ADVERTISEMENT

This is a time it would be nice to be able to trust the president

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
Obviously we don’t want someone stirring up hysteria, but certainly seems Trump is downplaying the Corona virus. Example: he said a vaccine is close, but in reality, they are just now starting work in it and would be 6-8 months at the earliest , according to NBC. I’m sure a huge downturn in the stock market is the last thing Trump wants and the last two days have not been pretty.

Reactions: bigmac76
Nothing to worry about it's just the libs trying to make Trump look bad per our Medal of Freedom winner Rush Limbaugh.

RUSH: Folks, this coronavirus thing, I want to try to put this in perspective for you. It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump. Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. (interruption) You think I’m wrong about this? You think I’m missing it by saying that’s… (interruption) Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2020/02/24/overhyped-coronavirus-weaponized-against-trump/

Reactions: meridian
Hahah... finally someone is actually talking about this albeit from a political perspective. I have been in the midst of it for the past 2 1/2 months now. Its the case of if it doesnt happen it in the States, it doesnt matter.

giphy.gif

Its a slow creep westwards. I think its levelling out here in S'pore and in China.

Last edited:
This is madness. There have been 57 cases in the US. They want to spend 2.5 billion dollars. Yet the plain old everyday flu kills tens of thousands in the US every year.

This is madness. There have been 57 cases in the US. They want to spend 2.5 billion dollars. Yet the plain old everyday flu kills tens of thousands in the US every year.

Its worst than the flu. Flu kills like 0.1%. Coronavirus' fatality rates are 2+% at the moment.

Its also highly contagious. Mask isnt enough. It will penetrate via the membranes of the eye too. Sometimes the signs arent there for a month.

ERoTfWTUEAAFpSH

Plus people with chronic problems, heart, hypertensive are very vulnerable.

covid-fatalitymedicalcondition-0220.jpg

Last edited:
Its worst than the flu. Flu kills like 0.1%. Coronavirus' fatality rates are 2+% at the moment.

Its also highly contagious. Mask isnt enough. It will penetrate via the membranes of the eye too. Sometimes the signs arent there for a month.
I get this is not the common cold, and is more serious than the common flu. I just think our innate innumeracy is unnecessarily pushing this into hysterical territory.

Reactions: Ladoga
I get this is not the common cold, and is more serious than the common flu. I just think our innate innumeracy is unnecessarily pushing this into hysterical territory.

The mortality rate is exponentially higher than your common flu. I'm not push it into anything. I have been living with this virus for the past 2 1/2 months now. We will head into a recession because of this 'flu'.
I know what it can do and what needs to be done to nip it early. People have passed out in the middle of a shopping mall due to this virus. The symptoms don't always show up for at least two weeks to a month before. Imagine the number of contacts you would have made in that period?

Your question should be whether the US is prepared for it and willing to take the necessary steps to contain it when you get it.
A crappy healthcare system and you get like 20% fatality rate like in Iran. We have zero fatality so far here in S'pore.

ERoTfWTUEAAFpSH

Plus people with chronic problems, heart, hypertensive are very vulnerable.

covid-fatalitymedicalcondition-0220.jpg
It looks like someone with lung cancer like Rush should be more concerned about this his prospects don’t look to good if he gets the virus.

It looks like someone with lung cancer like Rush should be more concerned about this his prospects don’t look to good if he gets the virus.

Precisely. I am not bothered by it. I dont mind the reduced queues when waiting at supermarkets. You fake-cough and you will get one or two who will move away!
But there is something they are doing right here -- they just discharged two infants, a 1 week old and a 2month old babies from the hospital that had the virus.

Another thing that's interesting here -- all the confirmed cases are non-smokers and no Malay/muslims.

Globally, there were zero deaths on the 22nd of January. As of yesterday, there are well over 2,700 deaths.

28% of the cases have recovered.

The CDC has different thoughts apparently. A little surprised by the vehemence.

Precisely. I am not bothered by it. I dont mind the reduced queues when waiting at supermarkets. You fake-cough and you will get one or two who will move away!
But there is something they are doing right here -- they just discharged two infants, a 1 week old and a 2month old babies from the hospital that had the virus.

Another thing that's interesting here -- all the confirmed cases are non-smokers and no Malay/muslims.
Should I be stocking up on Pall Mall or Camel cigarettes?

Reactions: sglowrider
The mortality rate is exponentially higher than your common flu. I'm not push it into anything. I have been living with this virus for the past 2 1/2 months now. We will head into a recession because of this 'flu'.
I know what it can do and what needs to be done to nip it early. People have passed out in the middle of a shopping mall due to this virus. The symptoms don't always show up for at least two weeks to a month before. Imagine the number of contacts you would have made in that period?

Your question should be whether the US is prepared for it and willing to take the necessary steps to contain it when you get it.
A crappy healthcare system and you get like 20% fatality rate like in Iran. We have zero fatality so far here in S'pore.
If everyone in the US got it, a 2 percent death rate would mean about 6.6 million deaths. More than the Holocaust.

I believe the percentage that ends up in serious to critical condition is around 20 percent. That's 66 million. Imagine the economic devastation of tens of millions of people missing weeks of work, then being financially decimated by a long hospital stay.

Yeah. It's kind of a big deal.

Reactions: outside shooter
If everyone in the US got it, a 2 percent death rate would mean about 6.6 million deaths. More than the Holocaust.

I believe the percentage that ends up in serious to critical condition is around 20 percent. That's 66 million. Imagine the economic devastation of tens of millions of people missing weeks of work, then being financially decimated by a long hospital stay.

Like I said earlier, I have been in the middle of it since really mid-Dec. I think I am seeing the tail end of it here. The gov't needs to take some drastic measures if they are to contain it. It is a tough call -- balance between economic impact and the actual health impact. We will head into a recession as the street and shopping malls are half empty. The govt is giving some money/grants to tie the businesses over.

There are zero fatalities here so far though we have a migrant worker from Bangladesh who is not responding to any of the current treatments. But infants have been admitted and quarantined and yet been discharged which is somewhat surprising as I would have thought a 1-week old baby would be highly vulnerable.

The politicians here were useless in that they should have banned flights coming in from China early on before it became a complex web (the calculate is that a person meeting or is contact like 14 people a day, but I think this number varies from country to country) -- from a tendril/strand from China. But they didn't want to upset the Chinese leadership and the potential economic impact that it will have.

What has worked really well is due to to the healthcare workers. 16hr shifts/stand-by for the past couple of months, locking down hospitals with only one entry in and out, monitored 24/7. (There were cases of even the head of the A&E being and countless nurses quarantined here.)

Hospital systems/procedures hygiene has to be 100% and the doctors here have used a concoction of treatments to manage the problem.

From the containment side, they have sent home thousands of people (incl healthcare workers) who have had shown flu symptoms. Home lockdowns.

Home lockdowns are where the patients are not allowed to leave their homes for a couple of weeks. There will be uber/home delivery food delivery services already set up, daily care packages (like snacks, masks, sanitisation products etc ) sent, daily random checks to ensure that they are at home or there will be fines.

Lessons learnt from the SARs epidemic 17yrs ago. Thank god for institutional memory.

There seems to be a lot of skepticism in the medical community that it can be contained at this point. Your local immediate emergency might be over, but it's scattered all over the world at this point and will eventually be back in your neighborhood. There's no telling how many asymptomatic carriers are already walking around. Barring some miraculous vaccine (and universal distribution), this thing will keep popping up and evolving forever.

South Korea reports 169 new coronavirus cases, total tops 1,100

And it was something like 354 cases just on Saturday. It's morphed from a tendril into multiple complex webs now. Its a matter of math now onwards.

There seems to be a lot of skepticism in the medical community that it can be contained at this point. Your local immediate emergency might be over, but it's scattered all over the world at this point and will eventually be back in your neighborhood. There's no telling how many asymptomatic carriers are already walking around. Barring some miraculous vaccine (and universal distribution), this thing will keep popping up and evolving forever.

That is true. That's why this is not going away unless there is some global cooperation. But it first starts with the acknowledgement of the problem first so measures can be put into place. Containment is the best solution and not a vaccine.
Communications and good transportation has made this a global village and with it comes the downsides like the spread of viruses. So all this Wall malarkey is just stupid.

Genie's out of the bottle, we just need to accept that we live in one big village.

That is true. That's why this is not going away unless there is some global cooperation. But it first starts with the acknowledgement of the problem first so measures can be put into place. Containment is the best solution and not a vaccine.
Communications and good transportation has made this a global village and with it comes the downsides like the spread of viruses. So all this Wall malarkey is just stupid.

Genie's out of the bottle, we just need to accept that we live in one big village.
Screw the village! Ultranationalism, dude! The only pertinent question is how America's glorious, God-chosen leader can use this to his political advantage?

Reactions: sglowrider
Whoa . . .
Whoa what? Do you really think Trump wouldn't use an outbreak as an excuse to indefinitely delay an election he might very well lose?

I'm not suggesting he'd intentionally spread an outbreak....But use an existing one to his advantage? Oh yeah.

Perspective:

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC’s 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.
61,200 deaths! In the U.S.A! The Coronavirus has a very long way to go.

Reactions: Ladoga
Perspective:

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC’s 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.
61,200 deaths! In the U.S.A! The Coronavirus has a very long way to go.
While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

Between 12,000 - 61,000 deaths annually. Why would you report that as 61,000 deaths? I’m embarrassed for you. You should stop posting.

Reactions: Bill4411
While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

Between 12,000 - 61,000 deaths annually. Why would you report that as 61,000 deaths? I’m embarrassed for you. You should stop posting.

I cut and pasted from that right wing rag Time. I don’t care nor need you to be embarrassed for me. You pretty much already have a full time job in that department. If you carefully read you’ll see my point. Nuance isn’t your strong suit.

I cut and pasted from that right wing rag Time. I don’t care nor need you to be embarrassed for me. You pretty much already have a full time job in that department. If you carefully read you’ll see my point. Nuance isn’t your strong suit.

Or maybe you could correct your post. What the hell is wrong with you? Are you afraid of truth? No wonder the vast majority of posters accuse you of bad faith posting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT