ADVERTISEMENT

We have a new Senator in Arizona!

Circlejoe

All-Big Ten
Sep 26, 2001
Governor Ducey appointed McSally to fill McCain's seat. There was a lot of speculation that Ducey might go in a different direction even though Republican leadership wanted McSally. McSally tied herself closely to Trump during her recent loss to Sinema. We'll see if that hurts her in the 2020 special election. Looks like she'll be facing Grant Woods in 2020 and that will be a challenging campaign. Woods served as the Arizona Attorney General from 1991-1999 and was the Chief of Staff for McCain. He switched to the Democratic Party in 2018 and endorsed Clinton. He's on the record as saying Trump is unqualified to be POTUS. Woods will have the support of McCain's family and supporters in addition to Democratic voters.

Arizona could very well have two Senators from the Democratic Party in two years. That's would be an amazing turnaround.

Thanks Trump!

Governor Ducey appointed McSally to fill McCain's seat. There was a lot of speculation that Ducey might go in a different direction even though Republican leadership wanted McSally. McSally tied herself closely to Trump during her recent loss to Sinema. We'll see if that hurts her in the 2020 special election. Looks like she'll be facing Grant Woods in 2020 and that will be a challenging campaign. Woods served as the Arizona Attorney General from 1991-1999 and was the Chief of Staff for McCain. He switched to the Democratic Party in 2018 and endorsed Clinton. He's on the record as saying Trump is unqualified to be POTUS. Woods will have the support of McCain's family and supporters in addition to Democratic voters.

Arizona could very well have two Senators from the Democratic Party in two years. That's would be an amazing turnaround.

Thanks Trump!
I followed her a little bit because she was in the Air Force and I remember her lawsuit against the Defense Department. She had a good reputation as an Air Force officer and according to Wikipedia she has a reputation as a moderate. The Lugar Center rated as the 30th most bipartisan person in Congress. She showed a lot of guts when she sued the Defense Department as a Major over the requirement to wear an abaya off base in Saudi Arabia. I like the way she didn't follow Trump's lead and claim voter fraud in the Senate race for a close loss. What I've read about her doesn't make her much of a Trumper. I think she's going to be hard to beat. She's the kind of Pub we Democrats should prefer if we have to live with a Pub Senator somewhere.

I followed her a little bit because she was in the Air Force and I remember her lawsuit against the Defense Department. She had a good reputation as an Air Force officer and according to Wikipedia she has a reputation as a moderate. The Lugar Center rated as the 30th most bipartisan person in Congress. She showed a lot of guts when she sued the Defense Department as a Major over the requirement to wear an abaya off base in Saudi Arabia. I like the way she didn't follow Trump's lead and claim voter fraud in the Senate race for a close loss. What I've read about her doesn't make her much of a Trumper. I think she's going to be hard to beat. She's the kind of Pub we Democrats should prefer if we have to live with a Pub Senator somewhere.

Statewide news coverage is much different. McSally went far right in the campaign against Sinema, hugging Trump (Caravans!) and accusing Sinema of treason which became a very embarrassing incident. In addition, McSally took the side of Trump in the feud with McCain which her staff's own analysis said hurt her in the election. McSally was a bit more moderate as a congresswoman before she started her run for Senate. She had to go against hard-right opponents in the primary which pushed her right, but she took it way too far. McSally may be someone who jumped on a ship that's started to sink. Grant Woods did an interview today and said her appointment makes it even more likely that he'll run in 2020. He'll be tough to beat. He won his last election for Attorney General with more than 80% of the vote.

Statewide news coverage is much different. McSally went far right in the campaign against Sinema, hugging Trump (Caravans!) and accusing Sinema of treason which became a very embarrassing incident. In addition, McSally took the side of Trump in the feud with McCain which her staff's own analysis said hurt her in the election. McSally was a bit more moderate as a congresswoman before she started her run for Senate. She had to go against hard-right opponents in the primary which pushed her right, but she took it way too far. McSally may be someone who jumped on a ship that's started to sink. Grant Woods did an interview today and said her appointment makes it even more likely that he'll run in 2020. He'll be tough to beat. He won his last election for Attorney General with more than 80% of the vote.
I'll be hoping for the Democrat to win but I don't vote in Arizona so I can't vote for him or her. I was only talking about what I read and heard about her and based on that there are far worse Republicans in the Senate than her. I definitely have not seen her as close to Trump but maybe she thought she needed to get closer to win Arizona. She is a f***ing politician! :mad: She does at least have a record of being bipartisan which is much better then the my way or the highway Republicans.

She squeezed Trumps butt in the election. She had to in order to win the primary, but never ventured back to the middle. That's 30th ranking is from the 114th Congress, not 115th. I believe she has dropped significantly.

At for the lawsuit, it sounds a bit complex, but basically she didn't want to wear an Abaya inside Saudi Arabia? She may have won on the legal grounds, but that sounds like an incredibly wretched lawsuit from the standpoint of respecting the cultural environment you are deployed in.

Reactions: DrHoops
I'll be hoping for the Democrat to win but I don't vote in Arizona so I can't vote for him or her. I was only talking about what I read and heard about her and based on that there are far worse Republicans in the Senate than her. I definitely have not seen her as close to Trump but maybe she thought she needed to get closer to win Arizona. She is a f***ing politician! :mad: She does at least have a record of being bipartisan which is much better then the my way or the highway Republicans.

No I get it from those outside Arizona. Inside the state, McSally pissed of a lot of Republicans because she disrespected McCain. That will haunt her in 2020. Especially if Woods runs because he’ll have the McCain Family backing.

One of the big reasons McSally was selected is that she has been able to raise money and with a special election in 2020 and regular election in 2022, the candidates will need to raise a sh!tload of $$$$$.

Reactions: MrBing
I totally agree with this. I remember this lawsuit as well. I don't have much respect for Saudi Arabia in general,, but if you're going to be off base, you abide by their rules, just like you abide by all their local laws...speed limits, etc. Should someone sue to stroll down the street with a bottle of vodka in their hand in Saudi Arabia too if it that's their PERSONAL belief? I thought she seemed pretty awful...but that's just me.

How anyone could vote to give Trump more power is beyond embarrassing.

She squeezed Trumps butt in the election. She had to in order to win the primary, but never ventured back to the middle. That's 30th ranking is from the 114th Congress, not 115th. I believe she has dropped significantly.

At for the lawsuit, it sounds a bit complex, but basically she didn't want to wear an Abaya inside Saudi Arabia? She may have won on the legal grounds, but that sounds like an incredibly wretched lawsuit from the standpoint of respecting the cultural environment you are deployed in.

I totally agree with this. I remember this lawsuit as well. I don't have much respect for Saudi Arabia in general,, but if you're going to be off base, you abide by their rules, just like you abide by all their local laws...speed limits, etc. Should someone sue to stroll down the street with a bottle of vodka in their hand in Saudi Arabia too if it that's their PERSONAL belief? I thought she seemed pretty awful...but that's just me.

How anyone could vote to give Trump more power is beyond embarrassing.

Right, because a dude having the right to drink in public is totally the same as an American woman having the right to not be forced to wear clothing specifically designed to oppress women. Great analogy.

Reactions: Tacoll and MrBing
It's not her country, so she (or any American) doesn't make the rules. Abide by the local laws or don't leave the base.

Whether the laws are oppressive or not isn't her decision.

Right, because a dude having the right to drink in public is totally the same as an American woman having the right to not be forced to wear clothing specifically designed to oppress women. Great analogy.

I remember the lawsuit, but didn’t remember she was the one that brought it. I didn’t agree with it at the time and thought she should either stay on base or respect the cultural norms of the country she was stationed in. Of course there are limits to that, but I didn’t think dress was past that limit. Frankly, I thought the woman behind that lawsuit was a bit of a radical feminist liberal at the time and it surprises me that that woman turned out to be a Republican and a Republican member of Congress.

Reactions: MrBing
It's not her country, so she (or any American) doesn't make the rules. Abide by the local laws or don't leave the base.

Whether the laws are oppressive or not isn't her decision.
I remember the lawsuit, but didn’t remember she was the one that brought it. I didn’t agree with it at the time and thought she should either stay on base or respect the cultural norms of the country she was stationed in. Of course there are limits to that, but I didn’t think dress was past that limit. Frankly, I thought the woman behind that lawsuit was a bit of a radical feminist liberal at the time and it surprises me that that woman turned out to be a Republican and a Republican member of Congress.

Her suit had nothing to do with Saudi laws. She sued the DOD for an unconditional policy. She was right. Does anyone besides me think it is weird that in a country where she couldn't operate an automobile and had to be accompanied by a man while off base, that she flew combat aircraft, solo, off base, in defense of said country? She, and the Air Force, violated the laws and customs of the host country just by her being stationed there.

It doesn't matter what you think is or isn't weird.

Her suit had nothing to do with Saudi laws. She sued the DOD for an unconditional policy. She was right. Does anyone besides me think it is weird that in a country where she couldn't operate an automobile and had to be accompanied by a man while off base, that she flew combat aircraft, solo, off base, in defense of said country? She, and the Air Force, violated the laws and customs of the host country just by her being stationed there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT