no AD is going to drop him coming off a Big Ten banner year for Stevens.

I recall when we hired Crean, he was like the 4th choice. Nobody wanted to touch this so called "historic" blue blood with a 10 ft pole.

Donovan didn't even want this place the last go around.

Wilson was trouble from Day #1. The search firm that helped with that should re-compensate IU. That behavior must have been present at Oklahoma and somebody should have done due diligence.

Curt Miller. Yeah - won't touch that one at all. He was justly terminated.

Yeagley? He doesn't dominate the conference like his old man but college soccer has a lot more parity now.
He wasn't coming off a Big Ten championship in 2011. He actually finished last place in the Big Ten. He wasn't even coming off a Big Ten championship in 2012...I think we finished 5th that year. It wasn't until year 5 in 2013 when he finally won one. You're really struggling with facts. Maybe you should utilize Google from now on.

You get your Wilson statue ready then.
I'll be looking for it outside one of the bars in B-town. The guy should have been in a freaking bowl in 2013.

Allen was responsible for the defensive transformation. That's because he took control of it. Prior DCs turned to Otis for guidance and he basically look at them like a deer in the headlights. The reason for last year's bowl you may ask? Allen.

In fact, Wilson's offense last year damn near prevented us from a bowl without Allen saving his ass.
Wilson took IU to a bowl game the year before Allen arrived. And provided Allen with the upgrade in talent for last year's success.

Allen was responsible for making a bowl game last year? We had the 3rd best offense in the Big Ten and the 9th best defense. Again, the facts elude you but the delusion is real.

Our scoring dropped by a third from 2015 to 2016 and the offense was a turnover factory. We had four in the first half alone against Penn State for crying out loud! The defense was the most improved in the country in 2016, reducing the ypg it gave up by 130. Allen did the same thing at South Florida so his performance was not a fluke. There are legitimate concerns about how the offense will do under him but time will reveal all.

Reactions: RBB89
Our scoring dropped by a third from 2015 to 2016 and the offense was a turnover factory. We had four in the first half alone against Penn State for crying out loud! The defense was the most improved in the country in 2016, reducing the ypg it gave up by 130. Allen did the same thing at South Florida so his performance was not a fluke. There are legitimate concerns about how the offense will do under him but time will reveal all.
Our scoring went down, because Wilson was trying to cater to the defense. He mentioned several times that they aimed to be a possession team last year. He relied on the defense more than any other defense in his tenure. Allen did a good job making a bad defense above average, but don't mistake it as a decline in Wilson's ability.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Wilson took IU to a bowl game the year before Allen arrived. And provided Allen with the upgrade in talent for last year's success.

Allen was responsible for making a bowl game last year? We had the 3rd best offense in the Big Ten and the 9th best defense. Again, the facts elude you but the delusion is real.

And, yet, you don't see the forest for the trees: we were at the bottom of the conference in red zone efficiency.

You see, in football, you have to score points to win games. That's how the simple math works. Move the ball all over the field, put up a ton of yards, be 3rd in offensive yardage. That's great....until you come up with big, fat goose eggs in the red zone. Then you can throw that out the window.

Sorry, dude, but this sounds like pure, unadulterated BS. You're talking about Wilson's handling of the defense when you were supposedly a player on the team but there's not a single mention of Mallory, Knorr or any other defensive coordinator or coach in your posts. Not one. And what does "giving a sufficient amount of energy to the defense" even mean?
Mallory was fired though, Knorr was fired. What I mean by sufficient amount of energy is going down to the defensive side of practice and making sure they the players were executing in practice. He brought a different level of intensity during the PSU week that he rarely brought to the defensive side. I clearly stated that 1. It starts with the players. 2. The defensive coaches obviously have to be held accountable. 3. But if none of that is happening you'd thing that a head coach would have more urgency in trying to figure out what was wrong. Again, the PSU week in 13' is what I mean by "a sufficient amount of energy." He realized that players clearly weren't understanding the system, so he demanded that we go with our base defense so that players could be on the same page. He was down with the defense and scout team equally that week to insure that the execution was solid. He was intense and positive the entire week and made it seem as if he cared about defense. That is what I mean. He didn't consistently do this. He was aloof to the point that he didn't even know that guys who were getting into the game didn't have a playbook and had no grasp of the defense. So by all means Mallory and knorr can be blamed. Players can be blamed. But in the end I can't imagine other elite head coaches allowing their team to be negligent, and if he has coached the way that he did during the PSU week in 13', we probably win 7-8 games that year, maybe win at least 6 games in 12' and at least go to a bowl, and then his job wouldn't have even been in question. But in no way am I giving Knorr and Mallory a pass.

Who was the DC then? ...... if this is all true, we still have a problem at IU because at some point during 2012, 2013, 2014, you would think someone might say, "hey, can I get a look at a playbook?"

It just sounds so rediculous. Basically what you are saying is we didn't have a DC , we didn't have an OC, and we didn't have any defensive assistants that were engaged enough to ask for a playbook.

If this is believed then the board should kissing CKW's ring because he won more with less and recruited better with less than any staff in D1.... if this is the case, we still have an administration bent on less is more...
I wasn't there when TA came in, so my assumption would be that between Knorr getting fired, and TA coming In they got the defensive players together and demanded everyone actually know what they were doing. It was genuinely a situation where if you had asked a defensive player what I route combination was called, chances are he would not have been able to tell you. In 15' after the MSU game when Conner Cook threw for about 400 yards I remember vividly that our nickel back was told, "hey we told you to stop this route concept, why didn't you." MSU was known for running a hitch with #1 and a fade with the #2 slot receiver to the sideline. It was called "gator". The player didn't even know what the concept was called and wasn't given the playbook with the list of route combinations in it. This specifically led to a couple of scores. Guys really had no grasp of the defense from 11'-15'. So by all means the players could've done more, and obviously the DC's have to take responsibility, but some responsibility has to fall on Wilson. You have to remember that a lot of the same players were playing in 16'. That tells me that under TA a lot of things must've changed in terms of expectations, but could Wilson have not done some basic things to ensure that players had a grasp of the defense? He could've in hindsight and that specifically would've led to some of those close losses being close wins, because a lot of the points given up (Rutgers in 15' comes to mind) had nothing to do with talent. Guys genuinely had no grasp of the defense before they went out on the field.

I know that it likely sounds hard to believe that this went on at a D1 program, and I actually agree with your point that it makes Wilson look more impressive to an extent that he could work with a defense that was this incompetent in 15' and get to a bowl game, but he could've also been less negligent and more aware of the fact that guys simply weren't getting it and taken more steps towards making sure guys got it. I do know that the nickel back who didn't make an effort to get the defense against MSU in 15' didn't really see the field in 16' and didn't see the field last night, so I think that shows that TA has a higher level of expectations for his defense obviously.

What would a former player know over a football novice on a message board? Talk about pure, unadulterated BS. You've outdone yourself in ridiculousness.

That's like saying Lebron shot 2% less on his FG% last year and JR Smith shot 2% better so JR must be better than Lebron. It's flawed reasoning.

The defense was better but in no way did it carry the offense. Absolutely no way. We were still an offensive team last year, just with a much improved defense. It helped but it didn't carry us.

And, yet, you don't see the forest for the trees: we were at the bottom of the conference in red zone efficiency.

You see, in football, you have to score points to win games. That's how the simple math works. Move the ball all over the field, put up a ton of yards, be 3rd in offensive yardage. That's great....until you come up with big, fat goose eggs in the red zone. Then you can throw that out the window.
Moving the ball 70 yards and not converting is far better than a 3 and out. Field position and keeps your D fresh with rest. This is very, very basic man.

Do you know how off the wall your story sounds, Superstar84b?? I mean we're talking about a coach making millions of dollars to be head coach!! You're telling this board that his players didn't even have a play book!?!

I'm blown away by this...as a fan, what in the hell are we supposed to think??

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Reactions: td75
Moving the ball 70 yards and not converting is far better than a 3 and out. Field position and keeps your D fresh with rest. This is very, very basic man.
We on this board may never know the full details of Wilson's termination. We certainly don't know after one game what kind of head coach Tom Allen is going to turn out to be. But I liked our effort in the bowl game last year and our effort and game-planning last night. The game got out of hand late as a result of turnovers and big plays by their superior athletes.

Certainly the program was on an upward trajectory from the beginning of KW's tenure to his last year. However, the addition of Tom Allen to the staff was undoubtedly the biggest improvement to IU football during Wilson's entire career here.

One thing I believe with absolute certainty. Kevin Wilson as our head coach does not beat OSU in last night's matchup. The talent disparity was too great and nobody's offensive brilliance was going to overcome the fact that we couldn't run the ball or throw deep routes.

I respect your right to an opinion about whether the firing of Wilson was a terrible move, but it's patently unfair to declare that based on the results of last night's game that Tom Allen is not going to move this program forward. That wasn't a game we should have won. That's a game that good coaching was able to keep us in far longer than we should have been.

We on this board may never know the full details of Wilson's termination. We certainly don't know after one game what kind of head coach Tom Allen is going to turn out to be. But I liked our effort in the bowl game last year and our effort and game-planning last night. The game got out of hand late as a result of turnovers and big plays by their superior athletes.

Certainly the program was on an upward trajectory from the beginning of KW's tenure to his last year. However, the addition of Tom Allen to the staff was undoubtedly the biggest improvement to IU football during Wilson's entire career here.

One thing I believe with absolute certainty. Kevin Wilson as our head coach does not beat OSU in last night's matchup. The talent disparity was too great and nobody's offensive brilliance was going to overcome the fact that we couldn't run the ball or throw deep routes.

I respect your right to an opinion about whether the firing of Wilson was a terrible move, but it's patently unfair to declare that based on the results of last night's game that Tom Allen is not going to move this program forward. That wasn't a game we should have won. That's a game that good coaching was able to keep us in far longer than we should have been.
It's certainty not my opinion that Allen won't move the program forward. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I'm certainly withholding judgement on that as of now.

I do however feel strongly that we would be better with Wilson rather than Allen. Maybe I'm wrong on that. I'm open to that possibility. And I sincerely hope I'm wrong. We'll see.

It's certainty not my opinion that Allen won't move the program forward. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I'm certainly withholding judgement on that as of now.

I do however feel strongly that we would be better with Wilson rather than Allen. Maybe I'm wrong on that. I'm open to that possibility. And I sincerely hope I'm wrong. We'll see.
Fair enough.

Do you know how off the wall your story sounds, Superstar84b?? I mean we're talking about a coach making millions of dollars to be head coach!! You're telling this board that his players didn't even have a play book!?!

I'm blown away by this...as a fan, what in the hell are we supposed to think??

Maybe in time I can come to believe him however, a new ID dropping something so unbelievable....I'll wait....

We appreciate his post but reserve the right to scrutinize.....over half the team quit after the first season. Doesn't sound like someone not spending time with the units. Quite the contrary...we were soft he wasn't.

He brought a different level of intensity during the PSU week that he rarely brought to the defensive side.
I've read your contributions with interest.

Just throwing this out regarding the PSU week you describe: could this not be viewed as KW's attempt to show the DC how he wanted the defense to be coached? Is there any reason the DC could not have then emulated what KW did that week going forward?

Of course that begs the question as to why KW didn't follow up and insist that the DC actually do what he'd demonstrated needed done. That perhaps could be explained by a lack of executive leadership skill on KW's part.

Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
If true, and I'm actually inclined to believe this bizarre story for some reason, Wilson was simply in it for the money IMO. It also tells me that these assistant coaches aren't doing their job.

He cared about offense only, that was obvious from day one. He also did make the very odd comment after the Penn State game that the above poster accused him of. I never understood that comment until now, it makes better sense.

I'm upset over these revelations. I've been contemplating drifting away from IU football for the last couple of years now. If this is true, it makes me want to consider how much further I want to follow a program that would allow such mickey mouse coaching to exist. Couple these mind blowing accusations with the fact that I personally don't think they have the vision in place to recruit effectively enough to perform in the East division, and I'm scratching my head if I'm in this for another two decades of lacing them up.

Everyone on this board needs to read this thread! If true, I'm sure many long time boosters will feel cheated out of their donations and time/commitment!!!

Reactions: iulb and IUgradman
I'm not getting any younger either so to see the continued mismanagement of the most important revenue producing sport is disheartening. Glass hired Wilson, fired Wilson, and hired Allen. He owns the state of the football program entirely. If this latest experiment fails then he needs to go but our Aussie President doesn't give a damn about sports.

Glass has been a mediocre AD but our athletics performance has improved under his watch. Not enough for me or many others but the improvement is there.

He should have fired Crean in 2011 and hired Stevens, never given Crean a contract extension before the 2012 season based on a friggin' preseason ranking, and at the latest fired Crean in 2014 when Billy Donovan was available. The contract extension given to Wilson made no sense either. The Curt Miller hire was a good one at the time but the guy turned out to be a freak behind the scenes. The jury is out with Moren. She won with Miller's recruits but the team's performance last year was disappointing. The hiring of Todd Yeagley was blatant nepotism.
Todd Yeagley won a national title and they are in the top 10 every single year. Including this year.

Our scoring went down, because Wilson was trying to cater to the defense. He mentioned several times that they aimed to be a possession team last year. He relied on the defense more than any other defense in his tenure. Allen did a good job making a bad defense above average, but don't mistake it as a decline in Wilson's ability.
I don't think he had a decline in ability, but the offense was bad last year. They were ranked well into the 100s in red zone offense, and were 88th in scoring offense.

If true, and I'm actually inclined to believe this bizarre story for some reason, Wilson was simply in it for the money IMO. It also tells me that these assistant coaches aren't doing their job.

He cared about offense only, that was obvious from day one. He also did make the very odd comment after the Penn State game that the above poster accused him of. I never understood that comment until now, it makes better sense.

I'm upset over these revelations. I've been contemplating drifting away from IU football for the last couple of years now. If this is true, it makes me want to consider how much further I want to follow a program that would allow such mickey mouse coaching to exist. Couple these mind blowing accusations with the fact that I personally don't think they have the vision in place to recruit effectively enough to perform in the East division, and I'm scratching my head if I'm in this for another two decades of lacing them up.

Everyone on this board needs to read this thread! If true, I'm sure many long time boosters will feel cheated out of their donations and time/commitment!!!

I'm not getting any younger either so to see the continued mismanagement of the most important revenue producing sport is disheartening. Glass hired Wilson, fired Wilson, and hired Allen. He owns the state of the football program entirely. If this latest experiment fails then he needs to go but our Aussie President doesn't give a damn about sports.
Just so I'm clear here, all of this hysteria is because we lost to second ranked Ohio State? Really? We know we can play defense. They looked completely different last year from how they had looked for the past 25 years, and they still looked good for the most part last night. Ohio State is a very very good team and very very fast. Hell, Clemson torched Alabama last year. Do they suck now?

We know Allen can coach defense at the very least. He has had two drastic turn arounds at South Florida and here. It's not a fluke. Can we see how we do not playing one of the best teams in the country before these big melodramatic threads come about?

If Glass cared more about the program than his ego, he would have found a way to keep Wilson and Allen together for a couple of years.
Opening the University up to lawsuits typically isn't a good way to keep your job.

Jesus Christ. We lost to Ohio State. All that means is that we aren't going to make the college football playoff now. The horror.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT