ADVERTISEMENT

What should be done

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
It’s obvious IU football’s problems are bigger than Tom Allen. This entire post is based on the likely faulty assumption that the admin actually cares if we field a good football team. And that they’re willing to do whatever it takes to make IU football competitive.

1. If we limp home and don’t show any improvements as the year winds down, fire everyone.

2. If we do show a heartbeat and win a few games. THEN, the financial implications of the buyout can be used as a reason to keep Allen for another year.

No matter what happens regarding 1 or 2…

Put a wide sweeping plan in place to reshape every aspect of IU football.

1. Hire a football “GM”. Pull that person from the NFL. Pay them well. Task them to find young, dynamic, up and coming coordinators (if Allen is retained). And/or the head coach if he’s not. Look for already successful head coaches at lower level college programs when looking for head coaches. Look for bright, young, energetic position coaches from obviously successful NFL or college programs for coordinator and position coaches. Are there any smart young guys in the Dolphins program? Rams? Etc… Whether you’re working with Allen or a new coach, make it very clear they have input, but not the final say. Overpay all of them. Sell them on being involved in something revolutionary at the ground level. Make it fun. Exciting. Obvious springboard to bigger/better things.

2. Lean in to the Cuban Center. Hire an NFL caliber staff to modernize everything “tech” about the program. Social media footprint. Analytics. Brand creation for players. All of it should be cutting edge.

3. Player focused facilities. Demo and replace Mellencamp. Make the new one the best training facility in the nation. Build a residential sector for athletes that includes the nicest apartment/condo complexes in the nation. Retail shops. Restaraunts. Etc…

4. Redo south end zone and concourses at MS. Build a hotel in to the south end zone. Have Marriott or Hilton help pay for it. Have rooms with seating balconies facing in to the stadium. Have large meeting spaces that open up to stadium. Modernize the concourses so people aren’t anxious to leave the stadium. It’s basically a glorified high school stadium in a lot of ways now. Absurd and unacceptable how long the concession and bathroom lines are. And the 40” TVs that look like my 12 year old hung in the concourse are beyond embarrassing. Study new NFL stadiums, fix the problems. Make the stadium a place people are excited to get in to and want to stay.

5. Work, like crazy, to expand football NIL money and creativity. College football is hurdling itself towards NFL style franchises. Lean in to that. Figure out how to provide ROI with NIL donors. Advertising rights, access to the program, whatever it takes.

This initiative could start today. If Dolson and/Allen aren’t on board, they’re free to resign. Allen seems to be a “good man”. He has energy and passion. And when he’s had elite level coordinators, he’s shown some success. Force him to have that. And use the recent history as leverage to keep any future contracts in check when this initiative does start to work.

In this day and age, you can turn your program around immediately. You just have to be bold, committed, and willing to pay for it.

A lot of that is pie in the sky nonsense and not needed to field competitive teams that make low level bowl games. A hotel is not being built in the south endzone. There are new student housing complexes right next to the stadium players can live in.

It’s obvious IU football’s problems are bigger than Tom Allen. This entire post is based on the likely faulty assumption that the admin actually cares if we field a good football team. And that they’re willing to do whatever it takes to make IU football competitive.

1. If we limp home and don’t show any improvements as the year winds down, fire everyone.

2. If we do show a heartbeat and win a few games. THEN, the financial implications of the buyout can be used as a reason to keep Allen for another year.

1. Hire a football “GM”. Pull that person from the NFL. Pay them well. Task them to find young, dynamic, up and coming coordinators (if Allen is retained). And/or the head coach if he’s not. Look for already successful head coaches at lower level college programs when looking for head coaches. Look for bright, young, energetic position coaches from obviously successful NFL or college programs for coordinator and position coaches. Are there any smart young guys in the Dolphins program? Rams? Etc… Whether you’re working with Allen or a new coach, make it very clear they have input, but not the final say. Overpay all of them. Sell them on being involved in something revolutionary at the ground level. Make it fun. Exciting. Obvious springboard to bigger/better things.

2. Lean in to the Cuban Center. Hire an NFL caliber staff to modernize everything “tech” about the program. Social media footprint. Analytics. Brand creation for players. All of it should be cutting edge.

3. Player focused facilities. Demo and replace Mellencamp. Make the new one the best training facility in the nation. Build a residential sector for athletes that includes the nicest apartment/condo complexes in the nation. Retail shops. Restaraunts. Etc…

4. Redo south end zone and concourses at MS. Build a hotel in to the south end zone. Have Marriott or Hilton help pay for it. Have rooms with seating balconies facing in to the stadium. Have large meeting spaces that open up to stadium. Modernize the concourses so people aren’t anxious to leave the stadium. It’s basically a glorified high school stadium in a lot of ways now. Absurd and unacceptable how long the concession and bathroom lines are. And the 40” TVs that look like my 12 year old hung in the concourse are beyond embarrassing. Study new NFL stadiums, fix the problems. Make the stadium a place people are excited to get in to and want to stay.

5. Work, like crazy, to expand football NIL money and creativity. College football is hurdling itself towards NFL style franchises. Lean in to that. Figure out how to provide ROI with NIL donors. Advertising rights, access to the program, whatever it takes.

This initiative could start today. If Dolson and/Allen aren’t on board, they’re free to resign. Allen seems to be a “good man”. He has energy and passion. And when he’s had elite level coordinators, he’s shown some success. Force him to have that. And use the recent history as leverage to keep any future contracts in check when this initiative does start to work.

In this day and age, you can turn your program around immediately. You just have to be bold, committed, and willing to pay for it.
Hire Tom Brady and Gronk as Co-Head Coaches. IU’s version of prime time.

A lot of that is pie in the sky nonsense and not needed to field competitive teams that make low level bowl games. A hotel is not being built in the south endzone. There are new student housing complexes right next to the stadium players can live in.
Zero chance we build a program through “hiring the right guy”. The right guy wouldn’t stay.

Colleges, sports or not, are about recruiting. More students, more interest, more money.

None of the stuff I mentioned are “pie in the sky”. Other colleges are already doing most of them.

I’ve seen the complexes near the stadium. Some are nice. All of them are disjointed, and there’s no cohesiveness.

Build a “village” for all athletes. Something that rivals some of the best in the nation. Something that rivals other young adult “villages” around the country that are leading to booms in population and property values. Golden, CO…Salt Lake…Austin…etc…

IU is one of the southern most universities in one of the top 2 conferences in the country. It has a great infrastructure with medical facilities. It has some incredibly wealthy and influential alums.

Not trying versions of the stuff I threw against the wall borders on flagrant negligence, in my opinion.

Or…we could just bury our heads in the sand. Keep complaining about sucking. And keep hoping that the modern day Bob Knight of football will walk through the door. Sounds more like your plan.

Zero chance we build a program through “hiring the right guy”. The right guy wouldn’t stay.

Colleges, sports or not, are about recruiting. More students, more interest, more money.

None of the stuff I mentioned are “pie in the sky”. Other colleges are already doing most of them.

I’ve seen the complexes near the stadium. Some are nice. All of them are disjointed, and there’s no cohesiveness.

Build a “village” for all athletes. Something that rivals some of the best in the nation. Something that rivals other young adult “villages” around the country that are leading to booms in population and property values. Golden, CO…Salt Lake…Austin…etc…

IU is one of the southern most universities in one of the top 2 conferences in the country. It has a great infrastructure with medical facilities. It has some incredibly wealthy and influential alums.

Not trying versions of the stuff I threw against the wall borders on flagrant negligence, in my opinion.

Or…we could just bury our heads in the sand. Keep complaining about sucking. And keep hoping that the modern day Bob Knight of football will walk through the door. Sounds more like your plan.
The right guy stayed at Wisconsin. The right guy stayed at Iowa. The right guy stayed at Purdue. Right guys stay if the environment for winning is there.

Why don't we just do away with the College of Arts and Sciences and replace it with Sports Management programs and move the Union to 17th Street?

Yup. That’s my point. Build the culture and environment. Don’t wait and rely on a coach to do it.
No. The coach is the only person to do it. But it’s got to be the right coach. And if you find him and make sure he gets what he wants to truly build it, he’ll stay. But it starts with hiring the right guy.

Why don't we just do away with the College of Arts and Sciences and replace it with Sports Management programs and move the Union to 17th Street?
???

Or build new schools in and around the athletics area, that focus on all things professional sports.

Sports Management
Sports Marketing and brand management
Sports Analytics
Sports Medicine
Sports nutrition and rehabilitiaton

Build all that stuff in to the new practice faculty, upgrades to the various stadiums and other facilities. Etc…

Big ideas. I know. Big money. I know. The return would be enormous though, if done well. And not just from football.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
???

Or build new schools in and around the athletics area, that focus on all things professional sports.

Sports Management
Sports Analytics
Sports Medicine

Build all that stuff in to the new practice faculty, upgrades to the various stadiums and other facilities. Etc…

Big ideas. I know. Big money. I know. The return would be enormous though, if done well. And not just from football.
Most of those things already exist on one form or another.

???

Sports Management
Sports Analytics
Sports Medicine

Yes, we should change the mission of the University to having a winning football program, no matter the cost.

I mean, if we're really serious about it.

No. The coach is the only person to do it. But it’s got to be the right coach. And if you find him and make sure he gets what he wants to truly build it, he’ll stay. But it starts with hiring the right guy.
Doesn’t have to. And that isn’t sustainable at a place like IU. It just isn’t. We’ve had coaches of all experience levels, abilities, etc…. Exactly zero of them, in IUs entire history, has been able to sustain success. It’s a foundational problem.

Obviously you need a good coach. Creating something like I laid out makes it easier to find them. And easier to keep them. And easier to support them.

Yes, we should change the mission of the University to having a winning football program, no matter the cost.

I mean, if we're really serious about it.
What above changes our schools mission? Those things would attract thousands of the brightest young people, looking for careers in professional sports. The professional sports industry is one of the biggest and diverse industries available. Why couldn’t we lean in to that?

Yeah…and we have a football team. And our field is 100 yards long. And we have a press box. We’ve “got all that stuff already”. Go visit Oregon. Then tell me what we have is remotely adequate to compete going forward.
No one is saying the status quo is acceptable. A new football only weight room is being built and additional improvements to the stadium are in the process of being developed.

No one is saying the status quo is acceptable. A new football only weight room is being built and additional improvements to the stadium are in the process of being developed.
Both important. I was glad to hear about those things. For a B10 program though, they kind of fall in to…”do you want a cookie?” type stuff. There are more than a few high schools that have football only weight rooms…in Indiana, where football isn’t king like some other states. IU not ALWAYS having one is exactly what I’m talking about.

There needs to be a complete overhaul in how they think and how they approach football.

Doesn’t have to. And that isn’t sustainable at a place like IU. It just isn’t. We’ve had coaches of all experience levels, abilities, etc…. Exactly zero of them, in IUs entire history, has been able to sustain success. It’s a foundational problem.

Obviously you need a good coach. Creating something like I laid out makes it easier to find them. And easier to keep them. And easier to support them.
Investing is great, but building a sustainably successful program will always be rooted in the people and leadership of it, not stuff.

Investing is great, but building a sustainably successful program will always be rooted in the people and leadership of it, not stuff.
Ehhh. I can tell you don’t get it. People have to build a culture. But it doesn’t have to be the head football coach. In fact, I’m advocating that it shouldn’t be done through the HC. Doesn’t mean the HC has to be average. Or that he shouldn’t be a visionary himself.

But the spirit and overall vision of what IU football should be, could and should be created by the university.

They don’t see, or care, how beneficial it would be to their overall objectives.

You think all of Colorados various goals and initiatives, in all their schools and efforts, aren’t being boosted by what’s going on with Deion? Of course they are. There’s only one Deion. And if Colorado isn’t busy trying to leverage him to permanently instill the best things he’s bringing, they’re wasting a huge opportunity. Because if they aren’t, it’ll all be gone when he leaves for Florida or Florida State some day.

The coach will always matter. But the coach matters less when you have a world class organization humming along. Oregon has had a string of successful coaches. And the next ones job will be made easier by all the “Nike stuff” at their disposal. IU needs to leverage their connections and strengths and build a world class “pro sports training organization”.

Some really good stuff here. I think a Football Czar is a good move.

Good employees don't come to build the right environment...they come because it is the right environment. I've run three companies during my life...and that's just the way it is.

What does a ‘quality control’ coach do?
They can do everything ‘regular’ coach can do.
But, they can’t coach players on the practice field.
Nor, participate in group meetings.

They can:
Chart the plays, noting down and distance and outcome, including alignment (scheme) & initial action.
Note key substititions.
Spot trends that reveal the opponent’s game plan.
Self scout to avoid being too predictable.

Contribute to individual player grades.
Scout future opponents and participate in game planning.

Basically give coaches a chance at some quality of life during the season, while leaving no stone unturned

They can do everything ‘regular’ coach can do.
But, they can’t coach players on the practice field.
Nor, participate in group meetings.

They can:
Chart the plays, noting down and distance and outcome, including alignment (scheme) & initial action.
Note key substititions.
Spot trends that reveal the opponent’s game plan.
Self scout to avoid being too predictable.

Contribute to individual player grades.
Scout future opponents and participate in game planning.

Basically give coaches a chance at some quality of life during the season, while leaving no stone unturned
Thank you! That was such an informative reply.
How do you feel about him calling plays?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thank you! That was such an informative reply.
How do you feel about him calling plays?
Hard to stop the quality control coach in the booth from giving the OC play suggestions, when he is sitting next to the OC. I think there are enough stories where Sark effectively called plays at ‘Bama, and Wilson called plays at OSU. I imagine Day got suggestions from Wilson and the OC, and called the play he thought best, perhaps has own.

Ron Carey proved to be a talented play caller at NIU and Temple … It’s nearly inconceivable that he would do worse than what we have seen so far this season.

Ehhh. I can tell you don’t get it. People have to build a culture. But it doesn’t have to be the head football coach. In fact, I’m advocating that it shouldn’t be done through the HC. Doesn’t mean the HC has to be average. Or that he shouldn’t be a visionary himself.

But the spirit and overall vision of what IU football should be, could and should be created by the university.

They don’t see, or care, how beneficial it would be to their overall objectives.

You think all of Colorados various goals and initiatives, in all their schools and efforts, aren’t being boosted by what’s going on with Deion? Of course they are. There’s only one Deion. And if Colorado isn’t busy trying to leverage him to permanently instill the best things he’s bringing, they’re wasting a huge opportunity. Because if they aren’t, it’ll all be gone when he leaves for Florida or Florida State some day.

The coach will always matter. But the coach matters less when you have a world class organization humming along. Oregon has had a string of successful coaches. And the next ones job will be made easier by all the “Nike stuff” at their disposal. IU needs to leverage their connections and strengths and build a world class “pro sports training organization”.
You have it backwards, unfortunately. You have to have the right people in place first, then build from there. Your way is destined to fail every time.

Reactions: BattleCreekHoosier
Good employees don't come to build the right environment...they come because it is the right environment. I've run three companies during my life...and that's just the way it is.
Good thing you didn’t interview Hep. He would’ve walked away from your view. Knight would’ve, too. The Iowa and Wisconsin situations completely contradict everything you say.

Last edited:

Make the football team a product that the fans want to stay and watch. Spend the money on the staff and then the facilities.I agree that the concourse should be the first priority when we address the facility.

We've done a good job making the upgrades look like they weren't added on later. Cincinnati looks like crap because you can see every addition and how they have had to cobble it together.

You can spend Money on Window Dressing and Bells and Whistles, but it means nothing if you can't recruit talent and have a coaching staff that can Coach them into a winning team. it's like saying I want a 4100 million dollar mansion built for me with all the bells and whistles, but I don't care about the foundation or whether You set it on a fault line. If You can't draw a sufficient crowd to use and rnjoy your new facilities, You have wasted Your Money.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC

I wish you were IU AD instead of Dolson.

Actually, it's not being built. The existing one is being divided so the FB team can't see the women's Volleyball team work out.
bummer. now they'll have to go in there and actually lift weights. Without the obvious motivation

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC

The president has attended games … if she didn’t care, why would she make a point of being seen?

Reactions: vesuvius13
The president has attended games … if she didn’t care, why would she make a point of being seen?
I've read she's a sports fan, in general? Maybe she just enjoys football games?

There's a pretty big chasm between attending some games, and making it a priority for the university to not only field a competitive football team...but make it a relevant "organization" that can elevate other parts of your university.

As I've spitballed numerous times...there are incredible crossover opportunities to use the main revenue producing athletics teams, to bolster, create, revamp, academic schools and curriculum even. Sports management, nutrition, finance, sports medicine, marketing, statistics... I'm sure there are already things like this in place. But it could be so much more. We have world class business schools. We have world class schools of medicine. Professional sports, and specifically football, have multi billion dollar industries humming along all year long just waiting for talented young professionals (not just football players).

My theory is you could create a successful football program by building up all the various things that end up supporting the football program. Because it will naturally attract top level talent.

IU football has literally NEVER figured out how to do it solely by hiring the right football coach. Why, on earth, would we expect we could this time around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT