ADVERTISEMENT

Tronti Gone

It's probably best to read the whole thread before pontificating. The poster in question first stated that our QB, without an IU offer, would have been "bound for the MAC." That's not an opinion. It's factually erroneous and unfairly casts the kid in a bad light. The poster deserved to be called out for this.

Never one to admit a mistake, though, he wouldn't let it go. Subsequent comments about the QB included claims that he's a "MAC-level guy," "not P5 material," and "can't win in the Big Ten."

I haven't looked at the board rules in a while, but I'm virtually certain that shots like this against a current player are not permitted. And, just as an FYI, this poster has been banned at least a dozen times in the past year, under an assortment of user names, for inappropriate posts, so there's a pattern here.
Yet another poster said far worse about Tronti, and you didn't protest in any way. I've violated no forum rules whatsoever. You're offended because I've simply offered an opinion different than your own, and this is your way of attempting to shut that down. It's nothing more than that, regardless of your false excuses. Please stop cluttering the board with this nonsense.

Yet another poster said far worse about Tronti, and you didn't protest in any way. I've violated no forum rules whatsoever. You're offended because I've simply offered an opinion different than your own, and this is your way of attempting to shut that down. It's nothing more than that, regardless of your false excuses. Please stop cluttering the board with this nonsense.
Your demeaning comments, which I've quoted verbatim, are beyond the pale. You slammed this kid, and it's reprehensible.

Your demeaning comments, which I've quoted verbatim, are beyond the pale. You slammed this kid, and it's reprehensible.
That's ridiculous and entirely untrue. Please stop the personal attacks, which are blatantly dishonest. Another poster offered a far more critical view of Ramsey's abilities, yet you managed to offer a fairly reasoned response rather than the attacks you've perpetrated on my posts.

Please stop cluttering the board with this nonsense.

There are people who post here who aren't IU fans.
Please be specific who and why you think this. Your emotions are showing a deep grudge against certain people with a different outlook on what they think and perceive. Getting worked up over a message board over trivial things won't do you any good. Why won't you allow others to have their say, and try to understand from a different angle, instead of playing a board bully?

Bowl, I did read his posts. Nothing but his opinion. You may say facts are being asserted, but I believe most folks understand that saying a guy is a MAC talent is an opinion. It is an opinion about a players talent. By the way, the attacks were not from him. Some frequent posters didn't like his position and then attacked his opinion (fine) and him (not fine), It is sad that people can't see other opinions and debate without taking an attitude. By the way, I have been around since 2004, I know this board's history. For years, it was a quality board where folks could respectfully disagree. Who you think the poster might be has nothing to do with the current thread. I believe the real problem is a few folks believe they own this board now and only opinions in line with theirs should exists. That is my opinion and based upon conversations with a couple other board folks, I don't think I am alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriselli
Bowl, I did read his posts. Nothing but his opinion. You may say facts are being asserted, but I believe most folks understand that saying a guy is a MAC talent is an opinion. It is an opinion about a players talent. By the way, the attacks were not from him. Some frequent posters didn't like his position and then attacked his opinion (fine) and him (not fine), It is sad that people can't see other opinions and debate without taking an attitude. By the way, I have been around since 2004, I know this board's history. For years, it was a quality board where folks could respectfully disagree. Who you think the poster might be has nothing to do with the current thread. I believe the real problem is a few folks believe they own this board now and only opinions in line with theirs should exists. That is my opinion and based upon conversations with a couple other board folks, I don't think I am alone.

I too think differing opinions are fine. The only caveat is when a poster indicates things that are not true. Look at it this way: a poster can say “I don’t believe Player A is a Power 5 quality player.”

Perfectly reasonable.
An opinion that states a belief the poster has about the kid’s skill set. I’m fine with that. It’s an opinion.

However, stated this way:
Ramsey was a two star kid bound for the Mac.”
That is a poster typing a factual statement. And facts are statements that have evidence of proof. That statement is false. There is no proof that Ramsey was bound for the MAC. He took unofficial visits to Penn State and Illinois. He was offered by 2 ACC teams. He did also have offers from MAC schools (by the way, there have been some really good QBs in the MAC that could wipe the floor with P5 guys).
Making an affirmative statement that he was bound for the MAC is an attempt to inject one’s opinion as a purported fact against the options that were in sitting out there for the kid.

That’s really the one glaring thing I saw with the post. If he had phrased it differently, it would have been no more right or wrong than any other opinion expressed here.

That's ridiculous and entirely untrue. Please stop the personal attacks, which are blatantly dishonest. Another poster offered a far more critical view of Ramsey's abilities, yet you managed to offer a fairly reasoned response rather than the attacks you've perpetrated on my posts.

Please stop cluttering the board with this nonsense.

Well I'll attempt to help calm things down a bit (at least on this thread)...

I went back and reread the post that lead me to believe you were a pu fan and I stand corrected, I did misread your use of a word that read one way could make it sound like you were a fan of another program... My apologies...

What can I tell you..., I hate pu athletics and jumped to an erroneous conclusion...

None of this means that I agree with any of the negative stuff you posted about Ramsey, I don't. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this fall and in a very good way... Guys a winner..., and I'm very glad he's on our team...

Are you serious?? Reprehensible for saying a player is MAC level? You can disagree with him, and he is definitely wrong as far as what offers he got. But it is hardly reprehensible. Hate to hear what you say when someone actually does attack a kid.....

Are you serious?? Reprehensible for saying a player is MAC level? You can disagree with him, and he is definitely wrong as far as what offers he got. But it is hardly reprehensible. Hate to hear what you say when someone actually does attack a kid.....
I acknowledged the reported offers from UI, Wake and BC, so I wasn’t wrong about that, and I still think he was very likely MAC bound had he not chosen IU. He would hardly be the first IU kid who fit that description. Strange thread and, for the record, I hope Ramsey shoots the lights out and plays great. I just think there’s a reason they went after Dawkins so hard, and it wasn’t to be a backup or to fix the bottom of the depth chart.

Reactions: Flooded Timber
Read the Athlon’s article posted today rating Big Ten quarterbacks. Dawkins is their presumed starter, as well. As for Penix, I’m sure he’s very talented, but true freshmen rarely start as quarterbacks in major college football and, when they do, the growing pains can be severe.
athlon knows squat.

Well since we are throwing opinions around I guess I'll add mine to the mix. Tronti leaving had more to do with Penix passing him than Dawkins imminent arrival. He wasn't going to see the field here and he knew it. Dawkins's recruitment wasn't an indictment of Ramsey. We were thin on experience at qb and one play away from starting a true freshman. I think the staff would have rolled with Ramsey but injuries happen. That doesn't mean Dawkins might not start. Ramsey did a great job last season and played hurt for the majority of the games he started. No qb can win by themselves and until we get talent and experience built up around them anyone is going to have a rough row to hoe.

Well since we are throwing opinions around I guess I'll add mine to the mix. Tronti leaving had more to do with Penix passing him than Dawkins imminent arrival. He wasn't going to see the field here and he knew it. Dawkins's recruitment wasn't an indictment of Ramsey. We were thin on experience at qb and one play away from starting a true freshman. I think the staff would have rolled with Ramsey but injuries happen. That doesn't mean Dawkins might not start. Ramsey did a great job last season and played hurt for the majority of the games he started. No qb can win by themselves and until we get talent and experience built up around them anyone is going to have a rough row to hoe.
I don’t doubt that was a part of their thinking but it seems undeniable that they realized that they had to up the talent level, and Dawkins does that. It’s especially true when you consider that they likely saw the potential blowback (somebody would choose to leave), which will result in them being back to two scholarship qbs after this season, only one of whom is likely to have any game experience.

Last edited:
Last comment I'm going to make about this.

Yes, firing off multiple rounds of criticism against a current IU player on an IU board is a pretty shitty thing to do. And you can play it down all you want, but "bound for the MAC," "MAC-level talent," "can't win in the Big Ten" and "not P5 material" is, in my view, scathing and unfair criticism of a roster guy who has already played well - - in P5 play - - and is busting his ass to get better.

And here's the thing about this poster. It's never just one post. He doubles down and repeats the negativity in post after post, irrespective of the topic. He did that in this thread, he's done it in countless others, and he'll do it again until he self-destructs once again and is banned. You're hitching your wagon to the wrong guy.

You will get to see him play.....just not at Indiana.

All of this debate on the kid - he certainly has had a lot of success in the past. He will end up somewhere and be a starter, I bet. And then we will know if our coaching staff had it right, him being 4th string behind who we have now.

Yeah, but

I won't get to see him stomp Ahia State in a Hoosier uni

THAT was the dream.
That is ALWAYS the dream.

Last edited:
Yeah, butW

I won't get to see him stomp Ahia State in a Hoosier uni

THAT was the dream.
That is ALWAYS the dream.

Who is the WR getting in the way (I won't call it an actual block) of the O$U OLB - holding that guy up is what sprung that play.

Zander really had some wheels. I loved watching him play and his attitude. I hope his little brother comes here - we need a little more Hollywood!

Zander seemed to break away from even D backs.

thought he was one of the most under utilized offensive weapons at IU over my time. (and saw my 1st game at 10th st stadium).

possibly it was the concussion thing. if not, i would have made sure he touched the ball X number of times a game.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
Who is the WR getting in the way (I won't call it an actual block) of the O$U OLB - holding that guy up is what sprung that play.

Zander really had some wheels. I loved watching him play and his attitude. I hope his little brother comes here - we need a little more Hollywood!

Jordan Fuchs (81) and Ricky Jones (4)

Hollywood burned Sam Hubbard (6), the DE, and then ran through the safety arm tackle, then beat the far side DB to the end zone.

Elliott beat us on 3 Plays that day - all TDS - 55, 65 and 75

Well, I guess all is not as smooth in the QB room as we thought.

Very disappointing.
This is exactly what I thought would happen when we brought in a graduate transfer at the QB position. If Ramsey was a junior, Tronti a freshman and Penix was going to redshirt, this might have worked out. There would have been a gap that he could have established himself in the second half of his career. Playing this year was going to be difficult for Tronti. Next year he would have to beat Ramsey out and keep Penix behind him.

It will work out well. Penix can still redshirt. Ramsey and Dawkins can be the two QBs and Penix will fall into a good place and push Ramsey next year. Our roster has just balanced out nicely unless we bring another graduate transfer in next year

This is exactly what I thought would happen when we brought in a graduate transfer at the QB position. If Ramsey was a junior, Tronti a freshman and Penix was going to redshirt, this might have worked out. There would have been a gap that he could have established himself in the second half of his career. Playing this year was going to be difficult for Tronti. Next year he would have to beat Ramsey out and keep Penix behind him.

It will work out well. Penix can still redshirt. Ramsey and Dawkins can be the two QBs and Penix will fall into a good place and push Ramsey next year. Our roster has just balanced out nicely unless we bring another graduate transfer in next year
There shouldn't be any need for a grad transfer in 2019. Allen and staff just need to continue to recruit well at the position. They're off to a great start with Penix.

QB was one of the two glaring gaps in KW's recruiting success. Hopefully PR's development continues this season. While a better overall QB than RL, his arm skils have been limited to date. Love to have had the depth of Tronti, but he wants to play and that was not going to happen absent a lot of failures or injuries ahead of him. Best wishes.to a class kid.

Reactions: ESalum86
All just my opinion from watching him last year. Do you believe he gets IU to .500 or better in the BiG Ten? And why do you think Dawkins is the favorite to start, since he wouldn’t be at IU otherwise? Just my $.02 and not sure why this makes you mad. By the way, he was a Rivals 2 Star with offers from IU, Illinois, BC, Wake and MAC schools.

You pass off a lot of subjectivity as fact.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
You pass off a lot of subjectivity as fact.
Since "All just my opinion . . ." were the first four words of the post to which you responded, your reply really has no validity. But I realize not everyone here chooses to see the logic of the coaches, which is pretty obvious if you look at the results produced from that position and the limitations that are evident.

It just always seems to be “next year” for us.

Last year it was “Well we have Tronti, the FL Mr FB waiting in the wings”

This year it will be Penix.

What next? Will it ever work out?

Reactions: DANC

Yes, it will.

The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass everyday, and we ain't seen a ray of light in a while, but we climbed out of The Abyss, showed a little life with Hep, got kicked back to the edge of The Abyss when he died, struggled away a few steps with Lynch, got a little ways up the hill with Wilson, held our ground so far with Allen, and seem to have plugs for the holes and some upgrades.

We've gone from bottom dweller to middle-of-the-pack competitor.
Baby steps - but steps nonetheless.

This staff has shown signs of everything we need.

It has been a long time since the early 90's and II have felt we were going to have a strong offense and defense at the same time.

We are slowly getting more talented, but not enough to maintain our strength through graduation. We have moved up a rung on the ladder of success, but we haven't exceeded my expectations since Bill Mallory led the program.

I think our OL will be better and I believe our QB situation will be the best it has been in a while. I am concerned with our defense, but Allen hasn't had a bad defense since he has been here.

Which of the two QBs you've mentioned was a Rivals 4-star recruit? Who had the offer list that included Florida State, Oregon, South Florida, Tennessee and Rutgers?

Yeah, "wait 'til next year" has long been the mantra for IU fans, but you've come up with a bad example in an effort to support that reasoning today. This kind of a get (Penix) is evidence that we're trending up. To my knowledge, he's the first-ever 4* QB to sign with IU. That's a big effing deal.

Reactions: 76-1

“Well we have Tronti, the Mr FB waiting in the wings” comment is revisionist history, at best. There was not some ground swell of optimism that we had the next Heisman winner in our midst. I’m sure some people had “hopes” for Tronti ,but that was it. The kid was a 2 star who was committed to Charlotte. Again, the issue was that CKW left in December without having secured a QB commit, at that point most of the good ones are already locked up. CTA and staff were left to scramble for what was left.
As for Penix , he was a much more highly sought after QB, and from what I hear from people at practice, he has a chance to be real good.
The transition from HS to college ball always makes things interesting, but I will be disappointed if he doesn’t work out. (Not necessarily this year, but certainly next year)

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Which of the two QBs you've mentioned was a Rivals 4-star recruit? Who had the offer list that included Florida State, Oregon, South Florida, Tennessee and Rutgers?

Yeah, "wait 'til next year" has long been the mantra for IU fans, but you've come up with a bad example in an effort to support that reasoning today. This kind of a get (Penix) is evidence that we're trending up. To my knowledge, he's the first-ever 4* QB to sign with IU. That's a big effing deal.
Dave Schnell was a very highly rated QB in HS. He turned out to be a big effing deal.

I also remember when Trent Green announced for IU, and he was pretty highly rated, but I don't know what his 'star' rating would have been.

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
“Well we have Tronti, the Mr FB waiting in the wings” comment is revisionist history, at best. There was not some ground swell of optimism that we had the next Heisman winner in our midst. I’m sure some people had “hopes” for Tronti ,but that was it. The kid was a 2 star who was committed to Charlotte. Again, the issue was that CKW left in December without having secured a QB commit, at that point most of the good ones are already locked up. CTA and staff were left to scramble for what was left.
As for Penix , he was a much more highly sought after QB, and from what I hear from people at practice, he has a chance to be real good.
The transition from HS to college ball always makes things interesting, but I will be disappointed if he doesn’t work out. (Not necessarily this year, but certainly next year)

I also think that any optimism was relative to our recent experience with QBs. He was clearly a major step up from Diamont having the physical tools to have a chance to be a capable QB.

When sheer panic at the QB position had been the baseline mood, a moderate feeling of ease might get construed as excitement.

Dave Schnell was a very highly rated QB in HS. He turned out to be a big effing deal.

I also remember when Trent Green announced for IU, and he was pretty highly rated, but I don't know what his 'star' rating would have been.

As I recall, Sports Illustrated called Schnell the best player in the country. Now that was before most of the recruiting services even existed, but that's a "nice get" no matter how you look at it.

I only remember 3-4 players getting "big pub" as a recruit.
AT
Schnell
Vaughn Dunbar.
Barzilauskus
ARE - sorta
Hardy - for basketball

Levron was a biggie for me because of the area.
Alex Smith sorta got talked about because he was Mr. Football.

Mostly though, our guy get known for what they do AFTER they get here.

So far.

Two outstanding QBs, both before the star system.

If you thought I was dissing prior great QBs at IU (and you'd have to include Randle El in that category as well), you're mistaken and missed my point.

I agree it’s a big deal. But it was the same thing last year about Tronti.

“When’s the last time we landed a Florida Mr Football?”

I just did some quick research, and feel free to call me out on the accuracy of this information, but it appears that Nick was our second Florida Mr. Football. I don't remember the guy, but someone by the name of Frankie Franklin won Florida's Mr. Football in 1995, enrolled at Holmes College in Mississippi, and later transferred to IU. I don't know what position he played or, for that matter, if he ever saw game action at IU.

Not every Florida Mr. Football is Tim Tebow. The Mr. Football the year prior to NT went to Jones County Junior College and the Mr. Football the year after Tronti signed with Coastal Carolina.

The reality is that Nick dropped to 4th on the depth chart (with Penix jumping ahead of him) and knew he was never going to see the field at IU. I wish him the best wherever he ends up, and hope he kicks ass. The kid's got some skills.

As I recall, Sports Illustrated called Schnell the best player in the country. Now that was before most of the recruiting services even existed, but that's a "nice get" no matter how you look at it.

I only remember 3-4 players getting "big pub" as a recruit.
AT
Schnell
Vaughn Dunbar.
Barzilauskus
ARE - sorta
Hardy - for basketball

Levron was a biggie for me because of the area.
Alex Smith sorta got talked about because he was Mr. Football.

Mostly though, our guy get known for what they do AFTER they get here.

So far.
The only thing I knew about Antwaan was his brother, Curtis, who already played here and was a pretty good DB.

Most colleges wanted Antwaan as a DB or WR, so I don't think he was considered a major signing. Solid, but nothing extraordinary. Until, as you say, he hit the field as QB. He did red-shirt, which Mal loved to do.

AT for sure was a huge signing out of HS.. Mal talked that up, as well he should.

I still think Levron missed his calling as a LB. I don't think I've ever seen as hard a hit as I did when MSU intercepted ARE and Levron just smashed the guy and, I think, caused him to fumble. Levron was like a missile on that tackle. But he could hit the outside lanes when ARE pitched out to him!

Alex Smith - one of my all-time faves. But despite being Mr. Football, no one though he'd be that good because of his size - he just wasn't that big and a little on the thin side. But, as Mal said, he beat the "pee-willy" out of the first string Defense during his redshirt year.

Two outstanding QBs, both before the star system.

If you thought I was dissing prior great QBs at IU (and you'd have to include Randle El in that category as well), you're mistaken and missed my point.
I wasn't mistaken and didn't miss your point. Just pointing out that IU had signed a top-ranked QB in the past.

ARE was highly recruited by several top schools including Michigan...but as a DB, not a QB. He came to IU exclusively because he was offered the chance to compete for the starting spot at QB. During his tenure, my bosses wife was secretary to Mallory and I met ARE several times. He was a very special young man...biggest heart I've ever seen. But his issues never got solved and the team around him wasn't up to snuff causing him to force it in the 4th QT and make mistakes. Still the most exciting player to ever suit up in an IU uniform imo.

ARE was highly recruited by several top schools including Michigan...but as a DB, not a QB. He came to IU exclusively because he was offered the chance to compete for the starting spot at QB. During his tenure, my bosses wife was secretary to Mallory and I met ARE several times. He was a very special young man...biggest heart I've ever seen. But his issues never got solved and the team around him wasn't up to snuff causing him to force it in the 4th QT and make mistakes. Still the most exciting player to ever suit up in an IU uniform imo.

Like trying to tackle a ghost

Allen picked up Tronti who I think will be better than Ramsey. Then he picked up Penix who I think will be better than Tronti. Then he picked up Dawkins who is currently better than all of them. I’m not on the Allen bandwagon yet, but I think the QB room is getting better.

Allen picked up Tronti who I think will be better than Ramsey. Then he picked up Penix who I think will be better than Tronti. Then he picked up Dawkins who is currently better than all of them. I’m not on the Allen bandwagon yet, but I think the QB room is getting better.
You might want to review that Tronti prediction........ lol

I just wish the guy could win some football games.

I know, I know, we beat Illinois and Rutgers. I just wish we could beat some mid level teams too.

ADVERTISEMENT