ADVERTISEMENT

Trendon Watford

And I will reiterate the fact that every article I read and person I heard, rated Archie as the top hire in college basketball. That isn't just a fluke. RMK didn't endorse him for kicks. He was HIGHLY thought of as a coach and most speculate that if IU wouldn't have hired him he would now be at OSU. All of that said, Archie might not be the guy but the next one or two years will tell the tale.

If he doesn't work out, that IMO, doesn't make it a bad hire by Glass. If you have every hired people, did everyone of them excel? I know I can't make that claim.

Let's tease your logic out. You're essentially saying as long as some national media/twitter people say it's a great hire, then the A.D. is off the hook for the results of the coach. Theoretically, Glass, could continue to be the A.D. after 15 bad hires because the national media said they were great hires. You can't see why someone would question that logic?

I base my opinion on actual results. If Allen and Archie work out, Glass, should be given credit, a raise, and etc.. If they both don't work out, he should be fired.

Never met the man. My opinion is just as valid as yours.

IMO, he hired one of if not the best candidate available. Archie has everything in facilities and support that he needs to be successful. What more can Glass do?

Have you ever hired employees?

What Glass needs to do is hire a coach that turns IU into an elite program again. It's his most important job requirement.

Not to be rude, but you comparing your hiring of entry level employees to Fred Glass's job, is apples to oranges. I will say, if I was your boss and you continued to hire employees that weren't any good at the job, I would stop allowing you to make those decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh.4
You didn't answer my question.

In response to yours, I will go with what Hoosierdaddy said.

Plus, what brings you to the conclusion that IU doesn't care about basketball? Specifics please.
Oh, please. 1 final four in 32 years. It doesn’t happen by accident. Next time say ‘please’. Don’t demand anything of anybody except your kids.

Could silence on the recruiting front, specifically the grad transfer market, mean IU knows they are right there (or hopefully getting him)???

Ive always assumed there was very little chance, but silence lately hopefully is speaking volumes.

Could silence on the recruiting front, specifically the grad transfer market, mean IU knows they are right there (or hopefully getting him)???

Ive always assumed there was very little chance, but silence lately hopefully is speaking volumes.

No

Let's tease your logic out. You're essentially saying as long as some national media/twitter people say it's a great hire, then the A.D. is off the hook for the results of the coach. Theoretically, Glass, could continue to be the A.D. after 15 bad hires because the national media said they were great hires. You can't see why someone would question that logic?

I base my opinion on actual results. If Allen and Archie work out, Glass, should be given credit, a raise, and etc.. If they both don't work out, he should be fired.

What Glass needs to do is hire a coach that turns IU into an elite program again. It's his most important job requirement.

Not to be rude, but you comparing your hiring of entry level employees to Fred Glass's job, is apples to oranges. I will say, if I was your boss and you continued to hire employees that weren't any good at the job, I would stop allowing you to make those decisions.

Oh my, I don't really know where to start with the hyperbole in this response. I know I am wasting my time but WTH.

First, It was not some media, etc. people talking about the hire. It was also our former HOF coach saying that he was a good coach and we would be please IF we gave him time.

Your assertion that he could hire 15 coaches and I would be fine with it is nothing but hyperbole, supposition and is ridiculous. I am talking about this hire and only this hire.

Once again, in regards to who I have hired, you have no clue and besides you never answered my question about if you had hired employees. Convenient that you refused to reply.

You infer that Glass "continues to hire employees that weren't any good at their job". I assume that Archie is one, who are the others?

Your mama.
Hey cuz. So far except one fella who noted Bloomington as a reason for recruits to come to IU, and Bloomington IS a beautiful town, there are few reasons anyone really good recruit has given why they otter join the IUbball program. Any thoughts on that? Thx.

I’m not an Archie hater. He’s a really good guy. But I like Tom Allen better than him. Allen, breathes life into his program. He’s so upbeat. He’s a tireless worker. He is relentless in recruiting. He’s adapted to making changes and making staff changes. Archie to me, just doesn’t seem to be relentless in his approach to turning around Indiana Basketball. He was a great fit at Dayton because it’s a lot easier to develop teams and players at that level of competition. The schedules aren’t as daunting. The expectations aren’t as high. And their isn’t the same same kind of internal and external pressure. We all loved the hire because it wasn’t Crean and he won consistently at Dayton. But my issue is that I don’t think Glass swung hard enough for other guys. He didn’t interview too many people at all. Why didn’t we at least try to talk to guys like Chris Mack and Mick Cronin who have had good results at bigger schools than Dayton? That to me is what bothers me about Glass. You can’t just zero in and pigeonhole one coaching choice. We need to interview many people in our coaching searches to find the right person.
Tom Allen has never won at the college level.
Archie has been to an elite 8 at Dayton, and to the NIT with his first recruiting class.
I do not expect any Bowls under Allen.

Tom Allen has never won at the college level.
Archie has been to an elite 8 at Dayton, and to the NIT with his first recruiting class.
I do not expect any Bowls under Allen.

At this rate, Archie is behind Allen in the performance department. Archie has a lot more tradition and recruiting base to work with as well and it’s been nothing short of a disaster. To applaud the NIT like it was some kind of achievement is absurd. He ain’t done squat.

Top 10 (#3) in WSJ value rating
Top 10 in attendance
Top 10 historically wins & banners
#3 college basketball television market

LSU & Alabama are football schools.

Reactions: All4You
So recruits want to play at George Mason because they have a recent Final Four?
maybe they do. larranga may have been paying them something. miami's name has come up in the fbi investigation

Last edited:
On paper Archie looked fine. This is why we need a former athlete or coach in the position. Glass doesn’t have the intuition or knowledge base to understand what the program needs. Now, we’ve wasted the past two seasons and ****ed up our recruiting.
miller is both so i wonder what you are thinking?

Top 10 (#3) in WSJ value rating
Top 10 in attendance
Top 10 historically wins & banners
#3 college basketball television market

LSU & Alabama are football schools.
these are basketball players. while stat nerds might care about wsj value rating, whatever that is, i doubt the recruits know or give a damn

Reactions: Nieman

actually, you are not basing your opinion on "actual results". you are basing them on only the results you care about or something else entirely. iu just won the big ten championship in baseball. yesterday. track and field is doing great. soccer played in the championship game. swimming and diving had a great hire who is winning big, wrestling hired a hot, young prospect and iu alumnus and he just turned in iu's best recruiting class in forever. and to anyone with a smidge of intelligence, the jury is still out on miller and allen

actually, you are not basing your opinion on "actual results". you are basing them on only the results you care about or something else entirely. iu just won the big ten championship in baseball. yesterday. track and field is doing great. soccer played in the championship game. swimming and diving had a great hire who is winning big, wrestling hired a hot, young prospect and iu alumnus and he just turned in iu's best recruiting class in forever. and to anyone with a smidge of intelligence, the jury is still out on miller and allen

Um.....no. Nobody gives a rat’s a## about swimming and diving.

Oh my, I don't really know where to start with the hyperbole in this response. I know I am wasting my time but WTH.

First, It was not some media, etc. people talking about the hire. It was also our former HOF coach saying that he was a good coach and we would be please IF we gave him time.

Your assertion that he could hire 15 coaches and I would be fine with it is nothing but hyperbole, supposition and is ridiculous. I am talking about this hire and only this hire.

Once again, in regards to who I have hired, you have no clue and besides you never answered my question about if you had hired employees. Convenient that you refused to reply.

You infer that Glass "continues to hire employees that weren't any good at their job". I assume that Archie is one, who are the others?

I was being a little facetious. However, you never know on here.Tthe standards aren't very high for IU.

Did any of the media actually back up their claims with any data? Feel free to link an article that shows actual data on the success rate of mid-major coaches when they move to Power 5(6) schools.

I didn't reply to your hiring question because it's irrelevant. To answer it, no I haven't.

The other bad hires/extensions are Crean, Wilson, and Allen.

Assuming Archie fails. How many more basketball hires would you allow Glass? Would he be on the hot seat if Archie and Allen fail?

Great fan base, great tradition, good facilities, major conference, great school, great college town, great campus. What don’t we have to offer besides recent success in the tourney?

I can’t argue with those things, at least as an older fan. Those are things WE think ought to draw great recruits to IU. We get some pretty good recruits, that’s not an issue, but we don’t get what we need. Why does Brooks go to KY when he is certain to get instant playing time at IU? This isn’t recent. Montross skips town, the two guys from LC who went OSU and so on. MSU raids Indiana’s better players. The list can go on and on as well as with the excuses why this or that guy didn’t sign w IU whether from Indiana or elsewhere.

So, yes, the one thing we don’t have to offer is recent success in the tourney but I haven’t seen any real success for several years now. We can say the coach gets paid a lot so the administration must care some, right? Maybe it was just cheaper to pay one guy 3.5 mill. per year than spend 20 mill. to build a bball dorm with all the fixins.
Thx for your answer.

I was being a little facetious. However, you never know on here.Tthe standards aren't very high for IU.

Did any of the media actually back up their claims with any data? Feel free to link an article that shows actual data on the success rate of mid-major coaches when they move to Power 5(6) schools.

I didn't reply to your hiring question because it's irrelevant. To answer it, no I haven't.

Assuming Archie fails. How many more basketball hires would you allow Glass? Would he be on the hot seat if Archie and Allen fail?

Quit moving the goal posts. You talked about hires not extensions. BUT I will TOTALLY agree that the extension was a terrible decision but IMO that is about the only terrible decision Glass has made.

In my view, the jury is still out on Archie and TA. If they both fail then I think Glass should go with them. I really think that TA is building something at IU and will get the job done. In regards to Archie, I hope he is the guy but time to prove it is now. Tic Toc.

Quit moving the goal posts. You talked about hires not extensions. BUT I will TOTALLY agree that the extension was a terrible decision but IMO that is about the only terrible decision Glass has made.

In my view, the jury is still out on Archie and TA. If they both fail then I think Glass should go with them. I really think that TA is building something at IU and will get the job done. In regards to Archie, I hope he is the guy but time to prove it is now. Tic Toc.

I agree with this.

I have more faith in Archie than Allen.

Never met the man. My opinion is just as valid as yours.

IMO, he hired one of if not the best candidate available. Archie has everything in facilities and support that he needs to be successful. What more can Glass do?

Have you ever hired employees?
Glass said that he was going to make a "home run" hire. There is no indication of any kind this happened. It is very likely Archie was not the first choice but rather Glass struck out and badly mishandled negotiations with a few other potential suitors. He is well out of his league as an AD at this level.

Glass said that he was going to make a "home run" hire. There is no indication of any kind this happened. It is very likely Archie was not the first choice but rather Glass struck out and badly mishandled negotiations with a few other potential suitors. He is well out of his league as an AD at this level.

Or Archie was on his short list and needs more than 2 years to get it going, like so many good coaches before him. But we get Archie is wrapped up in your irrational hate of Glass and your hate of Glass is wrapped up in your insecure fanhood. We get that IU has been meh for years but constantly seeking out and bashing bogey men is just emotional baggage.

2 years is not enough to judge this hire properly but we get your stunted emotions continue to hold you weak-minded dudes hostage...

Reactions: kmathum
Or Archie was on his short list and needs more than 2 years to get it going, like so many good coaches before him. But we get Archie is wrapped up in your irrational hate of Glass and your hate of Glass is wrapped up in your insecure fanhood. We get that IU has been meh for years but constantly seeking out and bashing bogey men is just emotional baggage.

2 years is not enough to judge this hire properly but we get your stunted emotions continue to hold you weak-minded dudes hostage...
How thick are your blinders? Are you RBB89's relative? Is it a "home run" hire or not? Yes or no. Too early to tell is not an option for this.

Reactions: snarlcakes
How thick are your blinders? Are you RBB89's relative? Is it a "home run" hire or not? Yes or no. Too early to tell is not an option for this.

Dumb. Were Izzo, Beilein, Bennett, Wright considered home run hires after two years?

“Too early to tell” is the only option after two years...unless of course you are carrying lots of emotional baggage...

Again, dumb post...

It is very likely Archie was not the first choice but rather Glass struck out and badly mishandled negotiations with a few other potential suitors.

You are making suppositions based on your feelings with no facts AT ALL. I don't know why you despise Glass so much but your statements leads me to this conclusion.

If you have facts to back up your statements then by all means, link those facts.

Was Bob Knight a "home run hire"? Too early to tell is the only option but interferes with your requirement of instant gratification. You should accept that RMK endorsed him and wait with some patience for the program to mature in this coaching era. Too many here are "win at any cost" "fans". Don't need that even if it brings bragging rights down at the tavern.

LOL! Tell me exactly what TA is building? While your at it, tell me what AM is building. But hey, IU is strong in baseball and other sports that no one cares about. Is that the AD's fault?

Is West Point considered a mid major?

In all honesty, what does LSU and Alabama have to offer any really good recruit?
For Watford, closer to home and a place he doesn't have to hear constant comparisons to his older brother.

On the first part, he remembers the trips his family took to Bloomington. It is possible he has family near LSU or Alabama.

On the second part, I am sure he is proud of his brother, but from day one he will be called Christian by accident and have people compare his career to his brother's.

I can understand why Cody didn't want to follow his brothers to ND and UNC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT