ADVERTISEMENT

The Dirty Dossier

You don't know whether Team Trump colluded with the Russians, so you have no basis to claim that claims of collusion are a "piece of fiction." It's a matter that's under investigation.

Unless you're privy to information I haven't seen, you also don't know that "the Clintons" were involved in the preparation of the Steele dossier. You don't know that the Clintons had even seen it before it became public.

The Steele dossier is a tiny part of Robert Mueller's extensive investigation. You can't explain how involvement by "the Clintons" in financing the work that led to the Steele dossier could establish that the dossier is bogus, let alone that Mueller's investigation is bogus.

We do know that Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort were eager to collude with people they'd been told were representatives of a Russian government effort to help elect Trump. This admitted attempt to collude with Russian operatives raises no suspicion at all, yet attenuated suggestions of "the Clintons'" involvement in financing the Steele dossier causes you to dismiss the entire Mueller investigation -- about which we know virtually nothing.

And of course no Republican suspicions are aroused by the Republican financing that got this oppo research started in the first place.

I don't mean to single you out, but your post exemplifies the Clinton Derangement Syndrome that causes too many Republicans to stop thinking as soon as they hear references to "the Clintons". Like many others on the right, you "know" the Clintons were involved in the preparation of the Steele dossier without any evidence -- and that allows you to dismiss the entire Mueller investigation -- yet you ridicule the notion of collusion by Team Trump even though they admittedly tried to collude with Russian operatives.

As I have tried to insist throughout all of the deranged Republican nonsense about Benghazi! et al., maybe it would be useful to stick with reasonably well-established facts

I don't know if Team Trump successfully colluded with the Russians, but I do know that Trump himself has been bizarrely and effusively supportive of Putin. Meanwhile, Trump has publicly engaged in an obstruction of justice that would make no sense if he had nothing to hide. I don't know if Trump is hiding collusion, but I'd be astonished if he's hiding nothing. And unlike Hillary Clinton, of course, he's the President of the United States.

But what do Republicans want to investigate? Hillary Clinton. Because of course they do.
And of course he was "only kidding" when he publicly called upon Russia to subvert our election. Wink, wink. (It wasn't until the next month that Trump Jr., Kushner, and Manafort actually met to collude with Russian operatives.)

Nothing to see here.

You don't know whether Team Trump colluded with the Russians, so you have no basis to claim that claims of collusion are a "piece of fiction." It's a matter that's under investigation.

Unless you're privy to information I haven't seen, you also don't know that "the Clintons" were involved in the preparation of the Steele dossier. You don't know that the Clintons had even seen it before it became public.

The Steele dossier is a tiny part of Robert Mueller's extensive investigation. You can't explain how involvement by "the Clintons" in financing the work that led to the Steele dossier could establish that the dossier is bogus, let alone that Mueller's investigation is bogus.

We do know that Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort were eager to collude with people they'd been told were representatives of a Russian government effort to help elect Trump. This admitted attempt to collude with Russian operatives raises no suspicion at all, yet attenuated suggestions of "the Clintons'" involvement in financing the Steele dossier causes you to dismiss the entire Mueller investigation -- about which we know virtually nothing.

And of course no Republican suspicions are aroused by the Republican financing that got this oppo research started in the first place.

I don't mean to single you out, but your post exemplifies the Clinton Derangement Syndrome that causes too many Republicans to stop thinking as soon as they hear references to "the Clintons". Like many others on the right, you "know" the Clintons were involved in the preparation of the Steele dossier without any evidence -- and that allows you to dismiss the entire Mueller investigation -- yet you ridicule the notion of collusion by Team Trump even though they admittedly tried to collude with Russian operatives.

As I have tried to insist throughout all of the deranged Republican nonsense about Benghazi! et al., maybe it would be useful to stick with reasonably well-established facts

I don't know if Team Trump successfully colluded with the Russians, but I do know that Trump himself has been bizarrely and effusively supportive of Putin. Meanwhile, Trump has publicly engaged in an obstruction of justice that would make no sense if he had nothing to hide. I don't know if Trump is hiding collusion, but I'd be astonished if he's hiding nothing. And unlike Hillary Clinton, of course, he's the President of the United States.

But what do Republicans want to investigate? Hillary Clinton. Because of course they do.
What I know is that Fusion GPS received money from a Clinton lawyer to facilitate the continuation of research against Trump which was originally being funded by another Trump opponent (probably the McCain camp IMO). This was confirmed by evidence in a separate court case. If the Steele Dossier is credible oppo research, why did Coie repeatedly deny his connection to funding it?

I can't prove that Obama colluded with Russia and some Canadians with the help of Secretary Clinton, but I'm not the one who has to. Hopefully the people investigating it will. I do know WJC got p-zaid from that transaction. I wasn't on the tarmac with Bill and Loretta either, but I can speculate they didn't talk about their grandchildren since Loretta doesn't have any. Suffice it to say I am equally as sure the Clintons are hiding "something" as you are that Trump is.

I voted for Trump because I do despise the Clintons. I would have preferred not to have had to. I do support this investigation and I will be happy when the truth comes out, even if it sinks Trump. He's an ogre. I will never defend him on a personal level. However, I feel he is the product of a decisive political landscape which existed long before he ever decided to run, and not the cause of it. I suspect all politicians, because they all lie, and there's so much dirt flying these days, nobody is clean.

I think the Russians have their hands in lots of pockets, giving and taking. In the mean time, I am waiting for proof Trump did something illegal, and so far, I don't know of anything. The Dossier is looking to be a veggie-nothingburger so far, and not because the Clintons' lawyer helped pay for it, but because they haven't produced any evidence I've seen that backs it up.

Misspelled name*

Last edited:
Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
What do they need to "get off the hook" for?

When Trump was busted for willing to work with the Russian government to get dirt on Hillary, all the apologists said, "So what? That's what ALL campaigns do."

Now, magically, it's bad?

Heck, that "judge" on Faux said she'd personally work with Satan to get dirt on an opponent.
Show proof Trump worked with the Russians during the campaign.

Reactions: Lucy01
What I know is that Fusion GPS received money from a Clinton lawyer to facilitate the continuation of research against Trump which was originally being funded by another Trump opponent (probably the McCain camp IMO). This was confirmed by evidence in a separate court case. If the Steele Dossier is credible oppo research, why did Coie repeatedly deny his connection to funding it?

I can't prove that Obama colluded with Russia and some Canadians with the help of Secretary Clinton, but I'm not the one who has to. Hopefully the people investigating it will. I do know WJC got p-zaid from that transaction. I wasn't on the tarmac with Bill and Loretta either, but I can speculate they didn't talk about their grandchildren since Loretta doesn't have any. Suffice it to say I am equally as sure the Clintons are hiding "something" as you are that Trump is.

I voted for Trump because I do despise the Clintons. I would have preferred not to have had to. I do support this investigation and I will be happy when the truth comes out, even if it sinks Trump. He's an ogre. I will never defend him on a personal level. However, I feel he is the product of a decisive political landscape which existed long before he ever decided to run, and not the cause of it. I suspect all politicians, because they all lie, and there's so much dirt flying these days, nobody is clean.

I think the Russians have their hands in lots of pockets, giving and taking. In the mean time, I am waiting for proof Trump did something illegal, and so far, I don't know of anything. The Dossier is looking to be a veggie-nothingburger so far, and not because the Clintons' lawyer helped pay for it, but because they haven't produced any evidence I've seen that backs it up.

Misspelled name*

I think there have been multiple points of the dossier that have been verified. You'd like to think the Clinton's are involved with no evidence, yet you ignore Junior obvious attempt at collusion. You ignore the ties and obvious illegal activity involved with those in Trump's campaign, like Flynn and Manafort. Mueller is still investigating and he's actually kept a pretty tight lid on things, but I'd say it's pretty obvious there is evidence. Whether it can be proven or not is the main question.

I think there have been multiple points of the dossier that have been verified. You'd like to think the Clinton's are involved with no evidence, yet you ignore Junior obvious attempt at collusion. You ignore the ties and obvious illegal activity involved with those in Trump's campaign, like Flynn and Manafort. Mueller is still investigating and he's actually kept a pretty tight lid on things, but I'd say it's pretty obvious there is evidence. Whether it can be proven or not is the main question.
I linked to the evidence the Clintons were involved--their lawyer paid it's creators millions of dollars. Are you saying Coie spent millions of dollars in a rogue mission? As to Mueller, he's the only source in town NOT leaking info to damage Trump. You say he runs a tight ship, but maybe he just doesn't have anything. If there is proof Trump broke the law, he should suffer the consequences. I guess we shall both wait for the proof.

This is unbelievable! How low the Clintons will go to get their way and the DNC was involved to.NOW we see who was really involved with the Russians.

no one sells out to Russia because it's Russia.

they sell out to money, and don't care where the money comes from as long as it spends.

and many moneyed interests with no more interest in what's best for the US citizenry than the Ruskies, spend a lot more money and buy a lot more policy than Russia.

the uranium thing, the oxy/opioids flooding the market thing, the healthcare thing, all show that there is absolutely nothing our govt and our elected leaders won't totally sell out the citizenry for personal gain for.

they love country, the flag, patriotism, religion, mom, and apple pie.

they just love money and office more.

WAY WAY WAY MORE.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Show proof Trump worked with the Russians during the campaign.

How much more clear do you need than that when told the RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT wanted to help your campaign and you say I LOVE IT and set up a meeting with them?

Jesus, you guys are THE most intellectually dishonest people to EVER breathe.

If Hillary had done that, you'd have her head on a pitchfork......and you know it.

If Hillary had done that
Not sure she didn't. We know she colluded with the DNC against Bernie, but that is all we have for sure.

What was illegal about Don Jr's opposition research? My understanding is that nothing came of that meeting. I hope to find out why there were differing versions of the details of that meeting. I am troubled by it, but everyone lies, right? Still, that doesn't prove collusion.

We know she colluded with the DNC against Bernie, but that is all we have for sure.
It still bugs me when people say this. We don't know she did that. We know the DNC wanted her to win (and really hated Bernie). And it appears that at least some in the DNC may have put their thumbs on the scale (*cough*Donna Brazile*cough*), but there isn't any evidence that Hillary and the DNC actually teamed up to attack Bernie.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, and I'd also point out that there are more subtle types of collusion that might not be provable, or even done with specific intent, but still affect the outcome (hypothetical example: sympathetic media members giving one candidate more favorable town hall questions than another).

Reactions: MrBing
What was illegal about Don Jr's opposition research? .

So, it's legal to work with one of our biggest enemies to steal an election?

And forgive me for laughing in your face after saying, "It's my understanding nothing came of it" because they've changed their story about 48 times. So, you magically believe them on that? LOL!!

Also, let's say you hire someone to kill your wife. If he doesn't do it, you still go to jail.

It still bugs me when people say this. We don't know she did that. We know the DNC wanted her to win (and really hated Bernie). And it appears that at least some in the DNC may have put their thumbs on the scale (*cough*Donna Brazile*cough*), but there isn't any evidence that Hillary and the DNC actually teamed up to attack Bernie.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, and I'd also point out that there are more subtle types of collusion that might not be provable, or even done with specific intent, but still affect the outcome (hypothetical example: sympathetic media members giving one candidate more favorable town hall questions than another).

And even if she did collude with them, so what?

They aren't a foreign government that's our enemy.

Plus, they should have never let Bernie run as a Democrat in the first place.

And even if she did collude with them, so what?

They aren't a foreign government that's our enemy.
There is such a thing as non-treasonous fraud. I'm not saying I believe anything that happened rose to such a level, but it's certainly possible.

Plus, they should have never let Bernie run as a Democrat in the first place.
Both the rules of the party and the relevant state laws demanded he have the same chance as everyone else. There was no way for them to stop him.

I fully expect for the FBI Informant, in the next day or two, to accidentally fall asleep on his stomach and choke to death on his pillow, leaving a suicide note that just says, Not Hilla............

I am starting to see a pattern here when HRC is involved.

Righties think if somebody dies from jaywalking, it was Hillary's fault and add them to her Death List.

Yet when there is a mountain of proof their hero Trump is dirty, they whine it's "all made up" and think he's more pure than Jesus.

The BBC retracted their implication that Jeb had anything to do with it. Additionally:

Bush's spokeswoman, Kristy Campbell, denied any involvement between Bush and Steele.

"It is absolutely not true that Governor Bush had any knowledge or involvement with this gentleman and his allegations," Bush spokeswoman Kristy Campbell told Reuters by phone. "It’s nothing we’ve ever seen before."
My guess is that you will never get your chance to see a 'pee tape' since it likely doesn't exist. This Russia collusion business has never made any sense to me, but knowing the Clintons were involved connects some dots as to why an unsubstantiated piece of fiction has been so hard to kill.
So the fact that virtually everyone in the current administration has had contact with Russian officials, lied about it, and continuously changed their stories: this doesn't bother you? Adding in the fact that Trump will insult anyone and everyone except for his man crush Putin. The Clintons are irrelevant: if they did something, lock them up too. But my god man, everyone in the administration right now has told some stupid lie about Russia at some point. It's bordering on absurd. How can you just look past that?

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
So the fact that virtually everyone in the current administration has had contact with Russian officials, lied about it, and continuously changed their stories: this doesn't bother you? Adding in the fact that Trump will insult anyone and everyone except for his man crush Putin. The Clintons are irrelevant: if they did something, lock them up too. But my god man, everyone in the administration right now has told some stupid lie about Russia at some point. It's bordering on absurd. How can you just look past that?
I am bothered by the extent that a foreign government has its tentacles in our political machine. But unlike you and others, I won't dismiss as irrelevant their involvement with the losers of the last election as well simply because they lost. Everyone in politics is a liar. In fact, Trump tells the best lies. Just ask him.

You will never convince me that a guy like Trump, whom everyone says is too dumb for the job he was elected to do, managed to conspire with Russkies to steal a narrow EC victory from Hillary, when on the afternoon of the election nearly every poll and pundit predicted her chance to win at 90% or better. For every wiki that leaked, Trump would 'leak' something just as foul on his very own. Trump Had Manafort, but Hillary had Podesta. Had Hillary not deleted her emails, there might not have been enough interest in their content to inspire wiki to share them. Do you blame Russia that Hillary was exposed by her communications as a vile person?

Our choices were the worst ever, but I guess the country felt like your candidate was wors-er. Ultimately, it was still American citizens who voted. Believe me, I understand the desire to just blow up last year's election result and have a do over, but we can't. But hey, in a couple weeks you can join a group who plan to scream helplessly at the sky. Good luck with that.

You will never convince me that a guy like Trump, whom everyone says is too dumb for the job he was elected to do, managed to conspire with Russkies to steal a narrow EC victory from Hillary, t.

Why did Trump need to be smart to do that? All they had to say was, "We'll do everything we can to help you beat Hillary and work with your people" and all he had to do was say, "Sign me up."?

Also, EVERYTHING Trump has done is make excuses for Putin. You don't find that odd? Trump will rip Girl Scouts, kittens and rainbows but NEVER blast Putin.

There's a reason for that.

Heck, he STILL hasn't followed thru on those sanctions the GOP passed about a month ago.

Reactions: Bill4411
Why did Trump need to be smart to do that? All they had to say was, "We'll do everything we can to help you beat Hillary and work with your people" and all he had to do was say, "Sign me up."?

Also, EVERYTHING Trump has done is make excuses for Putin. You don't find that odd? Trump will rip Girl Scouts, kittens and rainbows but NEVER blast Putin.

There's a reason for that.

Heck, he STILL hasn't followed thru on those sanctions the GOP passed about a month ago.
First off Trump is not dumb, He said this morning that he went to a prestigious Ivy League school and he was very smart :D

Jonathan Chait does a nice job explaining that the "dirty dossier" story is cynical bullshit:

[Republicans'] version of the story uses Steele’s research in Russia as evidence that Steele is a tool of the Russian government. Steele’s report, charges the The Wall Street Journal editorial page, is “based largely on anonymous, Kremlin-connected sources.” Ergo, “Strip out the middlemen, and it appears that Democrats paid for Russians to compile wild allegations about a U.S. presidential candidate. Did someone say ‘collusion’?” Former Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer has circulated the same bizarre theory.

. . . [This] theory of alt-collusion opens the way for a prosecution of the people investigating Trump. After all, if Putin was using Steele to spread nefarious lies about Trump, then why did the FBI treat these charges seriously? Could it be that the FBI is also a tool of the Russian conspiracy?

The purpose of the theory of alt-collusion is not necessarily to be swallowed whole. It is merely to be taken plausibly enough to raise questions about Trump’s investigators. If the FBI might be compromised by a sinister Russian conspiracy, then it follows that James Comey is suspect. And since Mueller is close with Comey, he too is suspect.

“The Fusion news means the FBI’s role in Russia’s election interference must now be investigated,” charges the Journal. And Mueller’s close relationship to sacked FBI director James Comey therefore dictates Mueller “resigning to prevent further political turmoil over that conflict of interest.” Versions of this message have been echoed by Tucker Carlson and Representative Devin Nunes. “I think the next focus is going to be on whether or not did the FBI use this dossier to get any warrants, did they use it to open a counterintelligence investigation and if they did, if they’re using unverified information to open up inquiries into American citizens,” he tells Tucker Carlson.

In some ways the theory of alt-collusion mirrors the propaganda methods used by Putin himself. When William Browder publicizes Russia’s murder of crusading lawyer Sergei Magnitsky, Russia turns around and implies that maybe Browder is the one who murdered Magnitsky. The accusation is preposterous, but that doesn’t matter. The purpose is to create an offsetting accusation against the accuser, so that the average bystander can only puzzle at the spectacle of two sides making the same allegation against each other.

This method can work if you have enough mouthpieces who are sufficiently devoid of skepticism or intellectual self-respect to be willing to spread your obviously absurd message. A key fact that Trump has discovered, and which has enabled his takeover of the Republican Party, is that this is a resource the American right has in abundant supply.​

Reactions: hoosboot and MrBing
Not sure she didn't. We know she colluded with the DNC against Bernie, but that is all we have for sure.

What was illegal about Don Jr's opposition research? My understanding is that nothing came of that meeting. I hope to find out why there were differing versions of the details of that meeting. I am troubled by it, but everyone lies, right? Still, that doesn't prove collusion.

Well, there’s a revelation right there. The DNC preferred a candidate who was a lifelong member of their party over a guy suddenly calling himself one.

We should investigate this.

Well, there’s a revelation right there. The DNC preferred a candidate who was a lifelong member of their party over a guy suddenly calling himself one.

We should investigate this.
Yes. Some at the Democratic National Committee preferred the Democrat in the Democratic primary election. Shocking.

The use of "collude" is also amusing. A horny couple colludes to get their clothes off. The cops collude with victims and witnesses to catch criminals. Businesses collude with suppliers to make sales to customers. Everyone colludes, so what's the big deal?

Yes. Some at the Democratic National Committee preferred the Democrat in the Democratic primary election. Shocking.

The use of "collude" is also amusing. A horny couple colludes to get their clothes off. The cops collude with victims and witnesses to catch criminals. Businesses collude with suppliers to make sales to customers. Everyone colludes, so what's the big deal?

This morning I colluded with my comrades at the local donut shop in order to get fatter.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
I am bothered by the extent that a foreign government has its tentacles in our political machine. But unlike you and others, I won't dismiss as irrelevant their involvement with the losers of the last election as well simply because they lost. Everyone in politics is a liar. In fact, Trump tells the best lies. Just ask him.

You will never convince me that a guy like Trump, whom everyone says is too dumb for the job he was elected to do, managed to conspire with Russkies to steal a narrow EC victory from Hillary, when on the afternoon of the election nearly every poll and pundit predicted her chance to win at 90% or better. For every wiki that leaked, Trump would 'leak' something just as foul on his very own. Trump Had Manafort, but Hillary had Podesta. Had Hillary not deleted her emails, there might not have been enough interest in their content to inspire wiki to share them. Do you blame Russia that Hillary was exposed by her communications as a vile person?

Our choices were the worst ever, but I guess the country felt like your candidate was wors-er. Ultimately, it was still American citizens who voted. Believe me, I understand the desire to just blow up last year's election result and have a do over, but we can't. But hey, in a couple weeks you can join a group who plan to scream helplessly at the sky. Good luck with that.
What, exactly, in the emails do you believe portrayed Hillary as a vile person?

And of course he was "only kidding" when he publicly called upon Russia to subvert our election. Wink, wink. (It wasn't until the next month that Trump Jr., Kushner, and Manafort actually met to collude with Russian operatives.)

Interesting that the lady they met with also worked with Fusion GPS in trying to get the Magnitsky Act repealed...and that she initiated the contact with Trump Jr. at the same time that Fusion GPS was being paid to dig up what appear to be fake collusion stories about Trump.

And again, this after Hillary did the whole uranium one deal which led to her "husband" (marriage of conveincr only at this point) receiving a $500k payday from Putin's cronies.

After all the Russia collusion mess slung at Trump, I would lay money that anything he did is nothing in comparison to the hoodwinked going on in the Obama DOJ and DOS.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT