ADVERTISEMENT

I think the Athletic Department finally gets it

It feels like it. I hope it pans out. CCC has me way more excited than I have ever been for football. There is no reason we can’t be good.

Looking at athletic dept revenues, the gap to us and B1G schools with serviceable football is ballpark $15-25M. If we just got 10K more fans per game that could be $4-6M more in revenue per year (mostly profit). I don’t see why we couldn’t add suites to the east or west stands someday — people from Indy will come down (shorter drive than ever) for beautiful outdoor tailgating and college football. Maybe we sell a million more in merch. Donations would go up. Sponsors come in. Next thing you know we have $10M+ more revenue and we are closing the gap. There is so much upside with decent football. The Cincy home game before things fell apart shows there is plenty of interest if we are reasonably competitive.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
So if coach gets pissed off and someone...we can say "C3po'd"...as in short for Coach Curt Cignetti Pissed Off. Right?

CCC sounds like the coach we've been longing for...I was excited when we hired Hep. I was excited when we hired Wilson. I think Hep was on his way to making us a program...as I think (without respect to personal failings or a long drawn out debate about it) Wilson was...

I didn't get excited about Allen. I thought (and posted here somewhere) that it was implausible that the best available college football coach in America was our DC.

I feel like CCC has it...looking forward to watching his program.

To get IUFB into the upper reaches of the B1G, IU needs to step up and give this coaching staff what they need to do the job. We now seem to have the coaching staff to get the job done and IU needs to give them the money to get it done.

To get IUFB into the upper reaches of the B1G, IU needs to step up and give this coaching staff what they need to do the job. We now seem to have the coaching staff to get the job done and IU needs to give them the money to get it done.
Yea. The returns could be quite good. Hopefully we start thinking that way. Literally everyone wants to invest in sports right now. There is a reason.

nbc GIF by The New Celebrity Apprentice

It feels like it. I hope it pans out. CCC has me way more excited than I have ever been for football. There is no reason we can’t be good.

Looking at athletic dept revenues, the gap to us and B1G schools with serviceable football is ballpark $15-25M. If we just got 10K more fans per game that could be $4-6M more in revenue per year (mostly profit). I don’t see why we couldn’t add suites to the east or west stands someday — people from Indy will come down (shorter drive than ever) for a beautiful outdoor tailgating and college football. Maybe we sell a more million in merch. Donations would go up. Sponsors come in. Next thing you know we have $10M+ more revenue and we are closing the gap. There is so much upside with decent football. The Cincy home game before things fell apart shows there is plenty of interest if we are reasonably competitive.

Fingers crossed.
East Suits were discussed pre covid and there was enough interest from businesses and individuals to fill 20 or more day one. Covid and the budget crisis put all that on hold. Hoping it gets back on the table soon.

East Suits were discussed pre covid and there was enough interest from businesses and individuals to fill 20 or more day one. Covid and the budget crisis put all that on hold. Hoping it gets back on the table soon.
Oh cool, good to know thanks.

The east side seems to be the cheapest option since the top row to the ground isn’t very high, especially compared to the west side. Basically just build up right behind the current east stand — pretty easy, cheap, and minimal disruption. Suites would be closer on east side. Likely would make the place feel more closed in and help with noise a little.

Let’s get going. We have all this TV $, spend it!

Last edited:
Oh cool, good to know thanks.

The east side seems to be the cheapest option since the top row to the ground isn’t very high, especially compared to the west side. Basically just build up right behind the current east stand — pretty easy, cheap, and minimal disruption. Suites would be closer on east side. Likely would make the place feel more closed in and help with noise a little.

Let’s get going. We have all this TV $, spend it!
IIRC the foundation and footers are sufficient on the east side already as the original constuction allowed for an increase the stands similar to the West side

IIRC the foundation and footers are sufficient on the east side already as the original constuction allowed for an increase the stands similar to the West side
I thought I read somewhere in my IU books that the east side was only built that tall because they ran out of money. Originally the east and west stands were to be the same height.

Interesting, those east stands are robustly built.

I think we'd do something like a scaled down / suites only Deacon Tower at Wake. Build it up behind the stands.

WakeForest_Deacon-Tower_Wake-Forest_1.jpg
640px-BBT_Field_Deacon_Tower_Wake_Forest_University_football_stadium.jpg
resize

This was $48M. Probably could do something in the $20M range. May need a donation to get it done, if 20 suites generated $1M a year (which is probably a little high) that's a 20 year payback -- not great.

I doubt the athletic department finally 'gets' much anything.
Judging by the 30 year basketball track record they don't reflect on anything or look in the mirror.

Well, something pushed them to improve football a bit though. I should give credit I suppose. But I think it was easy to see money left on the table in football, since they didn't own a captive audience like in basketball. Worried they won't see the issues in basketball until too much money is gone.

IU did improve on football with coach Cignetti running the program. I hope it really improves the NIL to get Lewis or he will be gone to another school.

I doubt the athletic department finally 'gets' much anything.
Judging by the 30 year basketball track record they don't reflect on anything or look in the mirror.

Well, something pushed them to improve football a bit though. I should give credit I suppose. But I think it was easy to see money left on the table in football, since they didn't own a captive audience like in basketball. Worried they won't see the issues in basketball until too much money is gone.
😂

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT