ADVERTISEMENT

Tronti Gone

All just my opinion from watching him last year. Do you believe he gets IU to .500 or better in the BiG Ten? And why do you think Dawkins is the favorite to start, since he wouldn’t be at IU otherwise? Just my $.02 and not sure why this makes you mad. By the way, he was a Rivals 2 Star with offers from IU, Illinois, BC, Wake and MAC schools.
No, it's not opinion when you present something as fact (i.e. Ramsey was "bound for the MAC") that is categorically untrue.

Where in this thread did I claim that Dawkins is the favorite to start? (I didn't).

I think I liked you better as Marshamon, Block Charge Large, etc. Your opinions were suspect but you seemed to have a better grasp of the facts.

J
No, it's not opinion when you present something as fact (i.e. Ramsey was "bound for the MAC") that is categorically untrue.

Where in this thread did I claim that Dawkins is the favorite to start? (I didn't).

I think I liked you better as Marshamon, Block Charge Large, etc. Your opinions were suspect but you seemed to have a better grasp of the facts.
Didn't say you made that claim, only that I had seen it in several write ups on Dawkins. Yes, Ramsey was very likely a MAC level guy as a 2 star recruit, which is what he was. Not sure why you’re so angry, especially when you had the facts wrong.

J

Didn't day you made that claim, only that I had seen it in several write ups on Dawkins. Yes, Ramsey was very likely a MAC level guy as a 2 star recruit, which is what he was.
Last time, guy, as I've got to get back to work. You did "day" I made that claim, and you didn't mention any "write ups" in your comments to me.

Ramsey was 3 star on Scout/247. And, for the last time, he had ACC offers and Big Ten offers, so the fact that you keep clinging to this "MAC-bound" narrative is beyond bizarre.

Last time, guy, as I've got to get back to work. You did "day" I made that claim, and you didn't mention any "write ups" in your comments to me.

Ramsey was 3 star on Scout/247. And, for the last time, he had ACC offers and Big Ten offers, so the fact that you keep clinging to this "MAC-bound" narrative is beyond bizarre.

Our new found friend -(Wysoc403)-is Not an Indiana fan...

He slipped up and gave himself away when while dumping on Ramsey he waxed a little too eloquently by saying: "he won't hurt You too bad"//(caps mine)...

Keep that in mind for future interactions... The guy is a phony...

All just my opinion from watching him last year. Do you believe he gets IU to .500 or better in the BiG Ten? And why do you think Dawkins is the favorite to start, since he wouldn’t be at IU otherwise? Just my $.02 and not sure why this makes you mad. By the way, he was a Rivals 2 Star with offers from IU, Illinois, BC, Wake and MAC schools.
Man this is nothing personal...not trying to fry your fanny...but I think you totally missed the point. Hey, 2019, when Penix goes down, who goes in? OMG Part III...vbg

Go home...far far away...another galaxy will do fine. Do so before the sharper tools come out of the ol' armory...vbg.

Our new found friend -(Wysoc403)-is Not an Indiana fan...

He slipped up and gave himself away when while dumping on Ramsey he waxed a little too eloquently by saying: "he won't hurt You too bad"//(caps mine)...

Keep that in mind for future interactions... The guy is a phony...
I’m a huge IU fan and have been for years. Because I use “you” in the generic sense or say that Ramsey isn’t a Big Ten level qb doesn’t disqualify me as a fan. Who do you cheer for, by the way?

I’m a huge IU fan and have been for years. Because I use “you” in the generic sense or say that Ramsey isn’t a Big Ten level qb doesn’t disqualify me as a fan. Who do you cheer for, by the way?

You're a phony. Own up to it...

No one who's an IU fan would ever phrase anything in a conversation about an IU quarterback and say: he won't hurt "you" too bad...

Wow...this is big news wtf? Mr florida football is leaving? Damn i hope these f*ckin coaches know what they are doing. I know a highly touted recruit from Indiana that has indiana way down on the list. Didnt even like the visits. Kinda disturbing. Im at better kick a$$ this year or gtfo. Everyone loved Tronti from all the reports last year and now this?
Thanks for the input Coach! :rolleyes:

Man, I come on this board because I am an IU alum and fan but I've never seen so many members of one fanbase attack to many other members of the same fanbase simply for stating their unprofessional (as we all are as internet posters) opinions or views. Why does everybody feel this need to be (the) "right"est about their opinion or post?

The kid is leaving and I hope he finds what he believes to be a better situation for him. Will it be Ramsay or Dawkins? None of us know and I guess we'll find out. Is Ramsay "big boy" college football material? I can't imagine the coaching staff wasting a scholarship on him even if it is true that he only held one other D-I offer. He did OK last year when Lagow didn't meet expectations but was no Heisman candidate and I hope we all hope Penix is going to be special.

As far as the coaching staff seeing Dawkins as the man this year to allow Ramsay and Penix mature and get better - maybe. Who was that QB from Texas Tech that went to Cal for one year to be the man for that one year? Oh yeah, Davis Webb.

Can't we all agree that we'll just have to wait and see?

Go Hoosiers!

Man, I come on this board because I am an IU alum and fan but I've never seen so many members of one fanbase attack to many other members of the same fanbase simply for stating their unprofessional (as we all are as internet posters) opinions or views. Why does everybody feel this need to be (the) "right"est about their opinion or post?

The kid is leaving and I hope he finds what he believes to be a better situation for him. Will it be Ramsay or Dawkins? None of us know and I guess we'll find out. Is Ramsay "big boy" college football material? I can't imagine the coaching staff wasting a scholarship on him even if it is true that he only held one other D-I offer. He did OK last year when Lagow didn't meet expectations but was no Heisman candidate and I hope we all hope Penix is going to be special.

As far as the coaching staff seeing Dawkins as the man this year to allow Ramsay and Penix mature and get better - maybe. Who was that QB from Texas Tech that went to Cal for one year to be the man for that one year? Oh yeah, Davis Webb.

Can't we all agree that we'll just have to wait and see?

Go Hoosiers!
There are people who post here who aren't IU fans. It's a free board, so it attracts its share of trolls and crazies.

With respect to Ramsey, we've now gone from claims that IU saved him from MAC purgatory to your suggestion that he had only one other D-1 offer. I guess it's just a matter of time until someone argues that IU was the only school in the country who had any interest and that his best-ever IU single season completion percentage is fuzzy math and/or a fiction created by IU Athletics.

Reactions: IUCol
Ramsey is a third string quarterback in the Big Ten. He is a second string in the PAC 12 and Big East. He wouldn’t make a roster in the Big Twelve and SEC.

Ramsey is a third string quarterback in the Big Ten. He is a second string in the PAC 12 and Big East. He wouldn’t make a roster in the Big Twelve and SEC.
Out of curiosity, how do you figure the ratings you have given him?

Man this is nothing personal...not trying to fry your fanny...but I think you totally missed the point. Hey, 2019, when Penix goes down, who goes in? OMG Part III...vbg

Go home...far far away...another galaxy will do fine. Do so before the sharper tools come out of the ol' armory...vbg.

Nothing personal in my response, but it wasn't hard to understand the point you were trying to make, you just didn't fully appreciate why Dawkins was recruited by IU's coaches and committed to play in Bloomington. The coaches realized that IU can't win consistently or at even a .500 level in the conference, so they had to get an immediate upgrade. That's why a kid from the west coast would come east to a program he likely knew nothing about until a few months ago - he was convinced that he'd have a great chance to start and run the team. He's not at IU to sit or be a backup, he's there to play, and there's every reason to believe he will, especially given the level of his competition. Not sure why that's so difficult for you to understand.

Regardless of who gets the starting nod on September 1, I think it's wrong to be dismissive and speak so negatively of a kid who who was thrust into an extremely difficult situation like year with a shaky offensive line, no run game, two of this three best WRs out for most or all of the season, and his future NFL TE mostly out or limited due to injury. Despite this adversity, he engineered a win at Virginia, played very well at times, and set the completion percentage record that was previously mentioned - - all as a redshirt freshman. He's a smart kid, he manages the game well, and he's only going to get stronger and better.

If Dawkins is named the starter, Ramsey will likely be next man up if Dawkins gets hurt or has a propensity for INTs - - a problem at AZ. If that happens, I'll have every confidence that the offense is in capable hands.

Regardless of who gets the starting nod on September 1, I think it's wrong to be dismissive and speak so negatively of a kid who who was thrust into an extremely difficult situation like year with a shaky offensive line, no run game, two of this three best WRs out for most or all of the season, and his future NFL TE mostly out or limited due to injury. Despite this adversity, he engineered a win at Virginia, played very well at times, and set the completion percentage record that was previously mentioned - - all as a redshirt freshman. He's a smart kid, he manages the game well, and he's only going to get stronger and better.

If Dawkins is named the starter, Ramsey will likely be next man up if Dawkins gets hurt or has a propensity for INTs - - a problem at AZ. If that happens, I'll have every confidence that the offense is in capable hands.

I’m with you on this one. I liked the spark he gave us when Richard struggled early on. I’d like to wait and pass judgement on him or any of our QBs until they are behind a functional offensive line.

Holy smokes - I think Baker Mayfield would have struggled behind our OL. It was bad.

The reports of OL improvement sound promising. A struggling OL is all the more reason to have a QB with a lot of mobility. We have 2 guys who sound like they have legs to get out in space and Ramsey isn’t exactly immobile either.

I just wish I coulda seen the kid play.

Now I’ll never know.
You will get to see him play.....just not at Indiana.

All of this debate on the kid - he certainly has had a lot of success in the past. He will end up somewhere and be a starter, I bet. And then we will know if our coaching staff had it right, him being 4th string behind who we have now.

Reactions: 76-1
Right. And it's not unusual. Only one QB plays at a time.

50% of Top 50 rated freshman quarterbacks from 2011 to 2014 transferred from their original schools.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...ua-tagovailoa-michigan-dylan-mccaffrey-013017
Agreed. Not unusual at all. But you'd never know it from this thread, loaded with drama, wailing and gnashing of teeth starting with the first post suggesting things aren't smooth in the QB room.

As someone else said, an abundance of talent at QB has been a relatively rare phenomenon at IU so the overreaction to the transfer is, I guess, not surprising.

He had offers from Boston College, Illinois and Wake Forest. And he was 6'3" tall. So he is shrinking. Bummer:(

I support the kid, and I think he is getting the most out of himself. He is a great decision maker, which is very valuable. I just don’t think the arm talent is there. I hope he is our backup quarterback for the next three years because we need him.

Right. And it's not unusual. Only one QB plays at a time.

50% of Top 50 rated freshman quarterbacks from 2011 to 2014 transferred from their original schools.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...ua-tagovailoa-michigan-dylan-mccaffrey-013017

Good article. Hopefully the guys out there who are acting as though it's "the end of the world as we know it" because our 4th string quarterback has made the completely reasonable decision to transfer in search of more playing time will take the time to read it...

You're a phony. Own up to it...

No one who's an IU fan would ever phrase anything in a conversation about an IU quarterback and say: he won't hurt "you" too bad...
Nah, I'm a big IU fan. Always have been. I understand what you're trying to do here and, more importantly, why you're doing it, but you can stop.

So any discussion of a kid’s limitations should be off limits? Does this include posters who are now claiming that Tronti was never good enough to play at IU, or does the standard only apply to players currently on the team?

Nah, I'm a big IU fan. Always have been. I understand what you're trying to do here and, more importantly, why you're doing it, but you can stop.

So any discussion of a kid’s limitations should be off limits? Does this include posters who are now claiming that Tronti was never good enough to play at IU, or does the standard only apply to players currently on the team?
Apples and oranges. Tronti never played at IU. There's no college game action to evaluate.

And a discussion of a kid's limitations is one thing. Suggesting he's no better than a third stringer, after putting up some decent numbers with an injury depleted supporting cast, is another.

The poster I was talking to responded in a substantive, intelligent way. You should try it sometime.

I support the kid, and I think he is getting the most out of himself. He is a great decision maker, which is very valuable. I just don’t think the arm talent is there. I hope he is our backup quarterback for the next three years because we need him.
Yes, there's the arm strength concern. Clearly he doesn't have a cannon, but I think there's enough there to succeed. And according to some of the talking heads during the NFL draft shows last week, arm strength often increases over time, even among guys in their 20s. We'll see what happens.

Apples and oranges. Tronti never played at IU. There's no college game action to evaluate.

And a discussion of a kid's limitations is one thing. Suggesting he's no better than a third stringer, after putting up some decent numbers with an injury depleted supporting cast, is another.

The poster I was talking to responded in a substantive, intelligent way. You should try it sometime.
I’ve seen accolades tossed around for both Tronti and Penix, and neither has played a down of college football. In fact, a poster earlier today referenced IU as having “an abundance of talent at qb”, in spite of the fact that neither Tronti or Penix have played and Dawkins hasn’t even been fitted for a uniform. If the issue is substance, you’d be well served to practice what you preach instead of being upset because others take a balanced view of players.

Last edited:
Nothing personal in my response, but it wasn't hard to understand the point you were trying to make, you just didn't fully appreciate why Dawkins was recruited by IU's coaches and committed to play in Bloomington. The coaches realized that IU can't win consistently or at even a .500 level in the conference, so they had to get an immediate upgrade. That's why a kid from the west coast would come east to a program he likely knew nothing about until a few months ago - he was convinced that he'd have a great chance to start and run the team. He's not at IU to sit or be a backup, he's there to play, and there's every reason to believe he will, especially given the level of his competition. Not sure why that's so difficult for you to understand.
You really don't get it at all do you? Your attacks were very personal on a player you don't know from adam. You are an ass...with very uninformed opinions that are obviously intended to raise an ruckus.

Troll...you're just about a click away from a full broadside....and your skin is already proven to be very thin...vbg...lol

Dawkins hasn’t even been fitted for a uniform
That hasn't stopped you from anointing him the starter.

And the coaches have been praising Penix and talking up his talent. I assume they know what they're talking about.

You really don't get it at all do you? Your attacks were very personal on a player you don't know from adam. You are an ass...with very uninformed opinions that are obviously intended to raise an ruckus.

Troll...you're just about a click away from a full broadside....and your skin is already proven to be very thin...vbg...lol
There was nothing personal regarding my comments, which weren’t an attack in any way. Was only trying to explain to you the bigger picture of why Dawkins was recruited. And strange you didn’t react in such a bizarre fashion to the comments made about Tronti, which were no different that ones I made about Ramsey. Sorry you got so upset.

Last edited:
That hasn't stopped you from anointing him the starter.

And the coaches have been praising Penix and talking up his talent. I assume they know what they're talking about.
Read the Athlon’s article posted today rating Big Ten quarterbacks. Dawkins is their presumed starter, as well. As for Penix, I’m sure he’s very talented, but true freshmen rarely start as quarterbacks in major college football and, when they do, the growing pains can be severe.

Holy Hell this is probably the worst assessment ever. He wouldn’t even play in the Big XII or SEC? First of all the Big XII is dogshit! Second... Danny freakin Etling started for 2 years at LSU and Austin Appleby at Florida. Get out of here with that crap. Oh by the way.... The Big East doesn’t even play football anymore. So by not even knowing that, how can we even take your horseshit opinions seriously?

Reactions: MrBing and 76-1
I am a bit lost as to the responses in this thread. A person simply stated his/her opinion of an IU player and what he/she (for ease in the rest of this post, I am going to assume it is a him) believes might have motivated a grad transfer QB to come to Indiana. While no one is required to agree with him, why the personal attacks? Is he an IU fan? I don't know and I really don't care. Nothing he has stated should be viewed as anything more than his opinions of players and their abilities. Seems like a football message board is a good place to discuss such things, without folks ratcheting up the side attacks. I will review his posts, but nothing I can remember from his posts are way out in left field. Some do have concerns as to whether Ramsey has the arm to get us wins in more than half of the big ten games. That's a fair concern. You don't have to agree, but it is fair opinion. It is also fair to have the opinion that the graduate transfer would not be at IU unless there were some concerns with existing QBs. Doesn't mean you have to agree with that either, but debate the issue and avoid the name calling and attempts to devalue a poster by challenging his loyalty. Boy this board has changed. It's not a problem for someone to have an opinion that contradicts your own. It's acceptable for folks to not always wear the rose colored glasses. Just make your points as to why someone is, in your opinion, wrong. By the way, anyone who discusses a players ability is not, in my opinion, taking personal shots at the player. It is just his opinion of the talent of an IU player. It's an IU football board, seems a fair place to be able to discuss opinions as to talent levels.

I am a bit lost as to the responses in this thread. A person simply stated his/her opinion of an IU player and what he/she (for ease in the rest of this post, I am going to assume it is a him) believes might have motivated a grad transfer QB to come to Indiana. While no one is required to agree with him, why the personal attacks? Is he an IU fan? I don't know and I really don't care. Nothing he has stated should be viewed as anything more than his opinions of players and their abilities. Seems like a football message board is a good place to discuss such things, without folks ratcheting up the side attacks. I will review his posts, but nothing I can remember from his posts are way out in left field. Some do have concerns as to whether Ramsey has the arm to get us wins in more than half of the big ten games. That's a fair concern. You don't have to agree, but it is fair opinion. It is also fair to have the opinion that the graduate transfer would not be at IU unless there were some concerns with existing QBs. Doesn't mean you have to agree with that either, but debate the issue and avoid the name calling and attempts to devalue a poster by challenging his loyalty. Boy this board has changed. It's not a problem for someone to have an opinion that contradicts your own. It's acceptable for folks to not always wear the rose colored glasses. Just make your points as to why someone is, in your opinion, wrong. By the way, anyone who discusses a players ability is not, in my opinion, taking personal shots at the player. It is just his opinion of the talent of an IU player. It's an IU football board, seems a fair place to be able to discuss opinions as to talent levels.
Thanks for your post. I didn’t personally attack any player or even the handful of posters who have attacked me, but it’s clear that several are intolerant of any opinion that conflicts with their own.

I’m with you on this one. I liked the spark he gave us when Richard struggled early on. I’d like to wait and pass judgement on him or any of our QBs until they are behind a functional offensive line.

Holy smokes - I think Baker Mayfield would have struggled behind our OL. It was bad.

The reports of OL improvement sound promising. A struggling OL is all the more reason to have a QB with a lot of mobility. We have 2 guys who sound like they have legs to get out in space and Ramsey isn’t exactly immobile either.
I fully agree with this. If the argument from others is that Ramsey can’t lead the team to wins on his talent alone, then we’d all agree. He isn’t Sam Darnold. But no one is making that argument. I think that everyone is in agreement that the current guys on the roster will need a functional line and run game to be successful. No one is saying he’s up for the heisman. I don’t see anything from the game tape that shows he can’t be successful if he has a decent run game and protection. Everyone is in agreement on his limitations such as arm strength, but as others have noted, he’s fairly accurate on short and intermediate throws and threw 10 TD’s to 5 picks. In all seriousness, he can at least be as good as Etling who threw 16 TD’s to 2 picks. That’s actually who he reminds me of if you want a player comp. Ramsey is just more mobile.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
It's probably best to read the whole thread before pontificating. The poster in question first stated that our QB, without an IU offer, would have been "bound for the MAC." That's not an opinion. It's factually erroneous and unfairly casts the kid in a bad light. The poster deserved to be called out for this.

Never one to admit a mistake, though, he wouldn't let it go. Subsequent comments about the QB included claims that he's a "MAC-level guy," "not P5 material," and "can't win in the Big Ten."

I haven't looked at the board rules in a while, but I'm virtually certain that shots like this against a current player are not permitted. And, just as an FYI, this poster has been banned at least a dozen times in the past year, under an assortment of user names, for inappropriate posts, so there's a pattern here.

ADVERTISEMENT