ADVERTISEMENT

The D-G league is now 20 years old. How will NIL impact this league?

elijawon

Junior
May 20, 2009
The just curious what the board members think the new NIL policies will change about how kids approach the G League vs College decision. What say all you folks that are much smarter than me?

The just curious what the board members think the new NIL policies will change about how kids approach the G League vs College decision. What say all you folks that are much smarter than me?

I can't say I have anymore enlightened opinion than you or anybody else would. We're in uncharted territory here -- so the best anybody can do is guess.

My guess is that NIL will, on balance, benefit college athletics at the expense of developmental/minor leagues. But there are a few factors that each athlete will have to consider, and everybody's situation will be unique.

First is exposure. Most elite athletes' goal, I think, will be to make it to the highest professional level they can in their sport. Obviously, every elite amateur basketball player would dream of playing in the NBA. And, for some, that's more realistic than others. All athletes covet exposure -- both in terms of normal spectators and in terms of scouts and coaches. And I think, for basketball, college gets more exposure than the G-League would -- particularly among fans.

Second is academic work. Do they put a value on education or do they see it as an unnecessary hassle (incl. making and keeping grades) that gets in the way of their athletic work? For the former, college is more palatable now because they can make some bucks and get a paid-for college education. For the latter, the G-League would still be more attractive.

And third is dollar amounts. We don't have a great idea yet how much a college athlete can expect to bring in via NIL. It's still in its infancy. As it stands, G-League contracts can be fairly lucrative without the need to hassle with academics. If the $ for NIL competes well with G-League money, then the advantage the G-League has had for those wanting/needing immediate income while auditioning for the NBA will diminish.

I can't say I have anymore enlightened opinion than you or anybody else would. We're in uncharted territory here -- so the best anybody can do is guess.

My guess is that NIL will, on balance, benefit college athletics at the expense of developmental/minor leagues. But there are a few factors that each athlete will have to consider, and everybody's situation will be unique.

First is exposure. Most elite athletes' goal, I think, will be to make it to the highest professional level they can in their sport. Obviously, every elite amateur basketball player would dream of playing in the NBA. And, for some, that's more realistic than others. All athletes covet exposure -- both in terms of normal spectators and in terms of scouts and coaches. And I think, for basketball, college gets more exposure than the G-League would -- particularly among fans.

Second is academic work. Do they put a value on education or do they see it as an unnecessary hassle (incl. making and keeping grades) that gets in the way of their athletic work? For the former, college is more palatable now because they can make some bucks and get a paid-for college education. For the latter, the G-League would still be more attractive.

And third is dollar amounts. We don't have a great idea yet how much a college athlete can expect to bring in via NIL. It's still in its infancy. As it stands, G-League contracts can be fairly lucrative without the need to hassle with academics. If the $ for NIL competes well with G-League money, then the advantage the G-League has had for those wanting/needing immediate income while auditioning for the NBA will diminish.
I think that is a very good opinion and probably accurate. I was wondering if the NIL would end the G League, or somehow NCAA basketball ended and some sort of strange college basketball- G league merger happened. Hard to tell where this will head. Nothing is safe anymore from change.

The players are going to be very "loosely" associated with the college name on their chest now... The D/G league will only be for those who don't have people willing to take their SAT for them.

I would guess it makes the gleague far less attractive. I do think the 1 and done rule will be removed soon though.

Is there a reason why G League players can't make business deals that have to do with their name and likeness? If I saw a kid who was great I might sign him just to get ahead on him because I am figuring out he will be a great NBA player.

Internally, the NBA would like nothing more than to expand the G-League. Higher salarirs with an emphasis on developing young talent ... a true minor league. The catch is it has to pay for itself. They aren't there yet...

Is there a reason why G League players can't make business deals that have to do with their name and likeness? If I saw a kid who was great I might sign him just to get ahead on him because I am figuring out he will be a great NBA player.

Does anyone really watch G league games? I think they have nowhere near the audience of high major college programs.

Does anyone really watch G league games? I think they have nowhere near the audience of high major college programs.
You make a great point. I am not even sure there are G league games online or on television. Perhaps this NIL could cause more interest in the G league if players from that league can do commercials, or be a spokesman for companies.

You make a great point. I am not even sure there are G league games online or on television. Perhaps this NIL could cause more interest in the G league if players from that league can do commercials, or be a spokesman for companies.

no company is paying G league guys unless they are betting on them to stay signed once they get drafted. Paying a guy in the Gleague is an awful ROI.

I’m guessing there’s nothing keeping G league guys from endorsements now. But they’re G league guys.

I’m guessing there’s nothing keeping G league guys from endorsements now. But they’re G league guys.
I’m too lazy to look up and too uninformed to know but have any major NBA players developed out of the G League? Or is more development for the bottom half of the rosters?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT