ADVERTISEMENT

Unbelievable. Not in a million years...

I am guessing that Sheridan will have DeBoer telling him how to attack defenses as if Sheridan does what he did at IU, Alabama will be a disaster this year. DeBoer won't let the offense go downhill and he may have to change things as he goes.

So Kalen Deboer recommended Sheridan for the IU. The minute he has the same position available he is apparently ready to hire him. IU fans believe that Deboer is the almighty and all knowing coach, But now that he is set to hire Sheridan he does not know what he is doing. With all these authorities on here it is hard to believe that IU has been so bad in football. I ask you this would you trade Cignetti for Deboer as IU head coach?

So Kalen Deboer recommended Sheridan for the IU. The minute he has the same position available he is apparently ready to hire him. IU fans believe that Deboer is the almighty and all knowing coach, But now that he is set to hire Sheridan he does not know what he is doing. With all these authorities on here it is hard to believe that IU has been so bad in football. I ask you this would you trade Cignetti for Deboer as IU head coach?
No

Never!

If your question is whether I'd rather have DeBoer than Cignetti, obviously DeBoer IF we could be assured of having BeBoer for 3 years.

Reactions: nichlee
DeBoer is likely still going to have a major say in the offense even if he isn't calling the plays. Alabama is also going to have a lot better talent than Sheridan had at IU.

A coach that struggled at a middling P5 program isn't necessarily going to struggle when at a powerhouse and surrounded by a stronger staff.

CCC2.0 brought in coaches he trusts....DeBoer is doing the same.

No, would not trade. IU always seems to have the Napoleon coach
with no soldiers.

Reactions: vesuvius13
DeBoer is likely still going to have a major say in the offense even if he isn't calling the plays. Alabama is also going to have a lot better talent than Sheridan had at IU.

A coach that struggled at a middling P5 program isn't necessarily going to struggle when at a powerhouse and surrounded by a stronger staff.

I agree. I don't view this as shocking. As you've noted, DeBoer will be all over the offense. It wouldn't be surprising if he calls the plays this season and brings Sheridan along slowly.

One big plus with respect to the Sheridan promotion is he's a good recruiter, with strong recruiting ties to the South. He recruited Penix to IU.

You're right. Plays that he called at IU might turn out very differently at Bama.

Kalen is clearly no dummy. Does he have loyalty blind spots similar to the CTA/Hiller fiasco? Guess we’ll see.

It still just absolutely floors me Alabama has entrusted their storied football program to former IU assistants. If I didn’t see it unfold with my own eyes, I’d swear you were lying to me.

Yup.

Google him. He wins.

Let's be real, Hiller proved that he was the real problem after Sheridan left (and the two seasons before that). I think it actually speaks to how bad Hiller was (and KDB must've known that up-close) that KDB was willing to completely overlook the collosal failures of Indiana's offenses under Sheridan.

DeBoer knows what he's doing. His track record is as good or better as anyone who hasn't yet been successful at one of the premier jobs.

So Sheridan didn't do well on his own. I think it's likely he's had plenty more teaching from his mentor, and is likely improved.

His plays weren't bad. It was the weird needing to be the smartest guy in the room instead of just sticking with a sensible plan.
DeBoer will let him know, if for instance, HE PASSES AN INCREDIBLY OUTSIZED AMOUNT OF TIMES WITH A QB WITH A SHOULDER INJURY AGAINST A TEAM WITH AN INEPT RUN DEFENSE THAT HE HAD SHOWN IN THE GAME HE COULD SHRED WITH THE RUN.

Oops sorry! PTSD flashback there.

I'm going with DeBoer knows what he's doing and Sheridan isn't wet behind the ears like he was with us.

DeBoer knows what he's doing. His track record is as good or better as anyone who hasn't yet been successful at one of the premier jobs.

So Sheridan didn't do well on his own. I think it's likely he's had plenty more teaching from his mentor, and is likely improved.

His plays weren't bad. It was the weird needing to be the smartest guy in the room instead of just sticking with a sensible plan.
DeBoer will let him know, if for instance, HE PASSES AN INCREDIBLY OUTSIZED AMOUNT OF TIMES WITH A QB WITH A SHOULDER INJURY AGAINST A TEAM WITH AN INEPT RUN DEFENSE THAT HE HAD SHOWN IN THE GAME HE COULD SHRED WITH THE RUN.

Oops sorry! PTSD flashback there.

I'm going with DeBoer knows what he's doing and Sheridan isn't wet behind the ears like he was with us.
I was there. Thank god I was a mere 20 steps from the Margarita bar. That damn song still gives me a headache.

PREACH

You'd be satisfied with DeBoer for 3 years? Not me. Give me cig for the long term.
Maybe you should Google Deboer. He has won everywhere he has been. Three time National Champion in NAIA, Fresno State and Washington. I hope that Cignetti can be a success here. But if I had the choice I would have loved to have Deboer.

Maybe you should Google Deboer. He has won everywhere he has been. Three time National Champion in NAIA, Fresno State and Washington. I hope that Cignetti can be a success here. But if I had the choice I would have loved to have Deboer.
I like them both. Would’ve been more than happy if we would’ve lured Deboer. But, I am a big fan of this current staff and cannot wait to see what they can do!

I like them both. Would’ve been more than happy if we would’ve lured Deboer. But, I am a big fan of this current staff and cannot wait to see what they can do!
I agree. I am cautiously optimistic about Cignetti and Company. They have had success and i hope it does translate. I have seen Deboer since his days at USF and he is a bonfide winner also. Yes iI obviously like the youth aspect for Deboer. However I see that Cignetti is not likely to jump ship right away. I am rooting for both. But hoping for more from Cignetti.

You'd be satisfied with DeBoer for 3 years? Not me. Give me cig for the long term.

If Cig is highly successful, say 7-7 and 8-4 the first two years, you may not see him in year 3. He's 62. The likes of Bama, Georgia, Texas would not take him, but I could see him at next tier schools like Clemson, N. Carolina, Virginia Tech, West Virginia....

My proviso was that Deboer would be here 3 years. Hypothetically speaking, he would make a much bigger and more immediate recruiting splash and be more successful earlier. I think that would be helpful given how much and how long our most important programs have sucked.

• Haha
If Cig is highly successful, say 7-7 and 8-4 the first two years, you may not see him in year 3. He's 62. The likes of Bama, Georgia, Texas would not take him, but I could see him at next tier schools like Clemson, N. Carolina, Virginia Tech, West Virginia....

My proviso was that Deboer would be here 3 years. Hypothetically speaking, he would make a much bigger and more immediate recruiting splash and be more successful earlier. I think that would be helpful given how much and how long our most important programs have sucked.
If he does well, hopefully we can flex some of our B1G TV $ and maybe improved NIL support to hold off some of these schools not in the B1G or SEC.

I think teams will go after the long time assistants and not CCC himself. He will be 64 yrs old or so. Hopefully, he stays here 6 to 10 years and retires from here as a very successful coach.

I think teams will go after the long time assistants and not CCC himself. He will be 64 yrs old or so. Hopefully, he stays here 6 to 10 years and retires from here as a very successful coach.
Agreed. He's in the position where a couple assistants may soon leave for decent head jobs. People says such good things about his DC and both main guys on offense. Although they make a lot more money now, may stick around a few. And not a bad problem to have. Likely he'll hire replacements for his star coaches better than Coach Allen did.

They have to prove it at Indiana first anyway. Let's see it!

Agreed. He's in the position where a couple assistants may soon leave for decent head jobs. People says such good things about his DC and both main guys on offense. Although they make a lot more money now, may stick around a few. And not a bad problem to have. Likely he'll hire replacements for his star coaches better than Coach Allen did.

Cignetti will be way better in his hiring process than Allen. Allen was far too inconsistent when hiring key assistants and the record shows that to be true.

I can't imagine a scenario where Cignetti would stick with an underachieving coach like TA did with Hiller. Nor can I imagine Cignetti green lighting the Walt Bell hire; he's more competent than that.

Cignetti will be way better in his hiring process than Allen. Allen was far too inconsistent when hiring key assistants and the record shows that to be true.

I can't imagine a scenario where Cignetti would stick with an underachieving coach like TA did with Hiller. Nor can I imagine Cignetti green lighting the Walt Bell hire; he's more competent than that.
You don't think 'has coached somewhere, and can fog a mirror' will be his main two criteria like it was apparently when Allen picked Walt Bell? Probably right.

Sunseri might get plucked just to get a certain QB. Hope not.

Yea.. he will google the assistant coaches :)

Yeah definitely poor decisions. Head coach at Alabama, the defensive coordinator at Alabama, the offensive coordinator at Alabama. Strength and conditioning coaches at Alabama. Secondary coach at North Carolina.

Yeah definitely poor decisions. Head coach at Alabama, the defensive coordinator at Alabama, the offensive coordinator at Alabama. Strength and conditioning coaches at Alabama. Secondary coach at North Carolina.
And yet other than Sheridan, those aren't the coaches he was talking about.

You need more than a handful of hits and when they leave, you need to hit again. And when someone is a miss, you can't wait years to fix it.

If he hadn't held on to hiller and hadn't went with bell then maybe things wouldn't have ended the way they did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT