ADVERTISEMENT

Trump-Putin love fest continues!

meridian

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2001
Seattle
"President-elect Donald Trump late Friday publicly praised Russian President Vladimir Putin for attacking Trump’s former Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton." - Washington Post.
Here's the link; you be the judge!
Link

"President-elect Donald Trump late Friday publicly praised Russian President Vladimir Putin for attacking Trump’s former Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton." - Washington Post.
Link

Our country has become so spoiled, entitled, fat, rich, and complacent, that we are going to allow a traitor to assume the office of President of the United States. It is truly amazing. We elected him to change the "horrible" condition we find ourselves in after eight years of the "foreign" black man. What a fuc*ing joke. Our citizens are a bunch of spoiled, petulant children, and elected a mirror image. The country is in good shape right now, let's hope it remains so while Congress slogs through the process of finding the evidence to impeach this idiot before Putin does irreparable damage to democracy, or worse, launches a surprise nuclear attack.

Our country has become so spoiled, entitled, fat, rich, and complacent, that we are going to allow a traitor to assume the office of President of the United States. It is truly amazing. We elected him to change the "horrible" condition we find ourselves in after eight years of the "foreign" black man. What a fuc*ing joke. Our citizens are a bunch of spoiled, petulant children, and elected a mirror image. The country is in good shape right now, let's hope it remains so while Congress slogs through the process of finding the evidence to impeach this idiot before Putin does irreparable damage to democracy, or worse, launches a surprise nuclear attack.
Speaking of spoiled petulant children and a fuc*ing joke. Let this be illustration 1A.

Reactions: iubud
Speaking of spoiled petulant children and a fuc*ing joke. Let this be illustration 1A.

Have you completely abandoned the foreign policy positions of every US President of this century? Do you no longer care about our security? Or, do you trust our security in the hands of Putin? Is Putin that attractive to you, and democracy a quaint thing of the past that is no longer viable today? It's a curious thing that the Democrat party is now having to take responsibility for our security, to protect against the domestic radical right. It's like the sixties in reverse.

Reactions: sglowrider
Have you completely abandoned the foreign policy positions of every US President of this century? Do you no longer care about our security? Or, do you trust our security in the hands of Putin? Is Putin that attractive to you, and democracy a quaint thing of the past that is no longer viable today? It's a curious thing that the Democrat party is now having to take responsibility for our security, to protect against the domestic radical right. It's like the sixties in reverse.
No one is entrusting our security to Putin. That's pure hyperbolic overreaction.

Link

Is this the kind of irrelevant, stupid and excessively picky baloney we can expect from the Democrats for the entire Trump term of office? Good grief. Trumpalarmism is destroying what little intellectual capacity the Democrats and liberals have left. Believe me, there will be important things with which to criticize Trump. Thus Trump/Putin thing is not one of them.

Putin said Hillary behaved in an undignified manner after the election. A very reasonable and supportable opinion. Trump agreed. That is not praise for Putin no matter what WaPo says. I've got some news for you. I agreed with Hillary on a number of different issues during the campaign, and said so here. But if you think I praised her, you'd be dead wrong.

Moreover, the Democrats and liberals seem totally incapable of understanding how Trump, Tillerson, and Putin can reach mutual agreement on different things and still strongly disagree on others. This is typical and an important attribute in effective leadership. Many liberals, including the incumbent POTUS, simply can't understand this point. Trump and Tillerson's ability to talk to Putin on a personal and in a business manner is a good thing not bad.

This Trump/Traitor baloney further reveals the naiveté and ignorance of Democrats. You all do understand the Russia supports our space program in very important ways don't you? We couldn't launch many of our rockets without Russian rocket motors. This is the Direct result of Obama's spending and budget priorities. Will the liberals call Obama a traitor for striking expensive and vital business deals with Putin and Russia? And don't forget the world, which includes the US btw, is totally dependent on Russia to use the very expensive International Space Station.

So keep up your liberal Trump/Putin freak out. All you do is show a juvenile and naive way of thinking about how things work.

No one is entrusting our security to Putin. That's pure hyperbolic overreaction.

I'm not trying to be hyperbolic. I'm not, and I truly hope I'm wrong. I trust Putin less than I trusted the old Soviet leaders, and I don't trust Trump's judgement at all. I'm not saying I think Trump is a conscious traitor to his country. I don't think he is, in fact. But I do have concerns about his Russian business dealings putting him in an uncompromising position to the point of possible treasonous actions. More importantly, I think he is a geopolitical buffoon, that Putin will use to maximum advantage.

Last edited:
Is this the kind of irrelevant, stupid and excessively picky baloney we can expect from the Democrats for the entire Trump term of office? Good grief. Trumpalarmism is destroying what little intellectual capacity the Democrats and liberals have left. Believe me, there will be important things with which to criticize Trump. Thus Trump/Putin thing is not one of them.

Putin said Hillary behaved in an undignified manner after the election. A very reasonable and supportable opinion. Trump agreed. That is not praise for Putin no matter what WaPo says. I've got some news for you. I agreed with Hillary on a number of different issues during the campaign, and said so here. But if you think I praised her, you'd be dead wrong.

Moreover, the Democrats and liberals seem totally incapable of understanding how Trump, Tillerson, and Putin can reach mutual agreement on different things and still strongly disagree on others. This is typical and an important attribute in effective leadership. Many liberals, including the incumbent POTUS, simply can't understand this point. Trump and Tillerson's ability to talk to Putin on a personal and in a business manner is a good thing not bad.

This Trump/Traitor baloney further reveals the naiveté and ignorance of Democrats. You all do understand the Russia supports our space program in very important ways don't you? We couldn't launch many of our rockets without Russian rocket motors. This is the Direct result of Obama's spending and budget priorities. Will the liberals call Obama a traitor for striking expensive and vital business deals with Putin and Russia? And don't forget the world, which includes the US btw, is totally dependent on Russia to use the very expensive International Space Station.

So keep up your liberal Trump/Putin freak out. All you do is show a juvenile and naive way of thinking about how things work.
Spare us your lectures. It is quite appalling that "our" President takes the side of the Russians against a majority of his own citizens. Trump HAS praised Putin on multiple occasions. You and the Repubs are so stuck in a reflexive anti-liberal partisan stance enjoying the discomfort of liberals that you don't apparently see your own house is on fire too. But you have been studiously shutting your ears to alarms of all sorts for years, most prominently human induced climate change.

Reactions: meridian

You've spent eight years giving this board nothing but reactionary partisan hackery. Even if OP is overreacting, you are the wrong teacher for this lesson.

Spare us your lectures. It is quite appalling that "our" President takes the side of the Russians against a majority of his own citizens. Trump HAS praised Putin on multiple occasions. You and the Repubs are so stuck in a reflexive anti-liberal partisan stance enjoying the discomfort of liberals that you don't apparently see your own house is on fire too. But you have been studiously shutting your ears to alarms of all sorts for years, most prominently human induced climate change.

Seriously, I don't see the problem with Trump's agreement with Putin on a few issues. I think his "praise" as you describe is over stated as shown by the WaPo article in the OP and also during the campaign when Trump said Putin was a effective leader (Putin is consistent and decisive). Obama praised and cozied up to the Muslim Brotherhood too. While I probably criticized him for that, I didn't think he was a traitor for doing it. Each POTUS has foreign policy priorities and achieves those by establishing relationships with other leaders. So what?

You've spent eight years giving this board nothing but reactionary partisan hackery. Even if OP is overreacting, you are the wrong teacher for this lesson.

Hm. The great majority of your posts in response to me are about me. I think reactionary partisan hackery is more interesting than reactionary personal hackery.

Reactions: Lucy01
MODS!
PLEASE do not can this this thread. PLEASE leave it up, so it can be bumped to the top as needed.

Reactions: Morrison and Lucy01
I'm not trying to be hyperbolic. I'm not, and I truly hope I'm wrong. I trust Putin less than I trusted the old Soviet leaders, and I don't trust Trump's judgement at all. I'm not saying I think Trump is a conscious traitor to his country. I don't think he is, in fact. But I do have concerns about his Russian business dealings putting him in an uncompromising position to the point of possible treasonous actions. More importantly, I think he is a geopolitical buffoon, that Putin will use to maximum advantage.
When did your mistrust of Putin begin? Obama laughed at Romney when it was suggested that Russia posed the biggest geo-political threat in 2011. Most outside the Democratic party knew not to trust a former KGB leader and Russia. Obama also didn't have the proper level of understanding of the threat ISIS posed when he called them the JV.

We may not trust Putin, but we better respect what he can do and work with them when we can.

When did your mistrust of Putin begin? Obama laughed at Romney when it was suggested that Russia posed the biggest geo-political threat in 2011. Most outside the Democratic party knew not to trust a former KGB leader and Russia. Obama also didn't have the proper level of understanding of the threat ISIS posed when he called them the JV.

We may not trust Putin, but we better respect what he can do and work with them when we can.

When did anyone trust Putin? It should have been fairly obvious during various russian "elections" that Putin was not a man to be trusted. Or the numerous international assassinations.

As someone not working in foreign intelligence I had no idea that Russia was actively subverting us in such an aggressive and brazen manner. Did you? (I also follow Russia fairly closely)

I would argue that the Democrats look silly for ignoring the Russian threat, and the Republicans look greedy, if not evil. The GOP historically has been the anti-Russia party... now the Russians help the GOP and suddenly Putin is a good guy. It's shameful actually. Political opportunism.

My distrust for Putin began back when George W declared he looked into Putin's soul, and found him to be just fine. Putin looked confused, because he has no soul. Just kidding, kind of. Obama was playing politics when Romney made the claim that Putin posed the biggest geopolitical threat. Romney was correct, and I like to think Obama privately agreed as he has been pretty tough on Putin. Obama missed the boat on ISIS, and made a huge mistake with his "line in the sand" statement about Syria's use of chemical weapons. That statement showed Putin something about Obama, when we did nothing after Syria then used chemical weapons. Obama was fighting a perception of weakness ever since. That is why Trump's reckless use of statements is even more dangerous. He's all over the place with bluster, and doesn't seem to understand the consequences.

Reactions: Bill4411
When did anyone trust Putin?
If I recall correctly, Americans used to mistrust/hate Putin universally, the Republicans much more so than the Democrats.

So, this sudden new love affair began when Mr. Trump started saying nice things about him. Same goes with our Republican friends in the Watercooler. It's amazing how one man can change the haters of Communism into admirers overnight, so to speak.

Qualification: is Russia still considered a comminist state? If not, please change it to Putinism. :(

If I recall correctly, Americans used to mistrust/hate Putin universally, the Republicans much more so than the Democrats.

So, this sudden new love affair began when Mr. Trump started saying nice things about him. Same goes with our Republican friends in the Watercooler. It's amazing how one man can change the haters of Communism into admirers overnight, so to speak.

Qualification: is Russia still considered a comminist state? If not, please change it to Putinism. :(

No it's not communist. Last I checked it was a hybrid-regime. You can google that if you care to. Haven't read anything too scholarly on Russia in at a least a couple years.

I w

Which Republican 'friends' are you referring to? Don't recall admiring posts directed toward Putin from Republicans/non-progressives on this board......maybe over on GAB?

The country is in good shape right now, let's hope it remains so while Congress slogs through the process of finding the evidence to impeach this idiot before Putin does irreparable damage to democracy, or worse, launches a surprise nuclear attack.
First of all, according to the cons, the country is not in good shape. It's in a terrible shape because of the Kenyan man at the top.:rolleyes:

Secondly, both chambers of the congress are in the hands of Trumpites. They are not going to do anything of the things you suggest.

First of all, according to the cons, the country is not in good shape. It's in a terrible shape because of the Kenyan man at the top.:rolleyes:

Secondly, both chambers of the congress are in the hands of Trumpites. They are not going to do anything of the things you suggest.
You are simply going to have to practice this trolling thing you're attempting! You're not very good at it

When did anyone trust Putin? It should have been fairly obvious during various russian "elections" that Putin was not a man to be trusted. Or the numerous international assassinations.

As someone not working in foreign intelligence I had no idea that Russia was actively subverting us in such an aggressive and brazen manner. Did you? (I also follow Russia fairly closely)

I would argue that the Democrats look silly for ignoring the Russian threat, and the Republicans look greedy, if not evil. The GOP historically has been the anti-Russia party... now the Russians help the GOP and suddenly Putin is a good guy. It's shameful actually. Political opportunism.
Correction - the GOP has historically been anti-Communist, not anti-Russia. Also don't paint with a broad brush. I don't think Putin is any more of a good guy now than he way 4, 5, 8 years ago. I don't think most Republicans think he's a "good guy" either.

Correction - the GOP has historically been anti-Communist, not anti-Russia. Also don't paint with a broad brush. I don't think Putin is any more of a good guy now than he way 4, 5, 8 years ago. I don't think most Republicans think he's a "good guy" either.

They didn't like Russia either, but I'll concede anti-communist for the sake of this thread. I'm talking about various republican officials who have made complimentary remarks toward Putin. There is absolutely nothing to compliment him for. And about Republicans at large, most continue to dislike Putin, however IIRC Trump has moved the needle by 20+% toward Putin. That's not insignificant.

I personally am extremely troubled by remarks Trump has made about Putin, Erdogan, and Nazerbayev.

Nevertheless, after the impression Putin was pro-Trump became a media narrative, Republicans' net favorable rating for him jumped from -66 to -10. By comparison, Republicans currently hold a -64 favorability of Obama.

There you go - Republicans don't like Communists or Socialists. ;)
Be as coy as you want, but that's a dramatic shift in a short period of time. Either a large portion of Republicans suddenly began to realize they actually like the Communist-turned-oligarch who still believes in a strong central government control of both economy and culture, or their partisanship is so strong that the simple fact Putin was viewed as anti-Hillary was more important than any other considerations.

Neither possibility is especially flattering.

Be as coy as you want, but that's a dramatic shift in a short period of time. Either a large portion of Republicans suddenly began to realize they actually like the Communist-turned-oligarch who still believes in a strong central government control of both economy and culture, or their partisanship is so strong that the simple fact Putin was viewed as anti-Hillary was more important than any other considerations.

What the masses believe is sometimes unflattering. There was a point during GWB's Presidency when more Democrats thought GWB was more dangerous than OBL. I have no love for Trump, Putin . . or HRC. This was an awful election and we were going to have a crap sandwich at the end no matter what. The HRC crap sandwich might have had some better seasonings or toppings on it to try to cover up the fact that it was a crap sandwich too.

I don't think it's either. I think it's simply because Trump started saying good things about Putin. There are plenty of sheep (morons) out there who will parrot whatever trump says or does. If tomorrow Trump starts saying positive things about Kim Jong Un I would suspect you would see a similar shift given time.

I think all this Trump/Putin love-fest talk is batshit crazy. Every bit of it. Trump has said or proposed exactly nothing that should give Putin any measure of comfort in foreign policy. In fact, Trump has done precisely the opposite. He been very vocal and pointed about tearing up the Iran nuke deal, a deal that Putin strongly supports. In fact Putin and Obama worked and in hand in getting this deal done. Does anybody want to claim that Obama is also Putin's lap dog? In recent history, Obama has put his arms around a hugged the Muslim Brotherhood. Nobody got their panties in a bundle over that one either, even though the Muslim Brotherhood are bad guys worse than Putin. (The MB opposed Sadat (and probably killed him) who is the person most responsible for what measure of peace there is between Israel and the Arab Muslims today.)

I already noted that Putin is the sole supplier of our rocket motors for much of our space program and that we and the world depend on Putin to use the Space Station. Like it or not, we ARE in business with Putin and I'm glad that Trump and Tillerson will be looking our for our interests instead of Hillary.

There likely will be plenty of reasons to criticize Trump in the coming years, but this Putin stuff is simply Trumpalarmism and is only mentioned because the Democrats and leftists are tripping all over themselves trying to blame anybody but themselves for Tump winning the election.

I think all this Trump/Putin love-fest talk is batshit crazy. Every bit of it. Trump has said or proposed exactly nothing that should give Putin any measure of comfort in foreign policy. In fact, Trump has done precisely the opposite. He been very vocal and pointed about tearing up the Iran nuke deal, a deal that Putin strongly supports. In fact Putin and Obama worked and in hand in getting this deal done. Does anybody want to claim that Obama is also Putin's lap dog? In recent history, Obama has put his arms around a hugged the Muslim Brotherhood. Nobody got their panties in a bundle over that one either, even though the Muslim Brotherhood are bad guys worse than Putin. (The MB opposed Sadat (and probably killed him) who is the person most responsible for what measure of peace there is between Israel and the Arab Muslims today.)

I already noted that Putin is the sole supplier of our rocket motors for much of our space program and that we and the world depend on Putin to use the Space Station. Like it or not, we ARE in business with Putin and I'm glad that Trump and Tillerson will be looking our for our interests instead of Hillary.

There likely will be plenty of reasons to criticize Trump in the coming years, but this Putin stuff is simply Trumpalarmism and is only mentioned because the Democrats and leftists are tripping all over themselves trying to blame anybody but themselves for Tump winning the election.
None of those sentences are even remotely related to my post. Did you respond to the wrong person on accident?

None of those sentences are even remotely related to my post. Did you respond to the wrong person on accident?

Actually I could have posted it in the thread without responding to any particular post--and probably should have. The tone and tenor of the thread is a Putin/Trump love fest. Your postings support the general idea.

Edit: Do you have a comment about the merits?

Actually attempting to get rid of the nuke deal would play directly into Putin's hands. We are in fact already playing into his hands by not allowing american companies to take a piece of the $ pie.

As to Putin at large, there is absolutely nothing he should be complimented for. This is a man who imprisons and assassinates political and business opponents. The fact that you are comfortable with Trump's compliments of him is downright frightening and deserves an explanation.

It's the same kind of BS you've posted for the last 8 years. Use your freedom and liberty to go elsewhere if you can't take it.

For the spineless who anonymously delete...

Republicans have been warming to Putin long before Trump. I am baffled by this development other than Putin is not liberal but reactionary and runs Russia like a mafia Don. A lot of people apparently feel more secure with a strongman and don't like to be confused with complexity but prefer short, simple answers.

Reactions: meridian
Trump's infatuation with Putin is less about Putin and more about Trump's ego. Anyone who compliments Trump receives praise in return.

On the flip side, it is comical to watch many on the Left suddenly up in arms about our executive branch speaking kindly with dictators. The same people throwing a fit now were giving President Obama props for "starting a dialogue" with the Castro regime.

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT