ADVERTISEMENT

Well... It looks like I'll be new car shopping soon

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
FxkHcBvXwAIWjso.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I bought the CX-90 PHEV. 100 miles so far. The first 30 was driving it home and they hadn't charged the plug-in battery at the dealership. Charged it at home and since then I have been running mostly on EV mode, ~30 miles before hybrid mode kicks in. I'm aiming to get 1,000 miles from a 18 gal tank. Of course electricity isn't free, but still it figures to be a pretty economical choice and I am reminded how Mazdas are fun to drive.

I bought the CX-90 PHEV. 100 miles so far. The first 30 was driving it home and they hadn't charged the plug-in battery at the dealership. Charged it at home and since then I have been running mostly on EV mode, ~30 miles before hybrid mode kicks in. I'm aiming to get 1,000 miles from a 18 gal tank. Of course electricity isn't free, but still it figures to be a pretty economical choice and I am reminded how Mazdas are fun to drive.
I swear I heard on the radio of a perk that Tesla was going to try of paying for the electricity consumption of the vehilce for two years?

I'm sure the car can tell them exactly how much electicity it has consumed but don't kw hours have differnt costs across different regions?

Smart though.

I swear I heard on the radio of a perk that Tesla was going to try of paying for the electricity consumption of the vehilce for two years?

I'm sure the car can tell them exactly how much electicity it has consumed but don't kw hours have differnt costs across different regions?

Smart though.
My provider, FPL, has different plans. Either a constant per kwh rate or one with a higher rate in the daytime and a lower rate at night. I am on the flat rate since daytime HVAC figures to be the biggest usage. But I might look into the variable rate and do car charging and run most of the pool pumps at night. Will look into it.

With a phone app I can set the time for charging, say, to start at midnight or whenever.

I haven't got a home level 2 (220V) charger yet, just using the standard 110V slow charge and the cable that came with the car. The app indicates local chargers available, which ones are not in use now, which ones have no fee. A majority are free, or at least free for up to an hour. But since I'm not full EV anyway I figure to really only need to charge at home.

Lots of EVs are coming with some free charge time, but I don't have that.

I also don't qualify for the EV tax rebate, since the bill was amended this year to cover only EVs with a final point of assembly in the USA.

8-12 hr charge?

My provider, FPL, has different plans. Either a constant per kwh rate or one with a higher rate in the daytime and a lower rate at night. I am on the flat rate since daytime HVAC figures to be the biggest usage. But I might look into the variable rate and do car charging and run most of the pool pumps at night. Will look into it.

With a phone app I can set the time for charging, say, to start at midnight or whenever.

I haven't got a home level 2 (220V) charger yet, just using the standard 110V slow charge and the cable that came with the car. The app indicates local chargers available, which ones are not in use now, which ones have no fee. A majority are free, or at least free for up to an hour. But since I'm not full EV anyway I figure to really only need to charge at home.

Lots of EVs are coming with some free charge time, but I don't have that.

I also don't qualify for the EV tax rebate, since the bill was amended this year to cover only EVs with a final point of assembly in the USA.
Mazda's are some of the prettiest vehicles out there in the mass market. I know I'll probably be biting the EV bullet on the next vehicle purchase but I know I don't want a Tesla. The new Prius ad had me rolling.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
8-12 hr charge?
Yes, the last 10% is pretty slow. It can probably go from 10% to 90% in ~6h on 110V. 220V would be 5 to 8x faster, roughly, it would seem

There is some disagreement on best practices. Some say that battery life depends basically on the number of charge cycles, others say that fully draining to 0% and fully charging (above 95%) may have some effect of decreasing the battery lifetime.

Sharp looking.
sharp! Love the interior! That’s got to feel like a Bentley with as many miles as you had on your old car

Sharp looking.

sharp! Love the interior! That’s got to feel like a Bentley with as many miles as you had on your old car
Yes, tech has sure changed a lot in 21 years and I love the leather seats. I seem to be reviewing the 700 page owners manual every night. Have it as a pdf on my laptop. The first night I got a message on my phone saying that my driver's side door was unlocked and asking if I was OK with that. It was in my garage, so I could pick to ignore door lock warnings either always, or always at this location. I could also lock the doors from the app.

Mazda's are some of the prettiest vehicles out there in the mass market.
I have a red CX-30. One day, I was sitting in it in a parking lot, backed in a space under a shade tree waiting for the wife, when a big, bearded, burly guy in a pick-up truck parked next to me. When he got out, he gazed at my car for an uncomfortable amount of time, then said to me, "I really like that color...you can almost get lost in it."
I smiled, nodded, then rolled up my window.

I have a red CX-30. One day, I was sitting in it in a parking lot, backed in a space under a shade tree waiting for the wife, when a big, bearded, burly guy in a pick-up truck parked next to me. When he got out, he gazed at my car for an uncomfortable amount of time, then said to me, "I really like that color...you can almost get lost in it."
That soul red crystal metallic is one sharp color, for sure. One of the best in the industry.

I hadn't really noticed until I was car-shopping, but right now the inventory for most makes and models seems to be mostly exteriors in black, white, and shades of gray. Some places had no other choices on the lot.

My uncle used to drive a red Miata. He had bright red hair and was a walk-on lineman at mizzou. He weighed 335. Fought Steve stipanovich in a bar. His dog was a 104 pound English bulldog. Together they’d ride around town with the top down

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBing
Screw practicality, get this one:

Needs more space so should probably go with the wagon..

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Screw practicality
When my wife wanted her red convertible a couple of years back, Audi was a possibility. But they ditched the ragtop option on anything below an A5. We drove a Mini Cooper (BMW engine) and it was a keeper. She had wanted a Miata but the thing was just too tiny. The Mini at least has a semblance of back seat for a dog or kid, plus head room even for my 6'4" son, with the top down. A Miata really isn't for anyone over 5'10", sadly.

i could have gotten the CX-90 with a turbo in-line 6 that reviewers seem to love, but the PHEV was not much of a price difference and is pretty nimble in its own right.

The app indicates local chargers available, which ones are not in use now, which ones have no fee. A majority are free, or at least free for up to an hour. But since I'm not full EV anyway I figure to really only need to charge at home.

I wish that was really the case... someone is paying for the electricity.

There is some disagreement on best practices. Some say that battery life depends basically on the number of charge cycles, others say that fully draining to 0% and fully charging (above 95%) may have some effect of decreasing the battery lifetime.
I know regular lithium batteries in phones work better between something like 20% and 85%. I have my phone set to quit charging when it reaches 85%. Suppose to make the battery last longer.

I wish that was really the case... someone is paying for the electricity.

I know regular lithium batteries in phones work better between something like 20% and 85%. I have my phone set to quit charging when it reaches 85%. Suppose to make the battery last longer.
Most batteries are like that. You get way more life if you charge like that. LFP batteries last at 98% charged that way for 30 plus years.

Reactions: outside shooter
300 miles, ~2.5 gallons of gas used. Obviously lots of EV miles. Love it! Still figuring things out.
I was looking over new car tips and tricks today. If you really want to optimize your efficiency, many people are recommending that you grease your break rotors. I guess it reduces friction in an extreme way. Friction and resistance is a low hanging fruit to eliminate to improve efficiency.
There wasn't a consensus on the best grease, it seemed that all OFS grease performed equality enough for this purpose. You don't even have to have total coverage, just wipe some on all 4 rotors. It will self administer as you drive. Seems like a no brainier to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Mazda's are some of the prettiest vehicles out there in the mass market. I know I'll probably be biting the EV bullet on the next vehicle purchase but I know I don't want a Tesla. The new Prius ad had me rolling.
The best red is the business right now IMO. I always liked the looks of the 6.

I was looking over new car tips and tricks today. If you really want to optimize your efficiency, many people are recommending that you grease your break rotors. I guess it reduces friction in an extreme way. Friction and resistance is a low hanging fruit to eliminate to improve efficiency.
There wasn't a consensus on the best grease, it seemed that all OFS grease performed equality enough for this purpose. You don't even have to have total coverage, just wipe some on all 4 rotors. It will self administer as you drive. Seems like a no brainier to me.
That’s an “interesting” tip. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Since I'm out on the road so much I see a lot of different cars and dream about what I think are the coolest looking. One that I'm totally smitten by is the older Honda Crosstour, which is essentially an Accord 5-door fastback. The best looking to me are a deep blue or deep burgundy.

Here's a slideshow (of a red one):

Since I'm out on the road so much I see a lot of different cars and dream about what I think are the coolest looking. One that I'm totally smitten by is the older Honda Crosstour, which is essentially an Accord 5-door fastback. The best looking to me are a deep blue or deep burgundy.

Here's a slideshow (of a red one):

Really? One of my friends had one of those and I used to rib him about his old man car - and he’s almost twenty years younger.

Really? One of my friends had one of those and I used to rib him about his old man car - and he’s almost twenty years younger.

To each his own. I'm an old man, so...

I've yet to see an SUV that looks cool. This gives you AWD, good interior size, and good storage in the hatch. Covers the SUV bases without looking like a suburban housewife.

I've yet to see an SUV that looks cool. This gives you AWD, good interior size, and good storage in the hatch. Covers the SUV bases without looking like a suburban housewife.
To be fair, my sports coupe will probably be my last. It won’t be too many years before I’ll have trouble getting in and out of it. I’ll probably get a hybrid SUV or something then or maybe just a golf cart to putter around the old folks community.

Reactions: NPT and UncleMark

With Hondas it’s probably still the same price as a new one

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT