ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana St Thoughts

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Positives:

I like how they jumped out to a quick start. Obviously Lucas popping two early ones opened things up for the offense. There was a run earlier in the game, I think it was a zone scheme but the offensive line completely collapsed the Indiana State front four. Yes it was ISU but nice to see them being physically dominant. The offense was verys efficient in terms of completion percentage and third down conversion.

The defense looked good again. I'm not going to rehash the stats I already posted but very stingy indeed. Looks like this is going to be a strength for this time. Pretty solid on all three levels. I feel like I need to watch the game again so I can get into the specifics.

Negatives:

Obviously things got a little sloppy especially in the second quarter. The focus needs to be better but at least it was after they were up 21-0 on an FCS school. Compare that to the Idaho game last year where they came out sluggish and made things a whole lot more interesting than they needed to be.

I thought both the o-line and d-lines had some disappointing breakdowns. I'm not sure if it was a focus issue or a scheme issue, or a combination of the two. But it's concerning since it happened against am FCS opponent.

QB Situation - The consensus seems to be that Tave is QB1. Reading between the lines I thought it was apparent when TJ started the second half. I had assumed Sorsby would start the second half. Also the over snaps ended up being very uneven, unlike last week.

Yes the offense put up better numbers with Tave out there. I promise I'm not trying to be a contrarian but I'm not convinced that the better performance was necessarily a function of specifically what TJ was doing. For example I think Lucas going off had a lot to do with it more than Jackson being in command of the offense. I think Bell had a hot streak. Yes Jackson still had to execute and he did, so props for that. I'm not trying to be a hater I'm just not convinced that yesterday was a decisive blow in the battle but I see to be in the minority.

I don't have an axe to grind, I just want what's best for the program. I do think it's awful close so if Jackson is the man then I support that.

Lucas - I have to confess I had not been fully the Lucas bandwagon but now I am a believer.

Camper - I really hope he is okay. See comments on Lucas.

Walt Bell - The guy is streaky for sure but he does get hot sometimes. If he can be a little more consistent I think he can be a good OC. But again, and no disrespect to ISU and Coach Mallory, we need to see Indiana's offense look like that against even competition.

Next week v Louisville is when we start to get some answers. It's a big game. I already have that nervous energy thinking about it. Go Hoosiers. LEO.

I do not know how good ISU is or isn’t. Several people have said Luoisville will be telling.
OSU has 4 TDS against Youngstown and we are still first half. Does that make our D good? Or are OSUs young QBs growing?

Positives:

I like how they jumped out to a quick start. Obviously Lucas popping two early ones opened things up for the offense. There was a run earlier in the game, I think it was a zone scheme but the offensive line completely collapsed the Indiana State front four. Yes it was ISU but nice to see them being physically dominant. The offense was verys efficient in terms of completion percentage and third down conversion.

The defense looked good again. I'm not going to rehash the stats I already posted but very stingy indeed. Looks like this is going to be a strength for this time. Pretty solid on all three levels. I feel like I need to watch the game again so I can get into the specifics.

Negatives:

Obviously things got a little sloppy especially in the second quarter. The focus needs to be better but at least it was after they were up 21-0 on an FCS school. Compare that to the Idaho game last year where they came out sluggish and made things a whole lot more interesting than they needed to be.

I thought both the o-line and d-lines had some disappointing breakdowns. I'm not sure if it was a focus issue or a scheme issue, or a combination of the two. But it's concerning since it happened against am FCS opponent.

QB Situation - The consensus seems to be that Tave is QB1. Reading between the lines I thought it was apparent when TJ started the second half. I had assumed Sorsby would start the second half. Also the over snaps ended up being very uneven, unlike last week.

Yes the offense put up better numbers with Tave out there. I promise I'm not trying to be a contrarian but I'm not convinced that the better performance was necessarily a function of specifically what TJ was doing. For example I think Lucas going off had a lot to do with it more than Jackson being in command of the offense. I think Bell had a hot streak. Yes Jackson still had to execute and he did, so props for that. I'm not trying to be a hater I'm just not convinced that yesterday was a decisive blow in the battle but I see to be in the minority.

I don't have an axe to grind, I just want what's best for the program. I do think it's awful close so if Jackson is the man then I support that.

Lucas - I have to confess I had not been fully the Lucas bandwagon but now I am a believer.

Camper - I really hope he is okay. See comments on Lucas.

Walt Bell - The guy is streaky for sure but he does get hot sometimes. If he can be a little more consistent I think he can be a good OC. But again, and no disrespect to ISU and Coach Mallory, we need to see Indiana's offense look like that against even competition.

Next week v Louisville is when we start to get some answers. It's a big game. I already have that nervous energy thinking about it. Go Hoosiers. LEO.
Something that has been glaring to me over the course of both games is that there is consistently a breakdown from an OL man, a TE, or a WR on making a block. It was more noticeable to me against ISU because there’s not the “superior athlete” excuse built in.

Jaylin CAN house anything if he gets an opening. But he won’t get many chances if they don’t make their sealing blocks to give him that lane to get outside and upfield.

We’ve come a long way from the outstanding WR blocking from Westbrook & Hale.

Something that has been glaring to me over the course of both games is that there is consistently a breakdown from an OL man, a TE, or a WR on making a block. It was more noticeable to me against ISU because there’s not the “superior athlete” excuse built in.

Jaylin CAN house anything if he gets an opening. But he won’t get many chances if they don’t make their sealing blocks to give him that lane to get outside and upfield.

We’ve come a long way from the outstanding WR blocking from Westbrook & Hale.
Yeah, if it's my offense on day one I say, if you want to play WR for me you're going to run block. If you don't want to run block that's fine, but you're not going to play.
I did see an outstanding block by Carter in the 2nd half. Turned a short gain into a first down.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMFT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT