ADVERTISEMENT

This is a time it would be nice to be able to trust the president

My gut take is that not enough people here in the US will take it seriously until it gets really bad. And at some point, this may hamper even Amazon's ability to adequately respond to the demand for delivery of essential goods.

I'm never one to give in to knee-jerk reactions when gloom-and-doom predictions are made in regards to the events of the day - I don't go buy bread and milk when we get hit with a snow storm - but I think it's probably time to start at least thinking a little bit about preparedness.

Fortunately, you have other examples already from the rest of the world. Besides by buying now, will also save you more money as the prices will shoot up later when the ignorant hordes rush into the shops.

A small investment for prize of feeling and looking smug later. :)

One problem we will hit is we do not pay food service well, do not give them time off, do not give them healthcare. As a result, they have a huge incentive to work sick. While this virus is not spread through food, the counterworker or wait staff can easily spread the flu.
This is a huge problem that has concerned me for many years. It seems in this case, however, the early evidence is that the spread is likely to happen before symptoms develop, so I'm not sure it's really an issue in this case.

This is a huge problem that has concerned me for many years. It seems in this case, however, the early evidence is that the spread is likely to happen before symptoms develop, so I'm not sure it's really an issue in this case.

Sheldon Cooper, "If influenza was only contagious after symptoms appeared, it would have died out thousands of years ago. Somewhere between tool using and cave painting, homo habilis would have figured out to kill the guy with the runny nose."

Reactions: RBB89
Epidemics expert Jonathan Quick: ‘The worst-case scenario for coronavirus is likely’
The former chair of the Global Health Council talks about the mentality that left the world vulnerable to the Covid-19 epidemic and what can be done to minimise its effects

In 2018 global health expert Jonathan D Quick, of Duke University in North Carolina, published a book titled The End of Epidemics: The Looming Threat to Humanity and How to Stop It. In it he prescribed measures by which the world could protect itself against devastating disease outbreaks of the likes of the 1918 flu, which killed millions and set humanity back decades. He is the former chair of the Global Health Council and a long-term collaborator of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Your feeling as to which is more likely, as of today, 27 February?

The worst-case scenario is looking increasingly likely. We’ve now seen cases on six continents, apparently “silent” – that is, at least partly asymptomatic – chains of human-to-human transmission both inside and outside China, with additional countries reporting cases within the last week – bringing the total to 47 – and new, accelerating outbreaks in Iran, Italy and South Korea. If it becomes a pandemic, the questions are, how bad will it get and how long will it last? The case fatality rate – the proportion of cases that are fatal – has been just over 2%, much less than it was for Sars, but 20 times that of seasonal flu. There are still many unknowns – we may have underestimated the period during which a person is contagious, for instance and the variety of ways in which the virus spreads.

You have said that time and trust are critical to good epidemic management. What do you mean?

The delay between the frontline health workers noticing something unusual, in the form of an emerging disease, and that information travelling up the line to central decision-makers is critical.
To illustrate that, a 2018 simulation that the Gates Foundation conducted of a flu pandemic estimated that there would be 28,000 after one month, 10 million after three months, and 33 million after six months. The virus used in that simulation was more contagious and deadly than Covid-19 – though they are both respiratory viruses – but the example shows how all epidemics grow exponentially. So if you can catch an epidemic in the first few weeks, it makes all the difference. As for trust, it’s critical to disseminate dispassionate, evidence-based information, and not to try to mislead the population. If you do, they will stop cooperating. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen in China.

Epidemics expert Jonathan Quick: ‘The worst-case scenario for coronavirus is likely’
The former chair of the Global Health Council talks about the mentality that left the world vulnerable to the Covid-19 epidemic and what can be done to minimise its effects

In 2018 global health expert Jonathan D Quick, of Duke University in North Carolina, published a book titled The End of Epidemics: The Looming Threat to Humanity and How to Stop It. In it he prescribed measures by which the world could protect itself against devastating disease outbreaks of the likes of the 1918 flu, which killed millions and set humanity back decades. He is the former chair of the Global Health Council and a long-term collaborator of the World Health Organization (WHO).

The worst-case scenario is looking increasingly likely. We’ve now seen cases on six continents, apparently “silent” – that is, at least partly asymptomatic – chains of human-to-human transmission both inside and outside China, with additional countries reporting cases within the last week – bringing the total to 47 – and new, accelerating outbreaks in Iran, Italy and South Korea. If it becomes a pandemic, the questions are, how bad will it get and how long will it last? The case fatality rate – the proportion of cases that are fatal – has been just over 2%, much less than it was for Sars, but 20 times that of seasonal flu. There are still many unknowns – we may have underestimated the period during which a person is contagious, for instance and the variety of ways in which the virus spreads.

You have said that time and trust are critical to good epidemic management. What do you mean?

The delay between the frontline health workers noticing something unusual, in the form of an emerging disease, and that information travelling up the line to central decision-makers is critical.
To illustrate that, a 2018 simulation that the Gates Foundation conducted of a flu pandemic estimated that there would be 28,000 after one month, 10 million after three months, and 33 million after six months. The virus used in that simulation was more contagious and deadly than Covid-19 – though they are both respiratory viruses – but the example shows how all epidemics grow exponentially. So if you can catch an epidemic in the first few weeks, it makes all the difference. As for trust, it’s critical to disseminate dispassionate, evidence-based information, and not to try to mislead the population. If you do, they will stop cooperating. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen in China.

In other words, slow the pandemic down till after the election so Bernie can slap a humongous estate tax on all those dying geezers. :cool:

Reactions: sglowrider

We just got our first three cases. On is an American girl, all have ties to Italy.

We just got our first three cases. On is an American girl, all have ties to Italy.

Unless serious containment plans are in place, be prepared for the numbers to balloon up within a month if not 3 weeks. Large companies here started implementing Business continuity planning (BCPs) here already.

Last edited:
So I am NO fan of Mike Pence. But he is absolutely blowing Trump away in terms of being more "Presidential" in this news conference. Trump is standing back there behind him listing to his VP take control of the room. Funny. And sad.

Turn off the volume and just look at Pence's face. (Just Trump being Trump)

He looks like he is about to shit himself or trying so hard to push it back in. Squeaky bum time.
lol.gif
lol.gif

Reactions: RBB89
Yes, they had to speak to Trump likes he was a six year old when he wanted to know why the regular flu shot wouldn’t work. Lord help us.

Turn off the volume and just look at Pence's face. (Just Trump being Trump)

He looks like he is about to shit himself or trying so hard to push it back in. Squeaky bum time.
lol.gif
lol.gif
Pence's face looks serious because he was trying to use the Christian Mind Meld to contact Gloria Copeland to prompt Trump to talk about Copeland's theory about how Jesus protects Christians from the coronavirus.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/...-says-jesus-already-gave-us-our-shots-216790/

Reactions: sglowrider
i think Pence spends most of his time and effort trying to convince everyone he's not gay.

It's not working.
I'm on your side much of the time, but we diverge here. That's not it at all.

I think what Pence is really trying to do is convince everyone that he's really an evangelical Protestant (i.e. a true genetic Trump supporter) instead of being an ex-Roman Catholic practitioner. Converts to US Protestantism from something else are the worst, in my experience.

I can still remember all those pro war sermons from the pulpit by our minister whom I later learned was actually a Canadian national who had achieved US naturalized citizenship and then preached from the pulpit about why the US government should send soldiers into conflict without any apparent religious message whatsoever.

All Pence has to do today is to say "MAGA (wink wink) MAGA I love Trump I love Trump (wink wink). Trump loves me and I love Trump (wink wink MAGA MAGA)" and he automatically receives the mark of the beast from Trump supporters.

When we ultimately get rid of Trump, I hope noone forgets how much Pence facilitated Trump's bad behavior contrary to the teachings of any known Protestant religion that Pence claimed he followed.

When Pence stares into the distance away from Trump, he's trying to dissociate himself from Trump without having the religious balls to say publicly that Trump offends Pence's religion, Obviously, if Trump does't offend Pence's religion, then nothing else can possibly offend Pence's "religion."

Last edited:
I can still remember all those pro war sermons from the pulpit by our minister whom I later learned was actually a Canadian national who had achieved US naturalized citizenship and then preached from the pulpit about why the US government should send soldiers into conflict without any apparent religious message whatsoever.
A war mongering Canadian minister? WTF?? Have you had a stroke???

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I'm on your side much of the time, but we diverge here. That's not it at all.

I think what Pence is really trying to do is convince everyone that he's really an evangelical Protestant (i.e. a true genetic Trump supporter) instead of being an ex-Roman Catholic practitioner. Converts to US Protestantism from something else are the worst, in my experience.

All Pence has to do today is to say "MAGA (wink wink) MAGA I love Trump I love Trump (wink wink). Trump loves me and I love Trump (wink wink MAGA MAGA)" and he automatically receives the mark of the beast from Trump supporters.

When we ultimately get rid of Trump, I hope noone forgets how much Pence facilitated Trump's bad behavior contrary to the teachings of any known Protestant religion that Pence claimed he followed.

When Pence stares into the distance away from Trump, he's trying to dissociate himself from Trump without having the religious balls to say publicly that Trump offends Pence's religion, Obviously, if Trump does't offend Pence's religion, then nothing else can possibly offend Pence's "religion."
All that and ghey.

Yes, they had to speak to Trump likes he was a six year old when he wanted to know why the regular flu shot wouldn’t work. Lord help us.
He went on fox with "hunches" and claimed it was probably okay for infected people to go to work. How can anyone be so abjectly stupid? How can anyone look at this clown with his poorly applied manly makeup and third grade understanding of science and believe he's competent?

Last edited:
He went on fox with "hunches" and claimed it was probably okay for infected people to go to work. How can anyone be so abjectly stupid? How can anyone look at this clown with his poorly applied manly makeup and third grade understanding of science and believe he's competent?
He's the one eyed man and his followers are blind.

You referring to this stale genius?

Reactions: Bill4411
Fortunately, you have other examples already from the rest of the world. Besides by buying now, will also save you more money as the prices will shoot up later when the ignorant hordes rush into the shops.

A small investment for prize of feeling and looking smug later. :)
Over the weekend, the lines at the local Costco were incredibly long. From the photo on Seattle Times, it looks like about 50 ft outside the door. I thought it was long when I was there on Friday!

Anyway, it will be over in a week or so anyway, as our venerable president tells us.:(

Over the weekend, the lines at the local Costco were incredibly long. From the photo on Seattle Times, it looks like about 50 ft outside the door. I thought it was long when I was there on Friday!

Anyway, it will be over in a week or so anyway, as our venerable president tells us.:(

Panic happens when there is a lack of trust and information.
Apparently the reason why toilet rolls have been sold out is because a lot of people think the virus causes massive diarrheas. So they need to stock up.

You are too harsh on our venerable president. His uncle was a professor at UPen; therefore Trump is the smartest man alive!

How can anyone believe this clown? 63 million American adults did! Apparently, American adults love clown shows!

You'd think someone with Stage 4 lung cancer would be a bit more careful about the dangerous and irresponsible misinformation he's spewing. I guess he's going to take that sh!t to the grave.

Nothing to worry about it's just the libs trying to make Trump look bad per our Medal of Freedom winner Rush Limbaugh.

RUSH: Folks, this coronavirus thing, I want to try to put this in perspective for you. It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump. Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. (interruption) You think I’m wrong about this? You think I’m missing it by saying that’s… (interruption) Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2020/02/24/overhyped-coronavirus-weaponized-against-trump/
Nothing to worry about it's just the libs trying to make Trump look bad per our Medal of Freedom winner Rush Limbaugh.

RUSH: Folks, this coronavirus thing, I want to try to put this in perspective for you. It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump. Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. (interruption) You think I’m wrong about this? You think I’m missing it by saying that’s… (interruption) Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2020/02/24/overhyped-coronavirus-weaponized-against-trump/

You'd think someone with Stage 4 lung cancer would be a bit more careful about the dangerous and irresponsible misinformation he's spewing. I guess he's going to take that sh!t to the grave.

The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.

Ironically they maybe the words on his epitaph/tombstone.

Haven't been to Hangzhou, but I have visited Beijing once; love it!

Beijing is such a cool city. Modernity intermixed with traditional architecture. Shanghai for fun and glam but Beijing for culture.

Maybe up there more often -- the gf got posted there on a project for 2 1/2yrs.

Reactions: DrHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT