ADVERTISEMENT

Buying a new car--HELP!

No disrespect, but this is not necessarily true. Castings do crack, sometimes out of the blue, but usually excessive heat is involved. There is a long list of potential underlying conditions that can contribute to loss of coolant, abnormal combustion, etc. that can cause this.
Anything is possible. It's just that in my experience, nowadays it's extremely rare. That's why I thought a second opinion was in order. Since we weren't given any information on the car or its history, it was impossible to determine just how likely a "cracking" block might be.

Anything is possible. It's just that in my experience, nowadays it's extremely rare. That's why I thought a second opinion was in order. Since we weren't given any information on the car or its history, it was impossible to determine just how likely a "cracking" block might be.
Through my work I evaluate OE failure modes & data, rare is of course relative, but there are tens of thousands of incidents annually…

I’ve always wished I could put Honda drivetrains in Toyota vehicles. Not that either is particularly weak in any one area, but I’ve always preferred Honda’s engines & trans but Toyota’s ride & interior...
I gave the Pilot to my wife and now drive her 2009 Accord because of the ride and handling.

She drives 800 yards to work so the ride and handling she gets ... from a car ... doesn't move her needle.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I just got home from this trip two days ago. We flew into Rapid City, rented a car and flew out of Salt Lake City. Hard to even rent a car now, but we reserved months ago. This was a trip postponed from last year.
Can you give us a summary of the high and low lights? I'm doing this trip next month, although driving out there and back.

It's a 2011 Kia Sorrento. Already had the engine replaced once, while under warranty. Apparently, Kia has figured out a lot of their reliability issues in the last ten years, and their Telluride is very highly rated. But we've had enough problems with this car, that my wife refuses to get another Kia. I want a car I don't have to worry about. I hate going to a mechanic because I always feel like I'm getting screwed. From what I've seen the cost of ownership of a Honda is among the lowest around.

Regarding the suggestion to buy a used minivan, that's my other car that I mostly drive (I ride the train to work); 2010 Chrysler Town and Country with 170k miles that I keep pouring money into. Needless to say, my sex appeal has never been higher.

It's a 2011 Kia Sorrento. Already had the engine replaced once, while under warranty. Apparently, Kia has figured out a lot of their reliability issues in the last ten years, and their Telluride is very highly rated. But we've had enough problems with this car, that my wife refuses to get another Kia.
Gotchya. Kia (and it's sister name plate Hyundai) would be at the lower end of the reliability scale, although both have come a long way as you've noted.

You should be good to go for a number of years with your new car. I ran the parts department in a Honda dealership for a number of years, and way back when ran a Toyota service department. In both cases, we would joke that we were like the Maytag repairmen.

What does everyone think of the upcoming Ford Maverick? I've been looking for a cheap smallish truck for a while and can't justify dropping 35-40k on a Tacoma, Ridgeline, or Ranger.
It’s going to be built in Mexico. So there’s that.

What does everyone think of the upcoming Ford Maverick? I've been looking for a cheap smallish truck for a while and can't justify dropping 35-40k on a Tacoma, Ridgeline, or Ranger.
This looks like my next vehicle. I was looking for a smaller truck, but the used Tacoma market is bonkers. The Maverick checks almost all the boxes for me. The standard hybrid is brilliant. I only wish they would have done a standard AWD. Subaru has been doing AWD forever. The Maverick is competing for Outback customers. They should have worked that part out. But, a great looking, properly small truck at that price point is really great.

Gotchya. Kia (and it's sister name plate Hyundai) would be at the lower end of the reliability scale, although both have come a long way as you've noted.

You should be good to go for a number of years with your new car. I ran the parts department in a Honda dealership for a number of years, and way back when ran a Toyota service department. In both cases, we would joke that we were like the Maytag repairmen.
Hey, i just repalced a 9 y/o Maytag washer (which I of course had just paid $180 to repair two months prior). So there's that. Dryer's still going strong.........for now.

Leasing is for suckers. And yes, you're going to get shafted. It's a terrible time to be shopping for a vehicle. The new car lots are empty. Used car prices are through the roof. You're screwed.

And don't buy some stodgy SUV or CUV. Boring. Buy something cool.
I agree re: leasing isn't the way to go. Most places are offering 0% financing right now. I just got a 2021 Subaru Outback and put a good amount down and am pretty happy with what I paid and what my monthly payments are.

I also don't plan on getting a new car for another 8-10 years at the earliest. With a lease I'd be stressed about every nick in the paint, going over mileage, etc.

As far as the Outback goes, I'd recommend it. My neighbor has a Pilot and I drove that and prefer the Outback. I know they're not apples-to-apples, but I'd still recommend the Outback.

I agree re: leasing isn't the way to go. Most places are offering 0% financing right now. I just got a 2021 Subaru Outback and put a good amount down and am pretty happy with what I paid and what my monthly payments are.

I also don't plan on getting a new car for another 8-10 years at the earliest. With a lease I'd be stressed about every nick in the paint, going over mileage, etc.

As far as the Outback goes, I'd recommend it. My neighbor has a Pilot and I drove that and prefer the Outback. I know they're not apples-to-apples, but I'd still recommend the Outback.

I had a 2003 Pilot back in the day when our kids were small. It was fine. My wife has a Subaru Crosstrek now. She likes it. I'm just not a fan of that sort of vehicle. But, if one must got that route Subaru is not a bad choice, for sure.

I'm just done with SUV/CUV things. I'm really over it.

I had a 2003 Pilot back in the day when our kids were small. It was fine. My wife has a Subaru Crosstrek now. She likes it. I'm just not a fan of that sort of vehicle. But, if one must got that route Subaru is not a bad choice, for sure.

I'm just done with SUV/CUV things. I'm really over it.
I totally get it. Ideally I'll keep this current car around for 8-10 years, but I might also downgrade to a smaller car when they're both out of the house (my youngest graduates high school in 2025).

I did look at the Crosstrek, but ended up going with Outback because I wasn't convinced there'd be enough room to lug around my two kids, dog, etc.

I might need to replace my 2003 Honda Pilot at some point.

I debated whether to do a transmission overhaul at 230,000 miles, but went through with it. At 367,000 miles it seems to be holding up. I did have to replace the radiator fans recently, as it trended toward overheating at idle. Other than brake jobs and routine maintenence, that is about it for 18 years of constant use.

My personal car ownership history as an adult:
1993 Acura Integra - great car, crashed/totalled at 160K miles
1997 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD- constant headache, on the junk pile at 75K miles
1997 (or so) Dodge Intrepid- constant headache, on the junk pile at 90K miles
2003 Honda Pilot- solid as a rock- 367K miles and going
2003 Honda Accord- solid as a rock -traded in by daughter after ~150K miles
2005 Honda CRV- solid as a rock - 180K miles and going (now in other daughter's hands)
2013 Honda Accord- solid as a rock - 99K miles and going

growing up I had various pieces of trash: 1969 or so Pontiac Tempest, 1977 or so AMC Hornet, 1983 or so Chevy Cavalier, none of which got to 100K miles

I have obviously gravitated toward Hondas after numerous very bad experiences with other makes.

Last edited:
Subaru used to be well known for head gasket issues which were quite expensive to repair. Hopefully they've corrected that

I debated whether to do a transmission overhaul at 230,000 miles, but went through with it. At 367,000 miles it seems to be holding up. I did have to replace the radiator fans recently, as it trended toward overheating at idle. Other than brake jobs and routine maintenence, that is about it for 18 years of constant use.

2005 Honda CRV- solid as a rock - 180K miles and going (now in other daughter's hands)

growing up I had various pieces of trash: 1969 or so Pontiac Tempest, 1977 or so AMC Hornet, 1983 or so Chevy Cavalier, none of which got to 100K miles

I have obviously gravitated toward Hondas after numerous very bad experiences with other makes.

Your post got me thinking and a bit nostalgic really. I used to curb cars as a younger man. I would buy auction/trade-in or repo cars, repair and detail them then drive them with a for sale sign in them all through my 20's and 30's. So when considering cars I owned, they literally number in the triple digits, owning most of them for 30 days or less. That said, I was surprised by the number that I actually owned and drove for some time. The cars I bought for myself or my wife that we drove for 6 months or more totaled 31 lol.

Good List. Here's mine:

1979 Pontiac Trans am - awesome but I killed it being stupid
1993 Mazda 323 - literally went from 6.6 liter to 1.6 liter but it got me through college
1994 Geo Storm - started red, ended pink
1999 Saturn - put 196k on it before its demise
2009 Jeep Liberty - Still going barely over 100k (I live under 5 miles from my job)
2009 Nissan Versa - Still going. Probably going to the kid soon. Just hit 100k
2018 BMW 320i - finally something that I actually enjoy driving again (see the Trans Am up top)

I'm ready for a new car and this is literally the worst time ever to find one. Nice. For so many years my mantra was "no car payments" but as I age, and before every damn thing is electric, I'd like something fun to drive fast (again). YOU LEAVE MY MID LIFE CRISIS ALONE

Reactions: kkott
Good List. Here's mine:

1979 Pontiac Trans am - awesome but I killed it being stupid
1993 Mazda 323 - literally went from 6.6 liter to 1.6 liter but it got me through college
1994 Geo Storm - started red, ended pink
1999 Saturn - put 196k on it before its demise
2009 Jeep Liberty - Still going barely over 100k (I live under 5 miles from my job)
2009 Nissan Versa - Still going. Probably going to the kid soon. Just hit 100k
2018 BMW 320i - finally something that I actually enjoy driving again (see the Trans Am up top)

I'm ready for a new car and this is literally the worst time ever to find one. Nice. For so many years my mantra was "no car payments" but as I age, and before every damn thing is electric, I'd like something fun to drive fast (again). YOU LEAVE MY MID LIFE CRISIS ALONE
lol i wrecked one of those little mazdas in college. wasnt it a protege

I totally get it. Ideally I'll keep this current car around for 8-10 years, but I might also downgrade to a smaller car when they're both out of the house (my youngest graduates high school in 2025).

I did look at the Crosstrek, but ended up going with Outback because I wasn't convinced there'd be enough room to lug around my two kids, dog, etc.

How do you like your Outback...?

We are considering one in the near future but may hold out for their true off-road version that's supposed to come out as a 2023 model...

My biggest concern is that it's produced by a bunch of pu fans... That's a scary baseline to begin from...

Reactions: kkott and UncleMark
I’ve always wished I could put Honda drivetrains in Toyota vehicles. Not that either is particularly weak in any one area, but I’ve always preferred Honda’s engines & trans but Toyota’s ride & interior...
My ex had an Accord hatchback that ran forever, but the last few years I don't think the AC worked, windows, etc.. We then got her another Accord and had a lot of fit and finish issues with the interior, but strong engine. I've always been a Toyota fan and they've been great cars to own inside and out.

How do you like your Outback...?

We are considering one in the near future but may hold out for their true off-road version that's supposed to come out as a 2023 model...

My biggest concern is that it's produced by a bunch of pu fans... That's a scary baseline to begin from...
I really like it.

I traded in my 2012 Outback and got a 2021 Premium edition. I went with another Outback because until last year I didn't have any issues and didn't put any money into my old car (with the exception of routine maintenance). and that was when it was closing in on 200,000 miles. The issue I had with my old car was the head gaskets/cylinder value issue that is sort of well known with Subarus, but the guy who fixed it said that with some TLC I could have gotten it to 300,000.

I was actually going to keep that car and give it to my son, but he was adamantly against driving a station wagon. I told him I'd be happy to hold onto it, but he held his ground - I wasn't going to make him take it. As an aside, I saw that the dealership is selling my old car for just over $7,000.

Back to the 2021 - it's great. It has all the whistles and bells a modern car has and it drives really well. My hope is that it lasts me 8-10 years like the last one as I plan to drive the eff out of it.

Reactions: dbmhoosier and 76-1
I really like it.

I traded in my 2012 Outback and got a 2021 Premium edition. I went with another Outback because until last year I didn't have any issues and didn't put any money into my old car (with the exception of routine maintenance). and that was when it was closing in on 200,000 miles. The issue I had with my old car was the head gaskets/cylinder value issue that is sort of well known with Subarus, but the guy who fixed it said that with some TLC I could have gotten it to 300,000.

I was actually going to keep that car and give it to my son, but he was adamantly against driving a station wagon. I told him I'd be happy to hold onto it, but he held his ground - I wasn't going to make him take it. As an aside, I saw that the dealership is selling my old car for just over $7,000.

Back to the 2021 - it's great. It has all the whistles and bells a modern car has and it drives really well. My hope is that it lasts me 8-10 years like the last one as I plan to drive the eff out of it.
Thanks!

We’ve got a hybrid and wouldn’t go back to all gas. I’d likely go electric in a couple years when they’re farther up the learning and design curves but you don’t want to head out West wondering where your next KW will come from.
Hybrid saves a ton of gas, break wear; so far maintenance has been good. Accelerates great with gas and electric motors.

Reactions: 76-1
I really like it.

My friend calls Subarus, Lesbarus. Usually not far off the mark. Glad you like yours.... NTTAWWT!

So I'm going to Yellowstone this summer. Had my car checked out. Mechanic says my engine is cracking and will die soon and I should sell the car immediately. I had planned on driving it into the ground, get at least 200k on it, but its at 120k and it has to go.

Given the price of used cars in general, everyone tells me to buy new. So I'm looking to lease a new SUV (most likely a Pilot, Telluride, or Highlander). Just got back from a dealership where they lied several times so I left. How do I do this without getting screwed and without sitting around all day at a dealership battling bait-and-switch? Any help or advice appreciated.
I would rent. The cost of renting will be no more than the cost to drive your own car plus you are off the hook if it breaks. If you don't have status with one of the rental companies check out renting through costco.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
We’ve got a hybrid and wouldn’t go back to all gas. I’d likely go electric in a couple years when they’re farther up the learning and design curves but you don’t want to head out West wondering where your next KW will come from.
Hybrid saves a ton of gas, break wear; so far maintenance has been good. Accelerates great with gas and electric motors.
How does it save on brake wear? Do the electric motors provide more "engine braking" than the gas engines with transmissions that allow for more coasting?

Regenerative braking means drivers don't need to use mechanical brakes as often as they would in gasoline cars. But battery packs add a lot of weight to electric cars, making them harder on tires,

With a little care regenerative braking recaptures most of my kinetic energy; My friction brakes don't get used much. I don't know how much my batteries weigh but my gasoline engine only gets used when I accelerate or the battery is low or when ac is on. It runs when and how the car's brain tells it to. I doubt it needs to be as big and heavy as an ICE often is.

The perfect ending to an otherwise wonderful day. I had the pleasure of seeing a short chubby gal, along the side of the road, with a gas powered portable 5gallon electric generator plugged into her Little Red Ohmzvette.
Like a true gentleman, I stopped and offered her a funnel, if she needed it.

No, she didn’t understand the gesture.

The perfect ending to an otherwise wonderful day. I had the pleasure of seeing a short chubby gal, along the side of the road, with a gas powered portable 5gallon electric generator plugged into her Little Red Ohmzvette.
Like a true gentleman, I stopped and offered her a funnel, if she needed it.

No, she didn’t understand the gesture.
No gas, no grass, no ass no ride.

She should have had a hybrid, then she could have avoided a lot of problems.

41Ev0WRiB1L._AC_.jpg

Before buying your next vehicle, everyone needs to read the book, Don’t Get Taken Every Time by Remar Sutton, an insiders guide to buying or leasing your next car or truck. He warns you of all the tricks the car salesmen/dealers play. It was a real eye opener and I’ve been leery of them ever since.

Before buying your next vehicle, everyone needs to read the book, Don’t Get Taken Every Time by Remar Sutton, an insiders guide to buying or leasing your next car or truck. He warns you of all the tricks the car salesmen/dealers play. It was a real eye opener and I’ve been leery of them ever since.
I’ll check with my manager before I start the read.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT