ADVERTISEMENT

Trump Trial - New York

What do you think is the most likely outcome in the New York trial?

• A guilty verdict on some or all of the counts

• An acquittal ("total exoneration!")

• A hung jury (jury cannot reach a unanimous decision and a mistrial is declared)

• Trump pleads guilty to something prior to a verdict being rendered

• Other (for example, a mistrial based on something other than a hung jury)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can you explain the significance of this "huge revelation" as it pertains to whether the jury in NYC will find Trump guilty or not? Has Monica Crowley done a deep dive on the judge in the MAL case that was unexpectedly appointed to the bench by Trump at the 11th hour, has done everything in her power to sabotage the case and is likely angling for a SCOTUS appointment should Trump be elected?

Surely that is more of a factor worth investigating than the fact that a Judge's daughter, who is a Dem political consultant is paid by Dems for (I assume) legal consultations? I haven't really been paying that much attention since it strikes me as a nothingburger, but IIRC she lives in Chicago (or maybe works in Chicago and lives in DC).

But Judge Merchan (who does not decide the case) has nothing to do with his daughter's business. I doubt very seriously she has achieved any of her wealth and "fame" based on his name. It's her career choice and her Dad's been a trial judge for over 20+ yrs. Is it your position that over those 20+ yrs and hundreds of cases he has been "unfair"? My guess is the only reason you've ever heard of him is that he happened to be the Judge assigned to the Trump trial.

If he was viewed as incompetent or biased, it seems there would be a myriad of complaints filed against him over the years. Do you have any evidence of that? Is he known for a bias in favor of Dem defendants and bias against GOP criminal defendants? If you're going to whine about the way he conducts his courtroom, then I can assure you there were lots of concerns about how the judge in the Rittenhouse case conducted aspects of his trial.. That's kind of what Judges do, run their courtroom in the manner they see fit.

Judges don't bring charges, they aren't advocates. That's the role of Prosecutors and Defense Attorneys. Judges are assigned to cases randomly and if you don't have a problem with the way Judge Merchan treats every other criminal defendant in his courtroom (which I've never noticed you commenting on) then you can't really make the case he is biased against defendants. Most people feel that he has been far more lenient to Trump with the gag order violations and other shenanigans Trump has pulled, than he would have been to any other defendant.

The problem is YOU think Trump is special, and he's not. He's just another criminal defendant in NY facing the same exact judges and jury pool that any other criminal defendant in NY faces.

No doubt if Trump is convicted we'll see a plethora of posts bemoaning "unfair" NY juries. But NY juries convict or aquit defendants on a weekly basis, and I'm not aware of you posting about how tough NY juries are on any other criminal defendants.

I think there is a high % Trump will be convicted, with a slim possibility there will be a holdout and result in a hung jury. I think the odds of Trump being aquitted are nil, because the evidence is overwhelming. We may get an answer as early as this week...

Reactions: Bowlmania
Can you explain the significance of this "huge revelation" as it pertains to whether the jury in NYC will find Trump guilty or not? Has Monica Crowley done a deep dive on the judge in the MAL case that was unexpectedly appointed to the bench by Trump at the 11th hour, has done everything in her power to sabotage the case and is likely angling for a SCOTUS appointment should Trump be elected?

Surely that is more of a factor worth investigating than the fact that a Judge's daughter, who is a Dem political consultant is paid by Dems for (I assume) legal consultations? I haven't really been paying that much attention since it strikes me as a nothingburger, but IIRC she lives in Chicago (or maybe works in Chicago and lives in DC).

But Judge Merchan (who does not decide the case) has nothing to do with his daughter's business. I doubt very seriously she has achieved any of her wealth and "fame" based on his name. It's her career choice and her Dad's been a trial judge for over 20+ yrs. Is it your position that over those 20+ yrs and hundreds of cases he has been "unfair"? My guess is the only reason you've ever heard of him is that he happened to be the Judge assigned to the Trump trial.

If he was viewed as incompetent or biased, it seems there would be a myriad of complaints filed against him over the years. Do you have any evidence of that? Is he known for a bias in favor of Dem defendants and bias against GOP criminal defendants? If you're going to whine about the way he conducts his courtroom, then I can assure you there were lots of concerns about how the judge in the Rittenhouse case conducted aspects of his trial.. That's kind of what Judges do, run their courtroom in the manner they see fit.

Judges don't bring charges, they aren't advocates. That's the role of Prosecutors and Defense Attorneys. Judges are assigned to cases randomly and if you don't have a problem with the way Judge Merchan treats every other criminal defendant in his courtroom (which I've never noticed you commenting on) then you can't really make the case he is biased against defendants. Most people feel that he has been far more lenient to Trump with the gag order violations and other shenanigans Trump has pulled, than he would have been to any other defendant.

The problem is YOU think Trump is special, and he's not. He's just another criminal defendant in NY facing the same exact judges and jury pool that any other criminal defendant in NY faces.

No doubt if Trump is convicted we'll see a plethora of posts bemoaning "unfair" NY juries. But NY juries convict or aquit defendants on a weekly basis, and I'm not aware of you posting about how tough NY juries are on any other criminal defendants.

I think there is a high % Trump will be convicted, with a slim possibility there will be a holdout and result in a hung jury. I think the odds of Trump being aquitted are nil, because the evidence is overwhelming. We may get an answer as early as this week...
Agreed that there's little chance of an acquittal. The jury charge, and structure and content of the verdict sheet, will be critically important and there will be plenty of legal wrangling over both.

Reactions: UncleMark
The BPU endorsed the bill, which is different than a straw poll of border agents. It would be a dereliction of duty for BPU to not endorse a bill that effectively doubled their budget. It doesn’t mean the bill was the correct course of action.

Any immigration fix that doesn’t address the root cause of an unsustainable # of asylum claims (which this bill doesn’t) is a non starter.

Once they get in front of an asylum officer, the battle is already lost. These are the most radical progressives in DHS who will do everything they can to assist in a claim being successful.
Oh FFS, stop being so dishonest. Everyone who cares primarily about border control thought the bill was a good idea. The only people who opposed it are the people who cared more about how the GOP could use the border issue in the election than about actually addressing it.

And the lefties who thought the bill was too anti-immigrant.

Which should be all you need to know. When the extremists and partisans on both sides agree, they are almost always in the wrong.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Oh FFS, stop being so dishonest. Everyone who cares primarily about border control thought the bill was a good idea. The only people who opposed it are the people who cared more about how the GOP could use the border issue in the election than about actually addressing it.
That’s flat out wrong. Texas Senators Cruz and Cornyn opposed. They care deeply about the border.

The fact that your bullshit about this being a “good deal” didn’t fly is a you problem.

You need to open your mind to other sources of information. Because you’re getting really dumb.

That’s flat out wrong. Texas Senators Cruz and Cornyn opposed. They care deeply about the border.

The fact that your bullshit about this being a “good deal” didn’t fly is a you problem.

You need to open your mind to other sources of information. Because you’re getting really dumb.
Or keep being dishonest. Whatever floats your boat.

I guess the prosecution is ready to wrap it up. So did they link it up? Prove intent? Or is it getting directed?

Which should be all you need to know. When the extremists and partisans on both sides agree, they are almost always in the wrong.
This might be the “uniparty” thing. The moonbats and wingnuts are converging on some key issues.

They’re both doing Trump’s bidding. This is not a secret.

You are wrong. It was a shit bill. From National Review to the Trumpian Populists.

Any Republican worth their salt despised the bill.

You my friend, have never been a conservative. Instead a go along to get along sally. A coward.
Nonsense. I’ve long been a conservative. Here’s a little secret for you and your challenged mind, supporting Trump does NOT equal conservatism.

You’re actually calling me a coward? Nothing is less impressive than a keyboard warrior.

The GOP support for this bill came from political contributions by Chamber of Commerce and other business associations. They have always supported lenient border control. The bill did nothing to minimize the incentive for illegal entry which business love. It also codified Biden’s administrative process so a future executive could not return to strict enforcement. The House bill was much better in all important respects.

The GOP support for this bill came from political contributions by Chamber of Commerce and other business associations. They have always supported lenient border control. The bill did nothing to minimize the incentive for illegal entry which business love. It also codified Biden’s administrative process so a future executive could not return to strict enforcement. The House bill was much better in all important respects.
This (below) was shortly before Trump gave the "kill" order.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Good be damned. Perfect or nothing.
Yes.

And "bipartisanship" has become a dirty word to many on the far right. Some (we see it here) now nonsensically reference an evil "uniparty" that only Trump can save us from.

Do you know what's unfortunate? That these geniuses never provide sources. Now that would be fun.

Yes.

And "bipartisanship" has become a dirty word to many on the far right. Some (we see it here) now nonsensically reference an evil "uniparty" that only Trump can save us from.

Do you know what's unfortunate? That these geniuses never provide sources. Now that would be fun.
Why exactly should we find a bipartisan agreement on to what extent we’re willing to let Democrats bastardize our asylum laws?

Why are Democrats so dead set on bastardizing the asylum system?

Your party is diseased.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Yes.

Why didn’t the left allow the bill to be modified?

Why exactly should we find a bipartisan agreement on to what extent we’re willing to let Democrats bastardize our asylum laws?

Why are Democrats so dead set on bastardizing the asylum system?

Your party is diseased.
Hey "uniparty" guy. I'm not a Dem and never have been. I'm a proud independent who will be voting for Biden again.

Lankford, the primary author of the border security bill that was killed, is about as conservative as they come. It was a good bill. A shitload of leading Republicans agreed until Trump decided it was a bad bill for him politically.

A shitload of leading Republicans agreed until Trump decided it was a bad bill for him politically.
Trump wanted to kill the bill because he wanted the issue, not the fix. It was political bullshit, and it hurts our country. And everyone who denies that is either a liar or an idiot.

Edit to clarify: you don't have to be an idiot or a liar to disagree that the bill was good. I only mean you have to be an idiot or a liar to disagree that the bill was only killed because Trump and his followers decided it was better for him politically to keep the issue alive rather than do anything about it.

Last edited:
Trump wanted to kill the bill because he wanted the issue, not the fix. It was political bullshit, and it hurts our country. And everyone who denies that is either a liar or an idiot.

Edit to clarify: you don't have to be an idiot or a liar to disagree that the bill was good. I only mean you have to be an idiot or a liar to disagree that the bill was only killed because Trump and his followers decided it was better for him politically to keep the issue alive rather than do anything about it.
The bill would have tied Trumps hands on trying to return to the strong enforcement he had previously. He’ll have a tough problem anyway because Biden destroyed the international agreements.

What hurts our country?

Reactions: Spartans9312
please, tell us about all the international agreements Biden destroyed. lol. in detail. please. need a laugh.
Mexico, Guatemala, Salvador, and Honduras asylum agreements. Mexico also agreed to enforce its southern border. Biden canned all of those agreements. Biden also withdrew Trumps order about asylum seekers were required to use ports of entry.

Biden did everything to increase the flow, from limiting border patrol and ice authority to easing regulations about asylum and public charge. . That puts downward pressure on wages— which the donors expressly said would happen and supported with targeted donations.

Last edited:

Neither side cares about the border beyond what they can gain from it politically. In that, Biden is no different from Trump.

Neither side cares about the border beyond what they can gain from it politically. In that, Biden is no different from Trump.
The actions Biden took right after assuming office had a devastating impact on crossings. To now come back and try to blame republicans is absurd. Biden needs to pay the price for all that he did year one. It’s shocking how wrong he was about, well, everything

The actions Biden took right after assuming office had a devastating impact on crossings. To now come back and try to blame republicans is absurd. Biden needs to pay the price for all that he did year one. It’s shocking how wrong he was about, well, everything
You're moving the goalpost. Even if it's all Biden's fault, it's still true that the Republicans refused to do anything to fix it because they think their election chances improve if it remains an issue.

We aren't blaming Republicans for breaking immigration. We're blaming them for being dishonest, partisan hacks about their decision to ensure it stays broken.

You're moving the goalpost. Even if it's all Biden's fault, it's still true that the Republicans refused to do anything to fix it because they think their election chances improve if it remains an issue.

We aren't blaming Republicans for breaking immigration. We're blaming them for being dishonest, partisan hacks about their decision to ensure it stays broken.
I have no idea their intent. What you state may be accurate re election games. But that is not a bill I would have signed off on.

Reactions: stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT