ADVERTISEMENT

When the plane lands in Bloomington

The bottom line is coaches don't get 10 years to succeed at elite programs. 10 years is an eternity for college coaches to stay at the same place. Most get 4-5 to prove themselves. Crean is in his 9th year now. This cat isn't going back in the bag.
1544271239-200_s.gif

Reactions: IU40IU
The bottom line is coaches don't get 10 years to succeed at elite programs. 10 years is an eternity for college coaches to stay at the same place. Most get 4-5 to prove themselves. Crean is in his 9th year now. This cat isn't going back in the bag.

This brings back the question as to who is judging him on his first years with the program. I begin to judge after the rebuild so we are in that 5 year window you speaketh of. In year 5, after 2 B1G titles, I think it's reasonable for some to say they are coming to a close on his career if he doesn't turn things around.

When did I ever claim this? The only time I've mentioned Latham's name on here was less than a week ago when I called you out for being wrong on Latham.

I never said I was right on him or that I knew he would be as good as he is, I simply pointed out that you were very wrong on him and your ego was too big to admit that.

What? I said he would get drafted and you said he wouldn't.....and he didn't. Are you changing your stance now? Typical.

Its simple.....how many good years has Crean had and what is the chance of good years in the future?

If IU paid the head basketball coach the same as Notre Dame, I would be fine with Mike Brey results. As would the rest of the fan base. And honestly, Mike Brey has been a better coach than Crean during this "magical" 2 B10 titles and 3 Sweet 16s in 5 years.

But, this isn't Notre Dame and the expectations are different as reflected in being the 9th highest paid coach in the country.

It doesn't matter what years you or I count or not.....how many have met expectations? 3? 2? 1? 0? Because I know this year has not and there are more that haven't than have.

Its time.....no hard feelings....

So you agree with me its going to be time if he fails again this year. *high five*

What? I said he would get drafted and you said he wouldn't.....and he didn't. Are you changing your stance now? Typical.
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. You lost me completely.

Why?

Because the problems we are having today isn't about the players - it's about the system this program runs. We lose games like last night the same way we did in 2013-14.

To overcome the deficiencies in running the style Crean favors, you have to have great playmakers (not specifically PG's, either). Recruiting has completely fallen off the map in getting those types of players. We've got good kids and I love 'em to death, but we don't have an impact player on this team - which is why we struggle in games that we've lost (like last night). We don't have a Yogi (or even a Troy) to hide the issues that plague us from our style of play.

EDIT: I went back and looked at 2013-14. Here are some examples of how we performed in the 4 Key Stats that I had explained in the Romeo Langford ... thread: FG attempts, eff FG %, FT attempts and FT %.

Formatted: FGA / effFG % / FTA / FT% (OR / TO)

SYRACUSE 69, IU 52

INDIANA 41 / 41.4 / 24 / 75.0 (12 / 16)

SYRACUSE 47 / 57.4 / 25 / 60.0 (11 / 11)

NOTRE DAME 79, IU 72

INDIANA 63 / 46.8 / 16 / 81.3 (13 / 13)

NOTRE DAME 54 / 51.8 / 30 / 76.7 (7 / 11)

And look how we won against #10 Michigan:

IU 63, MICHIGAN 52

MICHIGAN 45 / 43.3 / 18 / 72.2 (8 / 10)

INDIANA 43 / 62.7 / 15 / 60.0 (9 / 13)

Right.....why didn't you put the next sentence I said in bold?

Tas, why do you keep talking about todays team. We are in agreement about today's team.

Would it be because it would make your post moot? We agreed there. Still. But that doesn't explain why you keep talking about this year being the defining nail as we both agree to that.

Interesting that you come out of the woodwork to proclaim this NOW. lol Who are you again?
Oh I didn't know there was a prerequisite to have this opinion. Who the hell are u thinkin u can tell me what I am and am not allowed to say? ...this is Ks24; kid somehow managed to lock that account

Right.....why didn't you put the next sentence I said in bold?

Tas, why do you keep talking about todays team. We are in agreement about today's team.

Would it be because it would make your post moot? We agreed there. Still. But that doesn't explain why you keep talking about this year being the defining nail as we both agree to that.
I'm not talking about this year being the "defining nail" - I'm talking about the evaluation of Crean based on HOW THE TEAM PLAYS.

You insisted a number of posts back that "some have the mentality of a quick trigger". I would counter that most - if not all - of the fanbase that has issues with Crean's performance as a coach base it off of HOW we play and WHY we continue to have the issues we do - hence the comparison of 2013-14 to 2016-17.

Again, WHAT IS THE COMMON DENOMINATOR? It's Crean. Some of us started seeing these issues in the 2013-14 season, whereas you saw that year as an understandable falloff. While a drop could be expected, no way with that group of talent should we have finished 8th - even as young as that team was. The problems then, as today, is the system.

Reactions: CradleofBasketball
This brings back the question as to who is judging him on his first years with the program. I begin to judge after the rebuild so we are in that 5 year window you speaketh of. In year 5, after 2 B1G titles, I think it's reasonable for some to say they are coming to a close on his career if he doesn't turn things around.
Is it just me or is this guy full of excuses?

I'm not talking about this year being the "defining nail" - I'm talking about the evaluation of Crean based on HOW THE TEAM PLAYS.

You insisted a number of posts back that "some have the mentality of a quick trigger". I would counter that most - if not all - of the fanbase that has issues with Crean's performance as a coach base it off of HOW we play and WHY we continue to have the issues we do - hence the comparison of 2013-14 to 2016-17.

Again, WHAT IS THE COMMON DENOMINATOR? It's Crean. Some of us started seeing these issues in the 2013-14 season, whereas you saw that year as an understandable falloff. While a drop could be expected, no way with that group of talent should we have finished 8th - even as young as that team was. The problems then, as today, is the system.

Right, again we agree. *high five*

Oh I didn't know there was a prerequisite to have this opinion. Who the hell are u thinkin u can tell me what I am and am not allowed to say? ...this is Ks24; kid somehow managed to lock that account

Did I say it was some prerequisite? Pretty sure I didn't. I merely made an observation and it apparently hit a sore spot. ;)

Is it just me or is this guy full of excuses?
Yes he is full of? Excuses

Did I say it was some prerequisite? Pretty sure I didn't. I merely made an observation and it apparently hit a sore spot. ;)[/
Haha nah been reading ur posts for awhile now. I've come to expect dumb shit like that from u. I was merely calling out ur effort to call me out

He was told after 2 losing seasons that expectations were not being met. He resigned because he knew he would be fired at the end of another bad season. He said it was to minimize distractions his job uncertainty had created for the team.

Cool story bro....

He was told after 2 losing seasons that expectations were not being met. He resigned because he knew he would be fired at the end of another bad season. He said it was to minimize distractions his job uncertainty had created for the team.
Yea, I know that ...

Got to give him credit, Davis was far more self aware than our current coach. Realized and admitted he was in over his head. If Crean had any integrity at all, he would do the same and stop wrecking our program.. but I doubt his overly swollen ego would allow it.

Is it really a "rebuild" if it's not producing consistent results commensurate of his salary? That's why I count his first three seasons. I'd even argue that they were the most important seasons he's had here.

Color me not surprised.
Are you saying we talked about Latham a year ago before the draft? If so I applaud your memory. I can barely remember what I, or anyone else, posted on here last week.

Huh?

Didn't you say you "understood" our 2013-14 season? Didn't like it, but understood? Isn't that what you said?

Correct. Didn't think we performed as well as I'd like but understood that we were incredibly young. We had 2 Mickey D's but they were both young and the rest of the gang wasn't exactly world beaters. My hope being that we never have a season like that but considering that was following our best season in 2 decades, one couldn't reasonably say we must fire him that year. I am ok having years close to that every 3 to 4 years. Last year was saved by the B1G title but we needed more this year. If he doesn't we move on.

Correct. Didn't think we performed as well as I'd like but understood that we were incredibly young. We had 2 Mickey D's but they were both young and the rest of the gang wasn't exactly world beaters. My hope being that we never have a season like that but considering that was following our best season in 2 decades, one couldn't reasonably say we must fire him that year. I am ok having years close to that every 3 to 4 years. Last year was saved by the B1G title but we needed more this year. If he doesn't we move on.

You had two McD AA's and SEVEN top 50 kids. That wasn't enough to not finish 8th?

UK has a ton of freshmen every year - how do they cope?

UCLA went to the Sweet 16 (Alford's 1st year, same 2013-14 season) with a number of young guys playing heavy minutes and key roles.

A drop from 2013? Understood - but NOT to EIGHTH!! Inexcusable.

You had two McD AA's and SEVEN top 50 kids. That wasn't enough to not finish 8th?

UK has a ton of freshmen every year - how do they cope?

UCLA went to the Sweet 16 (Alford's 1st year, same 2013-14 season) with a number of young guys playing heavy minutes and key roles.

A drop from 2013? Understood - but NOT to EIGHTH!! Inexcusable.

UK has all one and dones and plays in the SEC. Last I checked they lost to IU 10 months ago when everything was on the line. It's tough to compete when you have young kids even if they're all NBA bound let alone our guys.

As for Alford, didn't he just go 15-17 with 6 Mickey D's? I wouldn't use him as your example.

Blame Creans roster management via recruiting all you want. That team was not going to compete if we had RMK himself.

UK has all one and dones and plays in the SEC. Last I checked they lost to IU 10 months ago when everything was on the line. It's tough to compete when you have young kids even if they're all NBA bound let alone our guys.

As for Alford, didn't he just go 15-17 with 6 Mickey D's? I wouldn't use him as your example.

Blame Creans roster management via recruiting all you want. That team was not going to compete if we had RMK himself.

We're talking about the 2013-14 season - the one that you "understood" was a down year to the extent we finished EIGHTH in the Big 10. Remember?

Alford had 2 Mickey D's. Although a poor season, he still had less talent than the 2013-14 Indiana team.

"That team was not going to compete if we had RMK himself"

Huh? Please explain how Knight had 7 seniors and 4 starters graduate in 1983, yet beat UNC w/ Jordan the next season? And that was with a team that had a whole lot less talent than 2013-14.

Last edited:

You are out of your gourd if you believe that to be true. If Knight can bring Texas Tech to respectability, he could surely "compete" with a team that had 7 top 50 players. Bringing one of the best coaches of all time into an argument about Crean bombing is loco.

You are out of your gourd if you believe that to be true. If Knight can bring Texas Tech to respectability, he could surely "compete" with a team that had 7 top 50 players. Bringing one of the best coaches of all time into an argument about Crean bombing is loco.

It amazes me the lengths that the Crean defenders will go to in attempting to prop him up . . .

It amazes me the lengths that the Crean defenders will go to in attempting to prop him up . . .
Not trying to defends Crean but some of the last few years of RMK team had some highly ranked players and he did not do much with it. Players like Recker, Reed, Patterson, Collier were all McDonald's All Americans who did not do well in the tournament.

Not trying to defends Crean but some of the last few years of RMK team had some highly ranked players and he did not do much with it. Players like Recker, Reed, Patterson, Collier were all McDonald's All Americans who did not do well in the tournament.

First, from 1995 to 2000, IU B10 finishes:

2nd
6th
5th
3rd
5th

And that's the "worst" run in Knight's career.

Next, everyone you mentioned transferred except Patterson. Also, 3 of the 4 were in the same class. The infamous class that killed the 90s. Recker only one not in class.

IU's talent level dropped big time in the mid to late 90s

I thought you have been a fan for 40 years or something?

First, from 1995 to 2000, IU B10 finishes:

2nd
6th
5th
3rd
5th

And that's the "worst" run in Knight's career.

Next, everyone you mentioned transferred except Patterson. Also, 3 of the 4 were in the same class. The infamous class that killed the 90s. Recker only one not in class.

IU's talent level dropped big time in the mid to late 90s

I thought you have been a fan for 40 years or something?
I have been but people were saying how could Crean lose with 7 top 50 players and just saying RMK did with that group. That Group also included Guyton one of the all time leading scorers in IU history to go along with Lewis one of the all time leading assist players in IU history.

I have been but people were saying how could Crean lose with 7 top 50 players and just saying RMK did with that group. That Group also included Guyton one of the all time leading scorers in IU history to go along with Lewis one of the all time leading assist players in IU history.

And neither were high ranked out of high school.

I don't think Knight had 5 top 50 guys on any of those teams....maybe only 3 or 4.

Besides the players you listed, who else during that 5 year run were highly recruited?

Reactions: IUPaterade724

Odd players to quote. 3 of them transferred

Crean wasn't even close to making the tournament with that roster of 7 top 50. RMK made the tournament every year. How is that hard to comprehend?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT