ADVERTISEMENT

Is eliminating grading in high school a bridge too far?

There's an answer from a person who believes that grades are meant to measure mastery of a subject.

There are plenty of gifted people that I am unable to relate to, but how would the student ace the test with a perfect score if he didn't master the subject. One doesn't inherently know physics, do they? Some learning must have been required, no?

On the flip side of your argument, there's that book smart overachiever that busts their ass and is rewarded for doing so with good grades (under the aforementioned scenario) since they are working hard to fix their mistakes. When that overachiever gets placed into a high-stakes position and is unable to meet the demands, what happens? How do they cope given they have been rewarded for pure effort and now that reward is no longer given?

There are plenty of gifted people that I am unable to relate to, but how would the student ace the test with a perfect score if he didn't master the subject. One doesn't inherently know physics, do they? Some learning must have been required, no?

On the flip side of your argument, there's that book smart overachiever that busts their ass and is rewarded for doing so with good grades (under the aforementioned scenario) since they are working hard to fix their mistakes. When that overachiever gets placed into a high-stakes position and is unable to meet the demands, what happens? How do they cope given they have been rewarded for pure effort and now that reward is no longer given?
So, not going to answer. Okay.

I've seen this subject discussed among some in the education field. Here's an email that just went out at a woke Chicago suburban high school (public) regarding an AP English class:

“ Hi families!

In the spirit of progressive education, I have done away with “bad” grades (oh, how I wish I could do away with them altogether!). Students who are earning lower than a “B” have been given an “Incomplete” (I) grade for Quarter 1. This allows them to go back and make up missed work without the negative academic and social-emotional impact of a low letter grade. A quick Google search will tell you why giving bad grades is a bad idea, but for me personally in the classroom, I don’t want a student to see themselves as a letter grade...even if it is an A. Identifying as such often leads to stress, anxiety, poor self-esteem, self-loathing, etc. It’s great if kids get great grades, but for those who struggle—or even struggle to get the “good” grades—the social construct of grading is detrimental.

Students who receive an “I” will have until the end of the semester to make up missed work. In addition, any student at any time can redo an assignment if they are dissatisfied with their final product/grade—this includes homework, classwork, tests, quizzes. The purpose of education is to LEARN and GROW and hopefully to understand that said learning and growing is super important.

Thanks as always for your support,

[Teacher] ”

I have a lot of problems with this. Within the liberal mindset, though, I do think we should be teaching SEL to give kids the tools to help struggle with bad grades if they get them, survive, and grow from them. In some cases, I would recommend using https://edubirdie.com/do-my-assignment to help with very difficult tasks, such as essays. This will give students a sense of support and that they can rely on someone. As a result, they will have less stress It seems, though, that many in education want to teach SEL and then take away all the obstacles they would use their SEL training to overcome.
It seems to me that grades can demotivate someone to learn and add stress, but for someone it is the best motivation to get better grades and become the best in the class. I was a representative of the latter.
By the way, physics was my most problematic subject, I didn't like it very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I've seen this subject discussed among some in the education field. Here's an email that just went out at a woke Chicago suburban high school (public) regarding an AP English class:

“ Hi families!

In the spirit of progressive education, I have done away with “bad” grades (oh, how I wish I could do away with them altogether!). Students who are earning lower than a “B” have been given an “Incomplete” (I) grade for Quarter 1. This allows them to go back and make up missed work without the negative academic and social-emotional impact of a low letter grade. A quick Google search will tell you why giving bad grades is a bad idea, but for me personally in the classroom, I don’t want a student to see themselves as a letter grade...even if it is an A. Identifying as such often leads to stress, anxiety, poor self-esteem, self-loathing, etc. It’s great if kids get great grades, but for those who struggle—or even struggle to get the “good” grades—the social construct of grading is detrimental.

Students who receive an “I” will have until the end of the semester to make up missed work. In addition, any student at any time can redo an assignment if they are dissatisfied with their final product/grade—this includes homework, classwork, tests, quizzes. The purpose of education is to LEARN and GROW and hopefully to understand that said learning and growing is super important.

Thanks as always for your support,

[Teacher] ”

I have a lot of problems with this. Within the liberal mindset, though, I do think we should be teaching SEL to give kids the tools to help struggle with bad grades if they get them, survive, and grow from them. It seems, though, that many in education want to teach SEL and then take away all the obstacles they would use their SEL training to overcome.

= 'reparations'

At some point, the other side/'inflictors'(?) will need their own reparations, just to survive.

My ancestors are one thing, but I shouldn't have to constantly apologize for being caucasian, straight, male & healthy.

'I am not my brother's keeper'

I'm for reparations (now being given) to continue, but not too many, & not too fast., so all can benefit equally, at the same time.

Btw, you/society/governments will never be able to equal us all up evenly. We/humans weren't ever designed to be that way, ever.

We are different individuals, in & of ourselves.

One last thing, what's wrong with more 'magnet schools'????? They usually work better than the alternative, produce better students/young adults, & are cost efficient/effective.

:O

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT