ADVERTISEMENT

When the plane lands in Bloomington

First, from 1995 to 2000, IU B10 finishes:

2nd
6th
5th
3rd
5th

And that's the "worst" run in Knight's career.

Next, everyone you mentioned transferred except Patterson. Also, 3 of the 4 were in the same class. The infamous class that killed the 90s. Recker only one not in class.

IU's talent level dropped big time in the mid to late 90s

I thought you have been a fan for 40 years or something?

Thank you for writing this out.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
And neither were high ranked out of high school.

I don't think Knight had 5 top 50 guys on any of those teams....maybe only 3 or 4.

Besides the players you listed, who else during that 5 year run were highly recruited?
Had 4 Mcdonald's AA on one team, Collier, Recker, Patterson and Reed so is that not enough talent on one team.

This was 97-98 and also had Charlie Miller a top 50-60 player as well.
Scott, Reed had TRANSFERRED!
His last season was 1996-97.

And Collier left at mid season, also. Think that might've hurt their chances in the Big Ten that year?

For all your bragging about being an IU fan for the last 40 years, you get a lot of facts wrong. Do you even know what Google is?

Leave Scott alone. He's on record saying that he has ALWAYS supported firing Crean.

The rumor in Bloomington is that Glass is working on an extension for Crean. That's from a source pretty close to the program.

Reactions: yosdk
Leave Scott alone. He's on record saying that he has ALWAYS supported firing Crean.
I have and stated it after the loss to to WSU in the tournament as well as after all the off the court stuff. All i ever did was support him since he is the coach at IU but that doesn't mean I would rather have a better coach. I also said you couldn't fire him after last year after winning the conference.

You are out of your gourd if you believe that to be true. If Knight can bring Texas Tech to respectability, he could surely "compete" with a team that had 7 top 50 players. Bringing one of the best coaches of all time into an argument about Crean bombing is loco.

LOLOLOL Yeah, Texas Tech was amazing. Pretty sure James Dickey earned Texas Tech a 3 seed just a couple years before Knight took the helm. Knight, with all of his popularity couldn't ever achieve such a feat. If you pretend Knights name didn't help him at Texas Tech then I have nothing for you.

Either way, the fact still remains.

It amazes me the lengths that the Crean defenders will go to in attempting to prop him up . . .

Consider it propping him up if you want but it's merely stating an opinion. That team just didn't have a great mesh of talent. Again, you can blame Crean for putting that together but I didn't have much expectations for that team.

Consider it propping him up if you want but it's merely stating an opinion. That team just didn't have a great mesh of talent. Again, you can blame Crean for putting that together but I didn't have much expectations for that team.
I have no problem with you having a different opinion that I. Not at all.

You've said two things in particular during this whole discussion I find at odds:

ha Obviously we do. Some have the mentality of a quick trigger. Others are more diligent. To each their own.

Again, while I won't claim that there isn't those within the fanbase who would fire at will without reason, there are very few that could be labeled as "quick trigger" when it comes to evaluating Crean.

you can blame Crean for putting that together but I didn't have much expectations for that team.

Huh??

You said yourself within this thread that you were basing an evaluation of Crean "after the rebuild". Indiana had just gone to 2 Sweet 16's and won a B1G title - and with TWO McD AA's (one a top 10 player in Vonleh) and 7 top 50 players in all you're telling us that YOU didn't expect better than an 8th place finish in the conference? Really?

I know what we need!

We need someone to start threads on the following topics:

1. Who do we want for our next coach.
2. When is Glass going to get rid of CTC (full of insider knowledge).
3. The uniforms

Reactions: YOTHN
You said yourself within this thread that you were basing an evaluation of Crean "after the rebuild". Indiana had just gone to 2 Sweet 16's and won a B1G title - and with TWO McD AA's (one a top 10 player in Vonleh) and 7 top 50 players in all you're telling us that YOU didn't expect better than an 8th place finish in the conference? Really?

Correct, and that season is one that is held against Crean without a doubt. Trust me it was disappointing and I was hoping for more but I also knew that we lost over half of our scholarship players the year prior. That isn't insurmountable if you have a couple veteran star players but our stars were a young Yogi and a 17 yr old Vonleh.

Cody Zeller
Victor Oladipo
Remy Abell
Christian Watford
Jordan Hulls
Derek Elston
Maurice Creek

So again, I am not saying people can't criticize him for that season. I just didn't have any real expectations. Not making the tourney isn't a situation I would usually be ok with but that is some overwhelming circumstances. Plus the fact that he was still recruiting well made me think he would pull this team right back to where it was. That hasn't happened....to date. Not looking like he will either.

Correct, and that season is one that is held against Crean without a doubt. Trust me it was disappointing and I was hoping for more but I also knew that we lost over half of our scholarship players the year prior. That isn't insurmountable if you have a couple veteran star players but our stars were a young Yogi and a 17 yr old Vonleh.

Cody Zeller
Victor Oladipo
Remy Abell
Christian Watford
Jordan Hulls
Derek Elston
Maurice Creek

So again, I am not saying people can't criticize him for that season. I just didn't have any real expectations. Not making the tourney isn't a situation I would usually be ok with but that is some overwhelming circumstances. Plus the fact that he was still recruiting well made me think he would pull this team right back to where it was. That hasn't happened....to date. Not looking like he will either.

Ahh you are finally looking at his full body of work. Wildly unimpressive. Sure, sometimes talented teams don't mesh but we keep seeing that again and again with our guy.

Lots of coaches find a way to get yogi and vonleh to at least some kind of tourney but check our guys history of even making the NCAAs. Lots of coaches get this team a 2 seed but we'll be on the bubble.

Finally everyone agrees he pretty much sucks at this job despite momentary glimpses of competence.

The rumor in Bloomington is that Glass is working on an extension for Crean. That's from a source pretty close to the program.

If that happens, I will be packing away my candy stripes until he's gone. I can't stomach it anymore. He's ruined IU basketball for me and I've been attending games with my dad for nearly 40 years. Never thought I would see the day. Now, I go to games just to hang out with my dad. Otherwise, I wouldn't go.

Extension? lol That would be the last nail in my fandom coffin.

Cody Zeller
Victor Oladipo
Remy Abell
Christian Watford
Jordan Hulls
Derek Elston
Maurice Creek

IU didn't make the NCAA OR the NIT that year.....

We should have at least made the NIT.

IU didn't make the NCAA OR the NIT that year.....

We should have at least made the NIT.

IU should never go below the NIT. I agree with that. But do you go from being a 1 seed and roundly considered the best team in the country all year to that season and then fire the coach? To me, it's a point where I had no expectations and although I definitely wanted more, I wasn't going to say fire him because of that year. The next year we lost Vonleh and still improved. Then last year happened. All leading us to where we are now.

IU should never go below the NIT. I agree with that. But do you go from being a 1 seed and roundly considered the best team in the country all year to that season and then fire the coach? To me, it's a point where I had no expectations and although I definitely wanted more, I wasn't going to say fire him because of that year. The next year we lost Vonleh and still improved. Then last year happened. All leading us to where we are now.
They weren't "roundly considered the best team in the country all year" by anyone.

They weren't "roundly considered the best team in the country all year" by anyone.

ha Seriously? Very informative. When you provide a counter argument, you should actually provide something of value instead of just saying "that's not true". I am referring to the weeks ranked #1. We held the top billing for half of the season which is more than any other team. You do understand the point I was making, right? Or are you trying to dive into semantics just because you're "that guy"?

Indiana - 10
Duke - 5
Gonzaga - 3
Michigan - 1
Louisville - 1

ha Seriously? Very informative. When you provide a counter argument, you should actually provide something of value instead of just saying "that's not true". I am referring to the weeks ranked #1. We held the top billing for half of the season which is more than any other team. You do understand the point I was making, right? Or are you trying to dive into semantics just because you're "that guy"?

Indiana - 10
Duke - 5
Gonzaga - 3
Michigan - 1
Louisville - 1
But if we are honest that team was never the best in the country top 10 for sure but lived off the hype of the 2 Kentucky games the previous year.

Indiana - 10
Duke - 5
Gonzaga - 3
Michigan - 1
Louisville - 1
I watched the games, including their fade down the stretch in the BiG, BiG semi final wipeout against Wisconsin and their weak play in the NCAA tournament.

If you're going to keep commenting, you might want to brush up on the subject matter just a little or, like the football board, you'll continue to be routinely discredited.

I watched the games, including their fade down the stretch in the BiG, BiG semi final wipeout against Wisconsin and their weak play in the NCAA tournament.

If you're going to keep commenting, you might want to brush up on the subject matter just a little or, like the football board, you'll continue to be routinely discredited.

LOL Right ,you're opinion is valued much more than.....oh the coaches who voted? SMH Do you actually believe the things you type?

But if we are honest that team was never the best in the country top 10 for sure but lived off the hype of the 2 Kentucky games the previous year.

You have the right to your opinion on that. That team swept Michigan that went on to play in the national title. Won the B1G outright when it was at its best in 2 decades. I think that team was the best team in the country if not top 2. For sure.

LOLOLOL Yeah, Texas Tech was amazing. Pretty sure James Dickey earned Texas Tech a 3 seed just a couple years before Knight took the helm. Knight, with all of his popularity couldn't ever achieve such a feat. If you pretend Knights name didn't help him at Texas Tech then I have nothing for you.

Either way, the fact still remains.

I believe I mentioned the word respectable. Bob Knight missed a tournament once at IU. Texas Tech has gone roughly two times a decade since 1950. Knight took them to three NCAA tournaments in a four year span. Saying he couldn't take the 13/14' IU team to March has no merit. And the popularity line... I don't really get it? Did Crean's team flounder because of a popularity metric I didn't know existed?

Reactions: Rakkasan29

Where did anyone say fire him because of that year?

There were serious concerns (valid ones) after the fade down the stretch in 2013, the Syracuse debacle and then the 2013-14 season. But not until the following fall - when Crean had multiple player arrests / incidents building up - was anyone calling for this head.

LOL Right ,you're opinion is valued much more than.....oh the coaches who voted? SMH Do you actually believe the things you type?
It's been shown for quite sometime that the coaches who vote in polls rarely watch most of the teams they're considering given how busy they are with their own programs. In fact, a number have admitted through the years that they've largely abdicated and had an assistant or other program representative vote for them (yes, it happens in football, too). You should understand these things better if you're going to offer such strident views. It's why you continue to be discredited.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
It's been shown for quite sometime that the coaches who vote in polls rarely watch most of the teams they're considering given how busy they are with their own programs. In fact, a number have admitted through the years that they've largely abdicated and had an assistant or other program representative vote for them (yes, it happens in football, too). You should understand these things better if you're going to offer such strident views. It's why you continue to be discredited.

So again, you feel you know more than the coaches. You yourself are much more educated in that area than them. Got it. lol wow.

Where did anyone say fire him because of that year?

There were serious concerns (valid ones) after the fade down the stretch in 2013, the Syracuse debacle and then the 2013-14 season. But not until the following fall - when Crean had multiple player arrests / incidents building up - was anyone calling for this head.

Where did I say anyone said "fire him"? I merely said I wouldn't say fire him. Come on Taz. You are trying to connect misleading dots instead of staying within the confines of the conversation. Why?

Agreed.........

So again, you feel you know more than the coaches. You yourself are much more educated in that area than them. Got it. lol wow.
As we've seen previously, you don't read well. I'll try again and type slower . . . Coaches often don't vote and, when they do, they're admitted to being underprepared since they rarely get to see the teams they're considering. Many tend to favor coaching friends or conference brethren as a result. Actual observers of the sport are a far more reliable barometer and, in the case of IU, people who watched them down the stretch that year knew they weren't the best team in the country. Not sure why you continue to get tripped up by such basic things.

It better not include a raise in pay or any kind of crippling buy out. Either one is a fireable offense.

There is no reason to touch his contract unless he agrees to something less for the years he's already being offered. I can't imagine an extension would be coming. There just couldn't be any justification behind it. If there was going to be an extension due to the past successes or call it what you may.....then it would've happened at that time. What would be the reason to delay and decide to do that now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT