ADVERTISEMENT

Tronti Gone

Maybe it’s just the internet, but a player seems to hit his peak before he ever steps onto the field, court or diamond, and then fades to “also ran” status before he was an “ever was”. Lagow got tons of pub before he arrived and left a goat, Ramsey got talked up but is being pushed aside for Dawkins, Penix is the next great one but he has yet to take a snap. The qb grass is always greener I guess.

Everyone loves the backup...

It's easy to rip the starter because his every move is on tape and has been viewed and critiqued by all the armchair QB's (of which I am a card carrying member)...

The "Scout Team Player of the Week Award" has never been a valid indicator of future "starter" potential. It's simply a recognition of hard work and focused effort in practice for that particular week...

Tronti's transfer has played out exactly the way it should. He obviously had reached a point where he had two fairly clear decisions to make: accept his role as a future emergency backup, 3rd or 4th option at QB guy, or go somewhere else where he has a legitimate shot at competing for the starting position.

He has chosen to go somewhere where he feels he can have a real shot at starting. I applaud his decision.

I'm particularly impressed by the maturity shown in the way he worded his parting statement.

The guy has to be disappointed but he's decided to deal with the reality of the situation by taking the high road, thanking his coaches and teammates and moving on towards his future without the whining and recriminations that the less mentally tough often resort to...

I'm glad he played here, appreciate his efforts on the practice field, and wish him nothing but the best in the future (aside from a game winning performance against us)...

Maybe it’s just the internet, but a player seems to hit his peak before he ever steps onto the field, court or diamond, and then fades to “also ran” status before he was an “ever was”. Lagow got tons of pub before he arrived and left a goat, Ramsey got talked up but is being pushed aside for Dawkins, Penix is the next great one but he has yet to take a snap. The qb grass is always greener I guess.
You didn’t find me “talking up” Tronti or saying he was the next “great one”. Frankly , I don’t remember many doing that, yes, people will defend or look for the good in players who commit to us ,but it doesn’t mean they are sure fire , can’t miss players. Maybe some people are guilty of believing what they want about what is posted.
Tronti was pretty clearly an instance of hoping for a diamond in the rough, let’s not forget , he was committed to Charlotte. I wish him well, but he was not going to play here, it is that simple.
I do believe Penix is the real deal, I will be very surprised if he doesn’t turn out to be very good for IU (not necessarily this Fall), so feel free to call me out on that if he doesn’t.

Of course there was hype surrounding Tronti's recruitment. He was Mr. Florida. That's a pretty big deal. At the same time, he had Power 5 offers from exactly two schools (IU and Arizona). It's hard to fathom those two things (Mr. Florida and minimal P5 interest) happening concurrently. Naturally, given those circumstances, there was a wide range of views related to his signing.

As someone else pointed out, what's happening at IU at QB is pretty common throughout college football, but new to IU because we haven't had quality depth at the position in several years. What happens is that multiple quality players are brought in at QB, someone eventually sees the writing on the wall and leaves for a place where he has a chance to play. There's nothing mysterious about this.

And fans flipping on whether a guy is a god or a goat is hardly unique to IU, college football, or sports in general. It's human nature and, ultimately, irrelevant.
Understood. Just musing on how the hype always precedes performance, and then it often swings the other way fast once they step on the field.

Reactions: Chriselli and IUCol

Again, not to dismiss this situation, but this type of thing is commonplace in college athletics. Coaches leave and the plan changes. Guys sign under an original recruiter, the offensive scheme changes to a different offensive profile /athlete and suddenly the recruit isn’t as well-suited to run that scheme as somebody else. Probably not fair to the kids and a risk regardless when they sign and this is going on all over the place.

Reactions: 76-1
It's not that he's that bad. It's that Penix is that good.

We had little depth at QB in November and a very uncertain future at that position. Since then, everything's changed: 1) Penix committed; 2) Dawkins transferred in; and 3) NT dropped to 4th.
This highlights one of the specific reasons I am not high on either JUCO or worse Grad transfers. Since everyone is just guessing as to the Tronti's either mental state or skills, sight unseen, vbg...let me add this...

Would Tronti be leaving if Dawkins had not transferred? Now this is a bit if a complex matrix but consider this...are we losing a four years player with nothing but upside for a one year "hopeful" solution to an experience problem?

Isn't this a gamble? Did the coaches know that someone would want out if Dawkins came in? Is Dawkins that good? Is Tronti?

God, who knows. It's enough to make your head blow up...

Again, not to dismiss this situation, but this type of thing is commonplace in college athletics. Coaches leave and the plan changes. Guys sign under an original recruiter, the offensive scheme changes to a different offensive profile /athlete and suddenly the recruit isn’t as well-suited to run that scheme as somebody else. Probably not fair to the kids and a risk regardless when they sign and this is going on all over the place.
Now, if only IU was commonplace...vbg. No insult intended but such semantic arguments hold little water when it comes to us.

This highlights one of the specific reasons I am not high on either JUCO or worse Grad transfers. Since everyone is just guessing as to the young mans either mental state or skills, sight unseen, vbg...let me add this...

Would Tronti be leaving if Dawkins had not transferred? Now this is a bit if a complex matrix but consider this...are we losing a four years player with nothing but upside for a one year "hopeful" solution to an experience problem?

Isn't this a gamble? Did the coaches know that someone would want out of Dawkins came in? Is Dawkins that good? Is Tronti?

God, who knows. It's enough to make your head blow up...
No gamble when the kid was not good enough to play on this level, again, seems like a great young man, wish him well.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
No gamble when the kid was not good enough to play on this level, again, seems like a great young man, wish him well.
No insult to you either...but do you "Know for a fact backed by facts that can be displayed here" that he had no such talent and would never have developed such talent under our coaches? Be specific please...

Reactions: Chriselli
Would Tronti be leaving if Dawkins had not transferred?
Maybe not, but I'll say this. Without Dawkins, we would have been an injury away from playing a QB who had never taken a snap in a college game. Bringing in Dawkins was a great move by the coaches.

And if we win this year with Dawkins, Ramsey and/or Penix, that bodes well for good high school QBs taking a closer look at IU going forward.

No insult to you either...but do you "Know for a fact backed by facts that can be displayed here" that he had no such talent and would never have developed such talent under our coaches? Be specific please...
No insult taken, none to you either, however, I’m not sure what I can post here to appease you. “Know for a fact backed by facts that can be displayed here” (?) , not sure what that would be. I do know someone I trust who has seen him at practice , and said his arm strength and athleticism were not good enough for this level. The fact that he didn’t really factor in the spring game ,at all, should also be a pretty good indicator to you.

Last edited:
This highlights one of the specific reasons I am not high on either JUCO or worse Grad transfers. Since everyone is just guessing as to the Tronti's either mental state or skills, sight unseen, vbg...let me add this...

Isn't this a gamble? Did the coaches know that someone would want out if Dawkins came in? Is Dawkins that good? Is Tronti?
Its not about Dawkins. It’s about Penix. No inside info that’s just the logical conclusion. Tronti was passed up in spring ball by a guy who should be going to prom this weekend. Not sure what is so mysterious or suspicious to people about that. He just wants to go where he can play and not be a career backup. I wish him the best and IU will be fine.

Last edited:
That might have something to do with the fact that as scout team QB he was running a scaled-down version of someone else's offense, not ours.

Very likely Tronti was a hard-working kid who took his responsibility seriously. I'm sure he had a lot to study and prepare for each week and the coaches noticed his effort. It has nothing to do with whether he is talented enough to play in front of the other three guys.

I doubt very much that the coaching staff wanted to lose him, let alone run him off. The likely scenario is that he was going to sit this year and maybe beyond and he just feels like he wants to play. Nothing wrong with that and not at all a reflection on the coaches here.

Well stated. Not sure why it has to be so complicated or "coaches ran him off" when think it simply is what it is and he made a mature decision in his own best interest. It appears to be mutually amicable and I don't think IU was looking for him to leave even, but accept his decision & wish him the best.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
No insult taken, none to you either, however, I’m not sure what I can post here to appease you. “Know for a fact backed by facts that can be displayed here” (?) , not sure what that would be. I do know someone I trust who has seen him at practice , and said his arm strength and athleticism were not good enough for this level. The fact that he didn’t really factor in the spring game ,at all, should also be a pretty good indicator to you.
You misunderstand..easy to do here vbg...I certainly am not looking for "appeasement". I am trying to understand how we get to where we go. I have no particular penchant for Tronti. I don't know enough about him. I just believe that you don't swap a 4 year project for a short term one, unless you have a good reason. I'm sure the staff would have preferred Tronti stay. But to believe they didn't know this was a possibility is naïve, or they are bad coaches Being that with Penix's arrival he moved down the list...at least temporarily...but to say he is no loss with the gain of Dawkins insinuates he was never going to get any better or at least not better enough to be a contributor. I think thats pretty flippant in itself as no one here has a functioning swami hat and it calls into question why he was even recruited in the first place...doesn't it? vbg Anyway, its all moot now.

Now, if only IU was commonplace...vbg. No insult intended but such semantic arguments hold little water when it comes to us.

Very true. I don’t necessarily disagree but I think that this year we are closer to “commonplace” than anytime in the past 7 seasons. We are in an entirely different situation now than with Lagow and 2 untested frosh (both with no game action). We now have a veteran grad guy, a guy who played 8 games and a 4-star kid who was verbally committed to a high level SEC school and selected us over a high level ACC school at the end. The talent pool, at least on paper, is better. We were in a similar situation with Sudfeld, Roberson and Coffman where we ended up with experience but no clear direction on “the guy” and two ended up bolting.
We may end up playing all 3 of our guys this year. Nobody knows that Dawkins will beat out Penix or Ramsey and vice-versa. I think this gives them options and this staff will not fear yanking a guy if he doesn’t perform.

Well for the first time in a long time we had a qb stable and now we have a depleted???? I understand things happen but you dont run someone off. I honestly thought this kid would see the field this year.

Lol With your analysis on his talent, he's probably better off just getting an agent and going pro. You can even be his hype man...

Reactions: IUPaterade724
You misunderstand..easy to do here vbg...I certainly am not looking for "appeasement". I am trying to understand how we get to where we go. I have no particular penchant for Tronti. I don't know enough about him. I just believe that you don't swap a 4 year project for a short term one, unless you have a good reason. I'm sure the staff would have preferred Tronti stay. But to believe they didn't know this was a possibility is naïve, or they are bad coaches Being that with Penix's arrival he moved down the list...at least temporarily...but to say he is no loss with the gain of Dawkins insinuates he was never going to get any better or at least not better enough to be a contributor. I think thats pretty flippant in itself as no one here has a functioning swami hat and it calls into question why he was even recruited in the first place...doesn't it? vbg Anyway, its all moot now.
I guess my response is, I don’t view this as a “swap”. I don’t think the staff said, let’s see, would we rather have Tronti for 4 or Dawkins for 1. I believe the staff saw that Tronti was not going to be a guy that could help them win , and they had an opportunity to upgrade arm strength, athleticism and experience for one year with Dawkins. No brainer. I’m sure they knew there was a chance Tronti would move on, but their primary focus has to be making their team better. They did with Dawkins, at minimum from a depth perspective .
As far as why he was recruited in the first place , would be mostly due to CKW leaving in December without already having a qb recruit on board. By the time CTA took over they were clearly in scramble mode to find a qb ,and found the best one they could.

This is why you don't worry about redshirting most players. Between natural attrition and grad transfers there is almost no point.

I guess my response is, I don’t view this as a “swap”. I don’t think the staff said, let’s see, would we rather have Tronti for 4 or Dawkins for 1. I believe the staff saw that Tronti was not going to be a guy that could help them win , and they had an opportunity to upgrade arm strength, athleticism and experience for one year with Dawkins. No brainer. I’m sure they knew there was a chance Tronti would move on, but their primary focus has to be making their team better. They did with Dawkins, at minimum from a depth perspective .
As far as why he was recruited in the first place , would be mostly due to CKW leaving in December without already having a qb recruit on board. By the time CTA took over they were clearly in scramble mode to find a qb ,and found the best one they could.
I think they've said that about Tronti and probably Ramsey, too. Dawkins is a one year guy who transitions them to Penix. Ramsey is the backup who isn't P5 material but he won't hurt you too bad. Penix is the guy you build around. And the qb recruits that hopefully follow.

Reactions: cshartle123
Ramsey is the backup who isn't P5 material but he won't hurt you too bad
I vehemently disagree with your analysis. Ramsey was thrown into the fire in the Virginia game when RL wasn't getting it done, got us the W, and acquitted himself exceptionally well for a RS freshman. Did he make some mistakes? Of course, as any new guy would. Did he generally show poise and do what the coaches asked of him? Absolutely. With a struggling OL, defenders frequently in his face, and a depleted receiving corps, he set a single season program record for completion percentage. And don't tell me they were all short passes. It's still an impressive feat to complete 65% of your passes, irrespective of where you're throwing the ball.

He absolutely demonstrated that he's P5 material. I fully expect that he will continue to be a major contributor to IU football.

How anyone now can believe Ramsey cant cut it at the B10 level I'm afraid doesn't know much about football...and QB's specifically. Don't mean to be personal but wow...you missed it dude.

And we know absolutely nothing about Penix. Could be all hype as far as we know. Ramsey has proven his metal.

Of course there was hype surrounding Tronti's recruitment. He was Mr. Florida. That's a pretty big deal. At the same time, he had Power 5 offers from exactly two schools (IU and Arizona). It's hard to fathom those two things (Mr. Florida and minimal P5 interest) happening concurrently. Naturally, given those circumstances, there was a wide range of views related to his signing.

As someone else pointed out, what's happening at IU at QB is pretty common throughout college football, but new to IU because we haven't had quality depth at the position in several years. What happens is that multiple quality players are brought in at QB, someone eventually sees the writing on the wall and leaves for a place where he has a chance to play. There's nothing mysterious about this.

And fans flipping on whether a guy is a god or a goat is hardly unique to IU, college football, or sports in general. It's human nature and, ultimately, irrelevant.
I’ll have to look more at the film, but it’s impossible to know what happened to Tronti. I agree that it is odd that a Mr. Football caliber guy is a 2* with two power 5 offers, but I don’t know if it matters. It would be nice to know why he left, but only he really knows why he left. The reality is that the pressure is on Ramsey to perform. From a sample size of data (still analyzing it), the more we Run, the better the team does. My guess would be Tronti isn’t as mobile as the other guys, including Ramsey, and even a walk on like Mike Fiacable. You can piece together that the root cause of him not playing is his inability to run, not saying he is unathletic, just not as athletic as the others. My observations tell me that the team is going into a run oriented direction because the margin of winning when IU had to throw the ball a lot was small. The Ohio State game is a good example when we had to pass over 60 Times. Contrast that with the Rutgers game, and Virginia game. If Tronti is more of a pssser than a dual threat at this level, then the writing was on the wall. It simply looks like Deboard is looking for faster QB’s and we should throw considerably less this year, reducing the margin for error.

I vehemently disagree with your analysis. Ramsey was thrown into the fire in the Virginia game when RL wasn't getting it done, got us the W, and acquitted himself exceptionally well for a RS freshman. Did he make some mistakes? Of course, as any new guy would. Did he generally show poise and do what the coaches asked of him? Absolutely. With a struggling OL, defenders frequently in his face, and a depleted receiving corps, he set a single season program record for completion percentage. And don't tell me they were all short passes. It's still an impressive feat to complete 65% of your passes, irrespective of where you're throwing the ball.

He absolutely demonstrated that he's P5 material. I fully expect that he will continue to be a major contributor to IU football.
I generally agree. A QB at this level is only as good as he fits the system. Ramsey can be ideal in Deboards system. Running through the stats, Ramsey is actually in a good position. Im trying to see where he’s effective and where he isn’t. He’s not going to throw it 60 times like RL, but that also reduces the margin for error. RL had more passing attempts and 8 picks. Ramsey had 5 picks with fewer attempts, so he will need to reduce turnovers relative to the amount of passes he will throw. I think that he can be a 16 TD 2 pick guy realistically, and that’s good enough to win. He will throw less than we’ve seen in the past, and they will be high % throws, which will hurt the deep ball threat, but the offensive line will still determine how far IU goes. Ramsey is a conservative smart guy who can cut it in the Big Ten based on the film/statistics. He will be as good as the running game frees him up to make simpler, shorter, and more high percentage throws than RL had to make.

Ramsey reminds me of a young Connor Cook or Drew Tate. He just has "guts" and makes plays. I don't know that he was ready to play last year, but I don't think you could rule out him having a really solid career. Compare his first year to Ben Chappell's.

How anyone now can believe Ramsey cant cut it at the B10 level I'm afraid doesn't know much about football...and QB's specifically. Don't mean to be personal but wow...you missed it dude.

And we know absolutely nothing about Penix. Could be all hype as far as we know. Ramsey has proven his metal.
I may have been a little tough on Ramsey, but he’s not a guy IU can win with in the Big Ten. Nice kid, hard worker, but not enough ability at this level. That’s why they went after Dawkins so hard. They knew Ramsey wasn’t the answer.

I think Dawkins was brought in here to start and be the man THIS YEAR. I do not think Ramsey is anywhere near the caliber of player that Dawkins has shown to be. My goodness, look at Dawkins' Arizona highlight package and compare it to Ramsey's highlight package.

Dawkins will be the bridge to Penix. Penix will presumably be the man from 2019-2021. Ramsey will either be a quality backup, or he'll transfer out. In the meantime, it's Allen's job to recruit great talent in behind Penix.

Dawkins can flat out run past people making very athletic plays with both, his feet and arm and of course that's what Debord wanted last year. That guy wasn't on the roster, well there's two of them on the roster going into fall camp.

I think Dawkins was brought in here to start and be the man THIS YEAR. I do not think Ramsey is anywhere near the caliber of player that Dawkins has shown to be. My goodness, look at Dawkins' Arizona highlight package and compare it to Ramsey's highlight package.

Dawkins will be the bridge to Penix. Penix will presumably be the man from 2019-2021. Ramsey will either be a quality backup, or he'll transfer out. In the meantime, it's Allen's job to recruit great talent in behind Penix.

Dawkins can flat out run past people making very athletic plays with both, his feet and arm and of course that's what Debord wanted last year. That guy wasn't on the roster, well there's two of them on the roster going into fall camp.
OMG I'll just put it in simple terms...UA as a team can make a lot of people look good behind center. Wait didnt he lose his job to a freshman? And trying to compare films between a 4 year player and a freshman...well, I wont grace that with any other response. You sound desperate to be right. Believe what you want.

I may have been a little tough on Ramsey, but he’s not a guy IU can win with in the Big Ten. Nice kid, hard worker, but not enough ability at this level. That’s why they went after Dawkins so hard. They knew Ramsey wasn’t the answer.

Wysoc403,what team do you usually follow/root for? Wyoming?

Last edited:

Ramsey is adequate if the offensive line is clicking. Again, I note the Virginia game and Georgia Southern game when he had an adequate run game. He can make short to intermediate throws and has solid mobility. He was clicking even against Maryland prior to injury. He needs to reduce his turnovers, because 5 picks in limited passing attempts won’t be good enough, but he definitely has the potential to be a solid QB. I wouldn’t compare him to Conor Cook. He’s more of a Brian Hoyer when he was at MSU. He’s going to make limited mistakes and lean on a run game. I don’t understand writing him off completely. I do agree that Dawkins and Penix have elite athleticism, but their ability to win will still come down to the offensive line and having the ability to make higher percentage throws against favorable coverages due to the strength of the running game. Ramsey showed flashes of being a decent game manager. I won’t be shocked if he’s an NFL back up when it’s all said and done. Just because he lacks elite arm talent doesn’t mean he can’t be effective imho. Tronti had the writing on the wall because he lacked the baseline tools that they were looking for at this time. Ramsey has those tools (faster, more experienced, decision making). Ramsey could easily be the day 1 starter, although we will have to see how it plays out. I’m not saying he’s Sudfeld, I’m only saying in the small sample size that it’s fair to say that IU can win with him if there is an adequate run game to lean on due to his football IQ and mobility. It’ll be a very different style than what we saw under Sudfeld, but still effective enough to win. Heck, Sudfeld even needed an elite run game and pass protection to put up the numbers that he put up, so I think that it was clear that Ramsey wouldn’t look great given what he had around him last year. I’m not advocating for anyone to start In particular, but I think it’s too early to write him off as not being a Big Ten caliber player because he showed some encouraging traits in year 1. With that being said, he could still be the number 3 this fall, but I wouldn’t panic if he went into the game, or if he were th starter.

Reactions: ESalum86
I hate to dismissively label posts as ridiculous, but this is ridiculous.

Reactions: IUCol
I hate to dismissively label posts as ridiculous, but this is ridiculous.
He’s not big or athletic and has shown signs of being injury prone. He might start for two other Big Ten schools, maybe. I’m sure he’s a great kid, but he’s not a kid that gets IU even over .500 in the conference. That’s why the coaches knew they had to upgrade the position immediately with Dawkins. Nothing against the kid, but his ceiling isn’t very high.

He’s not big or athletic and has shown signs of being injury prone. He might start for two other Big Ten schools, maybe. I’m sure he’s a great kid, but he’s not a kid that gets IU even over .500 in the conference. That’s why the coaches knew they had to upgrade the position immediately with Dawkins. Nothing against the kid, but his ceiling isn’t very high.
OMG Part II...this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Dawkins cant replace Ramsey with a one year visit...duh. And having Dawkins here has nothing to do with Ramsey's talent or lack there of...but everything to do with simple experience.

What are you doing here?

Ramsey played in 9 games, with multiple starts, and had the highest single season completion percentage in the history of the program.

Anyone saying he’s not power 5 material is not too bright.

Ramsey and Dawkins are literally the same size.

Regardless of who the guy is this year, I think we can all agree that IU is in a better spot with QBs then in past seasons. Tronti leaving was almost expected and I'm sure he knows TA & staff are pushing hard for a capable QB in the 2019 class. I think there is going to be another discussion of a QB leaving the program this time next year if TA does his job and gets a solid dual threat in the 2019 class.

This is college sports in general. Recruiting and coaching changes are part of the game. You never know who is going to come in behind you that could take your spot. Obviously the grad QB coming in makes the process more frustrating for someone battling for an acceptable position on the depth chart. Transfers happen to good programs, but great programs are those that can accept the transfer (help that guy accomplish his individual goals) and find someone else to fill their position with minimal complications.

I wish the best for everyone that transfers out this season. Now let's hope recruiting can continue and keep creating competition.

OMG Part II...this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Dawkins cant replace Ramsey with a one year visit...duh. And having Dawkins here has nothing to do with Ramsey's talent or lack there of...but everything to do with simple experience.

What are you doing here?
It will be Dawkins in 2018 and Penix after that.

Reactions: cshartle123
Ramsey and Dawkins are literally the same size.
But not close in ability. Ramsey was a two star kid bound for the Mac. I’m sure he’s a great kid, but IU doesn’t get to .500 in the conference with him at qb.

What are you doing here?
He's just stirring the pot - - one of his favorite pastimes.

And not that you need my affirmation, but you're right and he's wrong. Dawkins provides experience and depth. If Ramsey were to get hurt this season, there would have been (without Dawkins) no one with college game experience to replace him.

The other poster's "injury prone" argument is absurd. IU had a poor rushing attack last year (105th nationally) and an ineffective OL so teams were teeing off on Ramsey, knowing he'd probably be putting the ball in the air. It was even worse in the Maryland game. Ellison was out with an injury, we couldn't do anything on the ground, and the Terps were gunning for Ramsey down after down. The kid took some hits but was tough as nails and kept coming back, sack after sack (five sacks in all) until a knee finally gave out. That's evidence of being injury prone? I think not.

Ramsey's a coach's son with a high football IQ. He's battle-tested from Cincinnati-area high school ball, he's gritty, competitive, accurate and athletic enough to compete at a high level. He may or may not be the starter when the season begins, but I'm certain he'll see action this season and will contribute to Ws.

You are utterly full of shit. He was a three star with two ACC offers and another from the B1G.
All just my opinion from watching him last year. Do you believe he gets IU to .500 or better in the BiG Ten? And why do you think Dawkins is the favorite to start, since he wouldn’t be at IU otherwise? Just my $.02 and not sure why this makes you mad. By the way, he was a Rivals 2 Star with offers from IU, Illinois, BC, Wake and MAC schools.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT