ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks, Vets

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
and families.

Serving the country in the military requires sacrifices ... and risks.

Citizens stay safe because there are soldiers willing to protect liberty, here and elsewhere.

Screw all the politics - you went, you served, you did your duty, your families sacrificed while you served, and you earned a thanks and a lot more.

tenor.gif

Kudos and well wishes.
May your spirit stay forever young.

and families.

Citizens stay safe because there are soldiers willing to protect liberty, here and elsewhere.

Screw all the politics - you went, you served, you did your duty, your families sacrificed while you served, and you earned a thanks and a lot more.

tenor.gif

Kudos and well wishes.
USMC 67-71. Viet Nam 69.

and families.

tenor.gif

Kudos and well wishes.
U.S. Army. 1972-1975. West Germany and Berlin.

U.S. Army. 1972-1975. West Germany and Berlin.

You should talk to @Rockport Zebra. He was in Amberg - maybe as early as late '75. Not sure when he went over. He was still there when I went over and visited in 77. Strange trip from the jump. Drank scotch underage at O'Hare talking to a full-length-fur-coat-wearing pimp. Landed in Frankfurt needing sleep. Got run out of our first meal in a restaurant in the train station in Nuremberg by a bomb scare from the Baader-Meinhof Group. So my first meal in Germany became a fish sandwich at a McDonalds. Took a milk train to Amberg. Our booked hotel closed for the holidays so we had to stay in a rented bedroom of a flat above a drug store, where our co-renter/translator was a German doctor who left before the war, and become an American citizen by taking his oath in the courthouse in our hometown - Rockport, Indiana! Made our first visit to the base and Rockport was on the TV - a UMW strike had gotten violent and the Sheriff had made a makeshift jail with wood stakes and ropes on the courthouse square. "Stay inside the ropes until bailed out." My first legal visit to a bar was there. Got to pee on a wall for what passed as a restroom. Got shot down by a beautiful German girl in a bar - turns out she liked other beautiful German girls (or at least that was what she told me). Almost got killed by a crazy taxi driver who drive us into town at about 80 mph. Almost got beaten up by a former Nazi soldier who tossed a chair at us when I walked in with 2 US soldiers - one of whom told him "Russkies primo." And when I left, I had to spend 24 hours at the airport with no hotel. Got run out of the movies there when a guy left a briefcase in the aisle and they cleared the joint to see if it was a bomb. I feel asleep on a bench and was awakened by the muzzle of a machine gun carried by a soldier who told me I couldn't sleep there - while his partner's muzzled Shepherd acted like he wanted to eat me.

And the worst thing - had to ask for ice in Cokes.

I was glad to land back home in the USA - even in Newark.

Got to see NYC while on a week-long drunken bender with frat brothers.

All in all it convinced me to never live in Germany or NYC.

Then, on September 30, 1978, according to plan, I met Zebra on the top row of Memorial Stadium, south side of the press box. He had mustered out in Jersey, flew to Indy on Uncle Sam's last nickel, and got a ride from a high school friend down top Bloomington. We watched IM Hipp beat the snot out of IU.

Read about it here: https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1978-9-30-indiana

I had forgotten about our barefoot punter. (Only Corso, eh?)

You should talk to @Rockport Zebra. He was in Amberg - maybe as early as late '75. Not sure when he went over. He was still there when I went over and visited in 77. Strange trip from the jump. Drank scotch underage at O'Hare talking to a full-length-fur-coat-wearing pimp. Landed in Frankfurt needing sleep. Got run out of our first meal in a restaurant in the train station in Nuremberg by a bomb scare from the Baader-Meinhof Group. So my first meal in Germany became a fish sandwich at a McDonalds. Took a milk train to Amberg. Our booked hotel closed for the holidays so we had to stay in a rented bedroom of a flat above a drug store, where our co-renter/translator was a German doctor who left before the war, and become an American citizen by taking his oath in the courthouse in our hometown - Rockport, Indiana! Made our first visit to the base and Rockport was on the TV - a UMW strike had gotten violent and the Sheriff had made a makeshift jail with wood stakes and ropes on the courthouse square. "Stay inside the ropes until bailed out." My first legal visit to a bar was there. Got to pee on a wall for what passed as a restroom. Got shot down by a beautiful German girl in a bar - turns out she liked other beautiful German girls (or at least that was what she told me). Almost got killed by a crazy taxi driver who drive us into town at about 80 mph. Almost got beaten up by a former Nazi soldier who tossed a chair at us when I walked in with 2 US soldiers - one of whom told him "Russkies primo." And when I left, I had to spend 24 hours at the airport with no hotel. Got run out of the movies there when a guy left a briefcase in the aisle and they cleared the joint to see if it was a bomb. I feel asleep on a bench and was awakened by the muzzle of a machine gun carried by a soldier who told me I couldn't sleep there - while his partner's muzzled Shepherd acted like he wanted to eat me.

Then, on September 30, 1978, according to plan, I met Zebra on the top row of Memorial Stadium, south side of the press box. He had mustered out in Jersey, flew to Indy on Uncle Sam's last nickel, and got a ride from a high school friend down top Bloomington. We watched IM Hipp beat the snot out of IU.

Read about it here: https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1978-9-30-indiana

What a memorable trip! I flew into Frankfurt after spending a year and a half in Basic Training, Language school, and 'spy school' in Texas. After processing, got on a train with my buddy to Augsburg, which is south of Amberg, about 60km west of Munich. They loved Americans there, as far as I could tell. Or, at least tolerated us. All the 'schtamptischers' (old guys playing cards at the gasthaus) claim the fought on the Russian front - never against the Americans. And, after they got drunk enough, they started singing old Germany military songs.

On the train to Augsburg, my buddy and I didn't realize we were sitting in 1st class. This older German couple was there with their dachsund and looked at us like the German lady looked at Lt Nixon when he was looking for Vat 69 in her house.

Anyway, the first day I got to my unit in Augsburg, I was in a big room with about 6 other guys. They were all getting ready to go out to a bierfest and invited me along. I'm 19 and had been drinking on post, but never legally outside of it. So, stepping into a larger German beer tent was quite an experience. 5 liters (I didn't make it all the way through the 5th one) later, I stumbled out of the tent and got on the strassenbahn (street car) which took me almost back to the kaserne (barracks). I made it about halfway and puked all over the street car.

Some nice German couple helped me clean it up - yes, really! they're used to public drunkeness there) - made it to my room, and passed out. Welcome to Germany!

Our company was moved to Ansbach, which is on the west side of Nuremburg from Amberg, and they HATED Americans. We'd go into a gasthaus or restaurant and they just wouldn't even acknowledge we were there. And the clubs that did allow Americans in always erupted into some kind of brawl at night. Chairs would be flying! We'd just sit there and watch the show.

Anyplace the Infantry had large numbers, the Germans did not appreciate. In Augsburg we had a lot of MI and support units.

I have many other war stories - some of them actually involving the military - but I won't bore you with those.

2 weeks after I got out, I was watching the Rolling Stones in Bloomington in Assembly Hall. 2 weeks after that, I started classes at IU. I felt like I was in heaven. I love Germany but, frankly, hated the military. Trained me to be a Russian linguist and I spent a lot of time in the motor pool.......

Oh, and my unit was part of the effort to capture part of the Bader-Meinhof Gang in '73, before I got there. I think they got some kind of unit award for that. Our company mainly was an Electronic Warfare unit.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

You are kidding about it being a long strange trip it was. Can't say I had any wild trips like that while in the Marines but I did get to see Asia and Florida with some wild experiences.

You are kidding about it being a long strange trip it was. Can't say I had any wild trips like that while in the Marines but I did get to see Asia and Florida with some wild experiences.
U. S. Navy 2/71 -2/75 Was in Bloomington protesting the war. And got my draft notice when I really couldn't care about grades. Boot camp north of Chicago in the winter. New London CT submarine school...other billets were filled. USS Skate SSN 578 for overhaul in Virginia for 2+ years. Then back to CT. Then north Atlantic. The Milky Way is amazing out there. Phosphorescence is phenomenal as the submarine is seldom on the surface except to transfer mail, movies, some personnel. (Think Red October...) North Sea...Bremerhaven...Italy. Qualified in Submarines..YN2...Leading Yeoman...Got two weeks leave late in 75 and got to see Rome, Florence, Venice, Innsbruck, Munich, Zurich...with a friend...traveling on trains. Got to helm the submarine during combat drills. It was a fast attack submarine...not the ones with the missiles. During the deployments, the Vice President resigned...then the President. Strange stuff when in the military. Came back and got a Business/Finance degree from IU-B. Got married. Went to Madison WI for a job. Recession hit. Got Civil and Environmental Engineering degree from UW-Madison. No way I would go to Purdue for a civil. Thanks to the citizens of the USA for the real GI bill back then. 2 college degrees and a house loan.... Support the troops!

U. S. Navy 2/71 -2/75 Was in Bloomington protesting the war. And got my draft notice when I really couldn't care about grades. Boot camp north of Chicago in the winter. New London CT submarine school...other billets were filled. USS Skate SSN 578 for overhaul in Virginia for 2+ years. Then back to CT. Then north Atlantic. The Milky Way is amazing out there. Phosphorescence is phenomenal as the submarine is seldom on the surface except to transfer mail, movies, some personnel. (Think Red October...) North Sea...Bremerhaven...Italy. Qualified in Submarines..YN2...Leading Yeoman...Got two weeks leave late in 75 and got to see Rome, Florence, Venice, Innsbruck, Munich, Zurich...with a friend...traveling on trains. Got to helm the submarine during combat drills. It was a fast attack submarine...not the ones with the missiles. During the deployments, the Vice President resigned...then the President. Strange stuff when in the military. Came back and got a Business/Finance degree from IU-B. Got married. Went to Madison WI for a job. Recession hit. Got Civil and Environmental Engineering degree from UW-Madison. No way I would go to Purdue for a civil. Thanks to the citizens of the USA for the real GI bill back then. 2 college degrees and a house loan.... Support the troops!

Wow. Many props.. no way I could do a submarine.

Wow. Many props.. no way I could do a submarine.
I did not agree with the War in Vietnam, I did and do love the USA and respect other peoples. Knew I couldn't leave the USA. Had to get my head straight too. Enlisted. During boot one selects 5 options of career paths. I was interested in construction...Seebees...Construction Bureau. Of course, they already had me and did not have to agree to put me where I wanted. Was earning about $120/month as an E-2 in boot. Could get a whopping $55/month submarine pay. Just sign here they said. Ordered to submarine school. Psychological and other tests commenced. Sit in a pressurized tank...escape training...confined space fire drills etc. Had done quite a bit of spelunking so thought confined spaces weren't a problem. Lived on a barge with crew quarters that sat adjacent to the drydocked boat. Then got apartment in Virginia Beach. Underway was a different story. Watch Das Boat..or Red October...It is like sitting in a small machinery space with 100 young men working together. There is no escape. You are so very...stuck. Make the best of it. Learned a lot about myself. Getting qualified in submarines involves intense training in all aspects of damage control, emergencies, standing watches, mechanical, electrical, systems, etc. Quite the education. Grew up. Had no choice. That was the plan. Really gave me the perspective that there are other ways of life outside of southern Indiana. Inner city, different cultures, education levels, broken families, varied ways of doing things, others' goals, social and economic disparities...a broadening of opportunities, and travel to other countries. It was total immersion in cultural anthropological shock. Glad I went in. Glad I got out. Thanks, for the second chance...I reinvented myself. By the way, today, one submarine is able to take out an enemy task force consisting of an air craft carrier, a cruiser, destroyers, and other submarines, with one or two shots. It may not survive the retaliation. Please let diplomacy and cultural exchanges and empathy be the name of the game. Not saying to agree with others. Saying they have different perspectives and are people...respect them...but have strong military and diplomatic abilities.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT