ADVERTISEMENT

Where are you cutting back?

Telluride is very picturesque. Walkable. Not sure how an 11-year-old would like it. But would be easy adult hang-out place. Stay away from blue-grass festival. Beaver Creek would be a good sit and veg place too.
Ugh. Okay give me your top sit and veg town with an 11 year old for 4 days. Easy to get to. Fly right in or public transit. Simple.

I should’ve. I got a pit boss and all was great but I’ve had to replace all the electronics in it after one year of use. All are warrantied and free but it’s a pain in the ass to do it.

I have a Z grills at my cottage and I’m happier with that one. I’d recommend Z Grills over Pit Boss for quality and over Traeger as the price is more reasonable.
I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. It’s the size of a tall dorm fridge. It’s super easy and reasonably priced. You just have to add your own wood chips. Super easy.

I should’ve. I got a pit boss and all was great but I’ve had to replace all the electronics in it after one year of use. All are warrantied and free but it’s a pain in the ass to do it.

I have a Z grills at my cottage and I’m happier with that one. I’d recommend Z Grills over Pit Boss for quality and over Traeger as the price is more reasonable.
I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain about 3 years ago and it's been great so far (I mean, it's a metal tube with grates, what could go wrong).

As long as you stay somewhat close to it you're fine. I ponied up for the wireless thermometer which helps but it's not really "set it and forget it".

I've been snooping the pellet grills for a while now.

Ugh. Okay give me your top sit and veg town with an 11 year old for 4 days. Easy to get to. Fly right in or public transit. Simple.
A balcony room at the BroadMoore. My daughter and SIL took our granddaughter there for 11th or 12th birthday and she loved it. But that was off-season.

Otherwise Beaver Creek or Telluride comes closest to your specs with the edge going to BC.

A balcony room at the BroadMoore. My daughter and SIL took our granddaughter there for 11th or 12th birthday and she loved it. But that was off-season.

Otherwise Beaver Creek or Telluride comes closest to your specs with the edge going to BC.
Perfect

Yeah, I want to do a West trip when our youngest gets a little older. When I was younger we did a trip out to Montana where we stopped at the badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and Little Bighorn along the way. Then we did Yellowstone. That was a cool trip where you got to see some stuff that is pretty unique.
Just did it last year and it was fantastic.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain about 3 years ago and it's been great so far (I mean, it's a metal tube with grates, what could go wrong).

As long as you stay somewhat close to it you're fine. I ponied up for the wireless thermometer which helps but it's not really "set it and forget it".

I've been snooping the pellet grills for a while now.
Man you are doing it authentic. I started with a bullet smoker to learn how to BBQ. Then I got lazy and went with the idiot proof electric. So much easier to the big overnight pork shoulders. No babysitting required.

Man you are doing it authentic. I started with a bullet smoker to learn how to BBQ. Then I got lazy and went with the idiot proof electric. So much easier to the big overnight pork shoulders. No babysitting required.
That's the thing......beyond 6-8 hours and the chain from my foot to the smoker gets a bit tight.

I also quit tithing at church. If I get asked to go to a social event, I make sure they drive.
Make friends with Outside Shitter. He drives old cars, but he'd love it if you'd chip in $5 for gas.

That was good timing on your part
Didn't feel like it at the time since I discovered my car had a cracked engine block and had to buy another one. But yeah, given gas prices, that would have set me back quite a bit more this year.

I'd consider just driving and getting AirBnBs along the way when you do this. We did that instead and it gave us more mobility when we got to where we were going and some of the places we stayed in were really cool. I think it was probably cheaper, too, although I had this dream of driving the RV.

Also, if you want to do a mini-version, you could fly into Rapid City, SD and rent a car and in 4 days hit Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park (not to be missed), Deadwood, the Badlands, and Devil's Tower. That's a really cool area.

Didn't feel like it at the time since I discovered my car had a cracked engine block and had to buy another one. But yeah, given gas prices, that would have set me back quite a bit more this year.

I'd consider just driving and getting AirBnBs along the way when you do this. We did that instead and it gave us more mobility when we got to where we were going and some of the places we stayed in were really cool. I think it was probably cheaper, too, although I had this dream of driving the RV.

Also, if you want to do a mini-version, you could fly into Rapid City, SD and rent a car and in 4 days hit Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park (not to be missed), Deadwood, the Badlands, and Devil's Tower. That's a really cool area.
The RV is my dream. A good buddy of mine's kid played her first season of D1 last year. My buddy rented an RV and takes the fam to her away games. He loves it. I've been hooked on the idea since. I want to do a long trip out west with the entire fam in an RV but this year would be way too expensive. We are doing Fla in August as a whole fam and once every year or so I do a short trip with my 11 yr old daughter. This is that short trip. So i want it to be super easy and self contained in one spot

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
If you stay at the Broadmoor, they reopened the Cog Railway last year and that takes you up to Pikes Peak (vid below). You may need a car if you're wanting to visit Garden of the Gods or downtown COS.

Otherwise, I agree with Telluride or Glenwood Springs, which the latter would be a drive from DIA but it's a nice drive once you get through Denver. You may be able to fly into Grand Junction that's not too far from GS.

Smoke at 180 for 3 hours directly on grill grate. Low temp. Lots of smoke. Then wrap ribs in tin foil and get smoker heat up to 225. Put back on for 2 hours. Then take out of foil. Mop with bbq sauce and put back on grill grate for 1 hour.

3-2-1.

There is some other things involved. But that's the jist.

Points of clarification:

3-2-1 for St Louis spare ribs (meatier/fattier...or just better.)
2-2-1 for Baby Backs

The first part at 225. In part two, apply squeeze parkay and brown sugar inside the foil...liberally. No BBQ sauce on the ribs for the last part. Just another hour at 225 to tighten them up. The out of the smoker and onto the Weber grill for a couple of minutes per side at high heat. Not long, just to give a touch of char.

BBQ sauce on the table for those that want it.

If you stay at the Broadmoor, they reopened the Cog Railway last year and that takes you up to Pikes Peak (vid below). You may need a car if you're wanting to visit Garden of the Gods or downtown COS.

Otherwise, I agree with Telluride or Glenwood Springs, which the latter would be a drive from DIA but it's a nice drive once you get through Denver. You may be able to fly into Grand Junction that's not too far from GS.

Thanks. Already looked up the Broadmoor. Place is largely booked for the summer

is the Z grill Russian?

When realtors asked my salary and then said how much house I can buy, I told them they were crazy. When car dealers asked my salary and then said how fancy a car I can buy, I told them they were crazy.
I had to chuckle at that because that is exactly what I told them... maybe not even that nicely. :)

Reactions: outside shooter
One of my wife's pet peeves, when we lived in Indiana, was Hoosiers putting 's on the end of everything.

for example,

J. C. Penney became J. C. Penney's
Aldi became Aldi's.
White Castle became White Castle's.

I told her that Long John Silver's was Long John Silver's's (pronounced Long John silvers-ez)

I hadn't really noticed it until she mentioned it. I think I've cut it out.
Yep..... Krogers, Lillys .... and don't forget warsh instead of wash. :)

Reactions: outside shooter
The RV is my dream. A good buddy of mine's kid played her first season of D1 last year. My buddy rented an RV and takes the fam to her away games. He loves it. I've been hooked on the idea since. I want to do a long trip out west with the entire fam in an RV but this year would be way too expensive. We are doing Fla in August as a whole fam and once every year or so I do a short trip with my 11 yr old daughter. This is that short trip. So i want it to be super easy and self contained in one spot
Florida in August is about as sadomasochistic as it gets. H-o-t Hot.

Yep awful. I have to be there for work though
Let's see, Florida or Missouri in August....

larry-david-unsure.gif

The ideal is Florida October-May and (Maine, New Hampshire, or Michigan UP) April-September.

Though Mays are getting hotter. Too many 90 degree days already.

Yeah, I want to do a West trip when our youngest gets a little older. When I was younger we did a trip out to Montana where we stopped at the badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and Little Bighorn along the way. Then we did Yellowstone. That was a cool trip where you got to see some stuff that is pretty unique.
Did that with friends last summer, as we weren’t ready to leave US. Great trip. Hopefully going overseas in July.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
There are several good choices:

Colorado Springs: Stay at The Antlers down town. Great eateries to walk to. Pikes Peak RR and Cheyenne Mountain Zoo top drawer. Or take out a second mortgage and stay at BroadMoore. Lots of two-bit touristy stuff in Manatou Springs at Pikes Peak.

Glenwood Springs: Great Hot Springs. Walkable downtown. Mountain-Top amusement park. Public transportation to Aspen. Rafting on Colorado River.

Vail: World class restaurants. Gorgeous setting. Hiking and hanging out.

Frisco: Reasonable prices. Walkable town. Public Transportation to Copper Mountain and Breakenridge. Copper has a great Alpine Coaster. Maybe vail has one but not sure.

Estes Park. Full of tourists, lots of touristy stuff, but Rocky Mountain National Park. Crowds!

Grand Junction. A real town. Walkable. Colorado National Monument scenic drive. Can take a day trip to Moab and Arches Canyonlands N.P.

Fort Collins: Most microbrews per acre.

Boulder: Cutsey down town, scenic, but will need conversion therapy if there more than 24 hours.

When our kids were 11 and 14, we spent a week at a dude ranch. They loved it!
Hm what a surprise Boulder is my favorite. Will be there again in August for a Red Rocks concert. Bucket List!

20 years ago whe my kids were little and were all dinosaur crazy, we had a great vacation in early summer at Dinosaur National Monument and surrounding areas on the Colorado-Utah border.

We have been to Beaver Creek both in winter and summer and it is a nice place, though I wouldn't put Avon as being as scenic, foody, and fun as nearby Vail and other CO mountain towns like Aspen and Steamboat Springs. It's nicely located, though, for a variety of easy day trips.

20 years ago whe my kids were little and were all dinosaur crazy, we had a great vacation in early summer at Dinosaur National Monument and surrounding areas on the Colorado-Utah border.

We have been to Beaver Creek both in winter and summer and it is a nice place, though I wouldn't put Avon as being as scenic, foody, and fun as nearby Vail and other CO mountain towns like Aspen and Steamboat Springs. It's nicely located, though, for a variety of easy day trips.
I have been to the Smoky Mountain🤠

The smokies were always fun, with the exception of the one time back when we were living in Cincinnati and we got off work on a Friday night, loaded up the car with a baby in tow, and drove toward the Smokies. We figured we'd stay that night near Knoxville. We got in the area and every hotel/motel/hole in the wall was 100% full. "Don't you know it's UT homecoming weekend?" they kept saying at the desks. This was early 90s so pre-online booking.

After stopping a dozen times we got the last room at a super cheap-o scuzzy America's Best Value Inn, at double the normal price. It was filled with rowdy UT fans smashing beer bottles all night long and tearing up the place. We left in the morning, stepping over the piles of broken glass. Broken light fixtures, even. I became a diehard lifelong UT hater that night.

We got to Gatlinburg and had fun, but that near-sleepless night put a damper on things.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Ironic how this thread turned into a discussion about mountain resort vacations.
Was thinking the same. I enjoy travel and BBQ like the next guy, but the "where are you cutting back" was actually interesting.

What I'm trying to say is more Aldi and less Telluride. 😁

Reactions: UncleMark
Ironic how this thread turned into a discussion about mountain resort vacations.
Quick story. I worked home construction in high school and college. The owner of the company lived in a 550k house, and this was in 90s.

Anyway, our shop was next to the Hostess delivery guy. A favorite activity of my boss was dumpster diving each night for the expired donuts and honeybuns when the driver returned.

So if any of you live near a Hostess driver, that is one way to save a buck.

Was thinking the same. I enjoy travel and BBQ like the next guy, but the "where are you cutting back" was actually interesting.

What I'm trying to say is more Aldi and less Telluride. 😁
Summer vacas are important to the kids. I think. It's something they remember. I'd rather cut back on eating out to make sure summer vacation occurs. my parents were hoosiers (not the indiana variety). when i was a little kid my dad got fired from whatever job it was that he had at the time. we were all over at my aunt's house that night and my mom and dad, aunt and uncle, and one other uncle said F it let's go on vacation. my uncle had a getaway van at the time. one uncle made a bed by the back windows. my mom and dad sat in chairs. and i sat in a tire in the middle of the back. when it got hot about half way there my uncle pulled over and they took the door off the side of the van. we drove straight down the double nickle to new orleans with the entire side of the van wide open. dad and uncle got into a bar fight and arrested on bourbon street. released the following morning. then we continued on to Fla. Redneck riviera. I bought an alligator on the trip. later when we got home my dad flushed it.

summer vacas matter to kids. they make memories. the rest of being a kid is mostly a blur

Last edited:
It's "Aldi's". Cheaper than Kroger's and not far from the White Castle's

;)
I'm nearly 50, making more money than I've ever made in my life (wife is too), though we're still just middle class Btowners and I'm barely cutting back anywhere. We're far from extravagant, but I'm not going to lose sleep over a little extra money spent to eat out or go on a moderate vacation when that money isn't going to make or break me later in life.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT