ADVERTISEMENT

Getting old in the age of NIL?

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
The last few years have really shaken up college basketball. NIL, the new transfer rules, and the Covid bonus year have had significant short term impacts, and long term consequences that will be significant, but remain murky.

Looking at just IU for a second we have a couple of old players that transferred in (X and Kopp). We have a 6th year player in Race. And we have TJD who many thought would already be playing professionally. Money may have certainly been a deciding factor for the later two coming back, and money will continue to be a lure for IU to secure and retain both HS players and transfers.

I remember Brian Evans being redshirted, content to sit on a bench and await his turn. Nil wasn’t a factor back then. The new guys that IU (or anyone) brings in now have money to consider in PT.

there has been a lot of discussion here on the get old and stay old philosophy, and it seems that:

1. Getting old and staying old has now changed a little (ie with transfers, you can be old but not have the team continuity)

2. We are on a collision course with the future/the Covid exemption. In the short term we are seeing some really old teams (Wisconsin last year, us this year). Some of that is the extra Covid year. Some is the transfers. Some is the money to stay (which can be more than some pro options). But, is this temporary?

in another thread @TMP mentioned Wisconsin having a lack of talent and experience this season. For decades we have seen them utilize a get old and stay old philosophy, with enough talent that they can patiently watch develop under the tutelage of veteran system guys.

can that work in NIL? Do those talented youngsters get poached?

Even for a program like IU that will be one of the elite (top 5, IMO) nil programs, what does the future hold as far as potentially getting old, staying old, or even having classes develop together over years? We are very old and experienced now, but that is going to change.

A lot to think about. Sorry this is so long, and rambling.

just wondering how this new age of college basketball will look for us, and for others?

Last edited:
I think it is hard to say right now. The coaching staff is new and IU may/may not turn things around soon. Both of those things impact recruiting and establishing deep connections with HS coaches/cities. This season may have a big impact on future recruiting since Woods on is still in the honeymoon phase. It will greatly influence how much NIL stuff means to future recruits.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I think it is hard to say right now. The coaching staff is new and IU may/may not turn things around soon. Both of those things impact recruiting and establishing deep connections with HS coaches/cities. This season may have a big impact on future recruiting since Woods on is still in the honeymoon phase. It will greatly influence how much NIL stuff means to future recruits.
Had a Conversation with my buddy about this. IU has established they will give you a lot more
Money in basketball than any other B1G school. Kids want to win, but kids want money more at this point IMO. If NIL is there, talent will
Continue.

IU is really gonna have to try to F this up going forward.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Had a Conversation with my buddy about this. IU has established they will give you a lot more
Money in basketball than any other B1G school. Kids want to win, but kids want money more at this point IMO. If NIL is there, talent will
Continue.

IU is really gonna have to try to F this up going forward.
Right, but assuming that IU players are making way more than anyone else in the conference, does IU in the future more closely resemble a Kentucky as far as turnover and youth?

I’m not sure anyone knows. Nil helps get players (enticing players with money), it also helps retain players (why would they want to leave when they can’t make more anywhere else, even in the pros).

still, with no salary cap I can’t help thinking that there will be some pretty unhappy players, and the concept of NIL seems to push away from development and move into a mercenary mentality where immediate results are demanded.

I can’t see a team like Wisconsin or PU winning like they have been with a get old, stay old system philosophy. Too many other teams will be buying way more talent.

Kids want to win, but kids want money more at this point IMO.
this is a recipe for high expectations because you've stacked your team with talent, but results not up to expectations because your key components value money more than winning.

I'll be done with college athletics (MBB and FB) within five years, most likely. And I don't know if there are enough younger fans (I'm only 50) as invested in being college sports fans that will support it thru thick and thin as what's necessary to sustain and grow it.

I enjoyed the hell out of watching college football again last weekend, so maybe I can't quit these two sports like I have others (NFL, MLB, NASCAR), but I know most of the people in my friends groups feel similarly to me and can feel themselves losing interest little by little (not just bc of NIL, but it's a prominent factor).

That was quite a tangent...sorry.

this is a recipe for high expectations because you've stacked your team with talent, but results not up to expectations because your key components value money more than winning.

I'll be done with college athletics (MBB and FB) within five years, most likely. And I don't know if there are enough younger fans (I'm only 50) as invested in being college sports fans that will support it thru thick and thin as what's necessary to sustain and grow it.

I enjoyed the hell out of watching college football again last weekend, so maybe I can't quit these two sports like I have others (NFL, MLB, NASCAR), but I know most of the people in my friends groups feel similarly to me and can feel themselves losing interest little by little (not just bc of NIL, but it's a prominent factor).

With the NFL (NBA, MLB, etc.) b/c of the salary cap you get much more parity than you will see in college. At least that makes it more interesting.

college going the route of pro rules with absolutely no guardrails will make things tough to watch. It will be like the Yankees with no cap playing against the Grand Rapids Griffins.

It will be interesting to see the fans that feel this way when we start winning. Winning normally cures all. Got to win tho. If we don’t win this will be a train wreck for IU.

It will be interesting to see the fans that feel this way when we start winning. Winning normally cures all. Got to win tho. If we don’t win this will be a train wreck for IU.
Many fans will be oblivious to what these players are making. That should help.

getting back to my analogy with the Yankees (with no salary cap) beating up in a team like the Grand Rapids Griffons , I know who the public is going to “hate” and who they will want to see win. Will there be many long time Yankee fans that feel the same way, or do they just care about another W? I’m not sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT