ADVERTISEMENT

This is for all you fire the coach guys.

Time out, so Painter who finished 25-5 and 1st in the Missouri Valley his first year at Southern Illinois, then went to PU where he finished 11th, then went:

4th
2nd
2nd
1st
6th
7th
12th
3rd
3rd
1st
2nd
1st
10th
4th
3rd
1st
and is currently the likely team to finish 1st again.....that is comparable to Crean? He will have 16 tournament appearances in 19 seasons as a HC. But specific to your point, He had 6 tournaments, w/4 top 2 finishes in the B1G in his first 7 seasons.

Crean started 0-3 for tournament appearances......already the comparison is over. He had 1 top 4 finish (just 2 top 6 finishes) in that same period. Purdue lost Hummel to an injury his last year while Crean had all of his dice for 2 years and matched what Painter did. The comparisons here are as invalid as can be.
Your post bears out exactly what I said. After his Baby Boilers era he had two years of meh, and another year of suck. Had he been coaching at IU, many of the experts here would have wanted him gone. Hell, a lot of the experts on their board wanted him gone.

Biggest difference is that Painter got his recruiting bonanza right away. Crean got his after his third season. Just like Painter with his big class, when Zeller, Dipo, wat, etc were finished there was a big dropoff.

I’m not messing with you. That was the argument. Bsmitty said it. Then I countered so did Crean. Then he said it all went south. Then it was countered by his record after that up to when Crean was fired. If you look at painters record in that span he would’ve been fired at any other blueblood/former blueblood with that record. 6th, 7th and 12th. Missed the tournament 2 years in a row. Did Purdue do the right thing keeping him? Some say yes.
But a 6th place finish would've been Creans 4th best season of his entire IU career. That 6th place finish got PU to the tournament and they won their first game. The 7th place finish did tie Creans 4th best season. That year they went to the CBI quarterfinals (not a bragging right but again, by far better than Crean). So the 7th and 12th were his real worst seasons, but they were backed by 6 straight tournament appearances all of which they made past the first round and 2 sweet 16s. Crean never made more than 2 tourneys in a row.

Your post bears out exactly what I said. After his Baby Boilers era he had two years of meh, and another year of suck. Had he been coaching at IU, many of the experts here would have wanted him gone. Hell, a lot of the experts on their board wanted him gone.

Biggest difference is that Painter got his recruiting bonanza right away. Crean got his after his third season. Just like Painter with his big class, when Zeller, Dipo, wat, etc were finished there was a big dropoff.
That was the argument. They both did basically the same. You can argue one had an advantage or disadvantage. (Crean sanction years)

But a 6th place finish would've been Creans 4th best season of his entire IU career. That 6th place finish got PU to the tournament and they won their first game. The 7th place finish did tie Creans 4th best season. That year they went to the CBI quarterfinals (not a bragging right but again, by far better than Crean). So the 7th and 12th were his real worst seasons, but they were backed by 6 straight tournament appearances all of which they made past the first round and 2 sweet 16s. Crean never made more than 2 tourneys in a row.
still would’ve been calling for his head.

Ok, name those years. I just pointed out above that his 2 years of meh, one of them he finished 6th in the B1G, made the tournament and won their first round tournament game. Also, he had made 6 straight tournaments before those 2 bad years.

We weren’t playing well with X. Newton was hurt when we signed him.
We have played well with X. Hopefully he comes back and plays well again. Newton wasn’t expected to be injured by this season. He was reportedly improperly treated, but is back on track now.

Ok, name those years. I just pointed out above that his 2 years of meh, one of them he finished 6th in the B1G, made the tournament and won their first round tournament game. Also, he had made 6 straight tournaments before those 2 bad years.
Nope. 2013 and 2014 he missed the tournament 7th and 12th. Crean had those first three years he missed(understandable)and then didn’t miss the tournament back to back while at IU.

Sarcasm..buy some.
So you agree with me then as you need to rely on sarcasm?

Look, in the end, some of us want the same thing. I know there are negative nancies and there's a common theme with their posts. They also disappear often which I tend to just block them over time. But I will not settle for mediocrity or adhere to anything tied to a "good loss". That's all. Yesterday to me wasn't vindication that we've improved because we've seen this team do this at times this year already. Its easy to play like that in our annual national TV home game in December vs a top team. But if they turn around and play someone like Army, and others of the same quality, in the same manner........that's highly concerning.

Nope. 2013 and 2014 he missed the tournament 7th and 12th. Crean had those first three years he missed(understandable)and then didn’t miss the tournament back to back while at IU.
What? What years are we comparing because you seem to be all over the place? So we justify bad years for one coach and not the other? Well how do we go about defending our points if we're using our own personal opinions to dilute the facts in front of us?

So you agree with me then as you need to rely on sarcasm?

Look, in the end, some of us want the same thing. I know there are negative nancies and there's a common theme with their posts. They also disappear often which I tend to just block them over time. But I will not settle for mediocrity or adhere to anything tied to a "good loss". That's all. Yesterday to me wasn't vindication that we've improved because we've seen this team do this at times this year already. Its easy to play like that in our annual national TV home game in December vs a top team. But if they turn around and play someone like Army, and others of the same quality, in the same manner........that's highly concerning.
I’m not concerned until mid January. That’s when it gets interesting. Look man. I get it. I’ve just seen to many teams do great in November/December and crap out. Same with looking bad and then winning deep in the tournament. Big ten starts and this team loses 3 in a row then I’ll get concerned.

What? What years are we comparing because you seem to be all over the place? So we justify bad years for one coach and not the other? Well how do we go about defending our points if we're using our own personal opinions to dilute the facts in front of us?
The first 5. Then we went further to Creans years and compared them. Bad years are no tournament. While Crean was at IU painter was bad too. Enough that he would likely been fired at IU or other programs. You didn’t follow the IG argument timeline. Once Crean was fired painter got better. We are just saying no way would this board been singing his praises back then.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Where did I suggest he be fired? I don't think he should, I was merely pointing out that his flaw (and might ultimately be a fatal flaw) is lack of experience as a college coach. You're right, he wasn't outcoached yesterday, more like outgunned. But, I thought both Pearl and Self played a huge role in both wins for different reasons, because they have different rosters. Yesterday I think Self had the insight not to panic and just keep pushing his guys to keep at it and not give up or get panicked. Woody seemed to have the guys ready to play in a big game. I think the biggest criticism of him yesterday was maybe keeping Mgbako on the bench too long.
I was referring to other comments with my fired comment. I think your comment about Pearl and Self is fair. I also agree about MM.

The first 5. Then we went further to Creans years and compared them. Bad years are no tournament. While Crean was at IU painter was bad too. Enough that he would likely been fired at IU or other programs. You didn’t follow the IG argument timeline. Once Crean was fired painter got better. We are just saying no way would this board been singing his praises back then.
But again, Painter had 2 bad seasons after 6 straight 2nd round or sweet 16 appearances. So no, your statement is false.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Why do you confine it to this season after recovering from an injury? The answer is that you want to attempt to support your stupid agenda. I’m not playing with stupid. Carry on.
Not stupid dude. I swear people act like X is Isaiah

We weren’t playing well with X. Newton was hurt when we signed him.
People keep saying this but Newton was NOT injured for the year when we signed him. Some thought he may not start the year but I never heard he might be out all season until the second surgery in the summer. Just stop with this nonsense.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Not stupid dude. I swear people act like X is Isaiah
How do you not understand that X is currently 4X the player Cupps is? He is a super senior guard that can score, defend, and shoot. All people can say is he wasn’t playing great in meaningless games.

His one full year with us he averaged 12 pts and 5 assists. Even if he isn’t one ounce better than that, we need it desperately now and it would make a difference in the win/loss column.

Reactions: MrBing and asindc
But again, Painter had 2 bad seasons after 6 straight 2nd round or sweet 16 appearances. So no, your statement is false.
And again, I don't know that anyone is trying to argue that Crean is as successful a coach as Painter in the long term. The similarities lie in the success with a single recruiting cycle and then a significant falloff thereafter.

The only real point trying to be made here is that IF Painter had been at IU for pay to play tournament season, or for the second successive season with no invite, several of the posters who praise him now, would have been screaming for his head at the time.

We need scoring. This roster is so out of balance it’s not even funny. Zero shooting, zero guard depth, zero leadership.
Woody honestly has probably 2 years left. What’s the expectation for his career at IU? I don’t see him winning anything this year. Next year will need a huge portal year or it’s same type roster. Go get a proven winner and college and build the program back. We have been down waaaay too long. I hate PU but I would love to have the program Painter has built
The program Painter built? He hasn't done any more than anyone else has done there.

Well we just had a 2nd round team and finished 2nd in the Big Ten and you seem ready to fire Woodson now. Seems like you would 100% have bitched and whined about Painter too.
I'm not ready to fire Woodson, wtf are you yapping about? You're an idiot.

And again, I don't know that anyone is trying to argue that Crean is as successful a coach as Painter in the long term. The similarities lie in the success with a single recruiting cycle and then a significant falloff thereafter.

The only real point trying to be made here is that IF Painter had been at IU for pay to play tournament season, or for the second successive season with no invite, several of the posters who praise him now, would have been screaming for his head at the time.
But again, I just proved why there aren't similarities. That's the entire point. There are no similarities.

But again, I just proved why there aren't similarities. That's the entire point. There are no similarities.
I just showed you the similarities. If you choose not to see them as such. You do you. Enjoy your evening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT