ADVERTISEMENT

Well... It looks like I'll be new car shopping soon

My uncle used to drive a red Miata. He had bright red hair and was a walk-on lineman at mizzou. He weighed 335. Fought Steve stipanovich in a bar. His dog was a 104 pound English bulldog. Together they’d ride around town with the top down
Stipo! Former Pacer.

He attempted suicide - or claimed he did - while at Mizzou. After that, when he played at opposing arenas, people would bring cap guns and fire them. The gyms would fill with smoke. lol

Different times.

To each his own. I'm an old man, so...

I've yet to see an SUV that looks cool. This gives you AWD, good interior size, and good storage in the hatch. Covers the SUV bases without looking like a suburban housewife.
Audi Allroad. Cool in every respect.

Im taking the A6 in for service next week, if they have an A6 Allroad on the lot. . .well . . .I’m concerned.

BTW, my A6 is the best car I’ve ever owned. With the rear seats down, it has SUV room in the back.

The best looking to me are a deep blue or deep burgundy.
I like those colors but I would personally never buy them because they show dirt so easily. We have a deep blue Outback and it looks dirty all the time even though it's probably washed once a week. Our other car is a light green Forester and it has to be really dirty to notice that it is dirty. However, I will say that when both are clean i like the color of the Outback better. Side note: My wife wanted the Outback color and that is not something worth arguing about.

Im taking the A6 in for service next week, if they have an A6 Allroad on the lot. . .well . . .I’m concerned.

BTW, my A6 is the best car I’ve ever owned. With the rear seats down, it has SUV room in the back.
To me the shape is a lot like our 2018 Outback.

I think the Audi cars are good cars but I've never been tempted to buy an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc because I was always concerned (maybe unnecessarily) about getting them repaired if I was in the middle of ND (or someplace similar). Most mechanics work on Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus, etc but I was never sure about the ones mentioned above.

I bought the CX-90 PHEV. 100 miles so far. The first 30 was driving it home and they hadn't charged the plug-in battery at the dealership. Charged it at home and since then I have been running mostly on EV mode, ~30 miles before hybrid mode kicks in. I'm aiming to get 1,000 miles from a 18 gal tank. Of course electricity isn't free, but still it figures to be a pretty economical choice and I am reminded how Mazdas are fun to drive.
Don't want to get too personal but wanted to ask if the dealer would deal with you or did they set a price and say that's it...take it or leave it? I've not looked into buying a car for a while and I wondered what it's like out in the real world.

I think the Audi cars are good cars but I've never been tempted to buy an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc because I was always concerned (maybe unnecessarily) about getting them repaired if I was in the middle of ND (or someplace similar). Most mechanics work on Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus, etc but I was never sure about the ones mentioned above.
The cost of repairs, even for simple oil changes are pretty outrageous at some German auto manufactures dealerships. You need to really consider how much you love the look and the drive to justify the associated extra costs.

The cost of repairs, even for simple oil changes are pretty outrageous at some German auto manufactures dealerships. You need to really consider how much you love the look and the drive to justify the associated extra costs.
Yeah for sure. I've never been into cars all that much... they are just something that will get me from point A to point B but I want something that has proven to be reliable. However, I understand that some people really like cars just like I really like other things that they wouldn't.

Reactions: Bill4411
Yeah for sure. I've never been into cars all that much... they are just something that will get me from point A to point B but I want something that has proven to be reliable. However, I understand that some people really like cars just like I really like other things that they wouldn't.
Plus you want to be near a dealership rather than live 50 miles away from it. Is the inconvenience worth the aggravation because of the bright and shiny object you see in front of you?

Reactions: NPT
Ehh. Almost all new euro cars especially BMW come with a free maintenance plan while under warranty. They also offer plans beyond that. Most oil change and rotate are $80 bucks.

Ehh. Almost all new euro cars especially BMW come with a free maintenance plan while under warranty. They also offer plans beyond that. Most oil change and rotate are $80 bucks.
Says the mechanic to the Stars🤪

Isn’t the allroad an A4

Try $475 on an oil change when it's out of warranty and in order to reset the vehicles system after the oil change you need a special instrument to do it. Before Covid they would pick-up your car and bring it back to you after the oil change, but not any longer. You can find some local repair shops that have the equipment but still you are talking about $150/change.

BTW thanks for the tip on BMW's. Consumer Reports now loves BMW's and they used to hate them. They must have picked up there game in the last few years.

You can get a free tire rotation at Belle Tire even if you didn't buy your tires there.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Try $475 on an oil change when it's out of warranty and in order to reset the vehicles system after the oil change you need a special instrument to do it. Before Covid they would pick-up your car and bring it back to you after the oil change, but not any longer. You can find some local repair shops that have the equipment but still you are talking about $150/change.

BTW thanks for the tip on BMW's. Consumer Reports now loves BMW's and they used to hate them. They must have picked up there game in the last few years.

You can get a free tire rotation at Belle Tire even if you didn't buy your tires there.
Lol. If anyone pays that then you are stupid. The scanner to do that isn’t special. (Plus you don’t need a scanner)Every newer car has maintenance counters. Once that BMW is out of warranty any competent shop can do the work and it’s not going to be 450 bucks. The reason is places typically use oil changes to get you in the door for more maintenance. Now repairs are more costly. Maintenance isn’t. People do confuse the two.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Lol. If anyone pays that then you are stupid. The scanner to do that isn’t special. (Plus you don’t need a scanner)Every newer car has maintenance counters. Once that BMW is out of warranty any competent shop can do the work and it’s not going to be 450 bucks. The reason is places typically use oil changes to get you in the door for more maintenance. Now repairs are more costly. Maintenance isn’t. People do confuse the two.
Not to mention every third car is a bmw

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Not to mention every third car is a bmw
The bmw dealer is a scam. They inflate prices. Maintenance isn’t rocket science and it’s extended further than ever. Toyota is now including maintenance on their cars. You know why? It gets you back in the door instead of at pep boys. Maintenance is a non factor in buying 99% of cars today. They all have similar standards and oil/filter companies use those standards. Tires? Same. Hell brakes are even lasting 60-90000 miles.

I could get it changed elsewhere for $150 but I need to take it in at some point on a recall so I may as well kill two birds with one stone but it sure isn't $80 no matter where I would take it.

I figured all you people on the left on this board drove Prius’s!

I could get it changed elsewhere for $150 but I need to take it in at some point on a recall so I may as well kill two birds with one stone but it sure isn't $80 no matter where I would take it.
Is it an M series? Regular BMW just use synthetic but M series use exotic 10w60 stuff.

Is it an M series? Regular BMW just use synthetic but M series use exotic 10w60 stuff.
It's not a BMW. I am hanging on to what I have because I think at some point I will need to get an electric car and don't want to be left holding the bag. Perhaps I should consider a lease?

Don't want to get too personal but wanted to ask if the dealer would deal with you or did they set a price and say that's it...take it or leave it? I've not looked into buying a car for a while and I wondered what it's like out in the real world.
They initially offered a price WAY over MSRP. 2024 model, limited supply, people waiting to buy them... I got the whole spiel. We were a long way apart. I ended up giving a little over MSRP and they gave me 2K for the Pilot, so it wasn't too painful.

2022 Lexus 350 h AWD SUV kinetic braking charging, No plug-in bullshit.

Repairs are a concern. When we took our 22k mile road trip in an A5 cabrio, I made sure I had good towing coverage. Our A5 had essentially a GTI engine and tranny, so I suppose a VW shop could have worked on it. But the thing ran like a Swiss watch the whole trip.

It's not a BMW. I am hanging on to what I have because I think at some point I will need to get an electric car and don't want to be left holding the bag. Perhaps I should consider a lease?

No! Never! Leases are for suckers.

Reactions: dr.jb
No! Never! Leases are for suckers.
That's true unless no one will want a used gasoline vehicle in a few years and you aren't stuck with it. I had a car salesman tell me years ago, when he knew, I wasn't going to buy his car say: "I wouldn't buy a new car and then I would drive the used car it until it quit running."

Reactions: UncleMark
I found out that after a little while a car is just another thing.
It's your upbringing Growing up, we were lucky if we had a car that wouldn't consistently break down. Always drove crappy cars, because that's all we could afford.

I feel fortunate every time I get in a car/suv that will take me from point A to point B safely.

Sure, I'd love to have a sports car, but the cost of one, plus the maintenance, just doesn't appeal to me. I had my '85 Trans Am experience, and it was fun, but my insurance didn't like all the points on my license.

Reactions: NPT
I had my '85 Trans Am experience
I had a little Triumph Spitfire for a while so I had that experience and I was done chasing the next best thing. It's like cell phones... as long as I can do what I want on it and it's still working good I'll keep it.

Reactions: DANC
They initially offered a price WAY over MSRP. 2024 model, limited supply, people waiting to buy them... I got the whole spiel. We were a long way apart. I ended up giving a little over MSRP and they gave me 2K for the Pilot, so it wasn't too painful.
Kind of amazing what autos cost nowdays..... The vehicle you bought cost a lot more than the first house I bought. :rolleyes:

I had a little Triumph Spitfire for a while so I had that experience and I was done chasing the next best thing. It's like cell phones... as long as I can do what I want on it and it's still working good I'll keep it.
I did buy a TR7 a few years before that, but sold it shortly thereafter to my cousin, who was begging me to sell it to him. Great little car.

OK, gearheads. 2 weeks after the grim but vague news from my mechanic, and spark plug replacements, the check engine light returned. I got error code readings, as follows:

primary
P0303 Misfire, cylinder 3 detected
secondary
P0302 Misfire, cylinder 2 detected
P0304 Misfire, cylinder 4 detected
P0305 Misfire, cylinder 5 detected
P0306 Misfire, cylinder 6 detected
P0300 Random Misfire detected
P1399 Misfire in any cylinder

It seems like the triage is as follows:
1) check/replace spark plugs - already done
2) replace engine coil packs - NOT DONE, based on receipt from mechanic!

Those are supposed to fix the issue, most often. If it doesn't work, there could be other problems:

Bad Fuel Injector
Vacuum leak
Cam or Crank Sensors
Leaking head gasket
Bent valve
Cracked head

Most of these later issues would cause major performance issues, which I don't see.

I guess the engine coil replacement is worth a shot. I don't know why the mechanic didn't do it.

$65 for 6 on Amazon

Wife says I'm crazy to go off of youtube videos and message board advice when our mechanic of 17 years says it's time to retire the beast

Thoughts?
I'd take the mechanic's advice and dump the bitch...

Kind of amazing what autos cost nowdays..... The vehicle you bought cost a lot more than the first house I bought. :rolleyes:
I never knew Ford made a Crown Vic with a single T-Top or L top I think they call it. Check out the pulling power. I need to reconsider my future options.

L8oNUOQH

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I never knew Ford made a Crown Vic with a single T-Top or L top I think they call it. Check out the pulling power. I need to reconsider my future options.

L8oNUOQH

this was from a great show called fatal attractions. it was about people who were outsiders who would buy and live with exotic animals. the episodes were all the same format. and wonderful

Family member: joey never had many friends growing up. he was an outsider. he mostly just kept to himself, listening to music, avoiding people. That all changed when he got his first hyena. it just gave him a sense of accomplishment and the confidence he never had before. when he bought a second, and then a third and fourth, it was the happiest we'd ever known him.

narrator in a somber voice: that it ended tragically was almost inevitable.

expert: hyenas cannot be domesticated. at some point their instincts....

bailey-buffalo-550x412-500x374.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Indianaftw
No gas bought in August.
No gas bought in July.
No gas bought in June.

The dealer filled it up at purchase in May and I'm now down to a little over 1/4 tank, with 1,400 miles driven. All daily commuting has been purely in EV mode. I took 4 or 5 longer trips using gas/hybrid mode but nothing over 150 miles round trip.

My lawn mower needs gas, so I might have to get some soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT