ADVERTISEMENT

BIG Officiating.

Don't agree, whether you hate PU or not Painter is one of the quietist coaches as far as getting on refs as there is. Compare him to that damn crybaby Izzo...
He did a masterful job of lobbying for Edey to be officiated the way he has been and he didn't do it by screaming at refs. It worked well, we have to hand him that.

It's totally out of balance, and yes, Edey still gets hacks that don't get called, but look at their foul and FT disparity after virtually every game. Basically he always gets the other teams entire frontcourt in foul trouble, and yet he is rarely in foul trouble, despite being the biggest, strongest and most physical player on the floor. This gives PU a huge FT advantage in most games too. I think it does go back to MP's campaign last year about Edey getting hacked. I'm not going to look, but I'd be willing to bet Edey has more games with 0 or 1 foul than he does 4+. Unfathomable for a guy that plays like he does. And I agree about the screening, he regularly repositions into to defender when setting a screen and never gets called for it. He could foul out of most games just on that, offensive positioning and over the backs.
OK....did we bitch all those years that IU "made more free throws than their opponents attempted"? No...we bragged about it and patted ourselves on the back. Now its Purdue's turn....because IU basketball doesn't exist anymore.

He went on a very public campaign last year complaining about how Edey was being called. That's the source of all the Painter/Ref talk on here.

Rightly so, he's been ridiculed because Edey has, at a minimum, benefitted from how officials call him equally to being hurt by it. And that's a bare minimum. The guy rarely incurs more than a foul or two in a game. Despite committing easily double digit, obvious, fouls himself. In their main offense, he sets probably a dozen illegal ball screens a game, hardly ever called.

I guess Edey's price for that grace, is having to deal with getting hammered himself when he posts up and takes shots. He does get hammered, more than they call, but he also does get to shoot a TON of free throws as well.

Everyone except Purdue fans knows the scale tilts heavily in Edey/Purdue's favor. It has helped them win a couple B10 titles... I don't think officiating is what has caused Purdue's losses in the NCAA's recently. Rather, I think it just doesn't HELP them the way B10 officials do. B10 officials would have ended St Peter's and FDU's chances, with horrible calls in Edey/Purdue's favor. NCAA tourney officials call the games closer to how they should be called. So it allows teams to strategize and attack Purdue's obvious flaws and weaknesses.
The objective and knowledgeble PU gtads I know (there are not many) acknowledge what you are pointing out.

OK....did we bitch all those years that IU "made more free throws than their opponents attempted"? No...we bragged about it and patted ourselves on the back. Now its Purdue's turn....because IU basketball doesn't exist anymore.
IU had these results to be sure but there was never...never anything close to what we have seen with Edey. The most protected player i recall was Alford and he put himself in position to get fouled and some were touch fouls..but the biggest difference is that #12 did not commit 15 uncalled fouls a game.

that would be relevant if our FT/foul advantage were attributable to a single player. PU has had a FT advantage like that long before Edey got there. Yes, if you play smart and are aggressive in looking for your shot, you're often going to have a FT advantage, and if you make them it might even be that you'll make more than your opponent takes. IU under RMK and PU under Painter and Keady before him regularly did that. Look at their #s, if they barely only make more than their opponent takes with Edey, they had a bad day at the office (and MP is going to let the officials know about it!).

Looks fine if you're a PU fan
No t doesn’t. It was a foul on Edey. Just like Hepburn fouled Smith multiple times as he brought the ball up the court. Watch Domask use that left hand.tell Great player, but fouls repeatedly. Shannon barreling down the lane knocking guys on their ass and no foul called. I would remind Hoosier fans that the game changed when Coach Knight brought aggressive defense to college basketball. At West Point it was a great equalizer for smart, fundamentally sound future military officers. At IU the big addition was talented players working as hard on defense as guys like Maravich, Mount and others did on offense. CMP came into the Big Ten embracing defense, but he has evolved over the years and now has a strong offensive bias. You have to be consistent in officiating and many are not. That really affects many games. When three (or more) players converge on one player and hit him , low and anywhere they can somebody is going to get hurt very badly. The officiating g in non Big Ten games is far better and more consistent. You think that explains being 36-0 in out of conference games the last three years when 15 of Purdue’s 1osses were in Big Ten games?
Looks fine if you're a PU Fanny

You think that explains being 36-0 in out of conference games the last three years
You know your tournament games were out of conference the last few years too, right? Oh wait, I guess you're not counting tournament games!

He went on a very public campaign last year complaining about how Edey was being called. That's the source of all the Painter/Ref talk on here.

Rightly so, he's been ridiculed because Edey has, at a minimum, benefitted from how officials call him equally to being hurt by it. And that's a bare minimum. The guy rarely incurs more than a foul or two in a game. Despite committing easily double digit, obvious, fouls himself. In their main offense, he sets probably a dozen illegal ball screens a game, hardly ever called.

I guess Edey's price for that grace, is having to deal with getting hammered himself when he posts up and takes shots. He does get hammered, more than they call, but he also does get to shoot a TON of free throws as well.

Everyone except Purdue fans knows the scale tilts heavily in Edey/Purdue's favor. It has helped them win a couple B10 titles... I don't think officiating is what has caused Purdue's losses in the NCAA's recently. Rather, I think it just doesn't HELP them the way B10 officials do. B10 officials would have ended St Peter's and FDU's chances, with horrible calls in Edey/Purdue's favor. NCAA tourney officials call the games closer to how they should be called. So it allows teams to strategize and attack Purdue's obvious flaws and weaknesses.
Just one loss and this madness will be over.

It could also end with no more losses — that would be really bad.

Every fan looks at a game non-objectively and will scream and moan about this or that missed call while blatantly ignoring the calls that benefitted them.

The thing that drives me crazy about Big Ten reffing is the lack of consistency, especially within the same game.

There are games where I swear that the refs sit down during half time and say either A) Wow, we've been calling some pretty ticky-tack fouls so far, if we keep this up, we'll foul out the entire team. We'll get so much flack for it, we'd better start "letting them play".....or B) Wow, this game is getting out of hand, we'd better start calling some of the ticky-tack stuff so the game doesn't get out of hand...

If you want to call it tight, fine, call it tight, just do that all game long. It's tough for players to figure out how much intensity to bring if you are going to change your mind on what a foul is halfway through the game.

Every fan looks at a game non-objectively and will scream and moan about this or that missed call while blatantly ignoring the calls that benefitted them.

The thing that drives me crazy about Big Ten reffing is the lack of consistency, especially within the same game.

There are games where I swear that the refs sit down during half time and say either A) Wow, we've been calling some pretty ticky-tack fouls so far, if we keep this up, we'll foul out the entire team. We'll get so much flack for it, we'd better start "letting them play".....or B) Wow, this game is getting out of hand, we'd better start calling some of the ticky-tack stuff so the game doesn't get out of hand...

If you want to call it tight, fine, call it tight, just do that all game long. It's tough for players to figure out how much intensity to bring if you are going to change your mind on what a foul is halfway through the game.
Exactly. I hate it when fans blame refs for losses , all I ask for is consistency. so that a player knows what happens if he does X.

@Bucket Getter @kkott @Courtsensetwo Why is this funny? Last year the 2nd place team in the B10 was above 20 in Kenpom. This year the top 4 teams are 3rd, 10th, 17th and 18th and the 5th is right there in the 20's.
It's funny to me, because it's just more ways to try and pump up and polish the turd that is winning the B10 regular season championship, while ignoring what people really care about: NCAA tourney success! Can anyone tell you who won the Big East regular season crown last year (hint: it wasn't UCONN)? But everyone knows who won the NCAA tournament. Likewise, not many can tell you that PU won the B10 regular season title, but everyone knows what FDU did last year. Just like your boys pimping their B10 rings last year at media day. You have a good team this year, and a great chance to begin rewriting your tournament history and if you do, you won't be talking about B10 regular season championships, and you know it!

It sure could. Their path could be very manageable. They avoided pretty much all the Auburn/Kentucky type teams that I thin would have bounced them, possibly easily.
Purdue has by far the easiest bracket, IMO. They’ve already beaten the #2 in their bracket. I fully expect them to break thru their glass ceiling this year.

It's funny to me, because it's just more ways to try and pump up and polish the turd that is winning the B10 regular season championship, while ignoring what people really care about: NCAA tourney success! Can anyone tell you who won the Big East regular season crown last year (hint: it wasn't UCONN)? But everyone knows who won the NCAA tournament. Likewise, not many can tell you that PU won the B10 regular season title, but everyone knows what FDU did last year. Just like your boys pimping their B10 rings last year at media day. You have a good team this year, and a great chance to begin rewriting your tournament history and if you do, you won't be talking about B10 regular season championships, and you know it!
I don't have to pump up anything. Their record does that just fine. Besides, I didn't make the statement about the B10 to make us look better. I did it because it's true. I was making a statement of fact. Look up the metrics for yourself.

Purdue has by far the easiest bracket, IMO. They’ve already beaten the #2 in their bracket. I fully expect them to break thru their glass ceiling this year.
I wouldn't have expected them to do it had they had any sort of combination of teams like Texas A&M, FAU, Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama, Arizona...How they avoided ALL of those teams like that is nuts, to me.

Stylistically, their path is about as kind as it could possibly have been. Doesn't mean they won't face good teams, and they just lost to a Wisconsin team that doesn't fit the mold of what I think their biggest matchup issue would be...

I've seen a lot of people make this claim, but If you add up the metric numbers for the top 4 seeds, it's the toughest bracket.
A lot of people are making the claim for a reason. Every region has good teams from a metric stand point, they work hard to balance them out accordingly. Purdue avoided basically ALL the higher level, guard dominated, up tempo teams.

If they had basically any of the other regions path...I'd give them a very, very small chance of winning 4 games in a row and making a final four. In the region they got, I think unless they choke, its probably likely. And it all comes down to types of teams, and style of play.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
I wouldn't have expected them to do it had they had any sort of combination of teams like Texas A&M, FAU, Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama, Arizona...How they avoided ALL of those teams like that is nuts, to me.
That argument would be more effective if you hadn't included two teams that they already beat once this year, both on neutral courts.
Sure, we can go with the "that was early in the season before those teams jelled while Purdue came in with a complete team already..." etc., but still.....

A lot of people are making the claim for a reason. Every region has good teams from a metric stand point, they work hard to balance them out accordingly. Purdue avoided basically ALL the higher level, guard dominated, up tempo teams.

If they had basically any of the other regions path...I'd give them a very, very small chance of winning 4 games in a row and making a final four. In the region they got, I think unless they choke, its probably likely. And it all comes down to types of teams, and style of play.
They've already played most of them though. At least the top seeded ones.

Probably because we've already beaten Alabama and Arizona.

Stylistically, their path is about as kind as it could possibly have been. Doesn't mean they won't face good teams, and they just lost to a Wisconsin team that doesn't fit the mold of what I think their biggest matchup issue would be...
Well-stated, and precisely my view - their bracket is devoid of teams that would seem likeliest to give PU a good battle.

That argument would be more effective if you hadn't included two teams that they already beat once this year, both on neutral courts.
Sure, we can go with the "that was early in the season before those teams jelled while Purdue came in with a complete team already..." etc., but still.....
Is it more likely they would beat those 2 teams a second tIme, or more likely they might lose to those teams in a rematch? Just asking hypothetically.

How about having some accountability and transparency. The NBA isn’t perfect, but they review every call from every official within the last 2 mins and OT. They identify the official and state whether the call was right or wrong. At least it is an attempt to measure and improve quality. And NBA refs are a ton better than Big10 refs in a faster and more physical game. These same Big10 refs keep making shitty calls game after game with no apparent consequences.
NBA officials are puppets. Terrible.

Is it more likely they would beat those 2 teams a second tIme, or more likely they might lose to those teams in a rematch? Just asking hypothetically.
It's Purdue in March, the only team that loses to a 17 seed and no one is surprised. Lets see if they can get past the first few games without pissing down their own legs again.

Not only do these games carry the normal weight of championship dreams but Purdue's journey also carries the weight of decades of tournament futility past and when the lights get bright and the games get tight that weight increases..

Does this team have the testicular fortitude to overcome that or will they pucker and fold like the last three have ... we'll see.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they call it Euro-walking now. It’s right up there with being allowed to dribble once or twice to get control of a pass, then starting a new dribble from scratch.
That really pisses me off. That used to be a travel every time.

Don't know. Outside of owning a Sliders module, I don't think anyone can really say.
Hypothetically, they could play Samford again, who they destroyed in the preseason, but this time lose.

Just pointing out that saying "this is the type of team that they would lose to" and then including two examples where they have actual (not hypothetical) winning results against those teams is not a good argument base.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
I don't have to pump up anything. Their record does that just fine. Besides, I didn't make the statement about the B10 to make us look better. I did it because it's true. I was making a statement of fact. Look up the metrics for yourself.
You asked why it was funny, and I told you. I didn't expect you to like it. You guys make the F4 this year, and we won't hear boo about your B10 regular season championship. Don't? And, it's all we'll hear about.

Reactions: Spartans9312
You asked why it was funny, and I told you. I didn't expect you to like it. You guys make the F4 this year, and we won't hear boo about your B10 regular season championship. Don't? And, it's all we'll hear about.
See, I don't agree with this. If they actually get to the Final 4 this year, the Purdue fans will absolutely pump both. They just haven't had the chance to pump the FF yet.

I mean, George Mason and VCU have a final 4 banner. Making it once is great and all, but it doesn't make you a blue blood. If Purdue managed to pull off 3 or 4 FF's over the next 10 years, then maybe they would switch to solely bragging about post season greatness.
That's essentially what the MSU fans have become.

See, I don't agree with this. If they actually get to the Final 4 this year, the Purdue fans will absolutely pump both. They just haven't had the chance to pump the FF yet.

I mean, George Mason and VCU have a final 4 banner. Making it once is great and all, but it doesn't make you a blue blood. If Purdue managed to pull off 3 or 4 FF's over the next 10 years, then maybe they would switch to solely bragging about post season greatness.
That's essentially what the MSU fans have become.
Again, I go back to: without looking who won the Big East last year? Who was the National Champion? Winning the B10, especially now that it's unbalanced, only matters to the reigning champ... and only then if they don't do squat in the real tournament. I was at a party in Raleigh during the first round last year. I doubt more than 3-4 people there knew that Purdue had one the B10 regular season title. But, after that day, they all knew they'd lost to FDU.

Again, I go back to: without looking who won the Big East last year? Who was the National Champion? Winning the B10, especially now that it's unbalanced, only matters to the reigning champ... and only then if they don't do squat in the real tournament. I was at a party in Raleigh during the first round last year. I doubt more than 3-4 people there knew that Purdue had one the B10 regular season title. But, after that day, they all knew they'd lost to FDU.
OK, bit of a misunderstanding here. I was talking about your last sentence. "You have a good team this year, and a great chance to begin rewriting your tournament history and if you do, you won't be talking about B10 regular season championships, and you know it!"

I don't disagree with the other part of your post. I just think that if Purdue does get a FF, they are not suddenly going to stop talking about their Big Ten championships.

When your best jewel is a turd...you have to polish a turd.

PU basically brought back the same team this year. So they should have been more ready to play in early season games than most anyone else they played. I expect they might find that those 2 teams are much better than they were early season.

Reactions: kkott
It's Purdue in March, the only team that loses to a 17 seed and no one is surprised. Lets see if they can get past the first few games without pissing down their own legs again.

Not only do these games carry the normal weight of championship dreams but Purdue's journey also carries the weight of decades of tournament futility past and when the lights get bright and the games get tight that weight increases..

Does this team have the testicular fortitude to overcome that or will they pucker and fold like the last three have ... we'll see.
JMO… this Purdue team is more experienced, tougher, smarter, and shoots better than their last 2 yrs.
I see FF.

The BIG 10 hasn't won a title since Cleaves.

It can't be said its teams have been prepared for the tourney these past 25 years. Our best team keeps losing to 14 and 16 seeds.
There have been plenty of teams that have made the F4 over the years and even the championship game since. So it's not like the conference isn't capable. Any team that makes the F4 is capable. It just hasn't happened.

Love your stuff here Bubba. Glad we matter so very much to you at this time of year.
Hey, I love the fact that you can't stand that I have civil conversations here about things that you have to run to the national board and lie about me. Cool stuff. You must have thought I still had you on ignore there and you could get away with it.

You made it into a Purdue thing when that wasn't my intent at all.

You made it into a Purdue thing when that wasn't my intent at all.
Yeah, yeah, I know: you're just here to talk bball or B10 bball. Spare me. You are here exclusively to turn it into a Purdue thing. I didn't even comment, just laughed at you saying the B10 is MUCH better this year. The B10 is the same as last year: 1 good team a few mediocre ones and then garbage.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT