ADVERTISEMENT

2024 thoughts

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
I DESPISE the fact that currently our 3 most likely candidates are Biden, Harris, and Trump. Some further rambling thoughts and questions.

-I can’t envision Biden being capable of running again. Further, I can’t see him escaping this Afghanistan debacle politically. So odds are pretty good that Harris is gonna lead the ticket in my opinion. Heck, the DNC might have already made their decision. My guess is Harris stays very far away from this. She’ll probably be front and center with cleanup efforts in Louisiana these next few weeks. She’ll become more active it Covid stuff too.

-Speaking of Harris, despite being both a female, and a minority, she doesn’t seem to excite or energize the two HUGE driving forces in successful Democratic National election bids…women and minorities. I can envision one catalyst to light those groups on fire…Donald J Trump. I think any form of a controlled, heck even contrite Trump, could beat Harris. But in reality, he’d last…1 week maybe…into an election against her before saying something that shoves a lightning rod up those demographics asses. And in the end, while his base will turn out in huge numbers against someone so openly different from them, in Harris. I think the hed produce such an astonishingly huge number of voters on the other side, that he’d lose handily.

-If Trump doesn’t run though…what gives the RNC the best chance to win? Trump 2.0? Someone that will tap into the energy Trump creates with controversial words. Same risk as above by energizing the opponents base as much or more than your own. Or can they win with someone like Kasich? Voter turnouts are lower probably. Many will think it’s a “boring” race. Republicans seem bent on suppressing votes. Why not nominate a candidate that will do that? For what it’s worth, I think someone like Kasich would be MILES better than the 3 most likely candidates. Better as a President. But also just better for the soul of our country. I’m sure he’s done running at this point. Just using him as an example. Not sure who an applicable 24 candidate would be.

-is the Republican Party ready for someone like Tim Scott? Or even Candace Owens? How much base would that immediately hack off? Would it make their tent bigger?

Not to sound too dramatic. But I’m really worried about the trajectory of our country right now. Our last two presidents are quite possibly the worst in our country’s history. Or could be 3 years from now if this one doesn’t pick it up a bit. And man…a Harris presidency scares me. I don’t think she’d be a very good President first of all. And while I think a minority, woman, President would be a great step for our country…I think this particular one would deepen the already canyon like divide we’re seeing. And that isn’t good.

Why can’t a good moderate be nominated? And/or win? From either side. When it’s sooo obvious that’s what we need?

Trump will be the Pub candidate in 2024. Trump will have an excellent opportunity to win the 2024 election. The Biden fiasco should keep the democrats out of the WH.
Lord I hope not... I wish he would just disappear....into the sunset, sunrise, anywhere... just disappear. But he's not intelligent enough to do that.

I DESPISE the fact that currently our 3 most likely candidates are Biden, Harris, and Trump. Some further rambling thoughts and questions.

-I can’t envision Biden being capable of running again. Further, I can’t see him escaping this Afghanistan debacle politically. So odds are pretty good that Harris is gonna lead the ticket in my opinion. Heck, the DNC might have already made their decision. My guess is Harris stays very far away from this. She’ll probably be front and center with cleanup efforts in Louisiana these next few weeks. She’ll become more active it Covid stuff too.

-Speaking of Harris, despite being both a female, and a minority, she doesn’t seem to excite or energize the two HUGE driving forces in successful Democratic National election bids…women and minorities. I can envision one catalyst to light those groups on fire…Donald J Trump. I think any form of a controlled, heck even contrite Trump, could beat Harris. But in reality, he’d last…1 week maybe…into an election against her before saying something that shoves a lightning rod up those demographics asses. And in the end, while his base will turn out in huge numbers against someone so openly different from them, in Harris. I think the hed produce such an astonishingly huge number of voters on the other side, that he’d lose handily.

-If Trump doesn’t run though…what gives the RNC the best chance to win? Trump 2.0? Someone that will tap into the energy Trump creates with controversial words. Same risk as above by energizing the opponents base as much or more than your own. Or can they win with someone like Kasich? Voter turnouts are lower probably. Many will think it’s a “boring” race. Republicans seem bent on suppressing votes. Why not nominate a candidate that will do that? For what it’s worth, I think someone like Kasich would be MILES better than the 3 most likely candidates. Better as a President. But also just better for the soul of our country. I’m sure he’s done running at this point. Just using him as an example. Not sure who an applicable 24 candidate would be.

-is the Republican Party ready for someone like Tim Scott? Or even Candace Owens? How much base would that immediately hack off? Would it make their tent bigger?

Not to sound too dramatic. But I’m really worried about the trajectory of our country right now. Our last two presidents are quite possibly the worst in our country’s history. Or could be 3 years from now if this one doesn’t pick it up a bit. And man…a Harris presidency scares me. I don’t think she’d be a very good President first of all. And while I think a minority, woman, President would be a great step for our country…I think this particular one would deepen the already canyon like divide we’re seeing. And that isn’t good.

Why can’t a good moderate be nominated? And/or win? From either side. When it’s sooo obvious that’s what we need?

Part of it is because the smart people in this country have no interest in running for public office and having their personal lives smeared all over the internet.

I go back to my consistent commentary about how unimpressive Congressmen are that I've had the displeasure of meeting. These people are basically Tony Robbins or Joel Osteen in a modified context.

Part of it is because the smart people in this country have no interest in running for public office and having their personal lives smeared all over the internet.

I go back to my consistent commentary about how unimpressive Congressmen are that I've had the displeasure of meeting. These people are basically Tony Robbins or Joel Osteen in a modified context.
I’ve met this man multiple times. You might disagree with some of his social beliefs but he’s impressive.

He’s tried to work with democrats and it’s always dead on arrival no matter the issue.

• Haha
Reactions: mike41703

The Bay of Pigs didn't have long term political consequences for Kennedy. The fall of Saigon wasn't the reason Ford lost in '76. The bombing in Beirut that killed 241 US service members in 1983 (Reagan had sent troops to Lebanon earlier that year) didn't preclude Reagan's reelection. Similarly, the Afghanistan debacle doesn't mark the end of Biden's career. His age will. He turns 82 in 2024. I'm sure he ran in 2020 intending for that to be his final political campaign.

Harris's nomination in 2024 is not a fait accompli. She'll have competition in the primaries. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pete Buttigieg, Cory Booker, Seth Moulton or even Conor Lamb (if he wins the Senate seat in Pennsylvania) make serious bids for the nomination.

I can't believe the Republican Party would be foolish enough to nominate two-time popular vote loser Trump (who will be pushing 80 himself) again. I think it's likely DeSantis will be the nominee.

The Bay of Pigs didn't have long term political consequences for Kennedy. The fall of Saigon wasn't the reason Ford lost in '76. The bombing in Beirut that killed 241 US service members in 1983 (Reagan had sent troops to Lebanon earlier that year) didn't preclude Reagan's reelection. Similarly, the Afghanistan debacle doesn't mark the end of Biden's career. His age will. He turns 82 in 2024. I'm sure he ran in 2020 intending for that to be his final political campaign.

Harris's nomination in 2024 is not a fait accompli. She'll have serious competition in the primaries. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pete Buttigieg, Cory Booker, Seth Moulton or even Conor Lamb (if he wins the Senate seat in Pennsylvania) make serious bids for the nomination.

I can't believe the Republican Party would be foolish enough to nominate two-time popular vote loser Trump (who will be pushing 80 himself) again. I think it's likely DeSantis will be the nominee.
Oh please, God, let the Democrats run Cory Booker or Pete Bootyjudge.

Unless something extremely unlikely happens the Republican nominee will be Trump or DeSantis.
Agreed. I wonder how DeSantis would govern? Would he feel empowered by the office to be more of his own man? Or would he still be under Trumps thumb?

Trump will be the Pub candidate in 2024. Trump will have an excellent opportunity to win the 2024 election. The Biden fiasco should keep the democrats out of the WH.
Trumps base gives him a “chance” to win any election. And Biden’s remaining presidency will determine how much more legit a chance he’d have. If Harris can remain relatively unscathed the next few years. And/or if they start to distance her from Biden…I put Trumps odds at even lower to beat her than they were to beat Biden.

And Trump is probably one of the few people on the planet I wouldn’t want to beat her, for what it’s worth.

I've never actually thought Biden would run for a second term. IIRC the idea of him NOT running for a second term had been loosely discussed/floated out there during the campaign, but I might be wrong about that.

I think Trump really wants to be the nominee in 2024 and will do everything in his power to put himself in that place. For some reason I think DeSantis will be the talked about potential nominee for awhile, but the primaries will bring about someone who is currently under the radar. I have no idea who that is though, and I'm mainly going on my gut here.

Having said that, reverting back to Trump wouldn't be a good thing for the country. Similarly, I hope I'm right in remembering that Biden isn't going to run again. Neither are the leader the country needs in the foreseeable future.

Harris's nomination in 2024 is not a fait accompli. She'll have competition in the primaries. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pete Buttigieg, Cory Booker, Seth Moulton or even Conor Lamb (if he wins the Senate seat in Pennsylvania) make serious bids for the nomination.

Different times on all those fumbles you mentioned. The Trump machine won’t allow this Afghan mistake to go away.

Biden could, of course, take the Trump approach and keep saying and doing new “worst things in Presidential history”, over and over again, so this Afghan chit show gets pushed to the back pages???

How close Harris aligns herself with the obvious fading Biden, will be very interesting to watch.

There’s gotta be one, somewhere?!

Unfortunately we need 2-3, on each side. One candidate will be chewed up and spit out by the loudest, most extreme parts of each party. If you have multiple to choose from, better chance one of them avoids the cancel culture stuff and gains a foothold.

I've never actually thought Biden would run for a second term. IIRC the idea of him NOT running for a second term had been loosely discussed/floated out there during the campaign, but I might be wrong about that.

I think Trump really wants to be the nominee in 2024 and will do everything in his power to put himself in that place. For some reason I think DeSantis will be the talked about potential nominee for awhile, but the primaries will bring about someone who is currently under the radar. I have no idea who that is though, and I'm mainly going on my gut here.

Having said that, reverting back to Trump wouldn't be a good thing for the country. Similarly, I hope I'm right in remembering that Biden isn't going to run again. Neither are the leader the country needs in the foreseeable future.
If Trump ends up really wanting it, how could it be anyone else?

I’d put the odds greater that Biden doesn’t finish his 1st term out, than him running for 2nd term, at this point.

Harris checks A LOT of boxes for the Democrats. She just isn’t all that likeable. I’d be very surprised, at this point, if it’s not Trump vs Harris.

Different times on all those fumbles you mentioned. The Trump machine won’t allow this Afghan mistake to go away.

Biden could, of course, take the Trump approach and keep saying and doing new “worst things in Presidential history”, over and over again, so this Afghan chit show gets pushed to the back pages???

How close Harris aligns herself with the obvious fading Biden, will be very interesting to watch.
Different times but the same dynamic. The focus will shift to new headlines. There will be more crises. Three years is an eternity in politics.

That said, it's a moot point because I think there's little chance Biden runs for reelection and, as I said earlier, it won't be because of Afghanistan.

Reactions: Bill4411

Conor Lamb is on the radar and would be just 40 years old in 2024. Certainly in line with popular Dem presidential candidates of the past (Kennedy/Clinton/Obama all in their 40's). The progressives are rowdy but few in number. Lamb would pick up the center.

Plus if DeSantis runs against Lamb, both having been in the legal area in the service, the race could be called a JAG-off.

Ok I'm done.

I’d put the odds greater that Biden doesn’t finish his 1st term out, than him running for 2nd term, at this point.

Harris checks A LOT of boxes for the Democrats. She just isn’t all that likeable. I’d be very surprised, at this point, if it’s not Trump vs Harris.

Trump would have to get through a primary again. And it wouldn't be a layup. There are a lot of normal Republican voters that want to turn the page. Going back to a general election loser for another nomination is something that is exceedingly rare.

Reactions: Indyhorn

I honestly don't know about Trump - a lot can change in 2 years.

I saw the booing at his rally over telling people to get vaccinated as a crack in his armor, but I could be wrong about that. I feel like he's probably more vulnerable in 2024 as his age will be more of a factor. I'm also naively hoping half the country wakes up and realizes he's an idiot and there are better candidates out there.

I honestly don't know about Trump - a lot can change in 2 years.

I saw the booing at his rally over telling people to get vaccinated as a crack in his armor, but I could be wrong about that. I feel like he's probably more vulnerable in 2024 as his age will be more of a factor. I'm also naively hoping half the country wakes up and realizes he's an idiot and there are better candidates out there.
There are no less than 74.2 million idiots out there. Don’t get your hopes up. Well, thanks to ivermectin, HCQ and being too much of a pussy to wear a mask or get a shot, there might be a little less than 74.2 million, but there’s still a lot.

Everyone knows you're the "Bootyjudge", Jeffrey Dankstein. It's funny how you try to disparage a guy in a long-term committed relationship, while you have to pay your dentist $20 to get barely legals to lay on top of you.
They really let their colors shine with the hatred of Pete don't they.

Reactions: TommyCracker
If republicans were smart they would somehow force Trump into a figure head role and elevate Desantis or even Abbot from Texas. Those 2 have a great shot of both carrying the Trump party and traditional GOP voters. Dems would have a tough time countering.

Dems best chance is Trump.

If republicans were smart they would somehow force Trump into a figure head role and elevate Desantis or even Abbot from Texas. Those 2 have a great shot of both carrying the Trump party and traditional GOP voters. Dems would have a tough time countering.

Dems best chance is Trump.
what's a figure head role?

Lol.... yeah right. He has no use for anyone but himself.
Haha. I know. I didnt say it was going to happen.

What I actually foresee is Trump running against Desantis in a primary and completely destroying him. He'll make fun of his wife and family. Give him some degrading nickname. And just completely beat him down.

Trump would have to get through a primary again. And it wouldn't be a layup. There are a lot of normal Republican voters that want to turn the page. Going back to a general election loser for another nomination is something that is exceedingly rare.
In your dreams.

I got news for you: 74 'normal Republicans' voted for Trump for President despite the efforts of the deep state, FBI and CIA, and the media.

He'd easily breeze through the primaries, if he wants to run again.

If Biden doesn’t run, then the Dems 2024 primary becomes relevant and Harris did very poorly in the 2020 primary. What makes you think she’ll be the nominee?

In your dreams.

I got news for you: 74 'normal Republicans' voted for Trump for President despite the efforts of the deep state, FBI and CIA, and the media.

He'd easily breeze through the primaries, if he wants to run again.
Then that’s a big problem for you in the general election. Outside of the republicans who will make him the nominee the rest of America is sick of his shit.

Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT