ADVERTISEMENT

We were not winning without X

I love TJD, he never hit a shot further than a FT in his career. Very hard to win that way in todays game. Turn the page, it is time.
Cav - with all due respect, I don’t care that TJD never hit beyond the free throw line. That was your main man Bates job - it’s time (for you) to turn the page for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Why? He has up to three years left and no one knows what will happen.
I don’t disagree completely - he has time and I think he could be a solid 6th man at some point but the constant posting and almost guaranteeing about how great he was going to be this year/now was way off base.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
There are a lot of things about X that are frustrating. Sometimes I'd like to wring his neck for the dumb things he does. But if you think IU wouldn't have been much better with him this year than without him, you either don't know much about basketball or, more likely, you are letting your bias get the best of your brain.

And no, he wouldn't get "ate up" by those guards. He is among the top guards in the country when it comes to "on-ball" defense. We struggled mightily in conference play and in the B!G tourney, as well as in the NCAAT against quick guards. X would have given us a much better chance against those teams.
One of the top gaurds in the country..?🤣
I'll revisit this next January.
I'd sent him backing a long time ago.

One of the top gaurds in the country..?🤣
I'll revisit this next January.
I'd sent him backing a long time ago.
Selective editing on the "top guard" sentence in my post is disingenuous and weak. Context is important if you want to be credible. Either that, or you have reading comprehension issues.

I'd simply ask these questions. How did we do without him? You don't think that losing streak at the start of conference play was in part due to XJ 's absence ? What kinds of teams did we struggle to beat this year and what was our most glaring issue against those teams ?

You certainly don't have to like him as a player, but regardless of what you think about his attitude, it's pretty dumb to think we were better without him. If you can find one respectable college ( or even high school) coach to agree with you on this, I'd be all ears. There's no way to know conclusively but all other things being equal, I'm of the opinion we win three more regular season conference games, make it to the B1G conference final game (and have a good shot at winning it) and make the Sweet Sixteen with a healthy X.

Cav - with all due respect, I don’t care that TJD never hit beyond the free throw line. That was your main man Bates job - it’s time (for you) to turn the page for sure!
We also had JHS who could be deadly in the 10-12 foot range

X isn't perfect but he brought certain hard to find qualities to the team.

Defense took a dive in efficiency after he went down going from 10/20 range to the 40s. His on ball defense, which is the tip of the spear of IU's D, was truly missed. He really heats to ball up ... and containing ballhandlers was a huge issue for IU all year.

Anyone saying we were better without him, is basically basketball ignorant and a student of Dunning Kruger basketball theory.

He also had the ability to penetrate defenses at will, and draw fouls from dribble penetration. No one else on the team could do that near as well.
X also had better chemistry with TJD, far better. he didn't throw lobs into the stands. It would have given IU more options, more plays, more bodies..

He has flaws, but he also has some glaring strengths. Managed correctly, he's easily a net positive.
I was interested to see X play with Jalen. X was forced to run the show but defer to him on offense. He appeared to understand that early on and it would have become more obvious as time passed.

Depending on him to score is a recipe for disaster IMO. He’s not that guy if you plan on winning. His strength is playing a role on a good team. This showed when IU got embarrassed vs the good teams they played. (non B1G)

Is he going to be 25 next year? The book is out… this all depends on who IU has around him. If he comes out in wannabe Iverson 2.0 mode it will be ugly.

All things considered, saying “IU is not winning without X” (future) is fanboy nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT