ADVERTISEMENT

Very Fair Article on Woodson Hire- Not good

He is going to need to surround himself with some very good assistants who know the college scene and handling student-athletes vs. NBA players. Let's see how he rounds out his staff.
He already has and it can only get better

The most successful college coaches these days spend an inordinate amount of time and energy on things that coaches who come from a pro background just don’t have to deal with in the same way.

Heh...I’m not sure I agree with that. I’m sure the pro players are pretty much the same way, except they have FU money to go along with it all. And I bet NBA coaches do more coddling and ego-stroking than disciplining.

So many pros are younger than they used to be. Granted, there are vets too. And that’s always been the case. But I just don’t see this great difference.

Glad he put opinion cause his opinion means squat to me ! These people have no idea what or how Woodson can relate to college kids. One constant of IU basketball has been Woodson name with every opening. Maybe if the school didn’t try to stay away from IU guys for so long we wouldn’t be in the mess we’ve seen.
I am with COACH WOODSON as long as he is with us.

You’re right, this article has a lot of fair points and presents a lot of reasons to be concerned. One potential difference I see right from the start is the Matta hiring as a package deal. We don’t know the intricacies surrounding those other failed NBA hires, but let’s hope Dolson is a genius and has a plan to offer Woody the support he needs to get this off the ground.

We have no idea what will happen with this experiment, but for the life of me I somehow doubt that Woody would even sniff an interview at any elite program.
Lmao. College programs are not often destinations for professional level coaches. That may change more and more, but coaches in the NBA with Woodson’s experience wouldn’t normally consider ANY college coaching position.

Lets review IU coaching hires post Knight?

Mike Davis: A good guy by most accounts, but inexperienced as a basketball coach at any level at the time. Was in over his head from jump street and got chewed up and spat out from the pressure of it. I won't say he didn't have IU's best interests at heart, but I can confidently say he had so little experience that he wouldn't recognize what that meant at the time.

Kelvin Sampson: A good coach, but one who ran afoul of the NCAA rules of the day, got out of town in Oklahoma before the posse rode in and then committed the same infractions here. He was the epitome of a guy who at the time was about his own self interests, and not the best interests of IU.

Tom Crean: A used car salesman's approach to coaching, a fine actor who says all the right things but at the end of the day, he was an average coach and another guy who had his own interests first.

Archie Miller: A guy who succeeded in a small conference, came here with a nice resume but just never got it to click despite being able to bring in enough talent. By the end, it seemed like he was a guy who didn't coach like he wanted to be here, and basically quit his job long before he was fired.

With all of those guys above, at some point in their time here, they either didn't or couldn't put IU's best interests first. And sometimes, that doesn't always matter but I think it ended up being a large reason why we couldn't sustain under them and eventually they were all fired. I said in another thread, the hiring of Woodson as HC and Matta as Assistant AD over the program doesn't have the wow factor that a Stevens, Beard, Musselman or Altman hire would have. But what you DO have in those two are guys who get the history, understand the pressures of coaching at IU and the B1G, who truly give a damn about the state of the program and who have IU's best interests at heart. I think that, and the kind of culture that can be cultivated from it, goes a helluva long way towards getting us back into the game.

Lets review IU coaching hires post Knight?

Mike Davis: A good guy by most accounts, but inexperienced as a basketball coach at any level at the time. Was in over his head from jump street and got chewed up and spat out from the pressure of it. I won't say he didn't have IU's best interests at heart, but I can confidently say he had so little experience that he wouldn't recognize what that meant at the time.

Kelvin Sampson: A good coach, but one who ran afoul of the NCAA rules of the day, got out of town in Oklahoma before the posse rode in and then committed the same infractions here. He was the epitome of a guy who at the time was about his own self interests, and not the best interests of IU.

Tom Crean: A used car salesman's approach to coaching, a fine actor who says all the right things but at the end of the day, he was an average coach and another guy who had his own interests first.

Archie Miller: A guy who succeeded in a small conference, came here with a nice resume but just never got it to click despite being able to bring in enough talent. By the end, it seemed like he was a guy who didn't coach like he wanted to be here, and basically quit his job long before he was fired.

With all of those guys above, at some point in their time here, they either didn't or couldn't put IU's best interests first. And sometimes, that doesn't always matter but I think it ended up being a large reason why we couldn't sustain under them and eventually they were all fired. I said in another thread, the hiring of Woodson as HC and Matta as Assistant AD over the program doesn't have the wow factor that a Stevens, Beard, Musselman or Altman hire would have. But what you DO have in those two are guys who get the history, understand the pressures of coaching at IU and the B1G, who truly give a damn about the state of the program and who have IU's best interests at heart. I think that, and the kind of culture that can be cultivated from it, goes a helluva long way towards getting us back into the game.
It’ll be tough to do worse than Archie. And I find it hard to believe given all of his experience in the nba he’s a worse coach than Crean. That bar isn’t exactly high but he understands Indiana and this is his dream job. That’s a good start.

He is going to need to surround himself with some very good assistants who know the college scene and handling student-athletes vs. NBA players. Let's see how he rounds out his staff.
When is the last time IU had an assistant that was worth a flip?

Woodson is way way too old. You clowns will see. Who in the hell are going to be his assistants? Nobody is leaving (Lewis, Fife, etc). Matta is not a bench coach. He’s in an admin position. He won’t be recruiting
You think he can’t find good assistants? That’s your brilliant comeback? You are a joke.

Woodson is way way too old. You clowns will see. Who in the hell are going to be his assistants? Nobody is leaving (Lewis, Fife, etc). Matta is not a bench coach. He’s in an admin position. He won’t be recruiting
He’s 10 years younger than coach k

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT