ADVERTISEMENT

Truly unbelievable

Biden messed up the execution of the withdrawal. That is 100% on Joe Biden and his administration. I don't fault them at all with wanting to leave Afghanistan, I want to leave Afghanistan. However, the execution and planning of this mission is entirely on him. He has been in charge for 7 months and could have pulled the plug on anything that looked like a bad idea at any time. He didn't. That's on him.

I think Trump's admin would have handled it better, but that is not even what I am arguing. I am arguing that the way Biden handled this has sucked. I think Obama would have handled better. I think Clinton would have handled better. I am arguing that it would take a whole bunch of effort to handle this more poorly than Biden. I also would argue that Bush, Clinton, W., and Obama would have been much more out in front of this screw up than Joe has been.

Is America toast because of this? No, but Joe has hurt our standing in the world much more than people like you who spent 4 arguing "Trump bad" are ever going to be willing to admit. That is all on Joe.
Why should anyone admit harm from Biden's execution of the withdrawal? You never owned up to the extensive, and lasting, harm that Trump did as Prez, including gutting the government that Biden inherited from Trump.

Don't believe me? Read The Fifth Risk. Trump wasn't a zero . . . he defined negative results . . . largely because of his apathy and antipathy toward government.

Biden at least answered press conference questions directly . . . Trump would simply have blamed someone else.

You are ridiculous if you think trump wouldn't have done better. Pure moronic!

You're a dumbo if you think Trump would have done any better. There is no evidence to back up that thought process mr. i'm not a big trump supporter but I'll make up wild fantasies about how good he would have done.

So we're clear, you don't have a defense and as I said, all you are here to do is post 1 and 2 sentence posts that are the equivalent of flinging poo.

So...you don't have it in you. Perhaps you should be the one on one of the rah rah sports boards. You are way out of your depth here.

Hard to keep track of the complaint train from some of my conservative brethren here as cosmic constantly gets the TL/DR refrain from most. If that's the line in the sand you draw, you have a lot of work to do on both sides of the aisle. I'll be looking for your posts sending all of the 1 and 2 sentence posters to the rah rah sports boards. With this new edict of more content, I'm assuming I'll be seeing you over on the rah rah sports boards with me. ;)

This all would have happened no matter who won last November. That should be obvious to anyone with a pulse. That doesn't let Biden off the hook, but anyone pretending Trump would have magically done better is delusional.
No magic needed - just common sense.

You don't take soldiers out before civilians. I don't know why that's such a difficult concept. And, since Biden did that, it's 100% on him.

To suggest there was no other way out is just ignorance.

And he still ****ed up the withdrawal and still was opposed to going in and taking out the one reason we were in Afghanistan to begin with.

You are correct that the VP does not get much say but that was still his team...and honestly that is such a small part of this. Everyone from George W. forward has a part to play in what went wrong in Afghanistan. However, 1 guy was the decider on hiw this withdrawal would play out and that is Joe. And it played out about as terribly as it could.

Stop trying to defend the indefensible. This isn't about Trump. It isn't about leaving. It is about pulling the military out before civilians. It is about abandoning the most defensible airbase in the dead of the night a month before bugging out the rest of our personnel. It is about handing the Taliban the names of people who worked with us. It is not notifying allies that we're out. It is ignoring calls from world leaders for over a day while the shit is hitting the fan. It is about all of that stuff culminating in getting 13 service members killed because they were forced into a terribly indefensible position. All that is on Joe and has nothing to do with anything else that anyone is wanting to bring up as a "look over there" type of exercise.

Biden blew the withdrawal. Period.
I can't believe anyone is still arguing that the withdrawal process is not 100% Biden's fault.

Reactions: td75 and 76-1
My take is that if you're not willing to do the heavy lifting, you ought not send someone else in to do it for you.

The objection I have is the blitheness to your sending troops into harms way . . . it was almost as if they were expendable things to you instead of human beings.

Are you turning into Joe Biden?

I literally said "Let's see how much fight Joe has in him" and you construed that into "let's send a bunch of troops into harms way".

I thought lawyers could read?

Reactions: DANC
Just so we’re clear the position of the Democrats in this thread is.

“Yes, Biden ****ed up bad, really bad, and you’re free to criticize his tactic’s, but don’t you dare say Trump would have likely done better, even though it’s reasonable to assume that his tactics would have been better, but in the end the result would have been the same”

Reactions: td75, 76-1 and DANC
I'm not making assumptions about tactics. Just results. But, as Marvin pointed out, if we wanted to avoid the rush to get out Americans and allies, we needed to start the evacuation before Biden took office, so we know Trump would have made at least some of the same mistakes.

That said, be clear. I was responding to the numerous posters who have made it a point to proclaim "Trump never would have allowed this."
What evidence do you have that Trump didn't start an evacuation.

You know - a quiet, organized evacuation. Biden has had 8 months to start an evacuation long before he did.

You're doing nothing but making excuses for Biden and, although I'm not surprised, you do like to present yourself as someone who's fair. So much for that claim.

Are you turning into Joe Biden?

I literally said "Let's see how much fight Joe has in him" and you construed that into "let's send a bunch of troops into harms way".

I thought lawyers could read?
Uh-huh . . . goading a man to fight . . . while you sit on the sidelines.

And can't own up to it . . . .

Reactions: Bill4411
Not quite. Trump's exit strategy was not a hard May 1, but conditions based. If the Taliban failed to meet the conditions, then the date would change.

Eh....those articles basically say that they were counting what ended up happening not actually happening. There was a whole lot of 'don't blame us, our plan would have gone perfectly' running through those quotes and comments.

Maybe the Trump administration would have handled things better. Maybe it would have been worse. No one will know.

Uh-huh . . . goading a man to fight . . . while you sit on the sidelines.

And can't own up to it . . . .
Let’s take a straw poll of the troops locked behind the walls of Kabul Airport and see if general consensus is they would like to go crack some skulls.

Those crazy MF’ers are over there so JDB doesn’t have to.

No magic needed - just common sense.

You don't take soldiers out before civilians. I don't know why that's such a difficult concept. And, since Biden did that, it's 100% on him.

To suggest there was no other way out is just ignorance.
Trump had the Taliban bottled up in their caves for more than a year, from February 2020 until this spring. He did that with drones, F16’s and helicopters based at Bagram and elsewhere. After the inauguration, the Taliban tested Biden with offensive operations in remote areas. Biden failed the test. Then Biden skedaddled from Bagram and all other smaller basis. Then all hell broke loose. Bagram should have been the very last place abandoned, not the first. Trump said yesterday, that he wouldn’t have left Bagram at all under these conditions. Don’t necessarily believe him, but we do know that all decisions in the first 5 months of the Biden presidency are 100% Biden (or Susan Rice). None of this chaos is the result of any decision Trump made last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: td75, 76-1 and DANC
Then leave Trump out of it and just say Biden is a complete joke. The problem is the joke cost 13 members of the military their lives today.
It's hard to leave Trump out of it when half the posts in this thread are assuring everyone that Trump wouldn't have let the withdraw happen the way it did. And to restate my disclaimer, that's not a defense of the way the Biden Administration handled things.

It's weird to say 'Trump would have handled this seamlessly' while also saying 'leave Trump out of it'.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Eh....those articles basically say that they were counting what ended up happening not actually happening. There was a whole lot of 'don't blame us, our plan would have gone perfectly' running through those quotes and comments.

Maybe the Trump administration would have handled things better. Maybe it would have been worse. No one will know.

No. Those articles do not say that. They are pretty specific about the conditions based reasons for withdrawal.

But I agree, we will never know. But like I have posted, I am pretty sure Trump would not give up names to the Taliban. So I don't think Trump could have been worse based on that fact alone.

It's hard to leave Trump out of it when half the posts in this thread are assuring everyone that Trump wouldn't have let the withdraw happen the way it did. And to restate my disclaimer, that's not a defense of the way the Biden Administration handled things.

It's weird to say 'Trump would have handled this seamlessly' while also saying 'leave Trump out of it'.

They mean "hold on, you're interrupting my biden bashing that is totally legit because my guy would have done it so much better because he is the GOAT of presidents."

Last edited:
Trump had the Taliban bottled up in their caves for more than a year, from February 2020 until this spring.

Do you type with a straight face? Insurgent attacks surged multifold after the abortion was signed in Doha with the release of 5,000 battle hardened terrorists. Please do some basic research. The doha agreement was the beginning of the end.

What evidence do you have that Trump didn't start an evacuation.

You know - a quiet, organized evacuation. Biden has had 8 months to start an evacuation long before he did.

You're doing nothing but making excuses for Biden and, although I'm not surprised, you do like to present yourself as someone who's fair. So much for that claim.
Did he start an evacuation? Did Biden halt it?

I'm not defending Biden at all, and that so many of you can't grasp that speaks to your biases, not mine.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Did he start an evacuation? Did Biden halt it?

I'm not defending Biden at all, and that so many of you can't grasp that speaks to your biases, not mine.
I don't know - you're the one who said an evacuation should have started immediately after the deal was signed.

I assume you have evidence that that didn't happen?

You're a dumbo if you think Trump would have done any better. There is no evidence to back up that thought process mr. i'm not a big trump supporter but I'll make up wild fantasies about how good he would have done.
This seems to be a common theme in this thread:

"Trump would have handled this infinitely better than Biden"

"What would lead you to believe Trump would have handled this any better?"

"Leave Trump out of this!"

Just so we’re clear the position of the Democrats in this thread is.

“Yes, Biden ****ed up bad, really bad, and you’re free to criticize his tactic’s, but don’t you dare say Trump would have likely done better, even though it’s reasonable to assume that his tactics would have been better, but in the end the result would have been the same”
I think you are misreading the room. The way I read it:
1. GOP - Biden messed up.
2. Dems - Biden did mess up. It's been a ticking time bomb since Bush.
3. GOP - Wrong...this is all on Biden. He is the president.
4. Dems - He is the president. He messed up an already terrible situation.
5. GOP - Trump had it all set up to go perfectly. He would have done it without flaw.
6. Dems - Based on what evidence? Trump showed plenty of times he was a screw-up.
7. GOP - Why do you keep bringing Trump into it. He's gone.

Do you type with a straight face? Insurgent attacks surged multifold after the abortion was signed in Doha with the release of 5,000 battle hardened terrorists. Please do some basic research. The doha agreement was the beginning of the end.

Biden abandoned Bagram July 2. The April 2021 Map is about the same as the February 2020 map. Yeah, Trump kept the Taliban in place. Biden did not.
e30ec520-feaf-11eb-8fe5-8dcfc3a21902
map-large.b9ec3d5.png

5. GOP - Trump had it all set up to go perfectly. He would have done it without flaw.
6. Dems - Based on what evidence? Trump showed plenty of times he was a screw-up.
Nah my version is correct. You guys are conceding Biden’s tactics sucked and dispelling any notion that the Trump admin wouldn’t have done things so cavalierly based on pretty much nothing but resentment for Trump.

Reactions: mcmurtry66 and DANC
Nah my version is correct. You guys are conceding Biden’s tactics sucked and dispelling any notion that the Trump admin wouldn’t have done things so cavalierly based on pretty much nothing but resentment for Trump.
Actually, my argument is very different than Hickory's. When I say there's no reason to think it would have been any better under Trump, it has nothing to do with Trump. I think it played out pretty much the way it would have under any president.

No, I'm just shocked someone would resort to the most basic of all logical fallacies.
I don't see the logical fallacy.

You said the withdrawal should have begun the day the deal was signed.

How do you know it wasn't started then?

It's a simple question. If you know, then state why. If you don't know, just say you don't know.

But you always do this - when a question is presented that shows you are talking out your ass, you claim the questioner isn't 'logical'.

Everyone see it - you're not fooling anyone.

Biden abandoned Bagram July 2. The April 2021 Map is about the same as the February 2020 map. Yeah, Trump kept the Taliban in place. Biden did not.
map-large.b9ec3d5.png
Simply saying 'Trump kept the Taliban in place. Biden did not' seems to leave out a pretty important piece of information. Are you suggesting that Biden shouldn't have initiated the withdraw?

I'm not a military strategist, but I'd have to think that the April 2021 map would look very similar to the August 2021 map had we not withdrawn.

Have you read dmbhoosier's posts? He basically paints a picture of Trump in a cape and red tights flying in to save the day.

map-large.b9ec3d5.png
Simply saying 'Trump kept the Taliban in place. Biden did not' seems to leave out a pretty important piece of information. Are you suggesting that Biden shouldn't have initiated the withdraw?

I'm not a military strategist, but I'd have to think that the April 2021 map would look very similar to the August 2021 map had we not withdrawn.

Here are the "facts".

There is a reason why the map shifted abruptly. The Taliban were applying a slow squeeze. The Afghan government was in control of districts on paper only. Moreover, some of the districts have 3,000 people. Hardly the best metric.

Reactions: UncleMark
Have you read dmbhoosier's posts? He basically paints a picture of Trump in a cape and red tights flying in to save the day.
It's weird to me how sensitive Trump supporters are to anything that doesn't jibe with the Trump, King of Awesome narrative. Literally anything that doesn't polish the Trump turd of a presidency is viewed as being blinded by hate.

It's only a matter of time before one of the MAGA followers makes a "Leave Britney Alone" video similar to that one that dude made for Britney Spears all those years ago.

You should probably go back and read the posts. Post #6 by Hick was the first Trump reference as a yabut. Then Cosmic on post #14 posted Trump to blame book. Only then did td75 reply Trump would not have done this badly. Then more "MAY 1!!!!!" yelping by Hick.

Then goat said it wouldn't have mattered who was President in post on post 109 thus opening the speculation if it would have been better under Trump.

So you need to adjust your timeline.

Not at all. I am saying what I said. Biden failed the Taliban spring challenge and he stupidly gave up Bagram way too early. Biden bragged in July that the Afghan military had things in hand and our withdrawal would not be like Saigon. Someday we will know why Biden left Bagram in the middle of the night without telling our Afghan or NATO allies. For now, that is the biggest blunder of the 21st century. People should be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT