ADVERTISEMENT

Beard, Oats, McDermott

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
All 3 have signed contract extensions rather than take jobs at Ohio State, Louisville or Michigan.

So when we move on from Woody, whenever that is, some of you are going to be very disappointed with who is actually interested in the job/who we get.

And this isn’t a ‘we should keep Woodson’ post because I wasn’t a fan of the hire to begin with and I see the warts clearly.

Anyone talk to Brad lately?

Sorry. Can’t help it.

I think we need to prepare ourselves for the unfortunate reality that, when the position becomes open again, it’s not going to appear to be as appealing as we all have convinced ourselves it is over all these years. The program is a mess, the fan based is pissed off, the brand had 25 yrs of rust on it, and there’s a lot of cleaning to do. Fixing IU basketball has to be viewed as the deep end of the pool in the coaching fraternity. It is going to take a strong soul to get this back on track, and within the timeframe that us non- “true “ fans expect.

All 3 have signed contract extensions rather than take jobs at Ohio State, Louisville or Michigan.

So when we move on from Woody, whenever that is, some of you are going to be very disappointed with who is actually interested in the job/who we get.

And this isn’t a ‘we should keep Woodson’ post because I wasn’t a fan of the hire to begin with and I see the warts clearly.
It’s why we should pull the plug and go all in on Pearl

Beard has tough background for a school to stomach, and I hear he’s got more skeletons in his closet that adds even more risk. He’s unhirable for a lot of schools, including IU.

Not sure two coaches signing extensions indicates much for our search whenever it happens. Bigger issue for IU is the group of people making decisions on IUBB. No idea who they may target and what they may pitch/offer to those candidates. It may be disappointing.

Beard has tough background for a school to stomach, and I hear he’s got more skeletons in his closet that adds even more risk. He’s unhirable for a lot of schools, including IU.

Not sure two coaches signing extensions indicates much for our search whenever it happens. Bigger issue for IU is the group of people making decisions on IUBB. No idea who they may target and what they may pitch/offer to those candidates. It may be disappointing.
Same with Pearl, although his skeletons aren’t legal/trying to choke your wife out.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think there are great coaches not currently making $4.2 that would be interested.

I like Beard, don't like Oats. Not sure McDermott would be the right fit but he's a good coach.

Anyway, plenty of appeal to the job at Indiana still.

Reactions: Yukoncharley

Kevin Wilsonesque

I think there are great coaches not currently making $4.2 that would be interested.

I like Beard, don't like Oats. Not sure McDermott would be the right fit but he's a good coach.

Anyway, plenty of appeal to the job at Indiana still.
I’m not saying any of those guys are or are not good for Indiana. I’m saying that several coaches who are successful and highly regarded are choosing to stay put for more money than choose a payday and start over.

Our pool of options won’t be what you all think they will be.

Reactions: stollcpa

Whoever IU has in mind...if those coaches know it....they know they are candidates for 2025, not 2024. Woodson has to languish another season...get paid.....and IU's portal mercenaries will do their one year stint and move on. This isn't IU basketball.....its American Party Rental.

There are a lot of big jobs open. It's probably not a great time to be coach shopping. I can't see that IU would be a better job than OSU or Michigan today. And the whole "football school" argument doesn't mean squat.

There are a lot of big jobs open. It's probably not a great time to be coach shopping. I can't see that IU would be a better job than OSU or Michigan today. And the whole "football school" argument doesn't mean squat.
It’s narrowed but how could Michigan be better than IU? We may screw this up but we can pay a lot more salary, we have more NIL for bball, and playing at AH and at a school that cares about bball has to be a little better than empty Crisler.

It’s narrowed but how could Michigan be better than IU? We may screw this up but we can pay a lot more salary, we have more NIL for bball, and playing at AH and at a school that cares about bball has to be a little better than empty Crisler.
We can pay more? Than 110,000 seat, sold out, national champion Michigan? FFS are you serious?

Reactions: Zeester
Also, the general thought right now is Ohio state and Michigan aren’t going big name or big money. Mays name keeps coming up for those two. Louisville on the other hand is going bigger. They have poured money into nil. Some think musselman is very interested. His buyout will be 1 million.

I think May might wait for Indiana job. But you will still have in no typical order.

Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Mark Few, Scott Drew, Jamie Dixion, Bruce Pearl, Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes, Thad Matta, Steve Alford, Tony Bennett.

Any desirable coach looking at the situation has to see that IU is a shell of its former self coached by an empty suit. Who would want that? Exactly the kind of coach that IU would never hire....a Bruce Pearl. Might as well add irony to mediocrity and nostalgia. Pearl isn't my first choice...but I would take him in a heartbeat because, if nothing else...IU would fight and claw its way into the NCAA tournament with a roster that looks like IU's this off season.

Reactions: Pryght and bawlmer
The real risk to our coaching search is the group that brought us the Woody show will likely mostly be around for the next hire and making the decisions and pitches to coaches. Athletics isn’t too high of a priority at IU vs other schools.

Last edited:
IU has several factors that make Bloomington a desirable destination. The fanbase, instate recruiting, the campus, the resources, the history. If Purdue can be successful the Hoosiers can certainly find a great coach to take on the challenge!

The real risk to our coaching search is the group that brought us the Woody show will likely mostly be around for the next hire and making the decisions and pitches to coaches. Athletics isn’t too high of a priority at IU vs other schools.
Buckner needs to be removed from his position. I am willing to give Dolson one more chance but I don’t have much confidence in him either.

Reactions: Indymoon
IU has several factors that make Bloomington a desirable destination. The fanbase, instate recruiting, the campus, the resources, the history. If Purdue can be successful the Hoosiers can certainly find a great coach to take on the challenge!
But it has to be a priority...and there has to be some urgency. Is either of these elements missing?

I think May might wait for Indiana job. But you will still have in no typical order.

Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, Mark Few, Scott Drew, Jamie Dixion, Bruce Pearl, Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes, Thad Matta, Steve Alford, Tony Bennett.
That is a terrible list.

Very seldom on the men’s side. I see some campers get 8 seconds with no call. They call the actual 3 seconds on the women’s side all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT