ADVERTISEMENT

2 things for Cig to win big this year

1. Win the Bucket
2. Win the Bowl

Then he'd become the biggest single season winner at IU since Mal.

Not a tall task, in my opinion, but few coaches at IU have accomplished both in the same year.
I have more confidence in all the O position groups (QB, WR, TB, OL, TE) than in the DL, LBs and DBs. I'm hoping that the 3-5 transfers he's looking for are on the D side (other than the JMU WR if he wants to come....too good to pass up).

2020 is still the high point of Indiana since the Rose Bowl and just because Allen's tenure ended terribly doesn't negate that. We didn't get the bowl win but we beat Penn State for the second time ever, beat Wisconsin for the first time in 18 years, beat Michigan for the first time in 33 years, and had both the highest peak and final polling since the Rose Bowl season. Sure COVID year was weird, and lots of teams will tell you it doesn't count cough Michigan cough, but it's in the record books.

That being said, a Bucket and bowl win in the same season has only been done twice in '88 and '91, both by Bill Mallory. If Cignetti can pull it off year 1 it will be historic and give a lot of hope for the future.

2020 is still the high point of Indiana since the Rose Bowl and just because Allen's tenure ended terribly doesn't negate that. We didn't get the bowl win but we beat Penn State for the second time ever, beat Wisconsin for the first time in 18 years, beat Michigan for the first time in 33 years, and had both the highest peak and final polling since the Rose Bowl season. Sure COVID year was weird, and lots of teams will tell you it doesn't count cough Michigan cough, but it's in the record books.

That being said, a Bucket and bowl win in the same season has only been done twice in '88 and '91, both by Bill Mallory. If Cignetti can pull it off year 1 it will be historic and give a lot of hope for the future.
I'd argue that 87 was the high point. We didn't win our bowl, but basically played for the BIG championship on the next to last weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT