ADVERTISEMENT

This is for all you fire the coach guys.

Pick and choosing what? We're using all of his time at IU? How do you figure?
You pick the narrative so I just did the same. Crean and painter had the same record. Same number of sweet 16s same number of big ten championships. During their first 5 years.

Smart holding onto a coach that can’t get past the first round? You guys wouldn’t be ok with that. Neither would I.
Why can’t he get past the first round? He has 5 sweet 16’s and an elite 8. They are all by far the best team in the country this year. Iu has made awful hires everytime the job has been open since RMK

You pick the narrative so I just did the same. Crean and painter had the same record. Same number of sweet 16s same number of big ten championships. During their first 5 years.
Again, what narrative was picked?

So did Crean.
Painter's situation was very much like Crean. He had that "perfect storm" recruiting class and had success for the duration of that classes time at Purdue. After they left, he had a few seasons of "Johnson Ball". Two years in a row missed the NCAAT. One year they were in that pay to play thing. Ended up losing to Santa Clara.

These folks on here who now think they'd like to have Painter would have been calling for his hide in those post "baby boilers" years.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
No, IU lost a massive lead at home vs ANY program is awful. This is IU, is it not? Or are we ok with close losses at home as long as the team is ranked high? And I'll repeat, this isn't just one game. The conversation is that this is a common theme so I'm talking about EVERY game. CMW has a lot still to prove. Period.
Who said we are ok with it? I didn’t. Stop being an emotional little girl.

Reactions: MrBing
Painter's situation was very much like Crean. He had that "perfect storm" recruiting class and had success for the duration of that classes time at Purdue. After they left, he had a few seasons of "Johnson Ball". Two years in a row missed the NCAAT. One year they were in that pay to play thing. Ended up losing to Santa Clara.

These folks on here who now think they'd like to have Painter would have been calling for his hide in those post "baby boilers" years.
That’s my point.

You don't know shit about basketball. That is all.
I do know shit and thats what where all seeing.
shit-everywhere.gif

Why can’t he get past the first round? He has 5 sweet 16’s and an elite 8. They are all by far the best team in the country this year. Iu has made awful hires everytime the job has been open since RMK
And still he crapped the bed and has lost to an inferior coach 3 straight times.

Nah, the problem is you've fallen so in love with defending the coach that you lost sight of the program. Just admit it, you're an apologist.
Not whining like a child is not being an apologist.

The Negative Nancies appear to enjoy losses. That’s the point.

You’re welcome for keeping the quality.
Cav I never expressed any expertise and definitive understanding of how to coach. Smitty has tried to act like an expert even before you were even connected to this web site. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and expressing it. I am as emotional and complaining during the game and did so even under Knight but don't profess to have any real expertise just an opinion which we all know what that is worth.

Everybody have a good day.

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh
lol. Good grief. No they shouldn’t have. Just like if Woody doesn’t do anything in year 5 he should walk too but give this some time.
I don’t trust IU when having to hire. Program has had zero stability and is in constant transition. Woody is supposed to be the guy that stables it but looks like rough times are coming

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The lack of experience that hurt IU yesterday was with the players, not the coaches. Starting two true freshman and two sophomores against the #2 ranked veteran-laden team was always going to be a challenge. A close competitive loss under such circumstances is no reason to fire any coach. It is just simply irrational to suggest it.
Where did I suggest he be fired? I don't think he should, I was merely pointing out that his flaw (and might ultimately be a fatal flaw) is lack of experience as a college coach. You're right, he wasn't outcoached yesterday, more like outgunned. But, I thought both Pearl and Self played a huge role in both wins for different reasons, because they have different rosters. Yesterday I think Self had the insight not to panic and just keep pushing his guys to keep at it and not give up or get panicked. Woody seemed to have the guys ready to play in a big game. I think the biggest criticism of him yesterday was maybe keeping Mgbako on the bench too long.

Reactions: YOTHN

Time out, so Painter who finished 25-5 and 1st in the Missouri Valley his first year at Southern Illinois, then went to PU where he finished 11th, then went:

4th
2nd
2nd
1st
2nd
6th
7th
12th
3rd
3rd
1st
2nd
1st
10th
4th
3rd
1st
and is currently the likely team to finish 1st again.....that is comparable to Crean? He will have 16 tournament appearances in 19 seasons as a HC. But specific to your point, He had 6 tournaments, w/4 top 2 finishes in the B1G in his first 7 seasons.

Crean started 0-3 for tournament appearances......already the comparison is over. He had 1 top 4 finish (just 2 top 6 finishes) in that same period. Purdue lost Hummel to an injury his last year while Crean had all of his dice for 2 years and matched what Painter did. The comparisons here are as invalid as can be.

Last edited:
Not whining like a child is not being an apologist.

The Negative Nancies appear to enjoy losses. That’s the point.
But your point loses its logic when you defend a program that isn't improving or defend them after a loss.....3 years into the coaching career. This isn't year one anymore. The team has ample talent so there needs to be continued improvement and we all should be shouting our disappointment. I want CMW to win, trust me, but I will not sit here and pretend there is nothing to be concerned with around the program currently.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Time out, so Painter who finished 25-5 and 1st in the Missouri Valley his first year at Southern Illinois, then went to PU where he finished 11th, then went:

4th
2nd
2nd
1st
6th
7th
12th
3rd
3rd
1st
2nd
1st
10th
4th
3rd
1st
and is currently the likely team to finish 1st again.....that is comparable to Crean? He will have 16 tournament appearances in 19 seasons as a HC. But specific to your point, He had 6 tournaments, w/4 top 2 finishes in the B1G in his first 7 seasons.

Crean started 0-3......already the comparison is over. He had 1 top 4 finish (just 2 top 6 finishes) in that same period. Purdue lost Hummel to an injury his last year while Crean had all of his dice for 2 years and matched what Painter did. The comparisons here are as invalid as can be.
GD dude. Look at their records the first 5 years at PU and IU. Thats the comparison being made. Then look at the records up until Crean was fired. The comparison is that painter wouldn’t have made it here either. 2012-2014 stretch he would’ve been gone.

But your point loses its logic when you defend a program that isn't improving or defend them after a loss.....3 years into the coaching career. This isn't year one anymore. The team has ample talent so there needs to be continued improvement and we all should be shouting our disappointment. I want CMW to win, trust me, but I will not sit here and pretend there is nothing to be concerned with around the program currently.
You didn’t see improvement in the KU game from the Auburn game? You don’t see improvement in individual players during this season? You’re not being serious if you don’t see the improvement. You’re just whining.

GD dude. Look at their records the first 5 years at PU and IU. Thats the comparison being made. Then look at the records up until Crean was fired. The comparison is that painter wouldn’t have made it here either. 2012-2014 stretch he would’ve been gone.
The first 5 years at IU is:
11th
9th
11th
5th
1st

First 5 years at PU is:
11th
4th
2nd
2nd
1st

GD Dude, we would've signed him to a lifetime contract in comparison to what Crean did.

Hold up a second? So we now have the talent after saying X and the guards aren’t good? I know some here are saying that.

The first 5 years at IU is:
11th
9th
11th
5th
1st

First 5 years at PU is:
11th
4th
2nd
2nd
1st

GD Dude, we would've signed him to a lifetime contract in comparison to what Crean did.
🤦🏻 2 sweet 16 and 2 big ten titles. Both had the same. Thats the OG argument.

You didn’t see improvement in the KU game from the Auburn game? You don’t see improvement in individual players during this season? You’re not being serious if you don’t see the improvement. You’re just whining.
No, I don't think you can compare what amounts to a road game against a quality opponent to a sold-out home game. Especially a game we all knew this was the game of this season where the IU fans would play a major factor in. Using your logic, don't you see how we went backwards after 2 B1G wins and then fell flat on our face vs. Auburn? It doesn't work that way, its the cumulative output.

Improvements or did we play hard? Inconsistency is the issue. We have a very talented front court that should keep us in games. Guard play and shooting is just plain bad

Reactions: YOTHN
🤦🏻 2 sweet 16 and 2 big ten titles. Both had the same. Thats the OG argument.
haha Ok now I think you're just messing with me. So did you leave out the fact that in those first 5 years, PU also made 2 other tournaments and IU did not? Did you also leave out PU had 2 additional top 2 finishes and IU finished 5th and.....11th? Not even remotely close.

Hold up a second? So we now have the talent after saying X and the guards aren’t good? I know some here are saying that.
We have 5 star players at SF, PF and C. We could throw out Matt Roth and Brett Finkelmeier at G and we'd be incredibly talented.

No, I don't think you can compare what amounts to a road game against a quality opponent to a sold-out home game. Especially a game we all knew this was the game of this season where the IU fans would play a major factor in. Using your logic, don't you see how we went backwards after 2 B1G wins and then fell flat on our face vs. Auburn? It doesn't work that way, it’s the cumulative output.
So you are just whining. A couple of the Negative Nancy Club predicted we’d lose all four of these last four games. They disappeared after the first two wins and came back to party after this loss. We all have opinions, but some here absolutely despise positive opinions. Why is that?

Reactions: MrBing and Beorik
Improvements or did we play hard? Inconsistency is the issue. We have a very talented front court that should keep us in games. Guard play and shooting is just plain bad
We have two injured guards, included our best one. Can you at least acknowledge this fact?

Reactions: Beorik
haha Ok now I think you're just messing with me. So did you leave out the fact that in those first 5 years, PU also made 2 other tournaments and IU did not? Did you also leave out PU had 2 additional top 2 finishes and IU finished 5th and.....11th? Not even remotely close.
I’m not messing with you. That was the argument. Bsmitty said it. Then I countered so did Crean. Then he said it all went south. Then it was countered by his record after that up to when Crean was fired. If you look at painters record in that span he would’ve been fired at any other blueblood/former blueblood with that record. 6th, 7th and 12th. Missed the tournament 2 years in a row. Did Purdue do the right thing keeping him? Some say yes.

So you are just whining. A couple of the Negative Nancy Club predicted we’d lose all four of these last four games. They disappeared after the first two wins and came back to party after this loss. We all have opinions, but some here absolutely despise positive opinions. Why is that?
Again, I am not anti-CMW. I want IU to win but I will not come on here after a loss, no matter who it is, and defend a team as having played well. Kansas played like dog doo and still beat us. CMW still has time to turn it around but the longer we go with the lack of consistency, the more telling it becomes. I'm hoping he finds a way, but yesterday's game wasn't a positive in any way, shape or form.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT