ADVERTISEMENT

Unbelievable. Not in a million years...

Yeah definitely poor decisions. Head coach at Alabama, the defensive coordinator at Alabama, the offensive coordinator at Alabama. Strength and conditioning coaches at Alabama. Secondary coach at North Carolina.
You're ignoring his turd burger hires. He had good hires, yes, but also had a string of rotten hires. Sheridan as OC, Bell as OC, and keeping Hiller well past expiration date, killed Allen's tenure.

His good hires were hired away and he replaced them with subpar coaches.

You're ignoring his turd burger hires. He had good hires, yes, but also had a string of rotten hires. Sheridan as OC, Bell as OC, and keeping Hiller well past expiration date, killed Allen's tenure.

His good hires were hired away and he replaced them with subpar coaches.
Ok Sheridan is now the offensive coordinator at Alabama. Bell is now at Western Michigan so he is still getting hired so others also believe he is capable. Hiller also had a decent track record and started ok at IU. I do not know what happened that led to his decline.

Ok Sheridan is now the offensive coordinator at Alabama. Bell is now at Western Michigan so he is still getting hired so others also believe he is capable. Hiller also had a decent track record and started ok at IU. I do not know what happened that led to his decline.
Bell has stunk at every place he has gone.

Good for him that western Michigan made a poor choice but they also are a drop down from p5. Not exactly a shining example of him being big ten material.

And yet other than Sheridan, those aren't the coaches he was talking about.

You need more than a handful of hits and when they leave, you need to hit again. And when someone is a miss, you can't wait years to fix it.

If he hadn't held on to hiller and hadn't went with bell then maybe things wouldn't have ended the way they did.
So Mike Deboard was followed up by Kalen Deboer. He left and was replaced by Sheridan. Sheridan was handcuffed by Hiller. He was hired at Alabama so let's see how he does there. Bell was also handcuffed by Hiller. He was replaced by Carey and things seemed to have been trending up with a quarterback with zero college experience. On defense his first hire was Kane Wommack who is now at Alabama. He then hired Charlton a position coach at Georgia. He was there for one not great year. He left for North Carolina. Matt Guinieri then came in for one year for a so so year.

Bell has stunk at every place he has gone.

Good for him that western Michigan made a poor choice but they also are a drop down from p5. Not exactly a shining example of him being big ten material.
So not to make excuses but the quarterback he had to play at Florida State was terrible in high school not sure why Taggart recruited him. At Maryland he was playing a third or fourth string qb. Not really a recipe for success anywhere. Indiana was multitude of failures. And yes while Western Michigan is not a Power 5 school. They have a new coach who for some reason he believes that Bell is the right guy. Not really sure what your background is in hiring coordinators.

So not to make excuses but the quarterback he had to play at Florida State was terrible in high school not sure why Taggart recruited him. At Maryland he was playing a third or fourth string qb. Not really a recipe for success anywhere. Indiana was multitude of failures. And yes while Western Michigan is not a Power 5 school. They have a new coach who for some reason he believes that Bell is the right guy. Not really sure what your background is in hiring coordinators.
Lol.

So unless we work in the field, we aren't allowed to have an opinion on a coach that has failed at every place he has gone.

I get that you hate any criticism of coaches but get a grip.

Lol.

So unless we work in the field, we aren't allowed to have an opinion on a coach that has failed at every place he has gone.

I get that you hate any criticism of coaches but get a grip.
No you are allowed to have an opinion. However I would not question your job performance without knowing your job. Things are not as they always appear. Bill Belichick failed at Cleveland and turned out to be ok for NE. Pete Carroll failed with the Jets. He had a better than average career. No I am not saying Bell is either of those I am just saying circumstances determine outcomes. Who knows if Allen weren't on the hoy seat and was able to give Bell and or Sheridan more time maybe things could have been different. I mean did you know that Bell had multiple injured quarterbacks Not many teams can go 3 and 4 deep with success. I do know that his quarterback at FSU was bad before Bell. as we played against and watched on tape many times. Plus I worked with his head coach and remember him questioning FSU even recruiting him. If he is the one that recruited him then that is on him. I don't know if he was. Yes he could truly be bad or he could just be really unlucky. And finally yes I do tend to support coaches. But when kids stopped playing for Hiller I was very vocal about saying it was time for him to go. I also agreed it was time for Tom Allen to go.

Reactions: vesuvius13
No you are allowed to have an opinion. However I would not question your job performance without knowing your job. Things are not as they always appear. Bill Belichick failed at Cleveland and turned out to be ok for NE. Pete Carroll failed with the Jets. He had a better than average career. No I am not saying Bell is either of those I am just saying circumstances determine outcomes. Who knows if Allen weren't on the hoy seat and was able to give Bell and or Sheridan more time maybe things could have been different. I mean did you know that Bell had multiple injured quarterbacks Not many teams can go 3 and 4 deep with success. I do know that his quarterback at FSU was bad before Bell. as we played against and watched on tape many times. Plus I worked with his head coach and remember him questioning FSU even recruiting him. If he is the one that recruited him then that is on him. I don't know if he was. Yes he could truly be bad or he could just be really unlucky. And finally yes I do tend to support coaches. But when kids stopped playing for Hiller I was very vocal about saying it was time for him to go. I also agreed it was time for Tom Allen to go.
If Bell had success at prior stops, then I could see it being just a matter of circumstances.

Bell wasn't looking that impressive even before any QBs got injured. I don't get the feeling QBs had that much trust in Bell given Bazelak, Tuttle and even Gremel all jumped off the sinking sink at the end of the year.

A vast majority of posters were not impressed with Bell's resume even before he set foot on campus. Maybe it was just a lot of bad luck at every single stop or maybe Bell's system just doesn't work

Last edited:
If Bell had success at prior stops, then I could see it being just a matter of circumstances.

Bell wasn't looking that impressive even before any QBs got injured. I don't get the feeling QBs had that much trust in Bell given Bazelak, Tuttle and even Gremel all jumped off the sinking sink at the end of the year.

A vast majority of posters were not impressed with Bell's resume even before he set foot on campus. Maybe it was just a lot of bad luck at every single stop or maybe Bell's system just doesn't work
Bazelak's days were over at IU, no matter what. Tuttle was probably just seeking a title which he got. Gremel was a walk- on and USF coach said that he was not really even adequate for them. As for most posters on here they are seldom satisfied.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Bazelak's days were over at IU, no matter what. Tuttle was probably just seeking a title which he got. Gremel was a walk- on and USF coach said that he was not really even adequate for them. As for most posters on here they are seldom satisfied.

And yet if Bell was a better coach, I doubt they all would have fled. If Bazelak wasn't handed the starting job on a silver platter and the offense had been better than abysmal, Tuttle likely would have stayed

Name one fanbase that would have been satisfied with the offensive production under Bell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT