ADVERTISEMENT

What really pisses me off....

Didn’t McNeely show up to the games wearing something like a tuxedo? There were reports of the guy in full business attire like a fish out of water and so aloof that he wouldn’t interact with anyone.
I saw that pompous ass, strutting around Atlanta for the FF, looking like he couldn't be bothered with the little people. He and his ass-kissers were in their own little world.

Reactions: vesuvius13
McNeely was an outsider, a West Coast face-man/wannabe surfer- boy out of touch with our more traditional Mid-west values. He didn’t last here long. They never do, as candles in the wind, burning out long before their infamous legend for ineptness ever did.
Wasn't he the one that spent a lot money to take away the 3d logo and replace it with our current 2d logo?

I don't mind the change. Doesn't seem like an outside firm needed paid to come up with it though

One of the things that hurt Bill Lynch is that he had far less tolerance and willingness to overlook bad behavior than Hep. I don't mean this to trash CTH or to speak ill of the dead, but Hep was never regarded as much of a disciplinarian. I personally knew a couple of guys who coached with him who both shared the opinion that he was a great guy and a great coach, but that he had a bit of Bobby Bowden and Joe Tiller in him when it came to disciplining star players. I also know a kid who played for him at Miami who talked about the shenanigans that Ben Reothlisberger got away with there. Some of the rumors regarding his bad behavior in the NFL aren't hard to believe given the stories that this kid told.

Kellen Lewis and James Hardy both crossed lines that Bill Lynch wasn't willing to tolerate (and in fairness, Hep might not have either). Booting Lewis and suspending Hardy (who left early in part because he was in Lynch's doghouse frequently) absolutely hurt Lynch's success as head coach at IU. Coupled with the fact that CBL's less-than-dynamic personality hampered his ability to attract top-tier talent to IU kind of ultimately doomed him. I still maintain that Bill Lynch was as good a strategist as any coach we've had since Bill Mallory and I defend that based on the fact that both Mallory and Hep actively sought him to come to IU as an assistant. Unfortunately, the ability to attract ample numbers of top-quality talent is an essential part of being a successful P5 head coach.
What I remember about Bill Lynch is the opponents making halftime adjustments and Bill Lynch didn't.

Wasn't he the one that spent a lot money to take away the 3d logo and replace it with our current 2d logo?

I don't mind the change. Doesn't seem like an outside firm needed paid to come up with it though
Unless you DON'T hire a firm and then fork it up royally because you didn't get the feedback from people during the process. I knew an MBA student who was doing an internship in the department during that time and that was one of his pet projects. It was an interesting process and the final outcome is good and has a much longer lifespan....to the point that the entire university ended up adopting what athletics was using.

Schnell, from Elkhart, was also a very long time ago. I guess my point remains that IU has had only a very small handful of home grown kids play quarterback for our Hoosiers since the 1950s when I began to pay attention. So when Jackson became available, we jumped on him. I get that but Sorsby seems better. Was Allen figuring that Tennessee saw something in Jackson that he did not see? Yes, Purdue has grabbed some good QBs from Hoosierland but give me the Texas kid all day over the Indy kids. We are talking about very different levels of high school football.
MIC is a high level football conference, whose top 3 can compete anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT