ADVERTISEMENT

Thank goodness Allen took the D over

Actually Carter scored on a pass downfield and ran it in on the last play because iirc, two IU DBs picked each other off and another either fell down or made a half hearted dive at him. It should have never come down to that play because a Michigan RB threw the ball out of bounds on the play before to stop the clock. Of course the officials didn't assess a penalty for a blatant illegal play and the rest is Michigan History. Not to pick on you Sope, but that play is still etched in my brain. Just another IU grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory instance. LOL
While the play before was a deliberate fumble to stop the clock, it wasn't illegal at the time. That play had a profound influence on the NCAA's decision shortly thereafter to make that kind of "fumble" illegal. The rest is correct, as is Jackskip's reminder that the game woul have ended as a tie rather than an IU win ( had UM not scored on the "bonus" play).

I was a student at IU at the time, and we were listening to the game in Indy at the wedding reception of a friend who was a recent IU grad and campus neighbor. Prior to the ruling of a fumble, we were doing some heavy celebratory drinking. After the fumble, we were doing some heavy misery drinking. Such is life as an IU fan.

Actually Carter scored on a pass downfield and ran it in on the last play because iirc, two IU DBs picked each other off and another either fell down or made a half hearted dive at him. It should have never come down to that play because a Michigan RB threw the ball out of bounds on the play before to stop the clock. Of course the officials didn't assess a penalty for a blatant illegal play and the rest is Michigan History. Not to pick on you Sope, but that play is still etched in my brain. Just another IU grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory instance. LOL
No worries. Your next-to-last sentence is kinda the point of my post. So no picking on me at issue.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 82IU
I would have called it a catch also but the crucial aspect was the first call was incomplete. Now there has to be much more evidence to overturn than t9 let the play stand.
Regardless, Brando was the worst I have ever heard. Unbelievable errors. Made me wonder if he were watching the game live or via a monitor system.
...akin to calling the game after reading the knowledge from a ticker tape...

Reactions: vesuvius13
The D struggled for a good chunk of the game, though they stiffened considerably in the red zone. Plenty for that unit to work on, and it starts up front. Definitely need better play up there.
So true but I feel prospects for positive are possible to attain and felt goal line strength is a great indicator of mind over matter.

I know.

Trying to bag on Warren because Carolina played horrible on defense is one thing, but he's not the main man on defense. Co anything as a title is just a reason for more pay.

Carolina is not HIS defense.
Exactly. GC runs that show, and CW jumped quickly when he had the chance to go coach with him again.

Isn't that something - the mistakes - that sums up IU football over the last 25 years? We've seen that movie before . . . like when Michigan freshman WR Anthony freaking Carter scores a last second, hail Mary TD to beat IU after IU played a whale of a game and was tied with Michigan so many years ago . . . what we haven't seen is someone else making those same mistakes and "giving" us a win that we really haven't earned.

I'm not trying to start a row here. I'm just trying to assess whether IU is really creating something different and better than we've had these many years.
At the least there is a definitely more investment made to and attention paid to than back when that 'hail mary' and other let downs took place.

No.

If this was a repeat of the past, IU would have neither made the goal line stand nor the 2:00 minute drill. That’s the kind of crap that the other teams always did to us.
IU fans have, understandably, mixed emotions or confusion on this aspect because they haven’t seen it before.
There were what...43 seconds left on Ill last drive? I have seen us lose in 43 seconds...more than once.

I'm sure that's true, but I have it from a source I trust very much that CW was not discouraged from pursuing another opportunity.
Without question. It was a bad fit from the start, and both sides were happy to move forward “amicably separate”. Allen didn’t really know him when he was hired, and was sold first and foremost as a recruiter, rather than as a defensive practitioner. Bad fit from the get go.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and mk30
Your version is more upbeat than mine.
OL seems bad at run blocking.
Run game non existent.
QB threw high a lot.
DL could not stop the run.
The only stat we won was points (turnovers but we did not do much with them and I would not count the last one).
I am happy with a win but wished it had been 27-6.
I count the last one. The clock was still ticking and IU forced a BIG play that was needed to preserve the win.

Without question. It was a bad fit from the start, and both sides were happy to move forward “amicably separate”. Allen didn’t really know him when he was hired, and was sold first and foremost as a recruiter, rather than as a defensive practitioner. Bad fit from the get go.
Also that military background certainly influenced Allen to a greater degree than it should have. Allen holds mental toughness in high regard as he should. But Warren lacked the basic knowledge to be a DC let alone to run Allen's 4-2-5. He had no understanding and learned none about it.

Also that military background certainly influenced Allen to a greater degree than it should have. Allen holds mental toughness in high regard as he should. But Warren lacked the basic knowledge to be a DC let alone to run Allen's 4-2-5. He had no understanding and learned none about it.
It’s much more about “fit” than it is about what you know (they all know a ton). Warren knew plenty, but the fit was never right. We’ve had a number of those issues during TA’s tenure.

I'm not as worried about the run game as some of you guys.

At game end their big safety's could not cover our speed. Sure then can pound the run be we exploited their vulnerability when it mattered. That to me was new OC settling in with brand new QB, Skill Players, and new HC. What could possibly go wrong?

Not sure what was expected but I'm freaking thrilled. We have a team again folks. Excellent! Tom Allen provided leadership, changed coaches and players. Stayed under the radar and let the talking get done on the field.

We held a real B1G offense with one game played to under 21, which I love as a benchmark. Always feel we have a chance if we hold opponents under 21.

Have a great day Hoosiers! We played Friday night against a conference team at home and won. Excellent way to start the weekend.

Love this board. Peace. Mobile.
Agree that we have a team again even if it's not great. Mentioned to my wife that IU looked like a team again. At the end of last year those guys gave up and looked nothing like a team.

It wouldn’t have technically been a victory had we stopped them.
It would have been a tie as Corso elected to kick the point after instead of going for the win. He was fine with a tie at The Big House.

I think Warren understood the 4-2-5 enough, but he was highly risk averse and rarely blitzed. When IU has done well defensively under Allen, it has used an aggressive bend/don't break defense. Offenses will pick up yardage and first downs, but will usually need to convert 2 or 3 third and longs and avoid turnovers to score

I think Warren understood the 4-2-5 enough, but he was highly risk averse and rarely blitzed. When IU has done well defensively under Allen, it has used an aggressive bend/don't break defense. Offenses will pick up yardage and first downs, but will usually need to convert 2 or 3 third and longs and avoid turnovers to score
Tom made the decision to make a change and run the D himself. One game in and so far so good.

Sounds like the good old days where IU faithful always pointed to the stat sheet as some kind of moral victory yet had an “L” at the end of the day. Think I’ll take the “W” instead. In the words of the great Bill Belichick: “Stats are for losers.”
Agree. Ohio State is the type of program that can complain about style points in a win. Indiana should celebrate every W (particularly a conference W) no matter how it was earned.

Agree. Ohio State is the type of program that can complain about style points in a win. Indiana should celebrate every W (particularly a conference W) no matter how it was earned.
As we say in golf...it isn't how...it is how many.

Turnovers are what an Allen D does. They always give up yards but they always dial up enough aggression to get turnovers.

The lack of a run game is majorly concerning. It will get us creamed in games against better competition. I see no way forward but an air raid type offense with short, quick passes.
Need to throw the ball to set up the run. Play action with draw plays. Disappointed no counters. We'll never know how good Shivers is with the line as bad as it is. The D's lack of effectiveness against the run also explains why Shivers looked so great in practice. Even running behind the really bad OL he was effective against IU's run defense.

Allen was right, there is a lot to "cleanup'. Not sure I agree that the OL will "get better" unless he means from horrible to marginally less awful. It is very hard to believe that at this point CTA doesn't see what he has to do with the OL.

I might be in a minority here, but I typically suspect something is amiss when a coach wears smedium shirts and seems to flex with his arms crossed most every time the camera is on him. Looks kinda fake or a cover up for lack of knowledge/coaching acumen. Easy to second guess that defensive product we saw last year though. If they’d been world-beaters, I might not have noticed.

It would have been a tie as Corso elected to kick the point after instead of going for the win. He was fine with a tie at The Big House.
That's what I was referring to is that it was a major accomplishment just to tie Michigan at the Big House and that it felt like a victory to get out of there with the tie. It was just another gut punch in a long list of IU losses and just when you think that there are no new ways to lose a game, the Hoosiers find a way. LOL. It was just so refreshing to see us win a game that looked like we were going to lose. BTW, Big Marlon Flemming (RIP) was a major contributor on the OLine that year. I remember seeing him on campus walking to class one day. He was a "Good Sized" individual!

It’s much more about “fit” than it is about what you know (they all know a ton). Warren knew plenty, but the fit was never right. We’ve had a number of those issues during TA’s tenure.
...that's what the 4-2-5 remark was about + never having been a DC..."FIT"...

...hence he didn't understand how to use the 4-2-5...

Captain Obvious here to re-state how Run game-wise, The Hiller OL units have gotten worse and worse each year. Look at how Stevie Scott’s production went down each year, culminating in having to resort to the Wildcat late in ‘20 to get an extra blocker on the field. Should have been gone after that. If this bunch doesn’t improve drastically in season, there can be no more hesitation to send him packing. With IU and TA’s want to be that of a Defensive oriented, shorten the game, ball control kind of system, this lack of production can’t continue/won’t succeed.

Wilson and Frey were able to develop better rushing OL units with QBs who were not passing threats at all in Trey and Zander.
We don't cut back ever. Key to a good run game.

I might be in a minority here, but I typically suspect something is amiss when a coach wears smedium shirts and seems to flex with his arms crossed most every time the camera is on him. Looks kinda fake or a cover up for lack of knowledge/coaching acumen. Easy to second guess that defensive product we saw last year though. If they’d been world-beaters, I might not have noticed.
Says the guy that's wearing pants so tight it squeezes the small brain in his ass.

You are correct. I was at a work event years ago that featured Bo as a speaker. Afterwards we got autographed hats etc from him and the opportunity for a brief conversation. I mentioned being bummed/stunned at how that game ended and Bo immediately looked up from signing, and in an animated way, said ”can you believe Corso played for a tie in that game? He had a chance for Indiana to win at Michigan (he said the word Michigan as if it was the most revered word in the dictionary) Stadium but went for the tie“ He was incredulous.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT