ADVERTISEMENT

IU Indiana basketball's Malik Reneau silent on future plans after Big Ten tourney exit

MR is needed back…he needs to become more bouncy and get off the floor. Strength training is his biggest need.
Ehh...unless he's never worked on those things before now, that's a tough one to change at this point in his life/career. And we know he worked his ass off last off season to transform his body.

He just needs to learn how to play the game of basketball...better. Time and situation. Basic positioning. Recognizing and reading defenses, and then making the right plays.

He needs someone to teach him these things. If Woody is the one that taught TJD these things in his two years with him, he needs to dust off those lessen books and teach Malik those things as well.

Or he could make it easy on himself and hire an assistant coach that has proven an ability to teach the game.

I know its gloomy right now...but I honestly think if we could return Malik, Mack, Trey, Gabe, Jakai, Anthony...add a couple good starter level players in the portal AND...AND...find an assistant coach that could teach all these guys some of the most basic basketball game play stuff... even with Woody's shortcomings, we could turn things around and have a pretty good year next year.

Woody can't do it without coaching help though, I'm convinced of that. We won't have guys the caliber or TJD and JHS on our roster next year.

Reactions: kkott
Ehh...unless he's never worked on those things before now, that's a tough one to change at this point in his life/career. And we know he worked his ass off last off season to transform his body.

He just needs to learn how to play the game of basketball...better. Time and situation. Basic positioning. Recognizing and reading defenses, and then making the right plays.

He needs someone to teach him these things. If Woody is the one that taught TJD these things in his two years with him, he needs to dust off those lessen books and teach Malik those things as well.

Or he could make it easy on himself and hire an assistant coach that has proven an ability to teach the game.

I know its gloomy right now...but I honestly think if we could return Malik, Mack, Trey, Gabe, Jakai, Anthony...add a couple good starter level players in the portal AND...AND...find an assistant coach that could teach all these guys some of the most basic basketball game play stuff... even with Woody's shortcomings, we could turn things around and have a pretty good year next year.

Woody can't do it without coaching help though, I'm convinced of that. We won't have guys the caliber or TJD and JHS on our roster next year.
Yes and know…TJD became much better athlete his final two years. Became leaner, bouncy. Malik’s needs same transformation…he is more skilled than TJD offensively (minus passing out of the post)
As for next year…ehh need all new guards to fix this roster. I’m not excited about another backcourt of Trey and Cupps

TJD‘s Soph and Senior stats pretty close. I don’t see any unusual development going from Soph to Senior and could make a case for the opposite.

Jesus Christ, you rightwingers blame everything on DEI. Where on the doll did DEI hurt you?

If a recruit wants Mike Woodson then the recruit needs to come get Mike Woodson.

Yes and know…TJD became much better athlete his final two years. Became leaner, bouncy. Malik’s needs same transformation…he is more skilled than TJD offensively (minus passing out of the post)
As for next year…ehh need all new guards to fix this roster. I’m not excited about another backcourt of Trey and Cupps
I would respectfully disagree that Reneau is more skilled offensively than TJD. Davis averaged more points...but more importantly, he can score on both sides of the rim.....Reneau is pretty much confined to the left side.

I would respectfully disagree that Reneau is more skilled offensively than TJD. Davis averaged more points...but more importantly, he can score on both sides of the rim.....Reneau is pretty much confined to the left side.
Malik can shoot better from the outside is why I say that. TJD was all around the rim. I agree with that…Malik can become a stretch 4 if he really develops. He hit 15 threes this year

TJD‘s Soph and Senior stats pretty close. I don’t see any unusual development going from Soph to Senior and could make a case for the opposite.
The big difference was his playmaking, dribbling, and passing. Woodson initiated a lot of offense thru him and he often led fast breaks from his own rebound. He also played better defense. I don’t know that he learned all of that from Woodson. But Woodson gave him the freedom to do it, while Archie did not.
On the other hand, he gave Malik more freedom, but Malik wasn’t ready for it this year. So Malik needs a lot of work and instruction this summer to get there.

Reactions: bsmitty08
That may be, but also recognize that in his soph year, he wasn't nearly the focal point of the defense's he faced, like he was as a senior. He became a much better passer and in how he handled double teams and also became much more comfortable out on the floor. He was a much more polished player by the time he was a senior and it's greatly aided his transition to the pros. Had he come out as a soph, he'd not have had the impact at GS that he's had, imo.

I am just pointing out that development between Soph year and Senior year for all American an caliber player is the usual

Really ?
34.3 minutes a game as a sophomore vs 34.5 as a senior so the same.
But his senior defense was much better.
He altered what other teams could do in the lane and his blocks went from 39 to 129 (not to mention he altered more shots).
His shooting average increased 60 points, even though he was the focal point of other teams defenses.
He went much stronger to the basket rather than “flicking” the ball at the rim
In spite of being double and triple teamed he passed much better.
His assist rate went from 1.7 per game to 4.0
He handled the ball more and better.

His improvement was very noticeable

Reactions: Al Bino
Really ?
34.3 minutes a game as a sophomore vs 34.5 as a senior so the same.
But his senior defense was much better.
He altered what other teams could do in the lane and his blocks went from 39 to 129 (not to mention he altered more shots).
His shooting average increased 60 points, even though he was the focal point of other teams defenses.
He went much stronger to the basket rather than “flicking” the ball at the rim
In spite of being double and triple teamed he passed much better.
His assist rate went from 1.7 per game to 4.0
He handled the ball more and better.

His improvement was very noticeable
And, as much as I want Woodson gone, you have to give MW some credit for TJD's improvement!

Ochai Agbaji from Kansas is a recent all American and from Soph to Senior he went from 10 ppg to 18.8, 3% from 33.7 to 40.7, fg% from 42.8 to 47.5, rebounds from 4.2 to 5.1.
Edey went from 14.4 ppg to 24.4 and rebounds from 7.7 to 11.7.

improvement from Soph to senior for all american caliber players is the norm. If you choose to believe CMW had an unusually good impact on TJD’s development your prerogative .but I don‘t see evidence of unusual development with TJD.

Ochai Agbaji from Kansas is a recent all American and from Soph to Senior he went from 10 ppg to 18.8, 3% from 33.7 to 40.7, fg% from 42.8 to 47.5, rebounds from 4.2 to 5.1.
Edey went from 14.4 ppg to 24.4 and rebounds from 7.7 to 11.7.

improvement from Soph to senior for all american caliber players is the norm. If you choose to believe CMW had an unusually good impact on TJD’s development your prerogative .but I don‘t see evidence of unusual development with TJD.
Congratulations on being the only one who thinks that TJD didn’t improve in his last 2 years.

Congratulations on being the only one who thinks that TJD didn’t improve in his last 2 years.
My statement was that TJD’s improvement from Soph to Senior is within the normal range of development for an all American caliber player without crediting CMW with providing unusually good coaching that developed him unusually as a player.

Last edited:
My statement was that TJjD’s improvement from Soph to Senior is within the normal range of development for an all American caliber player without crediting CMW with providing unusually good coaching that developed him unusually as a player.
I agree with this. TJD is becoming a very good pro player. I just have to wonder why thru -out his college career he never developed a decent 15 foot jump shot. Should have been a coaching and player priority. And how that flaw might limit his earnings and longevity.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I agree with this. TJD is becoming a very good pro player. I just have to wonder why thru -out his college career he never developed a decent 15 foot jump shot. Should have been a coaching and player priority. And how that flaw might limit his earnings and longevity.
I’d need to look at a lot of data but suspect statistically that TJD’s development through his final two seasons was at the low side of improvement for all-americans in general. He was forecast to be an all-american his junior year but his production was down as a junior.

I’d need to look at a lot of data but suspect statistically that TJD’s development through his final two seasons was at the low side of improvement for all-americans in general. He was forecast to be an all-american his junior year but his production was down as a junior.
He was up in FGs, FG%, assists, and blocks during his junior year vs sophomore. The main thing I noticed was that he ran the floor a lot better that year. I credit Woodson for that, and also for his big jump again as a senior in most categories, particularly assists.

He was up in FGs, FG%, assists, and blocks during his junior year vs sophomore. The main thing I noticed was that he ran the floor a lot better that year. I credit Woodson for that, and also for his big jump again as a senior in most categories, particularly assists.
He played 35 games his junior year vs 27 his Sophomore year so yes his totals went up. Your prerogative to believe CMW had an outstanding impact on his development-up to you. I don’t and would bet if we masked names and sent the stats (soph and Senior) from all all-americans for say the last five years for Independent assessment and rank 50% in high improvement and 50% in low improvement TJD is in the bottom half.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT