ADVERTISEMENT

Homies, is there a good thread on electric vehicles on the site? Thinking about buying one this year and would love some opinions.

Hate hearing this Tommy. I remember you once heading out west to a superspreader event just for a chick. Might as well lop your pecker off and leave it in the glove box with your trade in for a CHEVY F*UCKING REVOLTING

P.S. you're in a rock band! Act like it!
I would still bet its blowing steam vs smoke check it out

I believe steam.

I got home from running errands and noticed as I pulled into the garage that steam was puffing out from under the hood. However the temperature was fine.

After she cooled I opened up the hood and checked but I didn't see anything like fluid and stuff, didn't feel any obvious holes on the hoses (but I'm not a car guy so I have no idea what I'm even looking for).

So I waited a day and then fired her up and let her idle for thirty minutes.

Noticed her temp gage was higher than normal so I revved her up and the temps started climbing.

Turned off the car and she really steamed/smoked up.

Figured it was time after an amazing run.

My gf sang hallelujah (she hated how I kept her alive all these years).

Do you think she's salvageable? The Google tells me when the car overheats it's all kinds of trouble (head gasket damage, pistons get all f#$ked up, etc)?

Thanks for the any advice!
Check your hoses! its a cheap fix

I believe steam.

I got home from running errands and noticed as I pulled into the garage that steam was puffing out from under the hood. However the temperature was fine.

After she cooled I opened up the hood and checked but I didn't see anything like fluid and stuff, didn't feel any obvious holes on the hoses (but I'm not a car guy so I have no idea what I'm even looking for).

Noticed her temp gage was higher than normal so I revved her up and the temps started climbing.

Do you think she's salvageable? The Google tells me when the car overheats it's all kinds of trouble (head gasket damage, pistons get all f#$ked up, etc)?

If it isn't burning oil, I'd look for a solution to what sounds like a cooling system problem. I'm cheap SOB though.

I believe steam.

Smell tells a lot and I have good access to advice vs paying from there! . Everything has its day Does it stink like oil or sweet antifreeze?

Like I said, I wish. I haven't gotten a dime yet. Can you imagine how rich I would be if they paid me to be one?
I could buy all the EV's I wanted!
and still be an a**hole...............everything has a price. Hope you are happy paying yours

Get it checked out. Unless there's white steam/smoke coming out the tailpipe, it's probably a (relatively) cheap fix unless you drove it way too long while the temp was pegged.

The calculus I always make is that it's essentially worth $0.00 AS IS; if you can spend $1000 on it to make it worth $2500, you're money ahead.

So I'm looking for a new vehicle and I've got my eye on a used Chevy Volt.
[...]
They are going for around $15k.

Interesting that it's priced relatively cheaply. Could be an indicator that the market for these is soft because of EV hesitancy rather than there being anything actually wrong with them.

Get it checked out. Unless there's white steam/smoke coming out the tailpipe, it's probably a (relatively) cheap fix unless you drove it way too long while the temp was pegged.

The calculus I always make is that it's essentially worth $0.00 AS IS; if you can spend $1000 on it to make it worth $2500, you're money ahead.
Its likely an easy fix but again paying vs doing your own on simple things on something old

You know with Mark and Cray on the scene, the job would get done, and done right
9FA8C474-D0FA-43EB-82FA-18D2F7F87A06-1024x768.jpeg

Last edited:
Its likely an easy fix but again paying vs doing your own on simple things on something old
She's starting to nickel and dime me over the past year. Alternator went out then the starter went out.

She's got some decent rust on her wheel wells. I've actually just spray painted it with a combo of black and grey Rust-Oleum spray paint (as the car is charcoal grey) and it blends pretty well.

So, the fact that she died after she got into my garage (it's currently -20 to -5 in Minnesota) makes me think that it might have been her final good deed and it's time to thank her for her service.

But if it's just some hoses....that's a lot cheaper than dropping $15k for a new vehicle, but now I have to f#$k with towing her into a service station and possibly towing her to her next destination if she died.

Interesting that it's priced relatively cheaply. Could be an indicator that the market for these is soft because of EV hesitancy rather than there being anything actually wrong with them.
Yeah supposedly there is a decent fear of batteries after 8 years, which is causing them to dip lower than they probably should.

Hate hearing this Tommy. I remember you once heading out west to a superspreader event just for a chick. Might as well lop your pecker off and leave it in the glove box with your trade in for a CHEVY F*UCKING REVOLTING

P.S. you're in a rock band! Act like it!
That got lopped off years ago.

Might as well confirm it.

The joke I liked was 'it's the 21st century which means it's more socially acceptable for a man to suck another's man's dick than for a man to own an electric vehicle'.

Nothing says rock and roll party than getting blown by groupies after a show (or between sets) in a Chevy Volt.

My argument with my gf has been 'this is a house money car' as she's paid for, cheap ass insurance and she's still fun to drive.

Would I rather pay $800 or $15,000?

She's starting to nickel and dime me over the past year. Alternator went out then the starter went out.

She's got some decent rust on her wheel wells. I've actually just spray painted it with a combo of black and grey Rust-Oleum spray paint (as the car is charcoal grey) and it blends pretty well.

So, the fact that she died after she got into my garage (it's currently -20 to -5 in Minnesota) makes me think that it might have been her final good deed and it's time to thank her for her service.

But if it's just some hoses....that's a lot cheaper than dropping $15k for a new vehicle, but now I have to f#$k with towing her into a service station and possibly towing her to her next destination if she died.
Its all kind of what to pay for. I have access to help and get your side. Mentioning where you are and cold Id still bet on a coolant issue.........put a gallon in

The radiator fan motor burning out will make it run hot and is a cheap fix, unless it was hot long enough to do engine damage. Happened to both my Pilot at 373,000 miles and my CRV at 180,000. Started running hot when idling.
That is a good check too, my F 150 is belt driven but an electric one can be a problem. Lots of easy checks including fuses .

Whatever, my stuff gets me to my destination just as fast, I keep my vehicles running safe and reliable . I dont get a status from a car I drive.
I was making another self-deprecating joke about my "contributions" to this thread, cray. I was not commenting on your posts, which were actually pretty helpful to Tommy, I'm sure.
Geesh...

Reactions: TommyCracker
My argument with my gf has been 'this is a house money car' as she's paid for, cheap ass insurance and she's still fun to drive.

Would I rather pay $800 or $15,000?
I drive junk but it's dependable junk,and I know enough to know what needs done when it breaks. I don't work on them myself anymore, but I don't let my mechanic do anything more than is necessary.

I believe steam.

Doubtful the 'gf' is salvageable at this point in time.

I think this is an interesting point anytime the electricity goes out.
What's your answer?
When California (or any state) turns off the
electricity, what then?
Another libroid scheme that is certain to fai

Jesus. Keep the car and drive it for another couple years. That 11K you think you'll be making will go right out the door on a new buy in this market.

You can buy new car smell in a spray can if you must.
Agree with Mark here. I work in a niche industry related to vehicle remarketing. Holy shit the last two years but the bubble is done formed up and it's gonna blow. Problem is that might not be for another 18 months. Which is BULLSHIT b/c I really want a new car. Hopefully the supply issues get sorted out which should help drive down both the new and used car prices. Repos will go back up as well in the not too distant future (we're hoping within the next 9 months) which will also help in the used market.

I drive junk but it's dependable junk,and I know enough to know what needs done when it breaks. I don't work on them myself anymore, but I don't let my mechanic do anything more than is necessary.
I am right there with you on this. I dont have bungee cords on bumpers or anything like that and keep up what I have but when I look at the cost of new vs what does the same thing for me so much cheaper ? No insurance, cheaper plates. I have liability of course but that is cheap. Gets me where I want to go, dont have to park and walk farther like a new BMW. Being handy and access to a workshop and advice helps I understand not for everyone. I know a guy that just got a new likely 65k pickup . He doesnt really use it because he is afraid to . I don't like the pressure LOL I use mine

A good place for this used car ad seen on Craig’s List.

“You want a car that gets the job done? You want a car that’s hassle free? You want a car that literally no one will ever compliment you on? Well look no further.

The 1999 Toyota Corolla.

Let’s talk about features.

Bluetooth: nope

Sunroof: nope

Fancy wheels: nope

Rear view camera: nope...but it’s got a transparent rear window and you have a ****ing neck that can turn.

Let me tell you a story. One day my Corolla started making a strange sound. I didn’t give a shit and ignored it. It went away. The End.

You could take the engine out of this car, drop it off the Golden Gate Bridge, fish it out of the water a thousand years later, put it in the trunk of the car, fill the gas tank up with Nutella, turn the key, and this puppy would ****ing start right up.

This car will outlive you, it will outlive your children.

Things this car is old enough to do:

Vote: yes

Consent to sex: yes

Rent a car: it IS a car

This car’s got history. It’s seen some shit. People have done straight things in this car. People have done gay things in this car. It’s not going to judge you like a ****ing Volkswagen would.

Interesting facts:

This car’s exterior color is gray, but it’s interior color is grey.

In the owner’s manual, oil is listed as “optional.”

When this car was unveiled at the 1998 Detroit Auto Show, it caused all 2,000 attendees to spontaneously yawn. The resulting abrupt change in air pressure inside the building caused a partial collapse of the roof. Four people died. The event is chronicled in the documentary “Bored to Death: The Story of the 1999 Toyota Corolla”

You wanna know more? Great, I had my car fill out a Facebook survey.

Favorite food: spaghetti

Favorite tv show: Alf

Favorite band: tie between Bush and the Gin Blossoms

This car is as practical as a Roth IRA. It’s as middle-of-the-road as your grandpa during his last Silver Alert. It’s as utilitarian as a member of a church whose scripture is based entirely on water bills.

When I ran the CarFax for this car, I got back a single piece of paper that said, “It’s a Corolla. It’s fine.”

Let’s face the facts, this car isn’t going to win any beauty contests, but neither are you. Stop lying to yourself and stop lying to your wife. This isn’t the car you want, it’s the car you deserve: The ****ing 1999 Toyota Corolla.”

A good place for this used car ad seen on Craig’s List.

“You want a car that gets the job done? You want a car that’s hassle free? You want a car that literally no one will ever compliment you on? Well look no further.

The 1999 Toyota Corolla.

Let’s talk about features.

Bluetooth: nope

Sunroof: nope

Fancy wheels: nope

Rear view camera: nope...but it’s got a transparent rear window and you have a ****ing neck that can turn.

Let me tell you a story. One day my Corolla started making a strange sound. I didn’t give a shit and ignored it. It went away. The End.

You could take the engine out of this car, drop it off the Golden Gate Bridge, fish it out of the water a thousand years later, put it in the trunk of the car, fill the gas tank up with Nutella, turn the key, and this puppy would ****ing start right up.

This car will outlive you, it will outlive your children.

Things this car is old enough to do:

Vote: yes

Consent to sex: yes

Rent a car: it IS a car

This car’s got history. It’s seen some shit. People have done straight things in this car. People have done gay things in this car. It’s not going to judge you like a ****ing Volkswagen would.

Interesting facts:

This car’s exterior color is gray, but it’s interior color is grey.

In the owner’s manual, oil is listed as “optional.”

When this car was unveiled at the 1998 Detroit Auto Show, it caused all 2,000 attendees to spontaneously yawn. The resulting abrupt change in air pressure inside the building caused a partial collapse of the roof. Four people died. The event is chronicled in the documentary “Bored to Death: The Story of the 1999 Toyota Corolla”

You wanna know more? Great, I had my car fill out a Facebook survey.

Favorite food: spaghetti

Favorite tv show: Alf

Favorite band: tie between Bush and the Gin Blossoms

This car is as practical as a Roth IRA. It’s as middle-of-the-road as your grandpa during his last Silver Alert. It’s as utilitarian as a member of a church whose scripture is based entirely on water bills.

When I ran the CarFax for this car, I got back a single piece of paper that said, “It’s a Corolla. It’s fine.”

Let’s face the facts, this car isn’t going to win any beauty contests, but neither are you. Stop lying to yourself and stop lying to your wife. This isn’t the car you want, it’s the car you deserve: The ****ing 1999 Toyota Corolla.”
Brilliant

I have a guy that picks at my 98 f150 where I did a bit of bondo and painted the 2 tone when I repainted the side a deer hit. Ive never hit a deer but one hit me took whole bedside out but didnt get cab or tailights. I didnt even know it when it happened. I stopped and looked in the dark at front and figured I hit a piece of firewood in the road. I tell him to leave it alone! i bought it new in 98, pd more than my house and only one that has driven it, 4.6 engine it will run forever it seems. I drive stuff as long as its safe til it dies .

Reactions: TommyCracker
Bottom line, EVs will become mainstream only when it's cheaper to drive one long term than a gas powered vehicle. Not because people are interested in virtual signaling to their elitist friends. That takes into account the cost of gas, the cost of battery replacement, the cost of having to stop and charge on a long trip, etc.
At this point, North Americans should be learning and doing everything possible to get off the power grids.

Solar, wind and wood used in home and rural applications is effective and safe. All three are renewable.

IF, the leftoids have their way, the entire Continent will enjoy the same situational rolling and emergency blackouts.

Imagine sitting in California , no power for days, as the grid is down, you and the wife watching the latest 'worst fire ever' bear down on you.....and oh wait, those two e-cars in the garage uncharged for days aren't going anywhere...

Or,

If twentyIQ per cent of those trapped for hours on I-95 were in e-cars, what would have been the result?

Reactions: Crayfish57
At this point, North Americans should be learning and doing everything possible to get off the power grids.

Solar, wind and wood used in home and rural applications is effective and safe. All three are renewable.

IF, the leftoids have their way, the entire Continent will enjoy the same situational rolling and emergency blackouts.

Imagine sitting in California , no power for days, as the grid is down, you and the wife watching the latest 'worst fire ever' bear down on you.....and oh wait, those two e-cars in the garage uncharged for days aren't going anywhere...

Or,

If twentyIQ per cent of those trapped for hours on I-95 were in e-cars, what would have been the result?
And don't forget those Jewish space-lasers! They're the worst!

This market is an apocalypse right now. I wouldn’t buy a car unless you absolutely have to right now. I’d take the car in for a service check. If the repairs make any financial sense, I’d go that route. Unfortunately there is no end in sight from what I’ve been told be a couple dealership folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411 and larsIU
This market is a apocalypse right now. I wouldn’t buy a car unless you absolutely have to right now. I’d take the car in for a service check. If the repairs make any financial sense, I’d go that route. Unfortunately there is no end in site from what I’ve been told be a couple dealership folks.
Dealerships (so I've heard) are raking it in if they have supply....if.

I wouldn't get an EV yet unless it is solely for commuting to work or going around town. I'm guessing in the next 10 years, EV options will be better and more plentiful. Plus, unless they figure out a way to swap batteries at gas stations or something, you will be limited in how far you can go.

If you go on road trips, then the only way an EV would be able to be the only vehicle would be if it could go 600+ miles on a charge and hotel and destinations had charging stations.

If I was looking for a new SUV, I would probably look at the hybrid options. Although I would likely be the perfect candidate for an EV since my vehicle is just used to commute to work and back.

Last edited:
I just bought a Kia Niro EV. Really like it so far. Range is close to 300 miles which is plenty for me. Full charge overnight.

My 2003 Honda Pilot with 373K miles is the gem of the faculty parking lot! Next to Teslas and Porches. Seriously, I drive 'em til they drop. 19 years, that's about 20K/year, less lately with kids gone and 'rona. So the half-million club in under 10 years, by which time I will be retired. I wish Honda made RVs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT