ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question to Christians.

UTFO

Hall of Famer
Feb 2, 2004
No snark or sarcasm, I promise.

I've read the Bible (as in, have a decent familiarity w each book, etc.) since I was a kid.

My favorite passages as a kid were the 10th chapter of Mark ("he who is greatest among you shall be your servant" - it was my high school quote in my year book 33 year ago) and the "fruits of the spirit" passage in Galatians.

Where does Trumpism and Trump fit into things like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control - the literal fruits?

And if he who is greatest among you shall be your servant, and he who is chieftest among the great is the one who came to serve all - how is that reconciled when adoring a man who needs constant serving? Trump doesn't do anything for anybody else, and he's proud of it.

I am agnostic. Jesus' divinity is not certain to me. But what is certain to me is that the message associated w him (preached by him) was the turning point for our civilization. No longer was the focus on a god who needed sacrifices to provide rain, etc. rather it was how we treated each other that mattered, and that God was not meant to be wholly understandable.

Turn the other cheek. Why? God says.

Love your enemy. Why? God says.

Do unto others...why? God says.

Some real, real evolved ways of thinking, from a time when lawlessness and cruelty abounded.

With Trump as the standard bearer for American Christianity...I just wonder how it doesn't give some true believers real pause. Not just about Trump, but faith in general.

Because if Jesus came, lived selflessly and died for our sins...only to have a guy like Trump vainly, sinfully lead his people...

Oh well. I'm not surprised, actually. A country that can create and enrichen as many televangelists, prosperity gospelists, etc. as the USA can certainly produce a POTUS like Trump.

How do you square your relationship w Christ w your relationship w Trumpism? That's my Q.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
If you’re looking to the president for spiritual guidance, you have an extremely messed up life my friend. I feel sorry for you if that is the case.

I've read the Bible (as in, have a decent familiarity w each book, etc.) since I was a kid.

My favorite passages as a kid were the 10th chapter of Mark ("he who is greatest among you shall be your servant" - it was my high school quote in my year book 33 year ago) and the "fruits of the spirit" passage in Galatians.

Where does Trumpism and Trump fit into things like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control - the literal fruits?

And if he who is greatest among you shall be your servant, and he who is chieftest among the great is the one who came to serve all - how is that reconciled when adoring a man who needs constant serving? Trump doesn't do anything for anybody else, and he's proud of it.

I am agnostic. Jesus' divinity is not certain to me. But what is certain to me is that the message associated w him (preached by him) was the turning point for our civilization. No longer was the focus on a god who needed sacrifices to provide rain, etc. rather it was how we treated each other that mattered, and that God was not meant to be wholly understandable.

Some real, real evolved ways of thinking, from a time when lawlessness and cruelty abounded.

With Trump as the standard bearer for American Christianity...I just wonder how it doesn't give some true believers real pause. Not just about Trump, but faith in general.

Because if Jesus came, lived selflessly and died for our sins...only to have a guy like Trump vainly, sinfully lead his people...

Oh well. I'm not surprised, actually. A country that can create and enrichen as many televangelists, prosperity gospelists, etc. as the USA can certainly produce a POTUS like Trump.

How do you square your relationship w Christ w your relationship w Trumpism? That's my Q.
Sigh.

Your assumption that “Trumpism” and “Christianity” are to be equated is a fatal flaw.

Your assumption that Trump is the standard bearer for American Christianity is a fatal flaw.

If you’re looking to the president for spiritual guidance, you have an extremely messed up life my friend. I feel sorry for you if that is the case.
eb80850c5624b5d78ce7ca052accb757

I’m here to help UTFO 👍 Under the current system it’s basically a binary decision.

Option A: Vote for a narcissist asshole who doesn’t believe in killing 100s of thousands of babies each year.

Option B: Vote for an old man with dementia who advocates for the killing of 100s of thousands of baby. Option A seems like a no brainer.

Now, a better question for you to ask UTFO is why would any Christian ever vote for a Democrat? It’s insane to claim to be a Christian and willing vote for a party who advocates for the killing of babies. What are your thoughts on that UTFO? You seem like a very concerned citizen when it comes to the countries morality.

Reactions: jet812

In a lifetime of cons, this is perhaps Trump's greatest - - convincing MAGA that he's a good, Christian man, convincing many that he is, in fact, divinely appointed. I could go through a laundry list of facts that strongly suggest that he is, in fact, the antithesis of Christianity but everyone is already familiar with those facts.

As I see it, there are two things MAGA typically points to in a tortuous effort to reconcile Christianity with support for Trump - - abortion and his Supreme Court picks. With respect to abortion, Trump was pro-abortion when he was a Democrat not that many years ago. He became a Republican because he saw that as an easier path to the presidency and he needed to modify his abortion stance accordingly. He doesn't have any moral conviction about abortion. He doesn't have any moral conviction about anything.

With respect to the Supreme Court, I don't remember reading anything in the Bible about Supreme Court justices. Oh, wait. There's a passage that references SCOTUS in a book right after Corinthians - - Conservatives 6:3.

If you don’t see the snark and criticism imbedded in words and phrases like “Trumpism,” “Adoring Trump,” or “Trump as the standard barer for American Christianity” you have a problem. A big problem.

Your post highlights another significant problem now rooted in our culture and politics. That problem is the notion that a president, any president, is someone in whom we have become emotionally invested. That emotional investment leads to excessive adoration in the case of Obama and excessive hate in the case of Trump. We encourage this with all the motorcades, and ceremonial garbage of the office. The president is simply the chief executive officer in charge of the executive branch together with a smattering of other specific authority. . Period! He is not the national leader of anything let alone tge face of Christianity. He certainly doesn’t run the country. Making the office more than that is one of the many problems we face.

With respect to the Supreme Court, I don't remember reading anything in the Bible about Supreme Court justices. Oh, wait. There's a passage that references SCOTUS in a book right after Corinthians - - Conservatives 6:3.
Trump’s SCOTUS picks were all pretty “bleh”. He could have picked some hard, party line, Alito/ Thomas mother ****ers. Lord knows it would have been deserved after Sotomayor and subsequently KBJ. The Democrats have made it clear. Progressive banshee women as Supreme Court appointments from here on out.

Instead Trump went with left leaning constitutionalist moderates. Better than what a Democrat would appoint for sure. Not really palatable to any real conservative.

Sigh.

The idea that Christians can only vote for someone entirely blameless is one of the laziest of the many anti Trump screeds.

I think Trump is an idiot and unfit to be president. But the notion that I, as a Christian, am somehow a hypocrite or not a “real” Christian if I vote for him is truly dumb.

Some of Gods prophets throughout the Bible were no angels themselves. Moses was a murderer. Elijah ran from God and begged Him to kill him. David was a murderer and adulterer. Noah was a drunk.

God still used them.

Note- I am NOT saying Trump is someone divinely appointed by God. Just that being a sinner does NOT mean God cannot work through him. Or that I, as a Christian, am somehow not allowed to vote for him.

That problem is the notion that a president, any president, is someone in whom we have become emotionally invested. That emotional investment leads to excessive adoration in the case of Obama and excessive hate in the case of Trump.
@stollcpa

This sentence above is the exact reason COH catches so much shit (and deserves it) from the Left on this board. See if you can figure out what I am talking about, and be willing to admit it.

This in a longer post aimed at chiding a poster's use of imbedded snark and criticism.

In a lifetime of cons, this is perhaps Trump's greatest - - convincing MAGA that he's a good, Christian man, convincing many that he is, in fact, divinely appointed. I could go through a laundry list of facts that strongly suggest that he is, in fact, the antithesis of Christianity but everyone is already familiar with those facts.

As I see it, there are two things MAGA typically points to in a tortuous effort to reconcile Christianity with support for Trump - - abortion and his Supreme Court picks. With respect to abortion, Trump was pro-abortion when he was a Democrat not that many years ago. He became a Republican because he saw that as an easier path to the presidency and he needed to modify his abortion stance accordingly. He doesn't have any moral conviction about abortion. He doesn't have any moral conviction about anything.

You are correct that abortion played a huge role in the Dems losing the “white working-class union families” portion of their post-1964 laundry list of interest groups. But it was ignoring their economic interests that was the final straw. Obama promised the unions card-check, ignored it, and then (both directly and indirectly) sacrificed a huge union selling point (collectively-bargained health insurance plans) to ObamaCare. Hillary did not even try to salve that wound, and folks were not going to ignore their conscience and get lied to about their pocketbook too.

The Dems are trying to replace those voters with LBGQT+ voters, and (contrary to the most recent biggest lies told by the Democrats) are doing it with the help of “evil Republican Supreme Court appointees,” who (so far) have sustained arguments that “discrimination on the basis of sex” protects homosexuality, transsexuality, and same-sex marriages. (Contrary to the great Democrat talking point that Republican appointees will pursue solely Republican business interests, those same evil appointees have toed the progressive line on disability discrimination laws since 1988, and upheld Obamacare too. Yet, to this day, the average Democrat voter still accepts that Republican appointees to the Supreme Court are evil political tools of the GOP. Facts be damned.)

And, apparently, also believe that all Christians are Trump voters.

For those that care about the Christianity of a President, Trump isn't your man. He's undoubtedly the least Christian of any President we've had in the office my entire lifetime (starts with JFK). That includes Obama, who was not a Muslim, guys, so don't start with that stuff. ;)

And there was plenty of snark in your post. Also, Trump isn't close to being the "standard bearer for American Christianity."

Last edited:
Sigh.

Your assumption that “Trumpism” and “Christianity” are to be equated is a fatal flaw.

Your assumption that Trump is the standard bearer for American Christianity is a fatal flaw.
Trumpism and Christianity most definitely aren't the same. However, evangelical Christians disproportionately vote for Trump. They can't be supporting him because he's a good Christian so it's other things like abortion, which he's careful to say he's against, though I personally doubt he gives a rat's ass either way on the issue.

Reactions: Cap99 and UncleMark
If you don’t see the snark and criticism imbedded in words and phrases like “Trumpism,” “Adoring Trump,” or “Trump as the standard barer for American Christianity” you have a problem. A big problem.

Your post highlights another significant problem now rooted in our culture and politics. That problem is the notion that a president, any president, is someone in whom we have become emotionally invested. That emotional investment leads to excessive adoration in the case of Obama and excessive hate in the case of Trump. We encourage this with all the motorcades, and ceremonial garbage of the office. The president is simply the chief executive officer in charge of the executive branch together with a smattering of other specific authority. . Period! He is not the national leader of anything let alone tge face of Christianity. He certainly doesn’t run the country. Making the office more than that is one of the many problems we face.
There was excessive adoration of Obama without a doubt. I'd say that the adoration of Trump is just as excessive among is devoted base. Obama was also hated by many of the same crowd that adores him and Trump is definitely hated by even more, IMO.

Reactions: NPT and UncleMark
@stollcpa

This sentence above is the exact reason COH catches so much shit (and deserves it) from the Left on this board. See if you can figure out what I am talking about, and be willing to admit it.

This in a longer post aimed at chiding a poster's use of imbedded snark and criticism.
I think you’re being unfair in this example. CO gave a serious response to a troll post that didn’t deserve it. Context should matter. UTFO consistently shit posts and has never added any value or attempted to add value to the board. He just trolls the same stupid post, Christian and MAGA are dumb/evil etc.

Last edited:
You are correct that abortion played a huge role in the Dems losing the “white working-class union families” portion of their post-1964 laundry list of interest groups. But it was ignoring their economic interests that was the final straw. Obama promised the unions card-check, ignored it, and then (both directly and indirectly) sacrificed a huge union selling point (collectively-bargained health insurance plans) to ObamaCare. Hillary did not even try to salve that wound, and folks were not going to ignore their conscience and get lied to about their pocketbook too.

The Dems are trying to replace those voters with LBGQT+ voters, and (contrary to the most recent biggest lies told by the Democrats) are doing it with the help of “evil Republican Supreme Court appointees,” who (so far) have sustained arguments that “discrimination on the basis of sex” protects homosexuality, transsexuality, and same-sex marriages. (Contrary to the great Democrat talking point that Republican appointees will pursue solely Republican business interests, those same evil appointees have toed the progressive line on disability discrimination laws since 1988, and upheld Obamacare too. Yet, to this day, the average Democrat voter still accepts that Republican appointees to the Supreme Court are evil political tools of the GOP. Facts be damned.)

That’s quite a “kitchen sink” response. Reminds me of the WC Fields quote, “If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”

@stollcpa

Yeah, he conveniently ignores (or is oblivious to) the cult-like adoration of Trump. Did you know he’s been unjustly charged - - just like Jesus?

Yeah, he conveniently ignores (or is oblivious to) the cult-like adoration of Trump. Did you know he’s been unjustly charged - - just like Jesus?
Neither. I don’t care whether there is or isn’t a cult like following. The point is totally irrelevant to anything about politics or Trump. Attaching importance to the cult like following claptrap confines you to thinking about people instead of thinking about issues. Trump was mostly correct about everything from Nordstream to the Southern Border. Cultishness is irrelevant.

• Haha
Reactions: zeke4ahs
Trumpism and Christianity most definitely aren't the same. However, evangelical Christians disproportionately vote for Trump. They can't be supporting him because he's a good Christian so it's other things like abortion, which he's careful to say he's against, though I personally doubt he gives a rat's ass either way on the issue.
An important characteristic of a good Christian is not judging who is a good Christian.

People around here who say Trump or VPM are not “good Christians “ don’t even know how ignorant they sound, especially those who claim to be atheist or agnostic.

Last edited:
Neither. I don’t care whether there is or isn’t a cult like following. The point is totally irrelevant to anything about politics or Trump. Attaching importance to the cult like following claptrap confines you to thinking about people instead of thinking about issues. Trump was mostly correct about everything from Nordstream to the Southern Border. Cultishness is irrelevant.
No. You said there was “excessive adoration” of Obama and excessive hatred for Trump. That ignores and/or is dismissive of the adoration that Trump receives from his huge MAGA base.

The hackery is yet again on full display.

is dismissive of the adoration that Trump receives from his huge MAGA base.
i think his point is whether it exists or not is immaterial. that we focus on same is a distraction from the issues and results we ought to be focusing on. saying there's a "cult" doesn't really mean anything other than to poke the other side. whether it's trump or woke. the results/consequences are all that are germane - to anything

You forgot the "Not a" to start the thread title.

PS - I will add this to the discussion

1. We were better off when Presidents could talk with Billy Graham.

2.History will show that Jerry Falwell's domestic impact on American politics since the bicentennial will exceed that of most politicians, including the Presidents.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Spartans9312
PS - I will add this to the discussion

1. We were better off when Presidents could talk with Billy Graham.

2.History will show that Jerry Falwell's domestic impact on American politics since the bicentennial will exceed that of most politicians, including the Presidents.

giphy.gif
And they did talk to Billy. BTW, Samaritan’s purse seems to do a bang up job.

An important characteristic of a good Christian is not judging who is a good Christian.

People around here who say Trump or VPM are not “good Christians “ don’t even know how ignorant they sound, especially those who claim to be atheist or agnostic.
Who said I was a good Christian? 😉

It’s objectively obvious Trump isn’t much of a Christian. He knows almost nothing about the Bible. He’s been asked. He doesn't have a church membership - I doubt that's happened since JFK as well. When asked what he what ask Jesus' or God's forgiveness for anything, he said he has done nothing requiring forgiveness. Think about that one. LOL!

I think you’re being unfair in this example. CO gave a serious response to a troll post that didn’t deserve it. Context should matter. UTFO consistently shit posts and has never added any value or attempted to add value to the board. He just trolls the same stupid post, Christian and MAGA are dumb/evil etc.
Oh, yeah?

Well, you are so obviously wrong in this case, and not worth my time.
7-8-Paul-Tiny-Sturgess.gif

(Yeah, that works.)
:D

Trump’s SCOTUS picks were all pretty “bleh”. He could have picked some hard, party line, Alito/ Thomas mother ****ers. Lord knows it would have been deserved after Sotomayor and subsequently KBJ. The Democrats have made it clear. Progressive banshee women as Supreme Court appointments from here on out.

Instead Trump went with left leaning constitutionalist moderates. Better than what a Democrat would appoint for sure. Not really palatable to any real conservative.
Maybe you’ve heard of Amy Coney Barrett? She of People of Praise fame? Banshee women? More of your moronic misogynistic babbling.

I’d say the bigger problem is excessive adoration of Trump. Let me run look for my Obama shirt, hat, flag, ….oh wait. That didn’t happen, did it?

Sigh.

The idea that Christians can only vote for someone entirely blameless is one of the laziest of the many anti Trump screeds.

I think Trump is an idiot and unfit to be president. But the notion that I, as a Christian, am somehow a hypocrite or not a “real” Christian if I vote for him is truly dumb.

Some of Gods prophets throughout the Bible were no angels themselves. Moses was a murderer. Elijah ran from God and begged Him to kill him. David was a murderer and adulterer. Noah was a drunk.

God still used them.

Note- I am NOT saying Trump is someone divinely appointed by God. Just that being a sinner does NOT mean God cannot work through him. Or that I, as a Christian, am somehow not allowed to vote for him.
So you can reconcile your conscience pretty easily. God isn’t using Trump for anything. IMo

Maybe you have forgotten what Clarence Thomas himself has actually said he is trying to do? Not Democrats, but Thomas himself.

I sat in church Sunday with the exact same thoughts. As my minister spoke, it was hard not to think that Trump is the antithesis of every single thing Jesus supported. As I left the church, the first car I saw driving by had an F Joe Biden, lots of gun stickers, a confederate flag and of course multiple Trump signs. I’ll never understand it.

I bet he gave a rat’s ass when/ifit involved him Or his family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT