ADVERTISEMENT

The Fred Glass “retirement”

victorbear

All-Big Ten
Sep 28, 2005
This one still makes very little sense. Safe to assume Glass is as big an IU fan as all of us. Don’t know about you guys, but if I were the AD and had hired the bball coach and it looked like we were going to be hanging banner 6 real soon, wouldn’t you want to be on that stage hoisting the trophy??? Why would you suddenly retire makes no sense.

Maybe he realized how bad he’s been at his job and did what’s best for IU. I really don’t care. He just needs to go. The sooner the better.

The problem is that Dolson will be the replacement. He might be worse if that’s possible.

Just curious why everyone so against Dolson? What has he ever done to be so unpopular as a candidate? I’ll give some credit for loyalty.

Just curious why everyone so against Dolson? What has he ever done to be so unpopular as a candidate? I’ll give some credit for loyalty.
I think it’s due to his lack of experience. IU has seen how detrimental it can be to have an AD who never played, coached or “administered” at the collegiate level. It’s a huge disadvantage and it’s hurt IU, so why go down that road again?

Maybe he realized how bad he’s been at his job and did what’s best for IU. I really don’t care. He just needs to go. The sooner the better.
You’re crazy. Top notch soccer team, top notch women’s basketball, good baseball team and the best football team in 30 years. He fired Crean and his pick of Miller was lauded by many. Not to mention, serious upgrades of our sports facilities. That’s bad?

I have known Scott casually for about fifteen years. He is a great guy, hard worker an a loyal IU guy. He needs to go run the AD at a smaller institution for a few years to get that experience.

What Fred has accomplished overall at IU is unprecedented...it is a big job and the facilities and overall sports/academics status is tremendous. The exception to this is the Basketball situation which is in part his fault for the extension and the jury is still out on AM. AM or likely another coach would be in their fourth year had Glass been allowed to let Crean go a year earlier when he wanted to so that is not on him. Glass' connections and fundraising abilities are unmatched.

Iu needs an experienced, well connected, academically-oriented, "do it the right way", track record of winning... leader. They are rare, but out there and the IU brand requires it.

You’re crazy. Top notch soccer team, top notch women’s basketball, good baseball team and the best football team in 30 years. He fired Crean and his pick of Miller was lauded by many. Not to mention, serious upgrades of our sports facilities. That’s bad?
Can't include glass in anything to do with soccer. the program was a one man legacy that has zero to do with glass. it's an autonomous program that will continue to do well for a host of reasons regardless of a cracker jack or inept AD.

I have known Scott casually for about fifteen years. He is a great guy, hard worker an a loyal IU guy. He needs to go run the AD at a smaller institution for a few years to get that experience.

What Fred has accomplished overall at IU is unprecedented...it is a big job and the facilities and overall sports/academics status is tremendous. The exception to this is the Basketball situation which is in part his fault for the extension and the jury is still out on AM. AM or likely another coach would be in their fourth year had Glass been allowed to let Crean go a year earlier when he wanted to so that is not on him. Glass' connections and fundraising abilities are unmatched.

Iu needs an experienced, well connected, academically-oriented, "do it the right way", track record of winning... leader. They are rare, but out there and the IU brand requires it.
It for sure is unprecedented not sure there’s been an AD at IU the last 50 years who missed the NCAA so many times in his tenure, solid job though we made moneyyyyyyyy!!

Seriously? You are really grasping at straws here..... Why even post it? I really am curious. Your "insight" is so amazing and informative....

This one still makes very little sense. Safe to assume Glass is as big an IU fan as all of us. Don’t know about you guys, but if I were the AD and had hired the bball coach and it looked like we were going to be hanging banner 6 real soon, wouldn’t you want to be on that stage hoisting the trophy??? Why would you suddenly retire makes no sense.

It for sure is unprecedented not sure there’s been an AD at IU the last 50 years who missed the NCAA so many times in his tenure, solid job though we made moneyyyyyyyy!!
Exactly, and if it was up to Glass, Crean wouldn’t have been fired. Glass was a huge Crean fan who wanted him retained. In fact, he gave TC every assurance he was going to remain coach but then, as everyone knows, the decision was taken away from him through the intervention of others.

Glass deserves credit for the facilities build out that was overwhelmingly and unquestionably made possible by the greatly increased Big 10 disbursements, but only the disconnected would overrate his role in any of that. It’s not that he did a poor job, but he obviously struggled in his stewardship of coaches. Hard to mess up the AD job at IU given the overall athletic and academic expectations, which have been relatively modest compared to most of the Big 10, and Glass did okay. But it’s clear the ceiling is far higher with a more visionary leader at the helm, rather than a loyal placeholder like FG.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Exactly, and if it was up to Glass, Crean wouldn’t have been fired. Glass was a huge Crean fan who wanted him retained. In fact, he gave TC every assurance he was going to remain coach but then, as everyone knows, the decision was taken away from him through the intervention of others.

Glass deserves credit for the facilities build out that was overwhelmingly and unquestionably made possible by the greatly increased Big 10 disbursements, but only the disconnected would overrate his role in any of that. It’s not that he did a poor job, but he obviously struggled in his stewardship of coaches. Hard to mess up the AD job at IU given the overall athletic and academic expectations, which have been relatively modest compared to most of the Big 10, and Glass did okay. But it’s clear the ceiling is far higher with a more visionary leader at the helm, rather than a loyal placeholder like FG.
Is that true Glass wanted to retain Crean or is that just IU folklore? Who told him to fire Crean, are these the same idiots that told him to hire lil Arch?

Is that true Glass wanted to retain Crean or is that just IU folklore? Who told him to fire Crean, are these the same idiots that told him to hire lil Arch?

Most of us were okay with the miller hire. i know i was fine with it given the circumstances.

Glass was extremely loyal to Crean and wanted him to remain. Glass told him he was safe, and Crean was headed out of town on vacation the next day. With the endorsement of the BOT and McRobbie, and certain Trustee intervened and overrode Glass, and Glass was forced to do a 180 and let him go. It’s well known who that was.

Most of us were okay with the miller hire. i know i was fine with it given the circumstances.
Right cause the only time anyone watched Dayton was their fluke elite eight run, not like we saw him coach night in and night out; I wasn’t real impressed with his loss to Witchita State in tourney his last year wasn’t it like 55-54 or something bad

Glass was extremely loyal to Crean and wanted him to remain. Glass told him he was safe, and Crean was headed out of town on vacation the next day. With the endorsement of the BOT and McRobbie, and certain Trustee intervened and overrode Glass, and Glass was forced to do a 180 and let him go. It’s well known who that was.

You have been wrong about this now under eleven different user names. I KNEW you would slither out sobbing to respond. Rent free.

Yea Lil Archie lost 64-58 to Shockers his team was 18-58 from the field 7-22 from 3......looks like things haven’t changed much!

Just to keep this fact-based and I have posted several times...Glass was ready to dismiss TC a year earlier but was held back by BOT. The next year a BOT member who most of us are familiar with stepped in and helped Glass get it done. Had that happened, AM would likely not be the coach and whomever was would be in their fourth season.

How do I know? I was told this directly while dining on Creole with TWO BOT members in a fundraising discussion.

Women’s basketball is in a tailspin right now, the best IU football team in thirty years lost its bowl game in comically pathetic fashion, men’s basketball is a mess and every Power 5 school in America has upgraded its facilities in the last decade.

Just to keep this fact-based and I have posted several times...Glass was ready to dismiss TC a year earlier but was held back by BOT. The next year a BOT member who most of us are familiar with stepped in and helped Glass get it done. Had that happened, AM would likely not be the coach and whomever was would be in their fourth season.

How do I know? I was told this directly while dining on Creole with TWO BOT members in a fundraising discussion.
I believe you, Glass waited too long that was biggest mistake....Crean should have been fired so new coach had a roster to work with knowing the mob would b impatient. Dumb, dumb, dumb

Women’s basketball is in a tailspin right now, the best IU football team in thirty years lost its bowl game in comically pathetic fashion, men’s basketball is a mess and every Power 5 school in America has upgraded its facilities in the last decade.
I'm not surprised this is your take, eeyore. A monumentally stupid take, but expected.

Last edited:
Maybe he was tired of seeing you outside of cook hall whi

I'm not surprised this is your take, eeyore. A monumentally stupid take, but expected.
How is this monumentally stupid?
Soccer's success has/had zero to do with glass.
Football was a perfect storm in getting to a bowl game and unless i'm mistaken they never beat a team with a winning record.
basketball has been a disaster under glass' stewardship.
facility upgrades are almost universal as a result of P5 teams profiting from tv contracts.

glass been terrible to marginal at best. it's a boon that he's leaving. robel as president would be a boondoggle. anyway, hopefully we win today and miller gets us back on track in hoops and the need for replacing him is gone.

A home run hire for IU would be Dr. Pat Kraft. He’s a former IU player and he’s a dynamic fundraiser for Temple, understands football and basketball both as the core of your athletic department and everything downstream benefits. And for the guys like ufo33, who think that the sports program can thrive entirely on soccer attendance alone.....Pat Kraft just built a new soccer facility at Temple and they are in the works of a brand new 35,000 campus stadium for football.

This guy would be a game-changer and IU would be foolish not to make a heavy play for him.

A home run hire for IU would be Dr. Pat Kraft. He’s a former IU player and he’s a dynamic fundraiser for Temple, understands football and basketball both as the core of your athletic department and everything downstream benefits. And for the guys like ufo33, who think that the sports program can thrive entirely on soccer attendance alone.....Pat Kraft just built a new soccer facility at Temple and they are in the works of a brand new 35,000 campus stadium for football.

This guy would be a game-changer and IU would be foolish not to make a heavy play for him.
Yes we all know this no confidence the swamp doesn’t just hire Dorkson though

I believe you, Glass waited too long that was biggest mistake....Crean should have been fired so new coach had a roster to work with knowing the mob would b impatient. Dumb, dumb, dumb
Glass never wanted to fire him, ever. Anyone close to IU knows that QB had to intervene since Glass was completely against it, so much so that he told Crean shortly beforehand that he was safe. Rent free, by the way.

The success that some attach to Glass is because they have no means of comparison with other schools and their facilities or programs. He didn’t do a bad job, but anyone who considers him superlative only does so because they don’t know any better.

Reactions: IUgradman
The success that some attach to Glass is because they have no means of comparison with other schools and their facilities or programs. He didn’t do a bad job, but anyone who considers him superlative only does so because they don’t know any better.
For the love of god as IUs AD you have ONE JOB insure the basketball program is elite. He failed miserably. F-

How is this monumentally stupid?
Soccer's success has/had zero to do with glass.
Football was a perfect storm in getting to a bowl game and unless i'm mistaken they never beat a team with a winning record.
basketball has been a disaster under glass' stewardship.
facility upgrades are almost universal as a result of P5 teams profiting from tv contracts.

glass been terrible to marginal at best. it's a boon that he's leaving. robel as president would be a boondoggle. anyway, hopefully we win today and miller gets us back on track in hoops and the need for replacing him is gone.
It's stupid to say womens basketball is in a tailspin after two overtime losses, and even dumber to downplay iu football getting to 8 wins. Finding negatives as an iu football fan in a season where they win 8 games for the first time in 25 years just shows his, and I guess your, ridiculous true colors. I'm pissed about iu basketball and disappointed in archie, too, but these takes are STUPID.

It's stupid to say womens basketball is in a tailspin after two overtime losses, and even dumber to downplay iu football getting to 8 wins. Finding negatives as an iu football fan in a season where they win 8 games for the first time in 25 years just shows his, and I guess your, ridiculous true colors. I'm pissed about iu basketball and disappointed in archie, too, but these takes are STUPID.
I think football was a perfect storm of bad teams allowing us to get to 8 wins. i hope i'm wrong. we'll find out next year. as for womens' hoops i don't follow it and have no idea. i do know more about soccer than any sport at iu and it's success has nothing to do with glass. the basketball team has been lousy. football had one good season under glass. anyway, it's a moot issue. he's gone. and i for one am glad. of the names i've heard rumored i hope kraft gets it. sports guy with relevant experience, not a lawyer with no experience. i played a d1 sport and am grad of iu-bloomington law. i wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to run an athletic department. why someone thought fred could is just in keeping with our lousy administration the last 15 years.

Reactions: IUgradman

haha this from the guy who wanted to keep Wilson the 5-win juggernaut. Face facts. You hate Glass because you are emotionally stunted. No, he’s not the greatest AD EVAR but he made the right moves in football. He erased a somewhat questionable extension in basketball by firing Crean a year removed from a conf title and then got a good young coach to replace him. But we get the tears make you feel alive. Lol.

I think football was a perfect storm of bad teams allowing us to get to 8 wins. i hope i'm wrong. we'll find out next year. as for womens' hoops i don't follow it and have no idea. i do know more about soccer than any sport at iu and it's success has nothing to do with glass. the basketball team has been lousy. football had one good season under glass. anyway, it's a moot issue. he's gone. and i for one am glad. of the names i've heard rumored i hope kraft gets it. sports guy with relevant experience, not a lawyer with no experience. i played a d1 sport and am grad of iu-bloomington law. i wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to run an athletic department. why someone thought fred could is just in keeping with our lousy administration the last 15 years.
Perfect storm or not, iu football hasnt been able to fumble it's way to 8 wins in 25 years...and they did it without their starting qb (not to take away from ramsey). People can bitch about beating teams with losing records, but past iu teams dont win that game in lincoln or west Lafayette. I hate even posting about this. It really pisses me off that I'm defending an 8-win iu football season on an iu fan board to other iu fans. You guys can pound sand.

Can't include glass in anything to do with soccer. the program was a one man legacy that has zero to do with glass. it's an autonomous program that will continue to do well for a host of reasons regardless of a cracker jack or inept AD.

well, he had to fire the guy who had the job before him...

haha this from the guy who wanted to keep Wilson the 5-win juggernaut. Face facts. You hate Glass because you are emotionally stunted. No, he’s not the greatest AD EVAR but he made the right moves in football. He erased a somewhat questionable extension in basketball by firing Crean a year removed from a conf title and then got a good young coach to replace him. But we get the tears make you feel alive. Lol.
In Glass’s 11 years we went to 4 NCAA tournaments and played in 3 bowl games, winning 0. Pull your head out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT