ADVERTISEMENT

Well... It looks like I'll be new car shopping soon

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
I need an SUV.

My Honda Pilot did its time: 21 years as an every day driver, 387,000 miles. But recently it started having check engine light issues and a power deficit. Turns out (according to my mechanic) a cylinder is misfiring. Even pulling the engine to diagnose it (not even to fix it) would be more than the value of the car at this point. The mechanic says I can drive it safely, I won't be stranded somewhere, but it will just in essence be a 5-cylinder car. So I guess there's no great rush and I COULD wait until fall and 2024 models or clearances on 2023s, if that even happens anymore with inventory shortages.

The obvious choice is another Honda Pilot. An alternative is a Toyota Highlander hybrid, which beats the Pilot in gas mileage 36 to 22, is very similar in cargo space, though more pricey.

I'm thinking I need a large SUV since my wife has a little convertible & I need something to haul two kayaks on top, or a hitch bike rack on back, and Ideally has enough interior room to fit my recumbent catrike without folding it up. I think CRVs and RAV4s are too small for that task.

Anybody got a Highlander lately? Any other big SUVs that you love? I would take some convincing to go to (say) a Ford or Chevy. Though in 21 years I suppose a lot has changed.

Last edited:
My man, if you can wait. Wait.

I understand if you can't. But the prices aren't falling like they should have. New vehicle inventory is still at (non COVID) historic lows (especially anything not fully assembled in the US). Used inventory is picking up but still maintaining an increased average price.

If you can catch a deal take it. If not, even waiting 3-6 months might save you a little bit. The new inventory will pick up and the used invnetory will skyrocket with trade ins.

Yeah, I'm thinking making it to next winter is likely a good idea. Inventories are really low, everywhere.

Mazda has a plug-in-hybrid 3-row seat SUV coming out in the fall, though Mazdas don't strike me as the equal of Hondas and Toyotas in durability.

Reactions: larsIU
I need an SUV.

My Honda Pilot did its time: 21 years as an every day driver, 387,000 miles. But recently it started having check engine light issues and a power deficit. Turns out (according to my mechanic) a cylinder is misfiring. Even pulling the engine to diagnose it (not even to fix it) would be more than the value of the car at this point. The mechanic says I can drive it safely, I won't be stranded somewhere, but it will just in essence be a 5-cylinder car. So I guess there's no great rush and I COULD wait until fall and 2024 models or clearances on 2023s, if that even happens anymore with inventory shortages.

The obvious choice is another Honda Pilot. An alternative is a Toyota Highlander hybrid, which beats the Pilot in gas mileage 36 to 22, is very similar in cargo space, though more pricey.

I'm thinking I need a large SUV since my wife has a little covertible & I need something to haul two kayaks on top, or a hitch bike rack on back, and Ideally has enough interior room to fit my recumbent catrike without folding it up. I think CRVs and RAV4s are too small for that task.

Anybody got a Highlander lately? Any other big SUVs that you love? I would take some convincing to go to (say) a Ford or Chevy. Though in 21 years I suppose a lot has changed.

387K.... wow.

That's an accomplishment.

Yeah, I'm thinking making it to next winter is likely a good idea. Inventories are really low, everywhere.

Mazda has a plug-in-hybrid 3-row seat SUV coming out in the fall, though Mazdas don't strike me as the equal of Hondas and Toyotas in durability.
They’re not as good as a Honda or Toyota. A lot of people love the Palisade and Telluride though.

I need an SUV.

I'm thinking I need a large SUV since my wife has a little covertible & I need something to haul two kayaks on top, or a hitch bike rack on back, and Ideally has enough interior room to fit my recumbent catrike without folding it up. I think CRVs and RAV4s are too small for that task.

We have a Highlander (not a hybrid) that we really like.

Reactions: outside shooter
I went through something similar not too long ago, though I didn't get anywhere near 387,000 miles!

I replaced a 2012 Subaru Outback with a 2021 Subaru Outback. Outside of having car payments again, I really like it and would recommend it.

Pulling the engine to diagnose? Find another mechanic.
It's either not getting fuel
or it's not getting fire
Or it's not getting air.
** or it has no compression
Pulling and engine to identify which part of the tetrahedron is missing, means the mechanic needs to make a boat payment.

edit ** compression

Nice work on the 387K. What year is it? Our 12 Odyssey just hit 200k.

I'm thinking about getting a new Pilot but we'll keep the van. If anything is more ridiculous than new car prices, it's used car prices.

Pulling the engine to diagnose? Find another mechanic.
It's either not getting fuel
or it's not getting fire
Or it's not getting air.
** or it has no compression
Pulling and engine to identify which part of the tetrahedron is missing, means the mechanic needs to make a boat payment.

edit ** compression
And it won't last long running on 5 cylinders.

I need an SUV.

I'm thinking I need a large SUV since my wife has a little convertible & I need something to haul two kayaks on top, or a hitch bike rack on back, and Ideally has enough interior room to fit my recumbent catrike without folding it up. I think CRVs and RAV4s are too small for that task.

Mini vans are the best bike and toy haulers. Don’t need that hitch rack. A suburban for also hauling ski stuff in the winter. . Oh, wait . . . .

Did the mechanic even check your spark plugs and wires?

Go to an auto parts store and ask them run a diagnostic test. It's a universal handheld reader that plugs in to a port under the drivers side dash usually.

I've had 2 cars, one toyota, I put 400,000 on and a Tacoma I put 288,000 on. A small sample size but no significant problems. It's almost always minor.

I went through something similar not too long ago, though I didn't get anywhere near 387,000 miles!

I replaced a 2012 Subaru Outback with a 2021 Subaru Outback. Outside of having car payments again, I really like it and would recommend it.
We have a 2018 Outback and 2018 Forester. We like both but like the Forester better because it sits a little higher and gets better mileage. I don't think either one fits OS's need because they are more the size of a RAV or CRV.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Nice work on the 387K. What year is it? Our 12 Odyssey just hit 200k.
2003, the first year of the Honda Pilot. Bought it new in September 2002. Which kinda explodes the rule of thumb that you never buy a new model in its first year., since they need to "work out the kinks"

Did the mechanic even check your spark plugs and wires?

Go to an auto parts store and ask them run a diagnostic test.
Yes, he checked and changed plugs & wires, but still having an issue. He didn't tell me the error code number. I should have asked, because he did read the code. maybe I will go to Autozone. I think that they do free code readings. But even with the code, I doubt there's something on the internet that helps me much

Yes, he checked and changed plugs & wires, but still having an issue. He didn't tell me the error code number. I should have asked, because he did read the code. maybe I will go to Autozone. I think that they do free code readings. But even with the code, I doubt there's something on the internet that helps me much
Hard to say when they get that old what kind of quirky things go wrong especially with all the sensors and electrical components

Then it's either got a bad fuel injector or it has no compression. Both of these are easy to diagnose and totally answer the question with no doubt. It take 4 things for a cylinder in an engine to create power.
Fuel (does it have it?)
Air (does it have it? if a valve isn't opening is the only way it doesn't have air)
Heat (is the spark plug firing)
Compression ( a simple compression check answers this).

Reactions: UncleMark
Then it's either got a bad fuel injector or it has no compression. Both of these are easy to diagnose and totally answer the question with no doubt. It take 4 things for a cylinder in an engine to create power.
Fuel (does it have it?)
Air (does it have it? if a valve isn't opening is the only way it doesn't have air)
Dream team doin yeoman’s work in this thread. #menfixingcars. Shame Cray isn’t here for it

Fuel (does it have it?)
This. Stuck or burnt valve is probably the culprit. Fixable, but probably not worth it.

Fuel (does it have it?)
Forgot about compression test. One cylinder not firing sounds like fuel injector or piston ring issue a possibility.

Yea but if a ring, a comp test answers that so it's not a question any longer. eliminate the question with answers. The idiot mech saying I need to pull it to test it is FVCKING boat poor.
Most of the info I got through my wife, who was talking to the mechanic, other than what I asked him when I picked it up. He probably found out more than I was told and I was in too much of a hurry to ask questions. He's been a good and fair-priced mechanic that I have used for >15y.

Most of the info I got through my wife, who was talking to the mechanic, other than what I asked him when I picked it up. He probably found out more than I was told and I was in too much of a hurry to ask questions. He's been a good and fair-priced mechanic that I have used for >15y.
Well that helps confirm my suspicions that your mechanics name is Capt Nemo.
Go fish in another hole for a second opinion. (the mechanic, not the wife).

Reactions: DANC
Good Lord what an exciting bunch. Get a freaking Roush or Shelby and LIVE. Screw gas mileage. Or get a GT stang make sure it has the new Voodoo motor. Those have the flat plane crank and Rev higher. My coyote revs to upper 7's and the voodoo goes higher. Take it over to Trevor at Fathouse Performance and have him put the twin turbo 1200 pkg on it. Then every single damn day walk out to your car with a grin. Not just any grin. A grin where you know. Start it every morning and smile. Put on the cool shades, back out of the driveway and hit it.

Yes shooter you have arrived. No more crappy days. No more bad days at work because your ride is outside waiting and nobody else on the street can touch it. You are now living the life shooter. No matter what anyone say or does matters not. Your car will take you away from all of it.

Or get the pilot and continue on with your boring life ;)

Good Lord what an exciting bunch. Get a freaking Roush or Shelby and LIVE. Screw gas mileage. Or get a GT stang make sure it has the new Voodoo motor. Those have the flat plane crank and Rev higher. My coyote revs to upper 7's and the voodoo goes higher. Take it over to Trevor at Fathouse Performance and have him put the twin turbo 1200 pkg on it. Then every single damn day walk out to your car with a grin. Not just any grin. A grin where you know. Start it every morning and smile. Put on the cool shades, back out of the driveway and hit it.

Yes shooter you have arrived. No more crappy days. No more bad days at work because your ride is outside waiting and nobody else on the street can touch it. You are now living the life shooter. No matter what anyone say or does matters not. Your car will take you away from all of it.

Trevor at fathouse performance is the maga guy that floods OS’s dreams. Worlds would collide

• Haha
Reactions: Indianaftw

My wife and I have had three Mazda's - a 3 and two CX-5s. Both the 3 and first CX-5 made it to 90k miles with no problems. Now we have a new CX5 and a Rav4 Hybrid but we're considering that new PHEV CX90 - it looks pretty nice for the price. Mazda's releasing a PHEV CX70 later this year as well and that will likely be our next vehicle. I do like the new Honda Pilot Trailsport too.

Also, most dealers outside of Toyota are willing to negotiate on price because of increased inventory. We went through that whole process a few months ago.

Trevor at fathouse performance is the maga guy that floods OS’s dreams. Worlds would collide
Trevor is a cool cat man. He's done work for me. When someone rolls into Shelby and they want more they send him to Trevor at Fathouse. They are building the new Shelby Code Red. Turn up the volume and check it, Bad Ass. The idle alone sounds wicked

I need an SUV.

Will you have room for all your bumper stickers on the back ?

C8 ZR1 gonna push to 8600 redline.

8600. On a V8. Whoa boy. Gonna sound amazing.

For reference, here's a POV on the 911 GT3 r/s. 9k redline.

When the vid cuts away, it's only b/c he's above 100

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT