ADVERTISEMENT

Very Fair Article on Woodson Hire- Not good

Doubt this guy writing the article has any critical thinking skills. Guys he coached in the NBA frequently were 20 year-olds that just came into a boatload of money and had egos the size of the solar system. I think Mike will be do fine with kids who realize that Mike has both cred and gravitas, which most college coaches do not have. Plus, an NBA offense will be a system most high school kids will want to play in (no more recruiting losses of guys like Trey Kaufman).

Reactions: 76-1 and UncleMark
We have no idea what will happen with this experiment, but for the life of me I somehow doubt that Woody would even sniff an interview at any elite program.
Maybe so. How many interviews did Juwan Howard get with elite programs before he got hired at his alma mater?

Reactions: 76-1
Doubt this guy writing the article has any critical thinking skills. Guys he coached in the NBA frequently were 20 year-olds that just came into a boatload of money and had egos the size of the solar system. I think Mike will be do fine with kids who realize that Mike has both cred and gravitas, which most college coaches do not have. Plus, an NBA offense will be a system most high school kids will want to play in (no more recruiting losses of guys like Trey Kaufman).
Speaking of Trey. Gotta think that PU former asst coach Shrewsbury had a lot to do with Trey choosing PU. He was a Stevens NBA sidekick and he ran the offense for Painter. Too bad for Trey that he left for Penn State.

Reactions: GThomas and 76-1
Woodson is way way too old. You clowns will see. Who in the hell are going to be his assistants? Nobody is leaving (Lewis, Fife, etc). Matta is not a bench coach. He’s in an admin position. He won’t be recruiting
Dude, you need to change your moniker to Chicken Little. You're making me paranoid about going outside.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything that’s been projected about Indiana basketball for the past 20 years has been wrong. I’m not gonna jump to any conclusions just yet. Might actually wait for next season to play out and perhaps the one after that.

Reactions: Al Bino
Would be willing to bet all of the fanbois cheered just as loud for Sampson, Crean and Miller, and ripped into anyone with a different opinion. That’s what screeching fanbois do. Their views on basketball count for very little. That said, loved Woody as a player and hope this works out. It’s certainly a bit of a risk, but it would be great if he had success.

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta
Would be willing to bet all of the fanbois cheered just as loud for Sampson, Crean and Miller, and ripped into anyone with a different opinion. That’s what screeching fanbois do. Their views on basketball count for very little. That said, loved Woody as a player and hope this works out. It’s certainly a bit of a risk, but it would be great if he had success.
That’s why they call them fans. Fans have hope for the team they love.
Not a member of The Optimists’ Club are you. Bet you are a riot at a party.

Can you imagine all the bullshit those primadonna ball players in the NBA bring to the game? According to this, every fast food branch manager or parent has at least one pillar covered... ****ing moronic

Just bc theyre bringing it, doesnt mean theyre getting it from coaches.
And zero NBA coaches with his extensive resume would take a 2nd look at the IU job.

I dont think you genuinely believe this at all. But just to play pretend, if that were the case youd only be making an argument on how much this isnt a right fit....

This is a fair article, despite the clickbait author. If any other big program made a similar hire, this board would be mocking it. Don’t pretend otherwise.

Reactions: hoosier_est_1984
Just bc theyre bringing it, doesnt mean theyre getting it from coaches.

I dont think you genuinely believe this at all. But just to play pretend, if that were the case youd only be making an argument on how much this isnt a right fit....
First of all. You don’t know me, and I write what I think. Pretty simple concept for most. And yeah, I would guess you “play pretend” a lot.
What it makes an argument for, is that IU made a great hire.

I hate this hire! 6 years? Should have been 3 years max? I smell another buyout

Shows how much IU has come a custom to blowing boosters money bc it isnt theirs.
Its really disrespectful and at some point im sure that ppl whom are highly successful are def the ppl who know when to eventually say "NO"

This is a fair article, despite the clickbait author. If any other big program made a similar hire, this board would be mocking it. Don’t pretend otherwise.
Juwan Howard had a less impressive resume as a coach. I never mocked it. Thought it is a risk, but worth a shot. My UM friend was really uncertain and surprised by it. But we both agreed it could turn out well. Now there is still a lot that could go wrong, but so far it has worked out. It’s the same with almost every coaching hire.

First of all. You don’t know me, and I write what I think.

Then youre an idiot if you really believe that... Re-read what I said in its entirety.
Keep rereading and rereading it and maybe youll get it...Your statement would then be a complete contradiction on being a good fit.

Juwan Howard had a less impressive resume as a coach. I never mocked it. Thought it is a risk, but worth a shot. My UM friend was really uncertain and surprised by it. But we both agreed it could turn out well. Now there is still a lot that could go wrong, but so far it has worked out. It’s the same with almost every coaching hire.
No doubt Howard has been impressive in the short-term. We’ll see how it plays out long term.

I guess Woodson-Matta could get IU into the top half of the Big Ten, but at best this seems like a short term stepping stone.

Hard to get excited about the future of IU basketball, unless you’re a Purdue or Kentucky fan who are loving this.

Then youre an idiot if you really believe that... Re-read what I said in its entirety.
Keep rereading and rereading it and maybe youll get it...Your statement would then be a complete contradiction on being a good fit.
Logic obviously isn’t your strong suit. I’m sorry. Must have been tough on your family when you were trying to get through school.

Here's proof that I did more research about Woodson than Wolken did when writing his article. Wolken questioned whether Woodson would be able to build relationships with players, when that is literally the thing he is most beloved for by his former players.

You can't make this stuff up with some of these "national media" guys.

Reactions: 76-1
The article has valid and fair points, but at the end of the day, this article as well as any you read supporting the hire, are conjecture. I think Woodson will be able to pull a lot, if not all of the kids back from the portal which has to be viewed as a positive. Then he gets the normal "2 year free pass" where sucking is excusable and winning makes the future look bright. He is definitely not the "home run hire" some people here were clamoring for, but I think it is all 50/50 anyway with any of these hires. NBA connections are increasingly important talking points with top recruits so that is a positive.

Here's proof that I did more research about Woodson than Wolken did when writing his article. Wolken questioned whether Woodson would be able to build relationships with players, when that is literally the thing he is most beloved for by his former players.

You can't make this stuff up with some of these "national media" guys.

I think he questioned whether he would be able to relate to college players who have their parents call the head coach when they aren't getting enough playing time vs. professional players. (there's a reason some guys like Brad Stevens don't want to go back to the college game, kissing players asses and recruiting is one of them). That being said, I don't think that will be an issue from Woodson.

I hate this hire! 6 years? Should have been 3 years max? I smell another buyout

3 years? you want to handicap him before he even starts? It would hurt recruiting showing so little faith in the coach that the school wouldn't try to convince them that their coach would be here the entire time they were going through college.

Guy loved the Miller hire. Most of these guys writing stories don't know squat about what it takes to succeed at coaching. How about we let Woodson do his job and see how it goes..

Reactions: .Gerdis
I think he questioned whether he would be able to relate to college players who have their parents call the head coach when they aren't getting enough playing time vs. professional players. (there's a reason some guys like Brad Stevens don't want to go back to the college game, kissing players asses and recruiting is one of them). That being said, I don't think that will be an issue from Woodson.
Knight used to recruit players whose parents didn't view them as their future meal tickets. The parents were more concerned about the kids' educations and overall well being than their NBA aspirations. That would be refreshing to see.

Mike Davis was successful for a couple of years too. Taking over a successful program is a different story than our current situation...

Woodson is way way too old. You clowns will see. Who in the hell are going to be his assistants? Nobody is leaving (Lewis, Fife, etc). Matta is not a bench coach. He’s in an admin position. He won’t be recruiting
You have NO idea what TM will be doing...NONE...ZERO. Your posts here have made you look either childish or a PU fan.

Take a few plays off.

That’s why they call them fans. Fans have hope for the team they love.
Not a member of The Optimists’ Club are you. Bet you are a riot at a party.
“Fans“ are different than “fanbois”. Everyone here is a “fan”. But some are also “fanbois”. Like anything in life, it helps if you understand the nuances.

“Fans“ are different than “fanbois”. Everyone here is a “fan”. But some are also “fanbois”. Like anything in life, it helps if you understand the nuances.
I am fine with optimistic, glass half full fans. It's when they start preaching at others that creates issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Knight used to recruit players whose parents didn't view them as their future meal tickets. The parents were more concerned about the kids' educations and overall well being than their NBA aspirations. That would be refreshing to see.

I agree, but you won't find that thinking common amongst top recruits these days unfortunately. Top recruit's parents expect their kid to be showcased and get the minutes that will get them into the NBA draft. And we all know parenting itself is different then back then, "self-esteem"/"you are special" parents have replaced "go earn yourself something special" parents.

What college coach worth his salt is going to be fielding phone calls from disgruntled mommies and daddies? Did I really just read that in the article cited as one of the obligations of a modern college coach? Give me a ****ing break. Wolken must be a moron...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT