ADVERTISEMENT

Is incremental improvement enough at this point?

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
I think it’s obvious the team is better this year. Not a lot better, but more solid, for sure.

But assuming we “can’t” beat either Mich or PSU…we have to win 5 out of 7 in our other games, to become bowl eligible. That does include Akron, but it also includes Wisconsin. Tall task. Likely not going to happen.

So let’s say we beat Akron, and win 2-3 conference games. Good enough for us fans to give him another year? Obviously what the admin and Dolson think is all that matters.

I know bowl games are a symbolic measure, and we “should” expect to compete for bowl bids. But as much as I am NOT a fan of Allen… beating Akron, MSU, Illinois, and Purdue, as an example of a 5 win season…and I wouldn’t be overly upset if Allen got another year. Especially if all our games are relatively competitive, if we retain a large part of our staff again, and if Tayven continues to progress.

I think it’s obvious the team is better this year. Not a lot better, but more solid, for sure.

But assuming we “can’t” beat either Mich or PSU…we have to win 5 out of 7 in our other games, to become bowl eligible. That does include Akron, but it also includes Wisconsin. Tall task. Likely not going to happen.

So let’s say we beat Akron, and win 2-3 conference games. Good enough for us fans to give him another year? Obviously what the admin and Dolson think is all that matters.

I know bowl games are a symbolic measure, and we “should” expect to compete for bowl bids. But as much as I am NOT a fan of Allen… beating Akron, MSU, Illinois, and Purdue, as an example of a 5 win season…and I wouldn’t be overly upset if Allen got another year. Especially if all our games are relatively competitive, if we retain a large part of our staff again, and if Tayven continues to progress.
$20 mil is awfully hard to overcome and probably the only number that really matters. Only scenario I see where Dolson even entertains the idea of firing Allen if Indiana State is the only win of the season.

$20 mil is awfully hard to overcome and probably the only number that really matters. Only scenario I see where Dolson even entertains the idea of firing Allen if Indiana State is the only win of the season.
Could be.

I think 2-10, with ISU and Akron as the wins…and I just can’t fathom him being retained. Maybe if all the remaining losses are by 1 score, and if we have a ton of injuries.

But I think retaining him after 2-3 such straight seasons, would be blaring warning sign that Dolson is ok with inept programs. No ADs want that perception.

But…obviously the buyout is a factor. And the fact that Dolson gave him the buyout is a factor as well. So I don’t think it’ll take a ton more wins.

And as fed up as I am with the repeated mistakes and mismanagement of games…it does feel like we’re trending upward right now. I “think” we’re a better football team than more than a couple of our remaining opponents. In recent years, I knew we rarely ever were.

Could be.

I think 2-10, with ISU and Akron as the wins…and I just can’t fathom him being retained. Maybe if all the remaining losses are by 1 score, and if we have a ton of injuries.

But I think retaining him after 2-3 such straight seasons, would be blaring warning sign that Dolson is ok with inept programs. No ADs want that perception.

But…obviously the buyout is a factor. And the fact that Dolson gave him the buyout is a factor as well. So I don’t think it’ll take a ton more wins.

And as fed up as I am with the repeated mistakes and mismanagement of games…it does feel like we’re trending upward right now. I “think” we’re a better football team than more than a couple of our remaining opponents. In recent years, I knew we rarely ever were.
I don’t think it’s a question that this is a better team than last year. But this isn’t year 2 or 3, it’s year 7, competitiveness and moral victories don’t move the needle for me.

Hard W-L record doesn’t matter to me as far as indication of quality.

If IU goes 2-10 but those next 8 losses are one score games with a chance to tie/win in the last 3 minutes, IU isn’t a “bad team” because they didn’t get each of those games just as much as they wouldn’t be a “great” team if they got them all and were 10-2.

I was encouraged by OSU
Somewhat discouraged by ISU
Encouraged by UL (insomuch as they showed the ability to be a good team when they execute).

At this point, Maryland looks like they are probably the third-best team left we have to face. And they aren't unbeatable. Assuming we beat Akron (which, I mean, if we don't . . .), that means we would need to win 4 of 6 remaining winnable games. Barring some major injury setbacks, which have been a somewhat ignored (though not explanatory) factor the last few years, there's no reason that should be an unreasonable ask. Especially since Rutgers, Wisconsin, and Michigan State are at home, meaning we'd only have to beat one team on the road if we took care of business at home.
I don’t think it’s a question that this is a better team than last year. But this isn’t year 2 or 3, it’s year 7, competitiveness and moral victories don’t move the needle for me.
Just as a hypothetical, what if Aaron Casey or Mangum-Farrar go down, we lose Camper or McCulley again, and we lose one or two key secondary pieces to injury and go a competitive 5-7. Is there still no leeway in your eyes in that kind of scenario?

Definitely get that. But does 6 wins get it…where 5 doesn’t?

Hard W-L record doesn’t matter to me as far as indication of quality.

If IU goes 2-10 but those next 8 losses are one score games with a chance to tie/win in the last 3 minutes, IU isn’t a “bad team” because they didn’t get each of those games just as much as they wouldn’t be a “great” team if they got them all and were 10-2.

I was encouraged by OSU
Somewhat discouraged by ISU
Encouraged by UL (insomuch as they showed the ability to be a good team when they execute).
I kind of wonder what was discouraging about the ISU game. I mean, we held them below 100 total yards, and all but 20-something of the yards they did get came in one quarter where they still didn't score offensively. And offensively, we gained 550+, beat the spread, and probably score at least three more points, probably seven with how that drive was rolling, if Jaylin doesn't fumble.

Not being impressed I get, since they are bad even among FCS teams, but disappointed?

Could be.

The IU administration is absolutely okay with an inept football program. Otherwise we would have a state of the art practice facility and our football team wouldn’t have to share the weight room with athletes from other sports.

The IU alumni/boosters are absolutely okay with an inept football program. Otherwise, NIL money would be rolling in by the millions.

• Sad
Reactions: td75
I kind of wonder what was discouraging about the ISU game. I mean, we held them below 100 total yards, and all but 20-something of the yards they did get came in one quarter where they still didn't score offensively. And offensively, we gained 550+, beat the spread, and probably score at least three more points, probably seven with how that drive was rolling, if Jaylin doesn't fumble.

Not being impressed I get, since they are bad even among FCS teams, but disappointed?
It just didn’t “feel” as dominating as I would’ve liked to have seen.

There were still problems with outside containment on D and ISU had a guy WIDE open on a swing pass but they missed the pass. So, coverage issue.

The IU running game had a good avg but it was pumped up, in my estimation, by some good chunk plays. I would’ve wanted to see a legit 4-4.5 YPC.

I thought the offense had to get bailed out by a lot of third and long or third and medium passes that wouldn’t work against big teams.

The ISU result was fine, but discouraging to me in what it was vs what I hoped it would have been.

Could be.

Dolson including the buyout was just a repetition of the buyout Glass gave Allen in his previous contract. It was a given that Dolson would do the same.

The problem, as I posted elsewhere, is that Dolson also changed the guaranteed portion of the contract (from 3 years @ 100% and 4 years at 50% to 4 years @ 100% and 3 years @ 50%). If Dolson had used the same guarantee formula that Glass did, the buyout next December would be $10 million instead of $20.

At this point, Maryland looks like they are probably the third-best team left we have to face. And they aren't unbeatable. Assuming we beat Akron (which, I mean, if we don't . . .), that means we would need to win 4 of 6 remaining winnable games. Barring some major injury setbacks, which have been a somewhat ignored (though not explanatory) factor the last few years, there's no reason that should be an unreasonable ask. Especially since Rutgers, Wisconsin, and Michigan State are at home, meaning we'd only have to beat one team on the road if we took care of business at home.

Just as a hypothetical, what if Aaron Casey or Mangum-Farrar go down, we lose Camper or McCulley again, and we lose one or two key secondary pieces to injury and go a competitive 5-7. Is there still no leeway in your eyes in that kind of scenario?
He’s going to see year 8 barring just a disastrous next 2.5 months. I don’t see a way he sees year 9 unless he wins 7/8 games in 2024.

Bottom line: Because of his contract/buyout, Allen has 2 years to make a bowl. If he does, he stays, if he doesn't he's gone.

Reactions: Radio Zero
The Hoosiers main problem now is that any improvements are Band-Aid solutions.

The irony of the Hoosiers "breakout" year was that it had zero non-conference games. And every game was played in an empty stadium. Virtually every player came back with an extra year of eligibility. And the Hoosiers responded by losing every conference game. And losing them badly.

Now the Hoosiers are dependent upon rebuilding the team through the portal. Every year Next year they will have to do the same thing again. Following Tom Allen's eventual dismissal the team will once again be devoid of returning upperclassmen and will again have to run to the portal. They will have to have a new recognizable coaching staff in place before the season ends so they can once again Band-Aid together a roster for the following year.

There's a good chance that the following year's team will be even worse. Similar to Bill Mallory losing every game his first season. There will be no continuity and most likely no LEO. Not an exciting proposition for a new coaching staff with a new team for which the cupboards are bare.

He’s going to see year 8 barring just a disastrous next 2.5 months. I don’t see a way he sees year 9 unless he wins 7/8 games in 2024.
Every time Tom Allen wins six games and qualifies for a bowl game he is going to get an additional year added to his contract.

If he can win six games every year he has a contract for life. The odds of that increase dramatically with the cancellation of two games against Louisville if they can replace the Cardinals with the Little Sisters of the
Poor. Thank you Scott .

Last edited:
Reactions: iueyedoc99

bowl or bust!

Reactions: DThompson
I agree with this prediction . . . The buyout is simply too big, even with the offsets that would occur. Were he to move on, I think his nearer term option would be as a position coach and not a coordinator. He’ll make good money but it would be a fraction of what he’s earning now and the offset wouldn’t be very impactful. He’s got the leverage right now.

I think this is setting the bar low which has become the expectation of this school and most of the fans. You have to have an expectation from administration and fans that we want to become a championship team and to meet that expectation it requires A,B,C,etc. Smart administrations demand it (they know the huge benefits it brings like alumni $$). Do the fans and the administration look at basketball in the same mindset ?

To the extent we are better some of it is due to finally having a better offensive line coach. We need to remember for years it was obvious our offensive line was bad, our QBs suffered, literally, because of it. Yet Allen kept his friend, the OL coach. That Is Not Loving Our Players!

We need to require that, no matter what happens the rest of the season, Tom Allen will never be given another extension or raise at IU. We owe that to our players!

Reactions: jponce
The Hoosiers main problem now is that any improvements are Band-Aid solutions.

The irony of the Hoosiers "breakout" year was that it had zero non-conference games. And every game was played in an empty stadium. Virtually every player came back with an extra year of eligibility. And the Hoosiers responded by losing every conference game. And losing them badly.

Now the Hoosiers are dependent upon rebuilding the team through the portal. Every year Next year they will have to do the same thing again. Following Tom Allen's eventual dismissal the team will once again be devoid of returning upperclassmen and will again have to run to the portal. They will have to have a new recognizable coaching staff in place before the season ends so they can once again Band-Aid together a roster for the following year.

There's a good chance that the following year's team will be even worse. Similar to Bill Mallory losing every game his first season. There will be no continuity and most likely no LEO. Not an exciting proposition for a new coaching staff with a new team for which the cupboards are bare.
I don't think we will have to rebuild next year. We'll lose ACE/Pierre/Bedford/Camper, a couple of the guys that came as grad transfers A Carter/Mangum-Farrar/D Carter. Think most of the transfers had multiple years left.

Think most of those positions we have younger guys that should be able to step up OL/WR/DB. Might need LB and DE. I could be wrong, didn't check the roster.

Jackson looks to be the guy, we have several younger OL/WRs, so the offense should get better as this year progresses and continue that into next year. The Defense is pretty solid this year, so just need to develop the depth this to take more playing time next year.

In this new system, think we always need to use the Portal, but don't think we'll need to hit it as hard as this year.

I understand what you are saying, but the truth of the matter was that ISU's QB was godawful and there is no way the D should have given up that long drive in the second quarter. I went back and looked at it and they had runs of 11, 7, 8 and 11 on that drive. Doesn't look like much but again, they had 0 passing game. My IU football bat signal went on when I saw that. We played great in the first quarter. The O had something like 240 yards the 1st 3 drives. If we play 80% as well on O and D in the 2nd quarter, we lead 35-7 at halftime (they had the one fluke D score), and no one cares what happens after that.

Then we come out and play a mediocre 3rd quarter as well. They regained their footing and closed it out well, but it was just a signal that the herky jerky performances we've seen in past years would continue. That's why the 1st half v. UL was just surprising, not shocking.

Mathematically , there's very little chance for this team to win 6 games.

Let's say we have a 50% chance to beat Wisky, 50% chance to beat Rutgers, 60% chance to beat MSU (all at home), 30% chance to beat MD and 40% chance to beat Purdue (both on the road)..........If winning 6 means having to beat Wisky, Rutgers and MSU and 1/2 of MD or Purdue.....the odds of beating all of the first 3 are 15%, and the odds of beating either of the last 2 are 70%, meaning that the odds of winning 6 are a little over 10%.

Human nature is to think that because we have a good chance of beating each of the first 3 and a fair chance of beating each of the last two, we have a more than decent shot of winning 4 of the 6. Optimism rules in fandom. Mathematically, and also in real life, it doesn't work out that way. This is why 80% of college football forums are angry places near year's end.

I think this is setting the bar low which has become the expectation of this school and most of the fans. You have to have an expectation from administration and fans that we want to become a championship team and to meet that expectation it requires A,B,C,etc. Smart administrations demand it (they know the huge benefits it brings like alumni $$). Do the fans and the administration look at basketball in the same mindset ?
Oh I agree...I'm baking in what we all know of our admins historical actions towards football.

I've posted many times what I think we should do, and it would cost a lot of money. I don't think we'll do that. So despite my frustration with the program, I'm wondering if a 3,4,5 win season that continues to show improvements...like it seems to be showing thus far...if sticking with him and his staff for another year or two isn't the best, realistic course of action.

The best course of action is a complete change in approach, budget, mindset, expectation level, etc... That isn't going to happen. Allen might be the best guy, with the right staff around him, to get us to "respectable"???? And since he reminds me of Tom Crean, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit typing that.

Reactions: secondasky
I don't think it's low expectations. They are spending a lot of money. They thought they caught lightning in a bottle with Allen with the 2 good seasons and offered him a contract with a ridiculous buyout and can't afford to get out from under it now.

This far into Allen's tenure, a decent bowl game should absolutely be the expectation. If it's not, then what exactly are we doing???

Most places would expect 8 wins or more.....
Sounds like you're saying all teams in the B10 should win 8 games every year? Is that even possible? If it were, then isn't it possible IU would still finish near the bottom of the B10 while still winning 8 games?

Sounds like you're saying all teams in the B10 should win 8 games every year? Is that even possible? If it were, then isn't it possible IU would still finish near the bottom of the B10 while still winning 8 games?
My thinking is that he's been in the job for quite some time and having bowl expectations is par for the course.

My thinking is that he's been in the job for quite some time and having bowl expectations is par for the course.
I think your expectations are reasonable, but given the IU administrations long-term failure to adequately support the footbal program, don't you think that part of the reason the football program can barely keep its head above water under Coach Allen? Since, we know that's the case, this is part of why no big name football coach would ever want this job, because they would be signing up for sure failure & a future firing. Have you ever stopped to consider any of these things?

I think your expectations are reasonable, but given the IU administrations long-term failure to adequately support the footbal program, don't you think that part of the reason the football program can barely keep its head above water under Coach Allen? Since, we know that's the case, this is part of why no big name football coach would ever want this job, because they would be signing up for sure failure & a future firing. Have you ever stopped to consider any of these things?
We’ve lost 17 of our last 19 conference games and 20 of our last 27 overall. I won’t argue that our administration hasn’t adequately supported football throughout the years, but I don’t think our current stretch of futility can be solely attributed to that lack of support.

Money talks

Reactions: midwolfe
I don't think it's low expectations. They are spending a lot of money. They thought they caught lightning in a bottle with Allen with the 2 good seasons and offered him a contract with a ridiculous buyout and can't afford to get out from under it now.
What you describe happened twice, not once. First with the previous AD after the 2019 season, then again 15 months later with the current AD. It was Glass who set the contractual precedent ( 7 years, automatic 1 year extensions for bowl games, expensive buyout). Dolson just replaced an expensive contract with what is essentially a more expensive version of the same thing.

Reactions: Jackskip23
I don't think we will have to rebuild next year. We'll lose ACE/Pierre/Bedford/Camper, a couple of the guys that came as grad transfers A Carter/Mangum-Farrar/D Carter. Think most of the transfers had multiple years left.

Think most of those positions we have younger guys that should be able to step up OL/WR/DB. Might need LB and DE. I could be wrong, didn't check the roster.

Jackson looks to be the guy, we have several younger OL/WRs, so the offense should get better as this year progresses and continue that into next year. The Defense is pretty solid this year, so just need to develop the depth this to take more playing time next year.

In this new system, think we always need to use the Portal, but don't think we'll need to hit it as hard as this year.
You're assuming we don't lose guys in the portal.

I really don’t care about a “big name coach.” they are not coming.. I want someone who knows what they are doing. I could pull 5 names out of a hat coaching in the G5 that would run circles around Allen in managing a program.
Willie Fritz - but he’s poised for big programs.
Jeremy Chadwell - very good
Curt Cignetti - in 4 seasons at JMU, he’s 41-8. And, he was a former Alabama assistant.
Jason Candle at Toledo.
Jon Sumrall - Troy

All would be infinitely better tha Allen at doing this job.

The time for incremental improvement was 4 seasons ago. It’s year #7 for God’s sake.

Reactions: jsenleo
Definitely get that. But does 6 wins get it…where 5 doesn’t?
5 wins will give Allen another year. 4 might be enough with his buyout cost. Allen should fire Bell if he wants a chance to extend his time at IU. I don't see Allen firing anyone or being around long. Hiller stayed too long and Bell will as well.

Season ticket holders received a questionnaire on facility upgrades. My answers focused on spending money first to improve the play on the field to bring fans into the stands. Make a commitment to show we want to win. Then add luxury boxes or whatever is in the final plans.

The dropped balls were bad, no doubt. Way too many!! Thankfully Akron was dropping balls at the same rate!! That said, the offensive play calling (and execution) was abysmal. 10 points by the O in regulation vs a MAC team, stuffed multiple times At the goal line with zero creativity until the game’s last play.

Lucas needs the ball on the edge, in space, NOT BETWEEN THE TACKLES!!! WR screens, shovel passes, end around. Bell is an absolute disaster.

Reactions: midwolfe
Tom Allen, who hired Bell and how many other inept coaches is an absolute disaster. I get that we can’t afford to fire him but if he were half the man some here think he is he’d realize he’s not doing his job and failing his team and failing IU and representing his religion badly, and quit or at least agree to a much cheaper buyout. IU has already made him a much richer man than he could have expected to be given his skills.
If he won’t do that it should be announced what should be obvious, that he will not be renewed. At some point neither he nor his coaches should be able to recruit or sign anyone. Leave a clean slate for the next coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT