ADVERTISEMENT

Silicon Valley Bank has failed

I need some of whatever you're taking or inhaling. :) :)
Chicago Med Episode 6 GIF by NBC

Check your dms. I sent some pics.

I wish. I have too many damn kids and am trying to stay married. I’m already handsome and charming. It’s difficult enough keeping them away with a Dad body

My lbs are increasing fast this year. Kids, stress, no time for sleep let alone working out

That's supposed to be in equities, not bonds/credit. There's supposed to be a limit on how much risk you can take with bank deposits . . . but there wasn't because the Trump administration wanted to - and did - eliminate the risk management in Dodd-Frank. Read The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis to get a sense of what this is about.

Here's a good take. Hedging (an obvious and important risk management tool for banks) was not used by SVB.

That’s why banks hedge (!) the lion share of the interest rate risk coming from their HQLA investments.

The problems with SVB?

SVB had a gigantic investment portfolio as a % of total assets at 57% (average US bank: 24%) and 78% was in Mortgage-Backed Securities (Citi or JPM: around 30%) and most importantly they DID NOT hedge interest rate risk at all!

The duration of their huge portfolio before and after interest rate hedges was…the same?!

Effectively, there were NO hedges.

This means SVB was not applying basic risk management practices, and exposing its investors and depositors to a gigantic amount of risk.

Economically speaking, a $120 bn bond portfolio with a 5.6y non-hedged duration means that every 10 bps move higher in 5-year interest rate lost the bank almost $700 million.

100 bps? $7 billion economic loss.
200 bps? $14 billion economic loss.
Basically the entire bank’s capital wiped out.

Would that have been different if they were subject to the old Dodd Frank scrutiny with their "stress tests"?

Just think, a supposed tough regulator and banking committee legislator backed and advised (as a fiduciary) this joke of a bank

Reactions: larsIU
Exactly my question. Large bank depositors have risks beyond the FDIC limits. If we want to have totally risk free deposits of any amount, we can do that, but the FDIC insurance rates need to increase. Or, a better idea, if a large depositor wants to eliminate risk, set up an insurance arrangement where that depositor can pay for its own insurance. This idea of waiving the law to meet political ends is BS.

Besides, I don’t believe what we are told about no taxpayer funds. If the FDIC runs short, congress will backfill. At the very least, FDIC rates will increase and we all pay those.
It is all monopoly money at this point anyway.

Reactions: DANC
Or, a better idea, if a large depositor wants to eliminate risk, set up an insurance arrangement where that depositor can pay for its own insurance.

Advocating for more insurance... what a world!

The problem lies where depositors are effectively acting as creditors, but unable to conduct appropriate due diligence on a bank to understand the risk.

Would that have been different if they were subject to the old Dodd Frank scrutiny with their "stress tests"?

Talk about bad looks:

He didn’t register as a lobbyist, but appeared frequently on television and in opinion pieces and newspaper articles to weigh in on the 2018 plan to roll back pieces of his namesake bill.

He told The Wall Street Journal in 2017 that the $50 billion threshold in Dodd-Frank was “arbitrary” and “seemed like a much bigger number” than it was.

And in a March 2018 op-ed for CNBC, he wrote that the limit was “a mistake” and that a higher amount—he suggested $100 billion—“could in fact provide a more competitive environment, lessening, even marginally, the foundation of the mega banks.”

Advocating for more insurance... what a world!
Shhhhhhhhh...some of us have liberal arts degrees a-hole.

The development of insurance was a good thing for society and still is. But yes, it is not costless.
Concur. And costs are the good years of any claims adjuster.

(Gen X + Claims Adjuster) = the most jaded people in history

Talk about bad looks:

He didn’t register as a lobbyist, but appeared frequently on television and in opinion pieces and newspaper articles to weigh in on the 2018 plan to roll back pieces of his namesake bill.

He told The Wall Street Journal in 2017 that the $50 billion threshold in Dodd-Frank was “arbitrary” and “seemed like a much bigger number” than it was.

And in a March 2018 op-ed for CNBC, he wrote that the limit was “a mistake” and that a higher amount—he suggested $100 billion—“could in fact provide a more competitive environment, lessening, even marginally, the foundation of the mega banks.”
Frank suggested an increase from 50 to 100. They jumped it to 250. His own bank would have still been covered.

People were doubting we would see agreement during the last financial recession and it happened.
Yep. Never fail to take advantage of a crisis.

One party uses the crisis to do the "right thing", and the other party uses the crisis to authorize new spending.

If SVB had to mark-to-market these fixed income values and recognize real losses vs. a footnote in the quarterly filing, do you think the outcome would have been different?
Nope, my guess is the outcome would have been the same. But depositors would have had more information on which to make a decision whether to deposit their funds there.

That said, I'm not a fan of mark to market rules. It's only an accurate depiction of an asset bases' value temporarily - a snapshot - not a realistic depiction of the overall asset bases' value over time. It can reflect liquidity . . . but not value.

Perhaps requiring mark to market rules as part of a 10K would be a good idea, to reflect a company's liquidity, which is a factor in determining the company's current valuation.

It’s divisible. You can purchase a dollar worth of Bitcoin. It will buy around .00004 Bitcoin at current price levels.

You’re also thinking in fiat terms. Most of the price increases and asset appreciation comes from inflation and increases in money supply.
Putting all of that aside and assuming Bitcoin takes over everything (not likely anytime soon) and there are issues with divisibility. It could always be used as the base layer of money and they could run a layer 2 application on top of it.
You're right. I guess I'm too used to thinking in terms of classical economics to understand the appeal of Bitcoin. If the dollar collapses, I may see Bitcoin more clearly of necessity. It may be the only viable currency left.

How can this happen? The debt ceiling standoff is a good start.

You're right. I guess I'm too used to thinking in terms of classical economics to understand the appeal of Bitcoin. If the dollar collapses, I may see Bitcoin more clearly of necessity. It may be the only viable currency left.

How can this happen? The debt ceiling standoff is a good start.
Interesting. I just assumed at some point I’d give my bitcoin to my daughter to use on Minecraft or something

Yep. In a flight to quality, investors sell riskier assets and buy less risky assets (treasuries, JGBs, gold).
That plus the failure of SVB makes rate increases less likely by the FED. How the FED sees the dynamics of the failure of SVB and the failure's impact on inflation will help determine the frequency, size and duration of FED rate increases.

The big shots in the company should be required to keep more than 50% of their assets in the bank they run.
Then they'd be accused of profiteering off the bank operations and the "system" being rigged in their favor.

They can't win; goes with the territory.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Interesting. I just assumed at some point I’d give my bitcoin to my daughter to use on Minecraft or something
Jamie is probably right, though; the debt ceiling will get raised.

The question is what is the appetite for more US government debt? Investors might be less interested these days than they have been for the last 40 years.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Nope, my guess is the outcome would have been the same. But depositors would have had more information on which to make a decision whether to deposit their funds there.

That said, I'm not a fan of mark to market rules. It's only an accurate depiction of an asset bases' value temporarily - a snapshot - not a realistic depiction of the overall asset bases' value over time. It can reflect liquidity . . . but not value.

Perhaps requiring mark to market rules as part of a 10K would be a good idea, to reflect a company's liquidity, which is a factor in determining the company's current valuation.

I acknowledge that values change considerably (why I'm against taxation of paper gains vs. capital gains). But in this case, MtM would have demonstrated that SVB had liquidity problems. It may not have changed anything, only precipitated the run on the bank sooner.

I do also recognize that MtM accounting creates a host of outcomes, favorable and unfavorable. On one hand investors get access to more timely liquidity and current balance sheet values. On the other, I presume it can create some major gains and losses rather quickly, which are detrimental to stability.

I’m not boring enough personality-wise to know all of the compliance requirements.
Don't under rate yourself. 🤣

This mess shows me one thing... the Safe and Sound ratings are no better than a coin flip. I was just reading that First Republic May be the next bank to fold and I looked up their Safe and Sound rating and guess what.... they get an A.

Reactions: UncleMark
Don't under rate yourself. 🤣

This mess shows me one thing... the Safe and Sound ratings are no better than a coin flip. I was just reading that First Republic May be the next bank to fold and I looked up their Safe and Sound rating and guess what.... they get an A.
With unlimited backing from the federal government, that makes some sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT