ADVERTISEMENT

This is for all you fire the coach guys.

You don't know shit about basketball. That is all.
All depends of what the expectations are. If last years results are what we are after then no keep woodson forever that's likely his ceiling imo. If the program really wants to make final fours they will have to hire a guy who can make them. If not just keep Woodson its that simple.

• Haha
Reactions: tru123dt
From what I’ve seen, Woody us better than most of the recent coaches we’ve had and most hear think we are still a blue blood, top recruits should be flocking to play at IU and can’t understand why they’re not. Crean may have gotten us to the S16 but couldn’t sustain it and regressed. Since then, it’s been downhill and woody is doing better but at this point, the biggest problem I see is the teams he has had, don’t play mentally tough. They have their moments, but overall, no. He is bringing in better recruits than what we were getting and he has pumped some life back into the program. I am still on his side and most of us here said it was gonna take some time for this team to gel and wait until January….this team is showing signs of life (wow, we hit some threes and our free throw shooting looks better) and if X can get and stay healthy, we might place top 5 in B10

From what I’ve seen, Woody us better than most of the recent coaches we’ve had and most hear think we are still a blue blood, top recruits should be flocking to play at IU and can’t understand why they’re not. Crean may have gotten us to the S16 but couldn’t sustain it and regressed. Since then, it’s been downhill and woody is doing better but at this point, the biggest problem I see is the teams he has had, don’t play mentally tough. They have their moments, but overall, no. He is bringing in better recruits than what we were getting and he has pumped some life back into the program. I am still on his side and most of us here said it was gonna take some time for this team to gel and wait until January….this team is showing signs of life (wow, we hit some threes and our free throw shooting looks better) and if X can get and stay healthy, we might place top 5 in B10
I do not necessarily think woodson is a bad coach. I think he is ok the big issue I see is guards. To ever be able to win on a national level he will have to get better guards and why boogie would have been huge.

He is not horrible but unless he can get much bett guards i see similair results to want

that i agree with look at the minnesota game last year without woodson we barely won. They are recruiters basically and that is about is imo.
Yep. Knight always had teachers of the game on bench

You just don't deal in reality. LOL, ahead of schedule. How so please?

Under Hurley, UConn missed the tourney his first 2 years after UConn's Ollie debacle. Woody has taken us back to the tourney his first 2 seasons after our Archie debacle (though Ollie was obviously much worse situation).

Reactions: BattleCreekHoosier
Roster construction has me scratching my head, though.
Woodson's no different than us. He thought Gunn would be more polished coming into his second year here. Plus, he was banking on Kaleb being more productive as a roll player. Underneath a Christmas tree, you'll never find a silk purse sewed of sow's ear. They become brittle as they dry, not stitching well. The same can be said for marginally effective basketball players, but only if you have a creative imagination.

Reactions: sglowrider
Woodson's no different than us. He thought Gunn would be more polished coming into his second year here. Plus, he was banking on Kaleb being more productive as a roll player. Underneath a Christmas tree, you'll never find a silk purse sewed of sow's ear. They become brittle as they dry, not stitching well. The same can be said for marginally effective basketball players, but only if you have a creative imagination.
Give me your weed for Xmas. Please!!!!

I'm not familiar w that one.
It comes from an old English proverb once uttered by Alexander Barclay (1475-1552), a Scottish clergyman and poet. It goes “You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear” meaning you can’t make something good (a highly valued purse of expensive silk material) out of something inherently bad (a sow’s ear, assuming your not an adult female pig begging to differ). The present of purse underneath a Christmas tree was just a seasonal wrapping of additional packaging, perhaps better dismissed as amusing fluff.

Reactions: .Gerdis
This right here. This is why I found it unnecessary to subscribe to the Premie board. When this kind of insight is here for free....
I like the “woody got out coached crowd”. Then can’t explain why they think that. Woody had the gameplan. It worked pretty flawlessly too. The turnovers are all on the players. KU gambled by keeping its players that were in foul trouble in. Woody with the (supposedly) deeper bench didn’t necessarily have to gamble.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
If this season goes south and next year. And there's no tournament appearance.
Imo..This ends up with the board saying.. Instead of firing you Mike. Just say you're retiring..If he balks..He's getting fired..I'm for him .But I don't see potential or momentum..Momentum is not just making the tournament.And getting smoked ! But being a constant top 20 team. And be in the sweet sixteen constantly also..
That's easily doable at Indiana with the right staff..

I like the “woody got out coached crowd”. Then can’t explain why they think that. Woody had the gameplan. It worked pretty flawlessly too. The turnovers are all on the players. KU gambled by keeping its players that were in foul trouble in. Woody with the (supposedly) deeper bench didn’t necessarily have to gamble.
I can only imagine what would be getting posted here if Woody had given Sparks some minutes, maybe another ten minutes for Gunn. Had Leal give Galloway give or six more minutes to rest.

I don't know if IU is going to return to prominence under Woody. He's been here for two and a half seasons. His roster construction) management is suspect at this point.

Anyway...

Reactions: bailey777
My concern is that I don’t see that he is progressing a long term plan to build the program. Player development is close to zero and what is the core of the team next year. If Ware and MM and MR stick around and if they are in a system that promotes their growth as players then no objections but I see no evidence of that. You can’t recruit from scratch each year and hope for a miracle. It will be another 37 years hoping for a miracle.

Reactions: bailey777
I can only imagine what would be getting posted here if Woody had given Sparks some minutes, maybe another ten minutes for Gunn. Had Leal give Galloway give or six more minutes to rest.

I don't know if IU is going to return to prominence under Woody. He's been here for two and a half seasons. His roster construction) management is suspect at this point.

Anyway...
He managed the roster pretty well yesterday. He knew the match ups to exploit. I think Ware forced it a bit. X would’ve probably had multiple steals yesterday. Woody had them well scouted. The players missed the opportunity and I’m sure they know it.

I think his undoing is going to be his lack of experience with the college game and players. I think his personality and experience are just with pros: he says what he wants to happen, and expects the players to be "pros" and just do it, but he's dealing with kids largely. That approach is fine with guys like TJD and JHS, but for most players, they still need to be badgered, pushed and motivated. These last 2 weeks, I believe the difference is that guys like Pearl and Self are lifers and they've learned something in 30 plus years and know how to pull the players strings. I'll bet Pearl made life hell for Auburn in the week after App St and they responded. Yesterday, Self was calm, knew it was a precon game and just felt if he stayed with it, the experience of his guys would let them respond, and they did. If they didn't, it would've been a good learning experience. He was calm and collected in his post game and complimentary of AH and Hoosier Nation. Two different approaches, because they have different teams, but just 2 experienced coaches doing their jobs. Wish Woody'd spent most of the last 30 years at the college level because that experience matters.

d3759233-626b-42c1-a61f-4bb7d8342cd7_text.gif

Reactions: CriticArisen
He managed the roster pretty well yesterday. He knew the match ups to exploit. I think Ware forced it a bit. X would’ve probably had multiple steals yesterday. Woody had them well scouted. The players missed the opportunity and I’m sure they know it.
Ware failing to secure that rebound after the FT miss was huge. Ware fumbling the breakaway was huge. All the FT misses were huge. The three point shot from 6 or 8 feet beyond the arc, with Galloway closing was huge.

My biggest problem with Woodythis season was failing to bring in another guard. Maybe he thought Newton was that guy. Maybe he believed X was going to really be 100%. Maybe those guys were why IU couldn't get one of what they needed.

But all that said, I agree, Woody was the least of why IU lost.

If this season goes south and next year. And there's no tournament appearance.
Imo..This ends up with the board saying.. Instead of firing you Mike. Just say you're retiring..If he balks..He's getting fired..I'm for him .But I don't see potential or momentum..Momentum is not just making the tournament.And getting smoked ! But being a constant top 20 team. And be in the sweet sixteen constantly also..
That's easily doable at Indiana with the right staff..
Unfortunately, Mike came attached to a short leash on age alone. If he was someone's young buck, we'd give him more time, at least until Miller's time has come and gone in DJ Gunn's blanks, now fired (I love you like a son (of a), Gunn, but I hope the lightbulb comes on soon 'cause its starting to look a little dark).

Reactions: CriticArisen
Ware failing to secure that rebound after the FT miss was huge. Ware fumbling the breakaway was huge. All the FT misses were huge. The three point shot from 6 or 8 feet beyond the arc, with Galloway closing was huge.

My biggest problem with Woodythis season was failing to bring in another guard. Maybe he thought Newton was that guy. Maybe he believed X was going to really be 100%. Maybe those guys were why IU couldn't get one of what they needed.

But all that said, I agree, Woody was the least of why IU lost.
He missed on the only worthy guards in the portal. There just weren’t any. That’s why they pushed so hard for X. Guards are coveted and getting very hard to get. Especially the few high major ones. Can anyone name the guard transfers that have truly panned out?

Reactions: Vern Pain
Woodson was not even close to out coached. Kansas put Hunter on Reneau, a great move and one I expect to see a lot of teams do as the season progresses the way Reneau is killing most PFs. What Woodson was doing with Galloway was brilliant. MM getting in foul trouble killed us because Banks unfortunately didn’t do a thing. A big 3 or a couple hustle baskets from Banks and the game is a different story. Also with the Hunter switch to Reneau, Ware has to dominate the offensive boards with a 6’9” forward on him. He didn’t. Those couple breakdowns and a couple untimely TOs from our younger guys combined with Kansas seniors making big plays down the stretch was the difference.

If we play like that or better the rest of the way we will be fine and in the tournament. And for those saying we need 13-14 Big Ten wins, are you crazy? Is my math wrong or would that put us at like 24ish wins or more depending on the Big tournament? Not sure when the last time a 24 win power 5 team didn’t make the tournament was but I doubt we need that many Big Ten wins to be in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT