ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court to decide Trump immunity claim

Eh. I dunno. I get paid to argue. I don't usually sell the milk when I can mortgage the cow for free.

(I butchered this idiom on purpose, don't @ me about it)

In truth, I don't care for arguing that much. What did I accomplish today? The people who already agreed with me probably still do, and the people who didn't still don't.
trust me. many of us on here have gotten paid to argue. it doesn't mean much. mailbox checks are much better.

Eh that's the nature of it. no one is changing any minds. come unload on strangers about political shit so you get it off your chest and spare your friends and family. there's lots of good posters who have fun here on other topics too.

it's not about accomplishing anything. it's a diversion while you do other things. i don't have anyone to sext with anymore so this and my friend groups are welcomed while working, watching tv, wondering how it's possible that i have a 3 year old scowling at me, etc.

Last edited:
In truth, I don't care for arguing that much. What did I accomplish today? The people who already agreed with me probably still do, and the people who didn't still don't.

Please do stick around. We don't have enough lawyers around here.

Seriously, if you can learn to wade through the shit posting and pissing matches without getting caught up in them, we do have some good discussions and quite a bit of fun. Smack talk is highly encouraged. I'll even promise not to tell your mom.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
trust me. many of us on here have gotten paid to argue. it doesn't mean much. mailbox checks are much better.

Eh that's the nature of it. no one is changing any minds. come unload on strangers about political shit so you get it off your chest and spare your friends and family. there's lots of good posters who have fun here on other topics too.

it's not about accomplishing anything. it's a diversion while you do other things. i don't have anyone to sext with anymore so this and my friend groups are welcomed while working, watching tv, wondering how it's possible that i have a 3 year old scowling at me, etc.
I don't have those needs, but I certainly don't begrudge you your diversions and releases.

See you guys in 8 months.

Your analysis is wrong but I'm proud of you for writing original content and not simply re-posting something that some idiot posted on X. Your post merits a thoughtful response.

The Court of Appeals ruled, in essence, that former president Trump is now citizen Trump and, as such, does not enjoy immunity from prosecution. "Any executive immunity that may have protected him while he served as president no longer protects him against this prosecution," the court held.

The Supreme Court disagrees with that sweeping approach. We can be sure of that because: a) they wouldn't have taken it up if they agreed; and b) the questions from some of the justices at oral argument reflect that they're looking at this with a sharper focus.

The standard isn't, as you've suggested, what's "trivial" and what isn't. The Supreme Court's focus will be on private conduct versus official acts. Trump's counsel conceded at oral argument that some of his post-election conduct targeting the election results was private (e.g. asking Rudy to spread false election fraud claims) so there's little doubt this prosecution - - in whole or in part - - will move forward.

The Court will do one of two things in the decision that's handed down later this week or next. They'll either decide for themselves what actions are private and what are official, with the latter affording immunity, or they'll set a standard for immunity and instruct the trial court to make the determination as to whether relevant conduct was official or private. If the Court goes with that second option, the case would be remanded to the trial court for a determination as to which actions were private and, accordingly, can be prosecuted.
Saw an interesting analysis on what Smith might do if SCOTUS rules certain acts are protected...

Saw an interesting analysis on what Smith might do if SCOTUS rules certain acts are protected...

Guy makes some good points. Trump is not going to get absolute immunity and it’s likely that some portion of the indictment will not be subject to any remand order. Smith could opt to proceed with the portion of his case that is not subject to further review. It’s a long shot but, if that set of circumstances were to play out, the case could be tried prior to 11/5.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Guy makes some good points. Trump is not going to get absolute immunity and it’s likely that some portion of the indictment will not be subject to any remand order. Smith could opt to proceed with the portion of his case that is not subject to further review. It’s a long shot but, if that set of circumstances were to play out, the case could be tried prior to 11/5.
Not happening. The Supremes will say he's immune for official acts, and will remand the case back to the district court to decide what's official and what's not. That will be briefed and argued and any decision not favoring Trump will again be appealed back up the chain. Look for a trial date of early 2026. If ever.

Not happening. The Supremes will say he's immune for official acts, and will remand the case back to the district court to decide what's official and what's not. That will be briefed and argued and any decision not favoring Trump will again be appealed back up the chain. Look for a trial date of early 2026. If ever.
I talked about this in #441. We’re going to have to wait and see exactly what the Supreme Court decides and what they kick back to Chutkan. I agree that the case will likely be tried after the election but there’s not a zero chance the trial precedes it.

Reactions: UncleMark
I talked about this in #441. We’re going to have to wait and see exactly what the Supreme Court decides and what they kick back to Chutkan. I agree that the case will likely be tried after the election but there’s not a zero chance the trial precedes it.
Yeah, but I'm right and you're wrong. Don't make me use my hammer.

Yeah, but I'm right and you're wrong. Don't make me use my hammer.
Danny Devito Mic Drop GIF by Roald Dahl Story Company

So does anyone think today is the day? Late Friday release would be on brand for this bunch.

So does anyone think today is the day? Late Friday release would be on brand for this bunch.
I would bet on the last day they release any decisions. Then Clarence will hop in his RV and hightail it out of that swamp. Cannon can replace him next year. Lagoa replaces Alito. Not sure who Sotomayors replacement will be yet.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_mya1phvcpf5x4
I would bet on the last day they release any decisions. Then Clarence will hop in his RV and hightail it out of that swamp. Cannon can replace him next year. Lagoa replaces Alito. Not sure who Sotomayors replacement will be yet.
trying to expand the swamp? Just add water lol

Your analysis is wrong but I'm proud of you for writing original content and not simply re-posting something that some idiot posted on X. Your post merits a thoughtful response.

The Court of Appeals ruled, in essence, that former president Trump is now citizen Trump and, as such, does not enjoy immunity from prosecution. "Any executive immunity that may have protected him while he served as president no longer protects him against this prosecution," the court held.

The Supreme Court disagrees with that sweeping approach. We can be sure of that because: a) they wouldn't have taken it up if they agreed; and b) the questions from some of the justices at oral argument reflect that they're looking at this with a sharper focus.

The standard isn't, as you've suggested, what's "trivial" and what isn't. The Supreme Court's focus will be on private conduct versus official acts. Trump's counsel conceded at oral argument that some of his post-election conduct targeting the election results was private (e.g. asking Rudy to spread false election fraud claims) so there's little doubt this prosecution - - in whole or in part - - will move forward.

The Court will do one of two things in the decision that's handed down later this week or next. They'll either decide for themselves what actions are private and what are official, with the latter affording immunity, or they'll set a standard for immunity and instruct the trial court to make the determination as to whether relevant conduct was official or private. If the Court goes with that second option, the case would be remanded to the trial court for a determination as to which actions were private and, accordingly, can be prosecuted.
The Supreme Court, I'm afraid is bought and paid for.

Reactions: Indyhorn
The Supreme Court, I'm afraid is bought and paid for.
Were they bought and paid for when the upheld an unconstitutional Obamacare? When they refused to intervene in the clearly unconstitutional 2020 election? We could keep going.

Every swing justice that has been on the court for 50+ years was appointed by a Republican. We've had lefty justices like Stevens and Souter who were appointed by a Republican President. Has a Democrat President appointed anyone like that?

Were they bought and paid for when the upheld an unconstitutional Obamacare? When they refused to intervene in the clearly unconstitutional 2020 election? We could keep going.
Yea, you could keep going with the bull shit but why bother when we aren't fooled ;)

There was nothing unconstitutional about the election or obamacare. Even completely bought out Justices have some limits.

Reactions: Willdog7
I don’t think Biden will choose those justices….

Reactions: cosmickid

Every swing justice that has been on the court for 50+ years was appointed by a Republican. We've had lefty justices like Stevens and Souter who were appointed by a Republican President. Has a Democrat President appointed anyone like that?
Which ones are taking bribes? Excuse me….best friends with people who constantly pay for fancy trips, family houses, etc? A Dem?

trump has paid them to destroy democracy, that's a big difference. no POTUS is above the law. Your examples do not compare.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Eh. No conclusive evidence, maybe, but if the courts had an inspector general, you can bet there would be an active open file on Thomas right now.
I haven’t followed this. Who bribed him and what did he get in return?

I’ll tell ya an odd thing about really wealthy people. They like having people of power and/or fame to call as friends. Like one more thing to collect. A couple mil to say Thomas is a buddy may be for nothing more than that. Status

Eh. No conclusive evidence, maybe, but if the courts had an inspector general, you can bet there would be an active open file on Thomas right now.
My two cents: the appearance of impropriety is strong and he should be censured for it under The Code of Conduct for United State Judges, Rule 2A.

I do not see any evidence of bribery, though, or a violation of Rule 2B.

As is typical, though, politicians and now their willing allies in the media exaggerate and make too strong of a case. Both sides do this, obviously, and neither side seems to care about the damage being done to public confidence in the judiciary and rule of law.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT