ADVERTISEMENT

Tronti Gone

Well, I guess all is not as smooth in the QB room as we thought.

Very disappointing.

Fairly predictable.

When you are listed as 3rd all last fall, have a true freshman come in and move past you in the Spring..., along with a grad transfer coming in the fall and pushing you down to 4th on the roster, the writing on the wall is easily readable...

Sounds like a great guy who may be disappointed but has no hard feelings...

I wish him well...

Well at least it is seemingly better than last year in that Penix would appear to be a better true freshman than Tronti and If Ramsey gets beaten out as starter, he’s a much more experienced back up than last year.

Not sure if he thinks he’s getting a raw deal or not, but doubt he’ll have larger school power 5 options, but if he’s looking to play at place like where he almost went, UNC Charlotte, then that would make sense and his IU experience will serve him well.

But all HS players should know - highly competitive with no guarantees to play. But also things can change quickly too.

Good luck Nick.
May IU pipeline keep adding good QB’s.
May our man from Ben Davis still have a shot too to see if his magic translates in B10!

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Fairly predictable.

When you are listed as 3rd all last fall, have a true freshman come in and move past you in the Spring..., along with a grad transfer coming in the fall and pushing you down to 4th on the roster, the writing on the wall is easily readable...

Sounds like a great guy who may be disappointed but has no hard feelings...

I wish him well...
We will be okay I think. Dawkins, Penix, Ramsey, special packages for Taylor, and walk on Johnny Pabst. 5 dual threats. They fit much better than Tronti did. Great guy, but wildly inconsistent.

Wow...this is big news wtf? Mr florida football is leaving? Damn i hope these f*ckin coaches know what they are doing. I know a highly touted recruit from Indiana that has indiana way down on the list. Didnt even like the visits. Kinda disturbing. Im at better kick a$$ this year or gtfo. Everyone loved Tronti from all the reports last year and now this?

Wow...this is big news wtf? Mr florida football is leaving? Damn i hope these f*ckin coaches know what they are doing. I know a highly touted recruit from Indiana that has indiana way down on the list. Didnt even like the visits. Kinda disturbing. Im at better kick a$$ this year or gtfo. Everyone loved Tronti from all the reports last year and now this?
Buzzed posting?

Penix is a 4-star, Ramsey was already ahead of him as is 5th year AZ transfer. Tronti appears to be making the move on his own accord.

And the one IN HS QB who had a bad visit? Who knows how mutual the interest? Or if just not for him?

We are seeing (Jonah Morris too someone posted?) others leaving but far as I can tel, not one was a soon to be starter, but rather guys limey frustrated at their position on depth chart. TThats their right to leave for chance to play elsewhere (usually a smaller school than IU) but see no reason to suggest Allen & staff doing anything wrong other than bringing in good players that is making the competition to play that much harder.

Are the fellow who kept hyping Tronti last fall...?

He wants to play and he's moving to greener pastures. Be happy for him...

He sounds like a mature young man who's dealing with disappointment well...

Penix is a 4-star, Ramsey was already ahead of him as is 5th year AZ transfer. Tronti appears to be making the move on his own accord.

And the one IN HS QB who had a bad visit? Who knows how mutual the interest? Or if just not for him?

We are seeing (Jonah Morris too someone posted?) others leaving but far as I can tel, not one was a soon to be starter, but rather guys limey frustrated at their position on depth chart. TThats their right to leave for chance to play elsewhere (usually a smaller school than IU) but see no reason to suggest Allen & staff doing anything wrong other than bringing in good players that is making the competition to play that much harder.
Well for the first time in a long time we had a qb stable and now we have a depleted???? I understand things happen but you dont run someone off. I honestly thought this kid would see the field this year.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Ohh gee sorry if I offended you. Whats good about Tronti leaving?
Well, for starters, it’s good for him, he didn’t have the arm strength or the athleticism to be effective at this level. He saw the hand writing on the wall, so he wants to move on to a place where he has a chance to play. Obviously a classy young man, I wish him well

Are the fellow who kept hyping Tronti last fall...?

He wants to play and he's moving to greener pastures. Be happy for him...

He sounds like a mature young man who's dealing with disappointment well...
Yes I hyped him! Why not, tebow comparisons coming out of florida? Anyways the news from the highly ranked stud recruit kinda blew me away. Ill get more info and pass it along.

Of course I wish Nick the best but he suddenly got shoved aside after much hype. Headscratcher iyam

Well for the first time in a long time we had a qb stable and now we have a depleted???? I understand things happen but you dont run someone off. I honestly thought this kid would see the field this year.

He's ranked number 4 in what's (currently) a 3 man race...

He accepted the reality of that and decided to head to somewhere he might have a better shot at being the starter... That's hardly being "run off"... Reads like purely his decision...

He's ranked number 4 in what's (currently) a 3 man race...

He accepted the reality of that and decided to head to somewhere he might have a better shot at being the starter... That's hardly being "run off"... Reads like purely his decision...
And you are correct.

No matter what I say, you are going to believe whatever you want right?
So why waste my time, but trust me, this is best for him and he seems to understand ,and be fine with that. You should take HIS word for it.
Idk...Im not in the qb room. All i can comment on are from things ive read. The kid was a stud last year according to many reports. Penix comes in and maybe Penix is that good? But if im the qb coach i keep grooming Tronti, why not. If we go through 2 qb's tbhis year due to injury then what?

Anyways youve all convinced me all is well in hoosier land...

Idk...Im not in the qb room. All i can comment on are from things ive read. The kid was a stud last year according to many reports. Penix comes in and maybe Penix is that good? But if im the qb coach i keep grooming Tronti, why not. If we go through 2 qb's this year due to injury then what?

Idk...Im not in the qb room. All i can comment on are from things ive read. The kid was a stud last year according to many reports. Penix comes in and maybe Penix is that good? But if im the qb coach i keep grooming Tronti, why not. If we go through 2 qb's tbhis year due to injury then what?

Just curious, what “reports” were there last year that Tronti was a “stud” ? Penix btw is that good. Currently, we have Ramsey, Dawkins and Penix , it would be unusual to go through 3 QB’s (I know Maryland did, but as I said ,unusual).
Sheridan may have wanted to keep working with him, but it was Tronti’s decision, and it is the right one, especially for him.

Seems clear that he was able to see the writing on the wall and is leaving to pursue a better option for himself where he has a chance to start. What does Mr. Florida mean if he is slated as 4th on the roster? I'd rather him be honest with himself and the staff and make a decision now than be disgruntled on the sidelines.

It sounds like you are making statements and creating innuendos on a public forum without actually having any knowledge to back up what you are saying. Tronti leaving has absolutely nothing to do with someone you know personally not wanting to come to IU. It would be best if people would not come on here and speculate about nonsense. Tronti was a potential “diamond in the rough” who CTA took a flyer on. There is no credible evidence that he was “run off” or not being developed by the staff, and to suggest such is highly irresponsible.

It sounds like you are making statements and creating innuendos on a public forum without actually having any knowledge to back up what you are saying. Tronti leaving has absolutely nothing to do with someone you know personally not wanting to come to IU. It would be best if people would not come on here and speculate about nonsense. Tronti was a potential “diamond in the rough” who CTA took a flyer on. There is no credible evidence that he was “run off” or not being developed by the staff, and to suggest such is highly irresponsible.
I believe this is true, but Tronti was really Shawn Watson's guy. I think Sheridan has gone all in on dual threat QB's and Tronti did not fit that well. Good luck to him. Sounds like a good kid.

I believe this is true, but Tronti was really Shawn Watson's guy. I think Sheridan has gone all in on dual threat QB's and Tronti did not fit that well. Good luck to him. Sounds like a good kid.
Tronti was the Scout Team player of the year last year but he didn’t fit IU’s system? That’s a wee bit concerning.

Last edited:
Remember when people were adamant that we shouldn't burn his redshirt at any cost - even if helped us beat Purdue? Again, I don't think it would have helped, but people were putting more value in having four years of Tronti than they were a third consecutive bowl, a fifth consecutive Bucket, and depriving Purdue of a bowl. Now, he transfers and he was a reach that was out of his league. LMAO at the way some of you shift things to fit your narrative. I know we have added a couple of quarterbacks, but if the kid was Joe Namath in November, can he be that bad in April?

Toronto was the Scout Team player of the year last year but he didn’t fit IU’s system? That’s a wee bit concerning.
As 76 said, he dropped to 4th and it was clear he wasn't going to see the field. The kid wants to go where he can play. I don't know what's concerning - - or confusing - - about that.

Best of luck to Nick Tronti.

As 76 said, he dropped to 4th and it was clear he wasn't going to see the field. The kid wants to go where he can play. I don't know what's concerning - - or confusing - - about that.

Best of luck to Nick Tronti.
Spellcheck turned “Tronti” to “Toronto”, but it’s now fixed.

I get that he’s leaving because of where he was on the DC, but the comment that the scout team player of the year, which is selected by the coaches, didn’t fit the offense was concerning. He was brought in because he did fit how they want to play. It was just a strange comment.

The qb situation remains an even bigger question mark.

Remember when people were adamant that we shouldn't burn his redshirt at any cost - even if helped us beat Purdue? Again, I don't think it would have helped, but people were putting more value in having four years of Tronti than they were a third consecutive bowl, a fifth consecutive Bucket, and depriving Purdue of a bowl. Now, he transfers and he was a reach that was out of his league. LMAO at the way some of you shift things to fit your narrative. I know we have added a couple of quarterbacks, but if the kid was Joe Namath in November, can he be that bad in April?
It's not that he's that bad. It's that Penix is that good.

We had little depth at QB in November and a very uncertain future at that position. Since then, everything's changed: 1) Penix committed; 2) Dawkins transferred in; and 3) NT dropped to 4th.

The qb situation remains an even bigger question mark.
The question mark is who the starter will be.

We've now got two 4* QBs on the roster, including one with a wealth of big time football experience. And a third guy who showed much poise and potential in several games last year. This is the best situation, from a QB standpoint, IU has enjoyed in many years.

This is a new phenomenon for IU football fans to adjust to and something that happens all the time at other P5 schools across the college landscape. The fact that a guy who appears to be a legit FBS QB leaves our program because he fell to 4th on the depth chart is something that legit FBS programs see all the time. You should have enough QB talent in your room that this kind of stuff happens. It happens all the time everyplace else. This isn’t indicative of some kind of scary problem. You bring in 4 legit big boy QBs in a 2-3 year stretch, this is what happens.
IU fans aren’t used to this because we normally had just Sudfeld and then a massive drop off. I cannot imagine a college team functioning with one legitimate guy and then a bunch of borderline players behind them.

Tronti was the Scout Team player of the year last year but he didn’t fit IU’s system? That’s a wee bit concerning.
That might have something to do with the fact that as scout team QB he was running a scaled-down version of someone else's offense, not ours.

Very likely Tronti was a hard-working kid who took his responsibility seriously. I'm sure he had a lot to study and prepare for each week and the coaches noticed his effort. It has nothing to do with whether he is talented enough to play in front of the other three guys.

I doubt very much that the coaching staff wanted to lose him, let alone run him off. The likely scenario is that he was going to sit this year and maybe beyond and he just feels like he wants to play. Nothing wrong with that and not at all a reflection on the coaches here.

Maybe it’s just the internet, but a player seems to hit his peak before he ever steps onto the field, court or diamond, and then fades to “also ran” status before he was an “ever was”. Lagow got tons of pub before he arrived and left a goat, Ramsey got talked up but is being pushed aside for Dawkins, Penix is the next great one but he has yet to take a snap. The qb grass is always greener I guess.

Maybe it’s just the internet, but a player seems to hit his peak before he ever steps onto the field, court or diamond, and then fades to “also ran” status before he was an “ever was”. Lagow got tons of pub before he arrived and left a goat, Ramsey got talked up but is being pushed aside for Dawkins, Penix is the next great one but he has yet to take a snap. The qb grass is always greener I guess.
Of course there was hype surrounding Tronti's recruitment. He was Mr. Florida. That's a pretty big deal. At the same time, he had Power 5 offers from exactly two schools (IU and Arizona). It's hard to fathom those two things (Mr. Florida and minimal P5 interest) happening concurrently. Naturally, given those circumstances, there was a wide range of views related to his signing.

As someone else pointed out, what's happening at IU at QB is pretty common throughout college football, but new to IU because we haven't had quality depth at the position in several years. What happens is that multiple quality players are brought in at QB, someone eventually sees the writing on the wall and leaves for a place where he has a chance to play. There's nothing mysterious about this.

And fans flipping on whether a guy is a god or a goat is hardly unique to IU, college football, or sports in general. It's human nature and, ultimately, irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT